THR zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zauberflöte and Kylesh clifford149 No chocolate covered bananas for me, either. I love bananas, love chocolate, but together?? no thanks. I think it's because the banana is frozen, and the texture is too wierd or something. Probably if it was a sliced banana piece, dipped in melted chocolate and not frozen, it would be fine, like anything in chocolate.

But chocolate covered nuts? Delicious - and Brazil nuts are a favorite. They have a really nice texture, I think. I don't seem to identify with the mold taste, but I sort of understand what you mean..a little.

sqwerlie It's hard to get to the cleaning, but once it's done, it looks good and makes me feel good, too. It's one way for me to feel productive when there's not too much else going on. Nice of your girls to give you a hand!

zauberflöte Yay for you, being able to get to the bottom of your cat's troubles. It took some doing, but you did it, and he's better now. Is he tolerating the cat corral? I'm surprised he's taken to his 'restrictions' so well - better than some of us post-op! (who, me? noooo...) :)

And Peaches Talking about pie again makes me crave pie crust. I made a nice peach pie Sunday - so easy, didn't even peel the peaches (didn't have to, the skin sort of disappeared, and I wanted to keep it quick and easy) and it was really delicious. I have to confess, I don't make my own crust, but it was good anyway. Your Mom's crisco crust sounds so good!
 
Butterfly That's a pretty amazing story about the Army mix-up! It's pretty unnerving to say the least - for you especially, but for the rest of us here, too. Gee, mistakes can happen, but not to correct it asap is the worst. Needless to say Butterfly - I'm glad they were wrong. :)
 
ByGosh well, the cat AND his brother use the corral, but it's not his favorite place to be outside in. He's not too bright, and needs further coaching on how the OUT door is also the IN door LOL. (there are three walls of casement windows for him to come in by, and he goes to the one nearest the place his thinks he can jump the fence at, and then realizes that since he's so fat, he has to back up 5 feet rather than turn around on the ledge, to get to the open window. It's hilarious-- I've never seen a cat back up that far. The great thing is that he's stopped crying inside-- now he cries outside LOL. But as to taking to restrictions well, we still expect to find that he has somehow gotten over/under/through the chicken wire... very persistent animals, cats are. :kittykiss:
 
Seven Week Update, in which we discover that some hippies just can't Keep Up!

A few new things at the end of 7 weeks.
Energy and stamina higher, much of the time.
I seem to be doing all the housework (Very Slowly!)with some heavy-lifting exceptions that Mr ZF does.
Trying to walk every day on the treadmill plus drive some every day hurts more.
Uh-oh, which shall I give up? Hmmmm, this is pretty serious.*
I do a little grocery shopping almost every day, so the loads are smaller.
Laundry, vacuuming (that chore gave me a nap attack!!), meals, kitchen cleanup, litter boxes.
*I ought to walk every day, right? So I take my bedtime 0.2mi turn outside every night, and trying every other day on the treadmill, I go almost half a mile. I think I could do twice that but am afraid to overdo it.
One day after a few days of treadmill, walking was all of a sudden more natural without trying. :) Something in the front of the thigh, which I'd been working on walking so as to stretch it out, all of a sudden was stretched!
managed about 2 minutes lying on op side in bed a few nights ago. Will wait a while to try again-- there was no way I was going to fall asleep that way!
Need to be more consistent with abs/core workout.
Left shoulder has some kind of sudden injury and I have to accommodate that when lifting, and playing my flute. Not good.
Op side knee is sometimes or maybe lots of times not painful any more-- but when the other side hurts, it's hard not to perceive it in BOTH sides, wonder why that is?
Visited and ruled out the PT place close to me. It smelled of dirty laundry, and, nobody in the room was laughing, bad sign in my experience. I will call the fun place I went before Christmas.
There is a suture sticking out of the top of my incision, and we don't have anything sharp enough that I dare let hubby snip it as suggested by OS nurse. So, also as suggested, I'll leave it till my OS/PA visit next week. It's all irritated at me for not fixing it LOL.
Trying a few stairs the grownup way, and if they are shallow I can go down 2 in a row, or up one, with some hanging on the railing.
Since I am doing so much more "stuff", and am doing it so slowly, I don't have the time to play here that I did even a week and a half ago.:boohoo: I don't see how I can hope to keep up, but will do my bestest!! :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] zauberflöte's Magic New Hip!
zauberflöte, what more could we ask?
 
zauberflöte Great, wonderful and healthy, moving along very well, recovery report!
You're doing so much - you can walk more, clean everything, you even go shopping! And you have less knee pain, you do the stairs bravely, you've figured out where to take PT, you've also gotten the cats corralled correctly, and you have more energy/stamina. :) Wow all at 7 weeks! Congratulations, it sounds really good. You've made a lot of progress. Except for the shoulder - we have twin shoulder tendonitis, I think.:sorry:


It hurts like the dickens, doesn't it? Especially when I raise my arm over my head - ow - or rub my sore whatever - ow- or try to lay on it in bed - ow again- I want treatment for it. Both of mine hurt, but the right is worse. I'm icing it alot, using Elmore more ;) and the TENS at bedtime. I've upped my Tylenol to max dose, too. And I'm trying to baby it, but it's hard not to use your arm, especially at the pool, when I baby both of my legs. I'll have to wiggle through the pool like a worm! (eww)

Keep up the good work with your recovery zauberflöte You're really coming along nicely. I hope your shoulder gets better. Ice and rest it as much as you can, and try not to reach for things up high.
 
zauberflöte other than the shoulder problem you sound as if you are doing really well! Perhaps lifting porky kitty caused the shoulder to give out under the strain..tee hee. Glad that the pudger is adapting to his confinement. My Tigger is very much the MASTER OF ALL HE SURVEYS right now. The other night it was time to get him in, I tried to lure him into our bedroom off the deck...I am sure you know the drill...wiggle finger on side of building. He stalked by with great disdain. I went back to reading a book in bed and a few minutes later he came tearing through the room, jumped on the bed and charged out the door. He had come in the living room deck entrance and done a kitty thumb his nose at me. We decided he is a teenager now. It was too funny and he was really pleased with himself.
 
nmscienceteacher, I am in Albuquerque, too. Where did you have your surgery? I still haven't had mine, but need hips replaced.
 
Well, Chris, you are coming along splendidly!! Have you gotten your new shoes yet? That may also enable you to go a little further in your walks -- and maybe you could go and walk in an indoor mall since it's beastly hot out.

On the stray stitch -- I think you are right about waiting until you see the PA. You don't want to cut it and leave another portion in your leg to get irritated, you want the PA to pull that thing out completely. Is this where you have your goose egg??

Take care and good luck with the shoulder! Have you had frozen shoulder before?
Cardie
 
zauberflöte, WOW! What an amazing journey. Great progress in a mere 7 weeks. I'm inspired to make my progress as well. Somehow to me, seven weeks doesn't seem so far away anymore. I have almost two weeks under my belt. If all goes well, these are the most restrictive two weeks. Thanks for the inspiration, and keep up the great progress!!!:yay:

Nancy
 
way to go!!! put another star on that girls walker/can/crutches!!!! I actually considered decorating my walker, I am a craft fanatic and all sorts of things went thru my head for decorations.
 
Butterfly I don't want to hijack Chris' thread. Had my surgery at Presbyterian. Was very pleased with my hospital stay...the nursing staff was good and the food service doesn't feel institutional. When are you scheduled? Who is your surgeon? You should reply on my thread...Rockin again
 
Excellent report, zauberflöte. You are doing very well. I agree about waiting for the OS visit to snip the thread. I did that, too.
Sorry to hear you are also a member of the sore shoulder club. Am icing mine as I type. I was going to ask the same question as Butterfly-do you think the cane is causing it? My whole right side was irritated by the cane, and now that you are doing more it could be too much pressure. It's funny that once your hip stops hurting everything else gets sore. Sorry your shoulder is messing about with your making music. Must be frustrating.
But really glad to read of all your progress.
 
bottomshollow ByGosh nmscienceteacher Butterfly TeeEm Poppet C Mac flowergirl nmay51 LeeApril26 Thanks for stopping by! Nobody is going to be accused of hijacking or derailing, I can assure you :) After that one party where the little people had to clean up, everyone seems to tidy up after themselves nicely:heehee:

ByGosh my shoulder is not so bad as yours, I don't think. It really only hurts when I play. It's the left, which is the arm that is in the strange position across the body when you play. I think it's a combination of a lifetime of overuse, perhaps aggravated by a spectacular fall down the deck steps six years go, where I caught myself on my arms. Flute player instinct is, protect the face, protect the face!!! Which I did :) Butterfly LeeApril26 I don't use the cane enough to make me think it has anything to do with it. And I didn't need one pre-op. Chronic cane use would spell the death of my playing altogether-- the hands are already wrecked from my 45-yr career LOL.

nmscienceteacher cute little Tigger, I can see him now! We have trained all cats since 1977 to come to a whistle, with a kibble as a reward. The only ones who were/are obstinate have been the "single color" cats, a white male 25 yrs ago and The Queen Of The Night, our current black female. Fatso is still doing ok in the corral, but his brother the escape artist is too funny. He's been getting out regularly, and we beefed up the security at the bottom of the chicken wire b/c all we could guess was that he was worming his way under the fencing. Well, today I saw how he does it-- he climbs (!!!) a five-foot chicken wire fence!!!!!!! Loosely hung so as to discourage climbing. SIGH. When Fatso loses some weight it's going to be all over. I guess we want to be thinking about invisible fencing, although we haven't had luck with cats and collars in 25 years.

C Mac No new shoes yet, but I'm hoping they will help :). I just this minute located a Rack Room Shoes near enough to make the trip doable. My car seat is a holy terror on my lower body and that's a big problem for going places. As for walking, I bought a treadmill when we moved here, to beat the early morning heat, and even have a window a/c blasting right on it-- I'm set for that. :dancy:
This car seat thing is something I've been trying to resolve since I bought the car in 2010. I had hoped that my favorite driver's seat from "old car" could be transplanted, but they are not interchangeable. "Old car" seat is from 1986, and they just don't make them that wide, long front to back, and flat, these days, or even in 1994, which is what "new car" is.
Here is my attempt to draw a picture of the goose egg, with the straight line in the middle being the anterior incision: (l) It's not there any more, the tissue is just a little "pooched out" at the outside. Probably fat.
No, I've never had frozen shoulder! My sister did once, though, during her potting career. Not nice.
Cardie and LeeApril26 Re that stray stitch-- well, whatever it was, isn't there any more!! The OS nurse had said to cut it, but I didn't have the nerve LOL. Yesterday afternoon there was nothing irritable sticking up there, so, I guess it took care of itself!

nmay51 Nancy, I noticed your new avatar the other day-- love it! You will be amazed at yourself in another 5 weeks, really! Even in another 5 days you will be amazed. Haha I had NO restrictions when I left the hospital, and GOT some when I went in for my 2 week visit. But it's all good, and it is expected that I will lose them when I go in next week for the 8 week visit.

LeeApril26 I have started to think that my O's PA is kinda like your surgeon-- we both waved a red flag in front of the bull! You with your sandals, and me with my gentle little show-off-y sashay down the hall at my 2-week visit, and the nurse told on me. I'll never know, I guess:umm:
 
Sorry to hear you are also a member of the sore shoulder club. Am icing mine as I type. I was going to ask the same question as Butterfly-do you think the cane is causing it?​
This is also what I thought around the 7-8 week mark. I didn't really use the walker or cane much but then one day it dawned on me it was the using of the toilet raiser. I had handles on mine to where I had sore muscles in the shoulders and under the arm. I went to the chiropractor a couple of times and that cured that.

Chris, it is great to read your 7 week progress report, you are doing so great. Keep it up!
 
Liveringer I never would have thought of that. Not applicable in my case cause I ditched the riser when precautions were lifted at 5 1/2 weeks. But now I am trying to figure out what other repetitive movements I am doing that involve my arm. I have been in the country for a week and working hard not to use the cane. The pain has lessened but still some discomfort. May try a chiropractor as well as analyze what I'm doing. Thanks for the advice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom