Guest viewing is limited

TKR Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread

Spoke with physio about the buckling yesterday and she said as sistersinhim said once our quads/knee is tighter/stronger it will stop.
She did say I have to be careful when turning as I have tiles and floorboards I'm spinning in a circle with my socks when turning, which is twisting the knee (didn't even realise I was doing it) and contributing to the buckling. I have to turn by picking up my foot and not be lazy.
Also when I'm tired I'm kicking my leg out slightly when walking, which is not allowing the knee cap to move properly, another reason she said the buckling could be happening. So I need to shorten my steps when sore and tired and really concentrate on my gait.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It makes sense that turning like that would be twisting your knee. Good find and easily corrected!
 
@flyaway79 I'll try that too!! Do you kick your leg out too when tired?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@zakmick Yes, I get lazy when I'm up and about too much and find myself doing that. Also when I walk around too much without my cane I find myself limping and I know that's not good. I still need to use it most of the time.
 
I'm not without the crutch much ATM as the buckling has me nervous, and I limp too... which then makes other parts of my body sore...There will be a time when all of this is a memory!! [emoji3]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Keep using the crutch while there's any danger of falling. Better to use it than to risk a fall.
 
I'll hobble to the bathroom without my Walker or cane when I'm upstairs bc I can lean on the counter for support. And I can work my way around my kitchen and hang on the counters. But I don't go too far across open terrain without an aid.
 
That's what I do too Jenn, open terrain always crutch with me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can relate to the spinning when turning, I have to be really careful to step instead. I wonder how long it is before we can stop thinking about walking and just do it. I was so careful with walking before the surgery because I didn't trust my knee for so many years, I am trying hard to stop looking at the ground constantly and trust my knees. :)
 
Hello Zacmick, I live in Queensland, just north of Brisbane. Well I decided to go for the bilateral and get the surgery and recovery over and done with all in one go. Otherwise, I thought I'd just get better from one then have to go back and do it all over again with the other! The right knee is worse, but leftie is catching up quickly. I can't wait to be able to walk without limping again, and hopefully to end up with my now bandy legs straight. I like that cartoon that Arttie sent you!
 
@sandi4213 I am still having the same problem as you, looking at the ground while walking instead of straight ahead! I wondered why my neck and back were sore, then realised that between my crook knees and my cataracts, I was constantly watching the ground in front of me, especially on rough or uneven ground. My knees don't like humps and hollows, cracks in footpaths etc. etc.!
 
@Faele I love Queensland, would move there in a heartbeat.

Confidence, swelling and lower back pain have made me go back to two crutches these last few days.

Went out for my nephews birthday Saturday lunch, then impromptu dinner and back to a friends house, didn't get home till midnight so all up was out for 12hrs. I was getting slower and slower on my one crutch, plus swinging the tired leg around.

I was sitting down mostly but with leg down not up, i did ice it a few times though .
Hubby said I looked so awkward.

And then out for mothers day lunch on Sunday, busy weekend for my baby knee.

And the buckling has just been happening too often, it's making me quite nervous.

So back to two for a few days around house till the swelling goes down again and then I'll start again with one (only if I'm ready), but going out, I'm going to use two for awhile, think I was rushing my walking and it's so cold (feeling cold more) that I'm trying to go quicker than I'm able to when outdoors, hence gait wrong and hurting other body parts.

8 weeks today and before I had the operation I definitely had Rose coloured glasses on, thought I would be further along.

A month from today we're suppose to be flying to another state (1.5hr) for 3 days as a little get away. Hoping I am okay, fingers crossed as it was a cheap flight and bargain accommodation, thus no refunds. I know silly, but 3mths after op I thought I would be good. Still have 4weeks, so hopefully all will be ok.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Recovery is so non-linear. You can feel like you're going nowhere even when making great strides. for what it's worth, I think you're doing very and totally see you enjoying your trip.
 
I think you'll enjoy your trip. I'm flying out for a short excursion next month and I'm hoping for the best myself.
 
After such a busy weekend I hope you're able to stay close to home to rest and elevate your knee. Twelve hours is a long day at 8 weeks.
 
Oh my goodness, no wonder your knee hurts. Your activities have been out of this world for a new knee. Rest and follow the BS guidelines as much as you can this week and let that knee calm down and heal.
 
Hi Zakie, I think you will enjoy your trip. Just pace yourself and of course ice and elevate.
Have fun!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] Zakie's TKR Recovery Thread
8 weeks today for me too! Mine is still sore, achy and buckling when I walk at times and I haven't done nearly the activities you have. You make me tired just reading them. I do have a lot more energy now, but I use it conservatively. More walking around the house without my cane and going to try a little walk outside later today. Just talked to my PA and she said to start slowly with the walking and build it up. Don't go hog wild! Slow and steady wins the game!

And remember this for your recovery. I believe it wholeheartedly :-)
 
Look how smart you have gotten - you know you need to go to two crutches and rest and ice your knee. :idea: It's good to get out, but we all need to remember balance. My knee has been achy all day, so I am taking it easy. I really hope you will be ready to enjoy your trip, I keep thinking of 12 weeks as a turning point (I know every one is different, but I need a goal). So...I hope it is one for you. :flwrysmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom