TKR Yorkimom is ready to go...LTKR

A little better. Trouble was I hurt my knees tonight trying to get upstairs to the bathroom quick. My husband had bought some Chinese food. I warned him that since this op it upsets me. Lo and behold half hour later I'm trying to run up the stairs to get to the bathroom. What a nightmare xx

Chest is a lot easier now thank you xx

Gotta go. It's 2.41 am here. Screen isblurring more likely morphine xx
 
@Josephine, @PuppyLove, @gr82cu2, @tiredwife, @madinana, @marmora, @Minnie's knees, @new knee in June, @Nana moon 27, @Celle and anyone else I might have forgotten. Tuesday I went for my six week check up with my OS. Everything looked good and he was very happy until I told him how I have been feeling other than the knee. Naturally after a major surgery like this you are weak, tired and low stamina. I remember it was like this last time but gradually kept getting better. They is not the case this time. If I am sitting in the recliner or at the kitchen table, etc. I feel pretty good. But as soon as I get up and stand for any length of time, do a load of laundry, wash dishes or just walk from the car to inside, I get tired, weak, sweaty and my breathing is labored. It was so bad last week when I went to the funeral, I had to keep stopping, sit down, catch my breath and do it all over again. The OSA was concerned and said he wanted me to see my primary doctor.
I went yesterday morning to see my doctor and explained how I was feeling. First off my blood pressure was lower than usual and he said that could contribute to it. He did an EKG which was normal and tested my oxygen levels. They were 97 so that was all good. He then sent me for a whole bunch of blood work. He called while I was in therapy and left me a message. He said my potassium levels were a little low which could make me tired so he is having me take potassium for 10 days. Then he said "there is soft evidence of a blood clot in your blood work" and wants me to have a lung scan. He said most likely I won't be able to have it until Monday because the lab probably wouldn't have at they need today. So in the meantime if I get out of breath and not feel well to go to the ER and they can do the test right away. I know this doesn't mean I definitely have a blood clot, but there is a chance and now I am a nervous wreck! The OS had said that if there was any problem he felt good that I was still on blood thinners. But he said I could stop taking them this past Tuesday. Has anyone had any ever dealt with anything like this before. I did tag Josephine so I can also get her opinion. Thanks, Anne
 
@Yorkimom Anne you would think if they thought blood clot they would be in more of a hurry to get it checked!
It does explain your shortness of breath though! I would advise that if you have good insurance go ahead and go to the ER and complain of shortness of breath and tell them what your doc suspects. Better tested now than wait.
 
@Yorkimom Hopefully it is not a blood clot. I agree that I would want to know sooner rather than later. Please don't hesitate to go to ER if your insurance will cover it. Once a blood clot is ruled out be sure to follow up to identify any other issues that could be causing your symptoms. Please keep us posted. (((Hugs)))
 
@Yorkimom Oh dear I hope you do not have a blood clot if your insurance covers it and you get the symptoms again I would go to the er heck I would go er anyway and deal with the bill later. I will keep you in my prayers along with Janet
 
Then he said "there is soft evidence of a blood clot in your blood work" and wants me to have a lung scan.
That means if you do have a pulmonary thrombosis (clot in the lung) it's likely to be quite a small one otherwise you'd be flat on your back! To the best of my knowledge, small clots are not at all uncommon and usually don't develop into anything more serious. The body is more than capable of sorting out little ones though you can feel a tad out of sorts in the mean time. Don't fret - loads of people get DVT and it resolves very well. It's much the same thing.
 
@PuppyLove, @gr82cu2, @tiredwife, @madinana, @marmora, @Minnie's knees, @new knee in June,@Nana moon 27, @Celle and anyone else I might have forgotten. I just wanted to give an update on yesterday. The good news is that I don't have a blood clot, thank God. After talking to the doctor's office we decided that even though there was a small chance that I had a blood clot, waiting until Monday was too nerve racking and what if I did have one, God forbid. The doctor's office faxed me a prescription for a VQ scan. It is a test that measures air flow and blood flow in the lungs. He also sent me my blood work results, etc. We immediately left in hopes of beating the Friday night rush at the ER. When I got there they told me that they don't take prescriptions but if I wanted I could wait to see the doctor. I waited for a while and they brought me back and took my vitals and then sent me back out. About an hour later they called me back to have an ultra sound of my legs to check for a blood clot. I only wanted the one test, but my hands were tied. So I got the ultra sound and there was no blood clot, which we didn't think there was in my leg. One thing that showed up was that I have a Baker's Cyst in the back of my knee that I just had surgery on. This explains all the pain that I have had in the back of my knee. I guess I'll ask my OS about when I go back for my next visit in six weeks. They wheeled me back to the ER but instead of making me wait again in the waiting room, they let me just lay on the guerny. I was so thankful for this because my knee was killing me. After sitting with my leg down for long periods of time it still becomes stiff and painful. While sitting in the waiting room I kept trying to sit different ways and even tried to prop my foot up, but the chairs weren't situated right to do this. Plus I have been really reducing my pain meds. I am now taking one pill every 6- 7 hours or so. Well I had taken them right before PT this morning at 9:30. Once I got home, got the phone call from the doctor, etc., I forgot to take my pill. I remembered on the way to the ER. I was finally able to take one at 10:00 which made it 12 and a half hours since the last one. My knee was so painful and on fire! I finally asked the nurse if she thought a I could take the meds as I didn't want to mess up any test. She was so sweet and said that I could take it. I was so happy. Otherwise I would have had to wait a couple more hours before we could leave for home.
Next they wheeled me I to a room (cubicle) and then I called for Joe to come back. He no sooner came back and they came to get me to take me for a chest X-ray. Then I was wheeled back to my room again. The doctor came to see me and said that they were going to do a lung scan.....thank goodness!! This test is not painful but not pleasant either. They put you on a table that is part of an MRI machine . The table was more like a hard sling than a table. They put me into the machine with my head out....as long as my chest was under, it was enough. Then they have you hold this face mask on your face and breath into it. The mask is rubber and very pliable and when you breath in it almost conforms to your face. While you are breathing in, she injects the mask with a radioactive substance. You have to keep breathing into this mask for a full five minutes. At times I felt like I couldn't breath or catch my breath. I had to keep telling myself to breath slowly in and out and finally it was over. Next they inject radionuclide dye into a vein to get into your bloodstream. That was easier than the first part, as you just had to lay there as they scanned different angles. The whole test took about 30 minutes.
I was finally done and was wheeled back to my room. When I got back there, Jodi was there with Joe. Marc was the one who brought me to the ER and stayed with me until Joe got there. He was working, so he went home, got a shower and then came in. Anyway, the nurse then said that she needed to take blood for more testing and put an IV in. I wish they had done that before I went for the lung test. They could have just put the dye into my IV, but since I didn't have one, they had to stick me.
After more waiting they said they wanted an EKG just to make sure. Then the doctor came in and said that all the tests came back normal. He said he still doesn't know why I am short of breath but I have to follow up with my family doctor on Monday.
The original blood work that my primary doctor did also showed that my potassium levels were below normal. He said that could contribute to being tired. Who knows, but luckily I am fine. I told Joe that the one good thing about me having the lung scan is that I know that my lungs are clear and healthy. Now seeing that everything is okay, maybe I could have waited until Monday, but I know I would have been just too darn nervous waiting all weekend not knowing.
Thanks again for all your prayers. Anne
 
Thank you for letting us know, Anne.
It seems that they were very thorough at the ER and that is a good thing. It's reassuring to know that there is nothing seriously wrong.

Now, I hope that your breathlessness improves and you start to feel better.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Yorkimom Glad all the test were good. I wonder if the trouble breathing might be from a bit of panic attack triggered by not feeling good. Our minds can do some strange things to our bodies.
 
@Yorkimom happy to hear everything is okay and that you didn't have to wait until Monday to find out. Sorry you had to be at the ER so long but I would have done the same thing. I get the bakers cysts too even before surgery. My OS doesn't do anything for the bakers cyst. They just dissolve eventually but they can be painful. I have a small one right now. Hope you have rested today and feel better.
 
I'm so glad the ER results were negative. I had a Baker's cyst behind my knee that burst (post THR and pre TKR a). When it burst it was very painful, with shooting pains down my calf, and I couldn't put weight on that leg. I just wanted to let you know that in case it happens. The pain resolved on its own in a few days- PA said it was all quite normal. After my THR I remember being really tired and getting short of breath frequently. I just rested a lot and eventually I improved- I just can't remember when. I wish I had kept better notes about my recoveries! I really do hope you're feeling better soon. :console2:
 
Anne @Yorkimom

So very glad that your tests for DVT and PE were negative.

It can be very scary until you have the tests results and having to wait until Monday would have been so stressful.

I only saw that you had these problems when I saw your post on Nana Moon's thread. Sometimes, I forget to go to the individual threads, as you read & respond to people on very many threads.

Hope that your visit to your family doctor on Monday will get to the reason for your extreme tiredness and what is next is regard to the Baker's Cyst.

Take care and keeping you in my thoughts,
Cathie x
 
@Yorkimom I am glad you got it all check out. Sorry it was not an easy experience but the relief of knowing you did not have a clot and all will help you to rest easier I could not had gone all week end worrying . I am sorry you have a Baker Cyst I am not sure what it is been have read on many of a thread they are painful. Hoping you have a pain free day or at least manageable
 
Hi @PuppyLove

I didn't know those pesky things could burst. I have one behind my left knee and one on top of my left shoulder joint, right where my bra strap goes. It aches like fury x legacy of accident at work x
 
@PuppyLove, @Nana moon 27 Thanks Chris for letting me know about the Baker's cyst. I have heard of them but don't know much about them. It's scary that they can burst. I'm thinking that I have had mine for quite some time. Indefinitely explains the severe pain that a I had in the back of my knee right after surgery. Then it magically went away, until a couple of days ago. Now it is bothering me again, but nothing to the extent after surgery. My question is that does the pain come and go like that?
Wow Ann, having two of them must be the pits. Have they been giving you any pain? Anne
 
@madinana thanks. I felt a little foolish going to the ER since I wasn't in pain or anything like that. But I just don't think my nerves would have lasted through the weekend waiting. If I didn't have a choice, that would have been one thing. But when the doctor said I could go, that was all it took.
 
Anne @Yorkimom

Peace of mind is week worth a visit to the ER.
I know, I would have gone, if it were me.

Take care,
Cathie x
 
Hi @Yorkimom the shoulder one is the uncomfortable one where my bra strap goes. It can really ache xx
It'll be mentioned when everything settles down with my knees xxx

Love Ann xxxx
 
@Nana moon 27, I was thinking that the bra strap would bother it. I hope it gets taken care of soon. Take care. Anne
 
Back
Top Bottom