Bilateral THR Zumbamama is getting ready to shake it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gummy Bears Thank you! Things are looking very much up. I accomplished so much yesterday. My sense of taste is coming back, cantelope never tasted SO GOOD! I couldn't eat anything for so long, it all tasted so bad for a while there. I did all my PT exercises yesterday, walked to the mailbox twice, sat at the table for meals. This morning I took a shower ALL BY MYSELF!! Walking with the walker is getting better and better although one leg is definitely stronger than the other. @rob3dr @catdemar @bsilvers did one leg feel shorter than the other? I'm 10 days out and I'm sure that feeling is probably uneven swelling and stiffness, but I am a worry wort!
 
@Zumbamama that is wonderful news! I can still feel swelling in my hip area. It's annoying, I wish it would go away. It's almost like a tightness in the area. I elevated my leg and iced more today while I worked at home and it made a huge difference in how I felt afterward!
 
@Gummy Bears sometimes the swelling feels like I'm sitting on tennis balls! I need to ice more today.... I've been using gel packs and for some reason yesterday I couldn't stand the smell of the plastic.... I think I need to get off these pain meds! They mess with my sense of smell! Lol! How is it working from home? And how is it going with the little ones?
 
@Zumbamama My Right one has never had an issue and it was the most painful. My left one lets me know it's there but that was the real tight one. Can't really tell you why? I don't have any length difference! I'm glad to see you're getting better.
 
@Zumbamama I am having the anterior approach. Can't wait! Been taking tramadol (only about 1 per day) the last couple weeks to help. Have to eat with it or I throw up. About 25 + of my spin student/friends are taking me out tonight. I have wonderful support! So many offers to help! Yes! Will teach 2 spin classes Monday; surgery Tuesday!
 
@Lauren Spin Trainer i love spinning and can't wait to get back to it! Doc says 6 weeks but we shall see. Has your doctor said you can return to teaching? Mine says spinning is fine. I remember feeling emotional during my last spin class (2 days bf surgery). Have fun tonight!

@Zumbamama working at home this week was a must do! Next week will be the real test! Mike took the kids to see family for overnight, it was nice to have the peace and quiet. I'm 3 weeks post op tomorrow. I kind of feel like I've hit a plateau so looking forward to moving forward, again!
 
@Zumbamama ,

I never felt one leg was shorter then the other. The chances of having leg length issues on a bilateral should be slim to none. I did however experience strength issues with my left leg in the flexors as my left side would lag behind but that eventually worked itself out, just have to be patient. You are only 9 days out from your procedure so stop worrying and just rest, do your PT, and stop worrying! Glad to read that there were no complications other than your meds. Good days to come for you!
 
So good to hear you had a better day yesterday @Zumbamama . Like you, I took my first shower by myself yesterday. It took a long time but felt so glorious to have the bathroom to myself. Also, our neighborhood pool opened for the summer and I went for one hour and visited with friends. What a treat to get back amongst the living.

Right now my upper body and the palms of my hands are what hurt the worst from all the pressure I am putting on them when using the walker. Much worse pain than my hips are giving me. I hope to incorporate the cane soon.

Been reducing the amount of pain meds also as I am super sensitive to what they do to me. Really mess with my emotional state!

I truly can't imagine having both my hips done at the same time. My hat is off to you! Enjoy your day.
 
@Molly12 My wrists were extremely sore from using the crutches (even worst than the hip as you describe), hope it gets better soon. Mine subsided after a few days. I thought about buying wrist brace (what would it be called?) for support. Not sure if that would help.
 
did one leg feel shorter than the other?
This is a very common feeling post THR. In most cases it just disappears. As bsilvers says you probably have one stronger leg. In addition your pelvis may have been tilted a bit if you tried to favour one side pre-op. Things will balance back very soon. Please don't worry!
 
@Zumbamama Didn't talk to the surgeon about when I can return to spinning. I imagine they will have me on a bike fairly quickly. 6 weeks seems like forever to me but is probably about right. This will certainly be the longest I have ever gone without working out. I guess I should consider my PT sessions as my workouts. Physical activity is as much about my mental state as my physical one. I am looking forward to swimming as well. I would think I could do that as soon as my incision heals.
 
@Lauren Spin Trainer How was your party last night? My classes also had parties for me.... I feel like my students are one of the biggest blessings of my life. They have been so supportive and encouraging through all this! I teach at 5 different gyms and that last week, every time it was my last class with a group, I would start to get emotional and teary at the end of class. I guess there was this nagging fear that something would go wrong and I would never dance again. And then that first week after surgery, when I literally could not move at all I was totally freaking out and panicking for about 2 and a half days. Part of it was the meds I'm sure, but I was totally irrational. I was petrified and convinced I had made the worst mistake of my life for doing this to myself. What had possessed me to do this?!?! I think it is hard for anyone to accept that something has gone wrong with their body and that they need surgery to fix it. But it is particularly hard for people whose whole identity and career is tied up in having a body that is strong and healthy. For me, dance is how I express myself and communicate and connect with people. I had always felt so fortunate and proud that I had this body that had never had any significant injury and that could just go and go and go. This whole experience has been very humbling for me.
@Molly12 I think you may be feeling the same way. I know you said you have never had surgeries or anything either and thought this might be easier because we are coming into it so strong. But it's been difficult to say the least! I think when we look back on this in 6 months we will have a better perspective.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jaycey @bsilvers I will wait till I start worrying about my leg. But when I sit with my feet on the ground and square off my hips, my right knee is out further than my left. But I'm NOT going to focus on that for now. I'm going to only focus on all the little improvements I'm making every day. And I do feel good about those!

On a funny note, for three days, I thought my incisions were oozing a clear liquid. I kept putting a loose gauze over it and waiting for it to stop. Finally, I touched this clear ooze to wipe it with my finger... It was dry! It was just the dried super glue
They used to close the incisions. There had never been any oozing!
 
The party was FABULOUS! Had about 30 people! Like you, I am so blessed with true friendships with the folks there. We have been through much together. It makes it so much easier when you have overwhelming love and support!

You will back to it, and pain free, soon enough @Zumbamama! I keep thinking that I will tell myself that any pain post surgery is RESTORATIVE pain, not destructive pain. You have the worst behind you..and not just because you had the posterior approach Miss former Kardashian. :rotfl:
 
I actually had the anterior approach but my tush and legs swelled up anyways. I kinda wish I could just keep just a tiny little bit of the swelling so my butt would stay a little more lifted! Haha!
I really like the attitude of "restorative pain".... I'm going to keep reminding my self of that thought.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom