Guest viewing is limited

TKR Yorkimom is ready to go...LTKR

Hello Anne, @Yorkimom

The dark grey cloud days are the harder part of the TKR journey.
We never know when and for how long they will surround us. And seeing the light at the end of the tunnel seems like another fairy tale.

Our emotions rise to the surface and it's good to let the tears flow and release some of the pain.
Not the physical TKR pain, but the pain we feel in our very being. We should never feel foolish to cry, it is important to let the tears flow and get whatever is underneath out of our system.

The added loss of a friend at this time also brings a new type of sadness. And I understand you wanting to be there to honour that friendship and feel that it is important for you to attend her funeral.

Don't worry how you think it might look to others' sitting there with your pillow, it is what's in your heart that only truly matters.

Thinking of you with warm thoughts,
Cathie
 
@marmora thanks once again Cathie. So far today has been a good day. I had some pain last night right in my knee cap, but luckily it subsided by morning. When I left for PT today I could just feel that I had a little more spring in my step. Christine came out to the waiting room to get me and she commented on how my walking seemed better and done with more ease. I started out with a few of the normal exercises and then she worked on my bending with me sitting on the side of the table with my leg hanging. It seems as though I get more ROM with my leg down. She said she isn't even having me do heel slides anymore while laying on the table because she can see how painful it is for me and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. Anyway, while my leg is hanging, she gets down on the floor and puts her hand on my shin. She has me push lightly and hold for a few seconds. Then she gently pushes my leg back until it's too uncomfortable. After a few times she said she was going to measure. I finally hit 90 degrees. I know I have a long way to go, but we were both very happy with my progress. She showed me several exercises to work on at home to help improve my bending. So it was a good day at PT. Yeahhhhh, finally!!!!!!
Thank you everyone for all your encouragement. I don't know how I would have gotten through these dark days without all of you. It means the world to me. Anne
 
I finally hit 90 degrees. I know I have a long way to go, but we were both very happy with my progress. She showed me several exercises to work on at home to help improve my bending. So it was a good day at PT. Yeahhhhh, finally!!!!!!

Yay!!! :happydance::yay:
90 degrees at 6 weeks is good. You're on course. The rest will come, as you heal.

Don't try to push it and go too fast. Remember that this is a recovery that takes lots of patience. Slow and steady will win this race.
 
That's a great report from your PT session! :loveshwr: I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. Our mental health sure takes a beating with this recovery. Every little bit of progress helps so much with that and our attitudes about it. Keep up the good work! :yes!:
 
@Celle, thanks. I'm so happy to finally hit at least the 90 mark. I'll keep reminding myself not to push too much as I know that can backfire on me.
@gr82cu2 thanks. You are always so supportive and I really appreciate it.
@kneeper, thanks for checking in on me all the time.
 
@Yorkimom I am so happy for you with your ROM. :ok: It is a mental boost to reach a goal we have set for ourselves. Your PT sounds very supportive.
 
@tiredwife, thanks Jackie. That was so sweet of you!!! Today Christine said she thought she felt as though my knee was giving more. She measured and I got to 92...every little bit helps!!
I didn't post yesterday as I had a very busy day and was just too tired later. I went to my friend Carol's sister's funeral.
I took my shower and washed my hair last night as I just don't have enough energy to do that before going out. Well, Jody got here at 9 and I wasn't quite ready. I told her that I needed to make myself eat some cereal. So I had a bowl of shredded wheat and she fixed herself a bowl of oatmeal. Of course I had to force myself to eat, but I did. Lately I really have been having trouble with my energy levels. Since surgery this has been normal, but it has been getting worse instead of better. I'm thinking it's because of me not eating enough. You know how it is when you are rushing around before you leave. I had to keep stopping and sitting down. A few times I felt as though I was going to pass out and my breathing was labored. Jody was very concerned. I told her I was fine and think it's just what you do when you are so tired and breathing hard is a way to get through it. Once I got in the car and we were riding for about 10 minutes she said my color was back and I looked much better.
We got to the church and I wasn't sure if we would just pay our respects or try to stay for the Mass. Carol was so shocked to see us both and it made us both feel so good that we did this. We could tell how much it meant to Carol.
I had brought a little pillow with me to put under my leg while we sat, but left it in the car telling Jody she could go and get it if I needed it. It was bad enough walking down the isle with a cane, let alone a pillow under my arm. I felt as though God was really watching over me and made things easier for me because the pews had cushions on them. Most Catholic Churches don't have cushions. Plus in the back of the pew in front of us is the "pocket" that they keep the books in. I sat on the left end of the pew so I could stretch my leg out on the seat or I could put my leg up on the "pocket" which made it more comfortable. We chose a pew all the way over on the side of the church. Well naturally right before the service they asked those of us all the way on the side to please come over on the other side so just the two middle sections would be full. So we moved and I was lucky to be able to do the same thing in the other pew.
Carol gave a beautiful eulogy of her sister Beth. It was hard for her, but she got through it. All through the service I would stand for a while and then would have to sit. Christine, my therapist, said she didn't know if I would be able to endure an entire Mass because there usually isn't enough room in the pews to stretch your leg. I was very happy that I could stay for the full Mass and I was even okay to go to communion. After the service we went up to Carol again and told her that we were not going to the cemetery. She said she completely understood and was so happy we came.
Jody and I started our drive back to my house and she informed me that we were going to lunch because I was going to eat. I have been thinking of a burger for the past few days and we thought the protein would do me good. So we stopped at Red Robin, and while my favorite is the guacamole burger, I thought that might be too rich for me, so I got a bacon cheeseburger with fries....and of course a fountain coke. I cut my burger in half and ate a little more than half of the half and some fries. Jody kept telling me to try to eat more. I tried, but just couldn't eat another bite.
We left my house at 9:30 and got home at 2:00. It was a long day for me. Jody left to go home, I put on my pj's and immediately took a nap.
This feeling of weakness is taking over and is even putting the knee on the back burner. I called the OS's office today and the nurse called back and said that since I'm past three weeks post op that I should call my regular doctor. I called them but couldn't get through. Since I'm feeling a little better today, I'm going to wait to see how I am over the weekend. If I'm not any better I'll call them first thing Monday morning.
 
@Yorkimom Your blood pressure isn't dropping is it. That can really leave you exhausted! Make sure you have protein every day. Eat more often if you can't eat much at a meal. Protein drinks might be the way to go, and vitamins. TKR really drains the energy. Hubby is just now getting some of his back.
 
@tiredwife,thanks. My friend keeps telling me to eat protein. I haven't been eating much at all and then most of it is carbs. It seems that's the only thing I can stomach. I did force myself to eat Greek yogurt this morning with nuts before therapy and then my friend and I stopped at Bob Evans and I had a cup of potato soup. So I have eaten good so far today.
The only positive thing is now I'm down 12 pounds. Normally I would be ecstatic, but now I'm just getting to the point that I want to feel better.
 
Anne, food is energy. I know you don't have much appetite right now but do try to eat. Like Jackie said, eat smaller more frequent meals if you have to. Protein is very, very important for bone growth and to maintain muscle mass. I find the protein drinks gross tasting myself but if you can stomach them it might not be a bad idea to add one to your diet each day if you can get it down. Carbs aren't really good because they convert to sugar and will make you feel temporarily better but then you crash hard. How about cheese? Do you enjoy cheese? That would be good if you can't stomach meat right now. I wish I had an answer for you. My appetite has been in high gear lately and leaves me wondering why. It's not like I'm expending a lot of calories in this recovery. If you don't rebound over the weekend please call your doctor. Maybe you're anemic or something? Take care and I hope you feel better soon!
 
Anne @Yorkimom

You have had a very emotional few days with being there with Jody for Beth's funeral service.
Your lack of energy and loss of your usual appetitive seem to be effecting your recovery.

Airs good that you're seeing your Family Doctor on Monday, the doctor ay have some answers.
Could be anaemia, low blood pressure or even an urinary tract infection.

As you say this lack of energy is putting your TKR recovery in second place.

Rest over the weekend, maybe very small meals -little and often.
Hopefully, your doctor will be able to help.

Take care and wishing warm thoughts,
Cathie x
 
@gr82cu2, thanks Janet. I know you are right. I remember in the beginning, even though I was having trouble eating, bagels were my go to food. I would have a bagel with loads of cream cheese. So I was getting a little protein. I have protein mix from our gym and normally like it, but just haven't been able to think about drinking it. I plan on trying to have some tomorrow. I guess I just have to take it day by day. I know it will get better. I just wish I wanted to eat.
 
@marmora, thanks for the kind words. Like I told Janet, I will get there, slowly but surely. It is really interesting how different one knee recovery can be from the other. My first one was nothing like this one!! Thanks again, Anne
 
Hi @Yorkimom I guess knees are like snowflakes...no two are alike. I hope you start slowing regaining your appetite and strength. Thanks so much for continuing to post. As a pre-op anxiously awaiting my turn, it is so helpful to hear all facets of recovery! Best wishes.
 
I sometimes eat those Special K meal bars which are fairly low in calories and high in protein. You don't need to worry about the low cal, but you may find them more tasty than protein shakes.
I think when you just eat carbs your blood sugar also goes up and down a lot. Definitely talk to your doctor though. You want to make sure you're not anemic.
 
Thanks @kneeper. Yes I have had them and they are good. I'm really trying to force myself to eat more. I had an egg and half piece of toast and then just had a sandwich for lunch...progress!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom