Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Zumbamama is getting ready to shake it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Zumbamama Thank you for asking. I'm getting there slowly but surely. I was discouraged that it was taking so long but Josephine assured me it was normal for some people. Even up to a year. It sounds like you are doing better! Remember you had a double whammy! Take care and enjoy those new hips!
 
@catdemar @Michegon @drgnfly
Do any of you have any sleeping advice? I had anterior bilateral 2 weeks ago and I have been sleeping in the recliner but this is just tightening my hip flexors like crazy! Sleeping on my back in bed kills my back, and I just can't roll myself onto my side! Any suggestions? I'm SO Tired!
 
@Zumbamama Well, i could not sleep in recliner, so the bed was it. I watched a lot of tv and used a lot of pillows in a variety of positions. I was always testing the side to side to see which one was tender.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Michegon ! For me the incisions don't hurt but lying on my side is practically impossible to get to, then it feels very sore and lumpy and swollen there. I guess I'll get there eventually!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I can't sleep on my incision side, it feels the same way you describe. I have struggled with back sleeping. Hope you find some relief soon!
 
I can only sleep on my non incision side. I was using a pillow to put between my legs but kept getting tangled up in the sheets and hurting my hip. I now use a rolled up towel between my legs and can roll over much better. I hope u find comfort soon as sleep is so important.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Zumbamama
Sorry you are having sleep problems. I had posterior THR 3-1/2 weeks ago so still sleeping on my back.
I have a V-shaped pillow under my head, a soft regular pillow under my knees, and a small travel-sized
pillow on each side under my elbows. So not much room for my hubbie:heehee: But I find I can get comfortable
enough (then its time for a bathroom visit and so the whole nesting routine starts again!!)
Do hope you can find a comfy spot.
Cheers,
Buzzy.
 
Hi @Zumbamama , I read your thread and - like many others - admire you because I can't imagine how it feels to have bilateral surgery. Fortunately, I only needed my left hip operated on - my right one is healthy.

I fully sympathise with you, because like you, I've always been happy to enjoy good health and I'm a sort of hobby athlete: Did 10 marathons, 3 half-marathons, various 5-12 k runs for charity, 3 little triathlons and also attempted the Frankfurt Ironman twice of which, however, I only did half each time. I never missed a day in secondary school and only a few days at work, never had any major accidents or surgery. I have 4 daughters and each time I had a baby, I recovered very rapidly.


So this was my first surgery, and when I learned I needed hip replacement, it was a disaster. I didn't have post-op blues - I had pre-op blues - depressed the whole winter long with severe bone-on-bone pain.

But we fit people heal quickly. I'm sure, you'll be back to normal and will enjoy your teaching again - painlessly - and you'll do it better than preop.

For me, things only got better. I already felt better when I woke up in the operation theatre. Then I had a slow and steady recovery. I'm six weeks post-op and I'm going to work (I only do office work, so no physical strain). I can drive, swim and cycle. I cycled to work today which is 21 Km from home and it feels better than last summer. My left leg which had atrophied severely is stronger already - and for some reason, even my right unoperated leg feels stronger now.

Keep up your good recovery and keep us up to date. I'm very curious to learn when you will return to your teaching again - hugs - Constanze
 
I know it seems like you should be farther along in recovery....we all feel that way and just want to get back to normal. But the reality is that you are just barely two weeks out from this very major surgery. It takes time to be comfortable sleeping again. Why not try using a dose of your pain medication at bedtime? Or, if not that, try 1000mg of Tylenol.
 
Wow, I love this forum... Thank you all for your encouragement! It makes me feel so much better to know others who can really understand what we are going through. 2 weeks feels like such a long time but it really is ONLY 2 weeks and I'm proud and feel good about how I'm progressing. I slept back in the recliner last night and only woke up twice. I took an extra oxy as well and I think that helped too. I'm not going to worry about the tight hip flexor issue too much..... I'm just going to stretch them gently throughout the day.

@buzzybee I like the idea of a v shaped pillow! I hate the feeling of my head dropping off to the side. I'll try that!

@Constanze it is so hard when you live an active and busy life to come to a full stop like this, but there you are at 6 weeks back at work and riding a bike!! It's just plain inspirational! Thank you!

Just one other thing.... My incisions are getting so itchy!!! Is there any special cream people use to help with that?
 
You don't want to put anything on your incision until it is completely healed. Once it is, any lotion or bio oil will work to keep itching minimized. You don't need anything special. That feeling is just part of the healing process and it will go away soon.
 
@Zumbamama hope you are getting more rest at night these days. I felt the same way about being active and then having to come to a halt, very discouraging. I decided to look at it as an excuse to slow down, like a vacation from the crazy days I have. Those active days will be back before we know it!
 
@Gummy Bears Yes, I am enjoying the fact I don't have to rush anywhere and trying to enjoy my "time off!" Right now, I'm sitting on the patio, drinking coffee and enjoying the perfect weather!
Yesterday was a busy day. I stopped by my morning Zumba class to say hi and pay my sub for teaching for me. That was so nice to see everyone! Then, We went to an art festival and I walked around for maybe an hour or do with my cane. Up and down "hills" (I never thought if them as hills before!! Lol!) and over the bumpy grass! Then home for lunch, did my PT exercises, went for a walk to see the horses at the end if the street with my daughter, about a half hour walk, again with the cane. After dinner, I went to the movies with my husband and son. It was a busy day but I felt good!
Today I'm planning on laying low and sitting in the sun. The weather is perfect. I wish we had a hammock!
I tried again to sleep in bed last night... I'm still not comfortable there. Back to the recliner tonight!
 
Glad you are feeling so good and got to get out and have some fun! I'm so happy it's summer, my favorite time of year!
 
Hello @Zumbamama : Great! You'r progressing fast considering the fact that you had bilateral surgery. I was back to normal at 6 weeks post op. Like you and @Gummy Bears, I like the warmest season the best - enjoy your summer. Best wishes from Germany.
 
@Constanze I think one advantage to bilateral is that you have no choice but to use your legs! You can't " baby" the operated side! I'm feeling more normal mentally and now I'm aware of everything I need to catch up on.... My to do list is starting today! I'm excited to get back to living!
 
So glad you are doing better. Kudos to u, especially with the bilateral!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom