Guest viewing is limited

THR 1 year post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Keecamp You have come to the right place for advice! I am almost 2 years out, my surgeon told me 18 months to 2 years for everything to finally heal internally - you are not quite 6 months! And had problems for a long time before, so your muscles will need a lot of building up.
Did you have a previous thread and did anyone give you a lot of articles to read? I'll tag @Poppet for you, she will give you the links.
Please remember - recovery is a marathon, not a sprint - and isn't it funny how we get excited when we can dry our toes again!
Regards
Anne
 
Hi there @Keecamp - Anne is very right, (thanks @Nannyannie ) recovery is a slow process and also a very individual one dependent on our lifestyle. You will get there! I sense you are achieving milestones every week :) Full recovery can take up to 18 months!

I have days (even 3 years post) where I just can't put socks and shoes on, then the next day all ok. I have noticed that it seems to happen when I am overtired. Have you been able to get a trolley bag for your books. I use lots of IT hardware in my job and from day one back at work found I needed one. Just be careful that you swap sides using it as I found that it made my back ache and caused a bit of swelling and I would get off balance with my gait, especially at the end if a long day? Sometimes I pushed it ahead of me (it is very free wheeling), just to exercise different muscles.

I would imagine with study, you are also sitting quite a lot and getting a wee bit stiff. I found that if I stood every 45 mins and just grabbed the back of my chair it helped. I would stretch on my toes and it felt Soooo good :)

I still sleep with a body pillow on my non operated side, more for the alignment of my lower back issues. Our sleeping positions is so personal, it is a matter of trying what works best for you.

Here are the links, Anne was referring to..

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

But first the BoneSmart mantra

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds as prescribed by your treating physician

- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone, especially a physiotherapist to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

And then the very important hip recovery articles.....

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

You will get there sweetie, it just takes time xx
 
Thanks so much for presenting more clarifying readings to me.

And wow, I've been told that it takes a min of 6 months to a max of 1 year to heal. Now knowing that it could take 1 1/2 years seems so far from now, since it hasn't even been 6 months yet.

I have many pillows on my bed to help me feel more comfortable at night but sometimes I still wake up with sore spots or aches but I guess that's normal. I'll take this over AVN any day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Try getting a massage or acupuncture. It's also cold. Muscle freezes up. Stretch, exercise and massage.
 
@Was_86
I am terrified of needles and don't think I could ever work up the courage to do acupuncture. Yes I know that supposedly you don't feel it, but I couldn't see myself doing it.

Massages are also expensive so I do want to get one some day but I might have to wait a while.

Guess I'll be doing home massages.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Keecamp I noticed a big, big difference between my 5th month and 6th month post-op. Much more flexibility, much easier climbing stairs, walking, carrying things, and sleeping. Going into my 5th month, I went through a phase of hardly sleeping, because I had transitioned from the dreaded back position to side position, but I still had some post-op tenderness and my hips on both sides had some bursitis. But at 6 months, I can sleep comfortably on either hip for several hours before needing to turn over, and I've even been able to stop using my "prop pillow" for the most part. I do go to the gym 2x/wk, but only do 1/2 hr plus about 10 mins on stationary bike - but it makes a big difference. Started out at the gym just doing my PT exercises, and gradually (VERY gradually) increased a little at a time. Consistency (more than length of session) is so important to keep things from stiffening up too much, and regaining your lost strength. If you have trouble dedicating a block of time for gym or exercise, just do a few minor leg movements while you're brushing your teeth, on the phone, or waiting for the microwave to beep. So hopefully with maybe a little more movement and a little more time, you'll pass this phase. Good luck!
 
Hi all,

I had my LTHR 7 months ago. I'm in my early 20s and was told that I should recover quickly.

Here's some history...
I started feeling pain in my hip 8 years ago and began limping...
(Year 1) - I went to visit a doctor who told me I needed a THR and I refused to do it so I endure increasing pain for years.

(Year 7) - I went for do X-rays on both hips. They said I had severe AVN in my left hip and needed a THR (but they wanted me to wait as long as possible before doing it since I'm so young and these replacements are not lifelong) plus there's also a possibility that I might have slight arthritis in my right hip (but I could do a day surgery which is a graph over the hip bone to preserve it from further damage).
So the reason why I was so upset was because i was never told about this graph alternative before...I could've done it 7 years ago on my left hip. But they told me this procedure did not exist then. So I said once you discovered this new alternative why wasn't I notified, I could've avoided a complete hip replacement.
Since I was so mad I waited another year before getting my THR

(Year 8) - the pain got so bad and I waited until I would wake up out of my sleep due to pain and couldn't even walk to the end of the block without wanting to sit. I stopped working and was only going to school part-time, by choice.

(7 months ago) - I finally did my LTHR, after the surgery my surgeon told me it was worse than he thought and how surprised he was that I was even able to walk. He did a posterior approach with a ceramic hip replacement.

(Recovery) - I was told that since I'm young that I should recover quickly which I did. However it's now 7 months later and I still can't reach down and put on socks or shoes without struggling. I can't lay on my
operated hip very long, I recently had slight pain/discomfort in my groin, my right knee (non-operated leg) has been hurting me on and off from not being able to put all my weight on my left leg and I have lower back pain every now and then I also feel as though ever since I stopped Physio 3 months ago that my recovery had been stagnant.

So HELP, is this normal?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] 1 year post-op
@Keecamp, so pleased that you have joined us here on the forum. In spite of what many surgeons tell their patients, complete recovery from such major surgery can take a year or more. Your surgeon knows how to fix your hip, but he himself has never experienced the surgery or the recovery and is clueless. It took me 3 1/2 years before I could sleep on my operated side; and if I press on the surgical site, it is still a bit tender to the touch. Being young does not necessarily mean a faster recovery. Often older patients have better recoveries because they take thing slower and easier and allow the body time to heal properly.

Some of your problems may arise from the realignment that's going on in your body. Your body spent a lot of years compensating for a bad hip; and it's going to take TIME for your body to readjust. It may be that additional physical therapy centered on helping you with this is needed. It is also possible that some of your aches and pains are the result of over activity as far as your hip is concerned.

I want to give you links to our reading list for hip replacement folks. You may get some further insight into why you are having these problems:

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?


The articles are not lengthy, and will answer a lot of your questions. Also, don't hesitate to check the library for many other excellent informative articles.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
@Keecamp , so sorry you are still dealing with post op issues. But I think the clue is in your history. From my experience, the longer you wait for THR the longer the recovery. I waited over 3 years for my LTHR and by the time I had the surgery my hip had collapsed. That recovery was over 12 months.

For my recent RTHR I waited only months. I was determined to get it done quickly to avoid the limping around that impacts recovery. By week 4 I was nearly back to normal.

I found extra physio helped me after my LTHR. If you limped around for years you have many issues that need to be addressed. Lower back pain is very common after THR. A good physio might be able to help and give you advice on moving forward with your recovery.
 
@Jaycey thanks for the reply.
So if it took you 1+ to recover from waiting 3 years to get surgery....it may take me about 3 years since I waited 8-9 years to do mine? Omg.

I knew that recovery would be a long road but I guess I was expecting to me right back to normal in 6 months.
How long did you do additional physiotherapy for? ... I'm just curious since I'm considering doing the same now.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@bottomshollow thank you for replying.

Since you said it took you 3/12 years to fully recover, do you mind me asking how long you waited before doing your surgery?

And does the sensitivity at the operated site ever go away or will that numbness/sensitive sensation disappear with time?

I read a few of these links when I first joined BS but I think I'll revisit them, thank you so much


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Keecamp, I waited for about 10 years because I had no idea the problem was my hip. The pain I suffered was mostly from my sciatic nerve; I would have to sit 30 minutes for every 15 minutes I was up on my feet. During all those years, I never allowed myself to limp, but it seriously interfered with my life. The moment I found out it was my hip, I scheduled surgery. I rarely ever think about my hip and would probably pretty well forget it if it were not for the forum.

Actually I was fully recovered in terms of most activities within the first year, but still could not sleep comfortably on my operated side for a long, long time. As for how long the sensitively lasts, I think it may be different for each of us. Both my appendix and hysterectomy scars were sensitive for several years, but now I am totally unaware of them.

Recovery is a very individual thing. Your journey is yours and will be unlike anyone else's. THE SECRET OF SUCCESS with joint replacements is TIME & PATIENCE. We have to have (or find) the PATIENCE to give our hips TIME to heal at their own pace. Nothing else works like these two things and nothing can take their place. But it is a very hard truth to absorb in the beginning of our recoveries.

Recovery is what it is, and it's going to take as long as it's going to take. So be PATIENT and let TIME take care of things with some assistance from you. You WILL get to the end of recovery road!


Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
So if it took you 1+ to recover from waiting 3 years to get surgery....it may take me about 3 years since I waited 8-9 years to do mine? Omg.
No you can not make that assumption. But in general, it takes longer to recovery if you limp around before surgery.
I knew that recovery would be a long road but I guess I was expecting to me right back to normal in 6 months.
Based on what? As other have said, every recovery is different. There are no set timelines.
How long did you do additional physiotherapy for?
I had 6 additional sessions of physio including deep muscle massage post LTHR. If you feel like you need help progressing, a good physio may indeed help. Please keep us updated!
 
Hi @Keecamp I found your message comforting because I am in a similar situation. I was considered quite young for THR and the sentiment from the many surgeons I saw was the same- you'll bounce back quickly because you are so young. I almost feel like something is wrong and feel like there is some pressure for me to be totally recovered because I am younger. BUT, I waited for 5 years for my THR and was in really bad shape by the time I did it. I had not walked up stairs normally for 4 1/2 years before my THR (one foot at a time, not putting weight on bad side.) I am now 8 months out from THR and still can't walk up stairs properly! I am so frustrated. I return to my surgeon in a few weeks about this. I am not looking forward to the appointment because I feel like the reaction may be... it takes a year to recover, it's only been 8 months... But, I am having knee pain and can't walk up stairs properly. To me, this is concerning and I don't want to wait until the one year mark to explore any possible knee problems, only to have lost more valuable time I could have been getting on with my life. So, anyway, I feel your pain. I feel like everyone expected me to recover quickly. In some ways I did, but I still struggle with some things and definitely feel like it was a bigger deal than some people may have led me to believe. I know there was no other option and people were trying to be positive... but, it's a hard place to be. When should we be concerned? Should we work harder at PT? I understand how you feel. Hoping you feel better soon and continue to recover. I will say that I am stronger and can certainly walk and stand longer than I could a year ago. I also sit without pain and do a lot of other things without pain. But, I feel like I have a bit of recovering to do still or else something is wrong with my knee. I am seeing my Dr. soon and will see what he thinks. Thanks for your post!
BTW- are you doing stairs normally? I forgot to say... I still can't put socks on either. I use a sock aid. BUT... I can shave my legs totally normally now, which is so cool. I can also touch my toes or pick something up off the floor. Very nice! But... not quite there with the socks yet or clipping my toenails. My ROM was SOOOOO bad before surgery. I am actually pleased with my ROM now, even if I can't do socks.
 
You are on the right road! You are gathering information, keep doing it, become an expert on hips, motor-development, and anatomy. What ever it takes to understand your condition. Do not settle, your good health is worth every bit of energy you can apply.
I can appreciate your frustration, it must be difficult. I wish you well in finding what you need to know.
 
@bottomshollow

You said that you didn't allow yourself to limp? Wow I applaud you because that was impossible for me to do no matter how hard I tried. My basically collapsed hip affected my gait and it just went downhill from there. But I can see how that affected you in other ways.

As for sensitivity... My boyfriend had to get just a few stitches above his eyebrow 3 years ago and he says that the numbness is only NOW starting to go away. So I can't even imagine how long it'll take until the sensitivity to go away for such a big incision (mines is about 6-8").

And I know I must be patient and allow recovery to run its course on it's own. I'm just curious to know if I'm on track and if I'm experiencing any abnormal symptoms.

Thanks so much for giving me some insight



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Jaycey

I just assumed that it would take that long to recover. Also based on what @bottomshollow said about it taking 3+ years to recover gives me an idea of how long it might take me to be fully recovered.

I was under the impression of "bouncing back" quickly based on all the medical professionals I encountered (the surgeon, nurses, physiotherapist) who kept telling me this before my surgery and during the first few months. But I can tell based on everyone's experiences on BS that it takes time to fully heal.

Do you think if I go see my surgeon and get him to write me a letter for extra Physio sessions...would I have to pay out of pocket or will it be covered like my previous sessions? I don't know how this works so I'm just curious on how you got extra sessions.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @younghippie, thanks for replying!

I have complete empathy, because I understand where you're coming from. Though our experiences might slightly vary, they are also pretty similar.

I felt pressure to recover quickly also due to every medical professional telling me how fast I'd "bounce back" so I pushed myself as soon as I was able to get up and walk for the first time.

I think my climbing up steps for 4 1/2 years is impacting your recovery now. Although my hip was is bad shape and basically collapsed I tried my best to appear as "normal" as possible so I forced myself to go up steps normally. So maybe that helped me during my recovery. While I was in Physio, we really stressed exercises on the stairs, I absolutely hated it, it was exhausting and brutal BUT it was worth it cause I'm happy to say that I can go up and down steps without a problem.

My right knee on the other hand took a beating because it bared most of my weight, not to mention that I've put on a few pounds over the past year. It still is uncomfortable sometimes but that's usually when I've been on my feet for a while. I still can't sleep on my operated leg for long which is annoying since I use to sleep on it all the time before surgery. I also find that when I try to do stretched that my groin slightly hurts now and it didn't before so that's concerning.

I am not looking forward on my follow up appointment either, hahaha. Cause we might have the same reaction if they tell me what I DON'T want to hear.

Even though I cannot put on shoes or socks or paint and cut my toes normally I can do things like lift up boxes from the floor and shave my legs so I guess that's still progress right?

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@kfenn

Thank you so much for the motivational words. I appreciate it. I also want to do a profession in the future that will benefit from my experiences that I'm going through today. So I'll do my best at gathering as much information as possible like you said.
Thank you


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Were any of you recommended to get a bone graph for your other hip? If so how did it go? Or have you heard of anyone who has 1 THR and another bone graph?

I'm just concerned because I was told that there's a 20%-30% chance of developing AVN in my right hip resulting in needed surgery. But if I catch it in time I can get a graph instead of a complete THR.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom