Guest viewing is limited

THR 1 year post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Keecamp congrats for making it through the surgery. Sounds like a pretty normal 1st day unfortunately they are not so gentile. Be encouraged though they will get better. Strange thing is one day maybe a month or two down the line you will think all of a sudden you feel so much better. Here is the key don't go crazy on that day or during that week. You will feel totally healed and then when you over due it and feel like **** so take it easy even when you feel good. Recovery is a slow process but worth it when done right.
 
Medic - thank you so much for the encouraging words. Today feels like it will be one of the better days. I got out the hospital 2 days ago and I did my some physiotherapy first thing this morning. I see what I need to work on but I also see many improvements.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was told to do foot flex, heel slides, butt squeezes and when leg out flat - pushing knee down into mattress. Keep up the positive vibes and it will all be worth it :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Frieds - I just can't seem to do the foot slides..i can do it with a little help if someone holds onto my heal. The PT told me that my brain forgot how to do it. She suggested to press my back and my knee down, flex my foot towards me and bend my good leg upright then put a large garbage bag under my operated leg so it slides easier but it doesn't seem to be helping much. That's the only exercise that frustrates me because I know I have the strength and enough mobility to do so.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Keecamp, the heel slides are very difficult in the first few days. Your hip flexor muscle is not happy
right now, so it is hard and hurts. Don't push that too hard.
In a couple days, you will be surprised that it becomes easy.
 
Everything takes time @Keecamp....it will all get there in the end...slow and steady is the way x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi all, I haven't been back on the forum in a while. I went back to school and have been super busy.

So I am almost 23 years old (my birthday is next week). And I had AVN in my left hip which worsened over the course of 8 years, so I finally got a LTHR (posterior method), a little over 4 months ago I'm June.

I had a rough recovery at first. I lost a lot of blood and had to get 2 transfusions and stayed in the hospital for almost a full week. But thankfully I had a typical rehabilitation process afterwards. I actually just finished going to out-patient Physio last week. However I do have some concerns...

1. I still cannot put on or tie my own shoes without difficulty or assistance. And I was told by my physiotherapist that at this stage I should be able to do that by now. He told me that it might be because of some swelling that hasn't gone down yet.

2. I cannot lay on either side (left operated leg or "good" right leg) for very long. I get uncomfortable and have this weird sensation as if the blood isn't flowing as it should down my leg. And then I have to turn to lay on my back. (Which I hated during the 1st stages of recovery)

3. As I mentioned earlier I'm a student in university therefore my bags are really heavy and I find that when I walk a good distance (it doesn't even have to be for very long) that my knees and lower back on the left side starts to hurt along with a discomforting feeling in my hip.

4. My physiotherapist recommended that I start going to the gym to keep up with my exercises and re-gain strength and to assist me with my huge everlasting fatigue issue (even tho it's been 4 months since my surgery)

So I just wanted to know if any of this is normal and can anyone share their experiences with me and give any advice.
thanks hippies! ;)




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Keecamp - Sorry to hear about the tough-go with recovery!! It's been about 10 weeks for me and I still have trouble with shoes and bending...was told it takes a while to regain that muscle tone that was lost or never used. I also need to work on that through exercise and stretching. I am slowly making strides, but I have seen some improvements from prior to surgery. My Phys Therapist has just started massaging and stretching my hip/leg muscles (IT band, Adductor, and Abductor muscles) and that has helped a lot. Maybe you should see another PT and see about the stretching and massaging. He said they tighten up after surgery and need to be massaged, stretched and strengthened.
I too find it hard to sleep on the operated side, I did the other night and awoke to find my whole leg felt like it was asleep and tingly...it's also still a little painful to sleep on the non-operated side...if you do sleep on your side, be sure to put a pillow between your knees (very important).
My recommendation for the backpack/bag is get yourself a wheely backpack or small luggage on wheels to hold your books...heavy backpacks or shoulder bags will kill your back/hips...don't do it!!! it's just not worth it!! A lot of people/students wheel around small luggage to hold laptop and/or books, i think they are much kinder to your body in the long run.
I would definitely go to the gym and start out easy, bike for 10-15 min/day and work your way up weekly, also walk on treadmill, etc...just don't over do it. Do some of the exercises that PT showed you that you were doing.
 
@toohip

That's interesting that you've receive massages at Physio. I haven't gotten not even 1 massage to stretch my muscle. But I do see how that could help. Unfortunately I'm finished with my sessions so maybe I'll try it on my own for now and if I see no improvements I'll look for another physiotherapist.

Yes I have the same sensation as if my leg is asleep and it is still uncomfortable and slightly painful to sleep on my sides. Thankfully I have many pillows, it does help me sleep on my side longer but eventually I have to lay on my back again..

I've been so busy with school I barely have time to shop for anything hahaha. But ya I know I need to invest into a new bag. I'm a short girl, (only 5'2) so the weight is heavy for me.

And I went to the gym once so far. Boy was I sore the following day. I think that's why I stopped I was scared to hurt myself by going back. But you're right, I need to make it a habit of doing some exercises and stretching now.

I also hope all is well with you and your recovery. It gets much easier with time. Have you ditched the cane or crutches yet?




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Keecamp I had a RTHR in July. Before my op I could reach my foot reasonably easily but it's been much harder since and I still have some difficulty putting on socks/tights/shoes. I also have some difficulty sleeping on my side although that's been getting a lot better. I definitely think exercise helps but I do think it needs to be something really gentle, I think yoga and pilates type stretching exercises are great for getting back some flexibility. I've also been getting some knee and back pain particularly if I overdo it. I think that's just because I got so unfit doing nothing before my op, and I'm probably a slightly different shape and my body straighter now so I think it takes a bit of getting used to. Again I think gentle stretching exercise helps. Since I went back to work I've been busy and haven't done as much as I should but I do feel better when I do manage. And I've got a small wheely case for carrying work stuff and it's great. It's early days for us both, I'm sure we'll both see plenty more improvements :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@fasterpussycat

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience. And yea I do need to keep in mind that we are still in the early stages and that it is a long road to full recovery. I have difficulty putting on shoes, socks, pants, etc. somehow I manage but it's still very frustrating. Sleeping on my side is getting better with time but I was just wondering how long will it take until I can sleep on my side without any discomfort. And I also need to invest in a pull-bag on wheels or just try carrying few books and things around with me to spare my back pain. I started doing Pilates on a off a couple months before my surgery but since then I stopped completely. Thanks for bringing it up, I think I'll try to find some time and start exercising again.

I wish you a speedy recovery and don't give up. :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Keecamp

Do you sleep with a pillow between your legs? I find it takes pressure of the legs and hips yet I do use a jumbo pillow as I have long legs. Your physio should be working those areas that @fasterpussycat mentioned. The tightness that is prohibiting you from tying your shoes is due to very tight glut muscles... There are 3 glut muscles..the min, the med and the max. These are the ones that need specific stretching and continual icing afterward. Remember all these muscles aroundd your hip prior to replacement had probably atrophied and then to add a major surgery trauma to them......no wonder it's tight. If you swim, I recommend swimming and yes get a bag with rollers!
 
@Keecamp , with both my THRs I found any heavy lifting or prolonged carrying aggravated both my hip and back. Easy does it! Still early days for those muscles that may need strengthening. For months prior to your op you limped around. Those muscles atrophy while you are trying to stay off that sore hip and your pelvis may tilt as well. Once surgery is done your pelvis moves back into balance. It can take 3-4 months or more. This can aggravate back and hip and carrying any weight can make things worse. You'll get there!
 
@Keecamp

Just checking in to see how you are feeling? I also forgot to mention either ice or heat on your lower back will help as well.
 
@CanukTriMom

Thanks for checking up on me, that's very nice of you. Unfortunately my legs were hurting me last night, I was very uncomfortable. I just went to sleep and woke up feeling better.
I also just finished Physio and I've noticed that I do not exercise as much as I should. I also need to stretch more. Each day is getting better but I still have my bad days.
I do sleep with many pillows to help me go sleep in her at night


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Jaycey

I know my balance was off before surgery but I didn't notice until my recovery. My hips are re-adjusted now even after so many years of walking with a severe limp. I guess I'm just frustrated with the time time takes to recover. I came a long way but I will have a way's to go before I am completely healed. Thanks so much for the advice


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Keecamp - @Josephine will tell you that the best/only necessary exercise for hips is walking. If you are still having a lot of pain it may be worth cutting down or stopping the other exercises and doing some gentle walking each day and see how this makes you feel ? Plus a little gentle stretching, but perhaps less physio ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@fasterpussycat
Sorry for replying so late, I've been very busy with school and took a mini vacation for my birthday.

To answer your question...I have stopped going to Physio for about 3 weeks now and since then I don't exercise or stretch as much...so I'm starting to feel some stiffness in the hip. (In a fee days, it'll be 5 months since my THR). I also still cannot tie my shoes with ease, I have to use some sort of assistance, for exam one: sitting on a stool because a chair is too high. But I do go out and walk regularly. So I hope this improves over time


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Keecamp
Sorry to hear you are still having problems but I was relieved to read your post as I was beginning to think I was the only one here having similar issues at this stage. I am 4 months down the the line, tomorrow, from right THR and only very recently been able to get my shoe and sock on and am still sleeping on my back as it is painful to lie on both sides. I get a kind of deep pain in the hip lying on the operated side and can only last about 30 minutes in that position even with a pillow between my legs. And any walking ( with one elbow crutch) more than a short distance also causes discomfort. My hope is that all this is due to deep tissue still healing and continuing muscle weakness, as I have an underlying neurological condition, and that all of it will resolve with time.

I massage the outer thigh with Bio Oil daily and that seems to keep the tissues flexible and the scar line smooth. And I am continuing with an exercise programme mostly for my other problem, but I have to balance that with being careful not to irritate the hip.

On a positive note, today I was able to dry between my toes on the operated leg for the first time, after my shower!
 
@TinLizzie

I completely understand, however I'm thankful that I've been walking without support from a cane or anything else since mid-September. I haven't been exercising as much since I stopped Physio so that might not be helping my situation.

I understand the discomfort when sleeping too. I also hope it's just deep tissue that needs time to heal

Good job being able to towel dry...I can do some things but I might have to twist and bend in a certain way to do things like that or to put on my shoes

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom