Guest viewing is limited

THR Yippie Yippie.. Double Hippie!! (CricketHip)

@CricketHip Pre-op testing and joint class yesterday. Good news - only aspirin for blood thinner and no TEDS:happydance:. Bad news - nurse who ran joint class tried to scare me about icing machine, but I came back here to the Forum and got lots of support and info, so plan to ignore her.
 
Hi, @CricketHip I am here exploring the recovery side now since I'm--gulp--facing an expedited surgery next Wednesday and thought it was time to start thinking about what it will be like on the "other side" next week. Sounds like you're doing great at about 2 weeks out--hurray for you! Not excited about surgery but will be glad to get it over and done so I can join the cool kids on the other side for lots of whining but hopeful progress.
 
@enoughpain good for you with your pre admission testing!! Another step closer!
I read about your scare with that overzealous nurse. Glad you got reassurances from many, including Josephine.. I told you earlier and will say it again, I sooo wish I had an ice machine this time around.

@Barbaraj I am laughing... cool kids.. :rotfl: Ok, so surgery isn't the best part of the THR but then with each day and week, you will be stronger and will feel soooo much better!! My date was brought forward a week, it was difficult to say yes, but I swallowed hard and did it. I wanted it earlier, but with my mom passing away just a couple weeks earlier and missing so much work? It was a big decision. My head and heart wasn't in my work anyway and I am so glad I said yes!

Here I am, at 15 days post op and for a good portion of the day I am walking without the cane. Later tonight will feel sore and tight enough that I will want it for support, but seriously everything feels pretty darn good.
My husband, thinking he was helping, pulled up all of my onions in the garden. Then as they were drying in a heap I asked him to clean them up a bit, meaning to trim the top shoots off and shake off the dirt and dust. OMG he trimmed them of everything! I literally have two huge bowls of ravaged onions! hahah
So, this afternoon we rinsed and diced a bunch of them for the freezer. Then others were sliced into rings and I roasted them in my air fryer. I had a zucchini to roast too, so I just got down to business.
Yesterday I made a batch of cornbread so it would be ready when he returned home from helping his 95 y.o. mother. I knew he would be tired and would appreciate my heating up the leftovers and having warm cornbread to boot.
I did ok, was super tired last night and as a result I was really groggy this morning, too. But then rallied enough for the veggies this afternoon and now I am elevating and resting and plan to do nothing strenuous for the remainder of the day.. I would love to walk up my street for a short walk, but that's it.

What a difference 2 weeks make.. I know there will be days where I'm exhausted and will have more soreness, but overall each day is a good and better day.. with the second hip I know to just go with the flow... of the ice cubes! :ice:
 
@CricketHip You're soaring along! You are so far ahead of where I am at 2 weeks I'm green with envy. I'm trying to use the cane rather than the walker but nowhere near ready to walk unassisted and no way could I do the amount of cooking you've done. I think you're a testament to the fast recovery of the anterior approach. The approach my OS uses is supposed to be less traumatic than posterior, lower risk of dislocation, minimal pain but this is still a slow recovery.
 
@gertie please don't go green on me :heehee: you are correct in that my first two weeks might be a little easier with the anterior approach but then things level out. I have been guilty of joining the ODIC frequently this past week as a result. Some days I am without the cane for a while then I am back using it again.. I hope you are feeling better with each passing day and are able to get out and about some?
 
:wowspring:Look at you @CricketHip
You are sailing through this recovery process. Hope you continue to get stronger every day.
Hopeful story for those awaiting surgery.

:flwrysmile:
 
three weeks update So, here I am at my 3 weeks anniversary, things are going well so I am very pleased.
There are some definite differences this time around, though.

1. I can't take Tramadol this time around and I miss it! Apparently, even though I took it 4 years ago while on Zoloft for my anxiety, the medical community has decided that it isn't safe to do so now. My OS wants me to continue on the Oxycodone and Tylenol and I hate the OXY! It makes me itch, a lot! I also think it makes me feel too good and then I overdo things and set myself back a bit.
I haven't taken any of it since early morning yesterday and I'm ok without it, just a little more achey and much more aware of the tightness in my ITB and upper thigh muscles.

2. I think I love my new hip and double hippie status! The newest hip glides along..feels like it's fairly level in leg length compared my other side and that is reassuring. My ankle continues to swell and feel very sore, along with my achilles tendon. I wonder if they possibly sprained it when wrestling me around? Is that possible @Josephine? Especially since earlier in my younger years I had fractured that foot long with badly spraining the ankle. I figure it wasn't too strong to begin with.

3. Impatience.. it's an ugly thing. :no-fin: It makes me restless and then I start fussing in the garden, walking in the yard on uneven surfaces and forgetting my cane in the tomato plants.. truth !! So I spend the following day with my good friends- ice and rest- I'd like to see thing even out and be a little more like a straight line without the peaks and valleys. But it's my own fault and this is also another reason to banish the oxycodone.

4. I am happy.. I needed some time away from my practice, and taking care of my mother long distance/worrying constantly about her and then her subsequent death on June 3rd knocked me back a bit and I needed this break.
So, the timing of my THR was serendipitous! I was so grateful when they moved me up a week earlier, too!! There is a very calming peacefulness to having the second hip replaced and knowing that when I do return to work I will be able to do my physical work easier and be better equipped to handle the emotional aspect of working with people fighting their own battles. I was worn down so thin myself that I was having difficulty coping with what was coming through my office door.

5. Hubby has been getting me out, one day to the Dairy Queen-- ok maybe a few days there..I am craving vanilla malts! What's up with that? Last Saturday wedrove to a lovely outside grill/bar and was able to bring our dog along which thrilled us all to no end. The best part is that there's a trail right behind the restaurant and I walked a distance with them, then sat on a bench and watched them walk further. I am consistently logging in somewhere in between 5 and 6 thousand steps daily. I questioned whether that was accurate so paid close attention and yes, I am actually walking that much!

So, there it is, my life at three weeks. I can't wait to see the PA this afternoon and see what he thinks.. I hope they snap a picture today, too. I wonder if it will show signs of healing that soon? Like knitting bones?

BoneSmart is again key to my sanity and healing.. and I felt like this long before I became a forum advisor. It is a Godsend to us all and I did my part yesterday, shopping on Smile Amazon and listing them as my charity. I may be back there again today. :loll::flwrysmile::happydance:
 
Love your update and also that it's not a daily thing. Makes me want to read it more.
You're doing a great job as a FA too, I must add, so kudos to you!

Happy Three Week Anniversary! It's flying by. You've been through an awful lot in the past 6 weeks and seem to be doing amazingly well. May it only get better!
@CricketHip
 
Good morning @CricketHip … I was hoping for an update from you :) Sounds like you are doing amazingly well. I do believe our past experiences and of course BS has eased much of our concerns. Nothing can help with the impatience though! Isn't it true that we just don't know the line that we cross which takes us into the ODIC?!

You are not compromising life at this stage...going out to dinner, (I am now wanting a vanilla Malt), even a little gardening....good for you! I would say I did not do as much walking as you are doing at 3 weeks...just an observation...

I love that you have taken this time to recalibrate things...everything big and small. :loveshwr:

I am almost at 3 months (!) and I find myself doing just a bit too much bending over to pull just a couple more weeds from the garden...someone tell me to stop!!!

Have a great check up! Let us know what they "see" :dancy:
 
Sounds like you're doing well, @CricketHip, despite your understandable impatience which we all suffer with during this tedious recovery process. It's great that you're able to walk so much--5000 steps daily is pretty impressive for someone who's just 3 weeks out of surgery! Bummer about not being able to use Tramadol. I am hoping to have it again as I, too, hated the oxy and the weird brain fog it caused. Keep soldiering on, you're on the long, slow march but you'll get there in the end, and fully bionic in 2020! Me too!
 
Hi @CricketHip
Glad you are rolling with this recovery business and giving that new hip all the babying it needs to get with the program.
Except for the incision, pain and forced restrictions, :giggle:...I was actually also grateful for a sabbatical from my life's crazy busy responsibilities.

Wishing you an easy peasy day.:flwrysmile:
 
Wonderful update @CricketHip

I am glad to hear you are enjoying the peaceful part of recovery and getting a break from work and caregiving. Malts from DQ are a great treat. There may be some calcium in there too. ;)

Interesting to read about baby aspirin and waiting for turmeric. I will read up too. Hope today is a great day. :flwrysmile:
 
Such a good update @CricketHip, you are definitely coming along. I think patience is something we all need to work on, in already wrestling with mine. :friends:
 
My check up was a good one! Everything is healing right on schedule and my X-rays look good.
Then best of all, today I had a hair appt. it was so nice to be in the salon and get this head of hair under control.. I have just enough curl to be crazy in the summer months.
I must say that 3 weeks is a nice turning point.
We are in the throes of a nasty heat wave but am hoping to get outside and increase my walking and see how I do.
:walking::walking::walking:
 
Good news! Woohoo! :happydance: Reassurance that all is going well is music to our ears.
I'll bet it felt good to freshen up your locks. The bedhead look we sport in those early days weeks certainly isn't our best look. I know when I look better, I feel better.
The heat is overwhelming here too. Super high dew points, feels like a sauna out there. Ugh!
Stay cool and enjoy the weekend!
@CricketHip
 
Hair appointment sounds wonderful! I haven’t been able to wash my hair yet as I cannot get in the shower until Monday My hair is very long and luckily doesn’t look too greasy but it certainly doesn’t look good. You are going along really well and its encouraging to read.
 
3. Impatience.. it's an ugly thing. :no-fin: It makes me restless
Really feeling it this week too! Wish there was a 'patience pill'!! Now that I think about it, in California we used to say 'take a chill pill'. Must check my personal medicine cabinet!

You sound like you deserve a little time out just for yourself, crickethip, even if it is recuperating from a hip op. :elevate: Rest and take care. Thanks for all your support here. :flwrysmile:
 
Wonderful update @CricketHip :flwrysmile:

You are so amazing to be three weeks out and encouraging so many others! Thank you for all your support on the board. I see your helpful, healing messages everywhere. So happy you got a great report and a hair cut. It really is the little things.
 
Holy steps @CricketHip, that’s impressive activity! Hair appointments are so rewarding, good for you! Losing your Mom and handling surgery must be a very different mindset. One of evolving acceptance I’d imagine, requiring a certain level of grace that you seem to possess.

I’m one week ahead of you but nowhere near the activity level. You must be very fit. I think about getting my Fitbit on just to see how many steps when I do go out. I have been shopping for an hour or so at a time, it was very fatiguing. Last night I was dragging to bed on the third floor. I met a friend for lunch, came home and stretched out to rest. Then we met friends for dinner, followed by standing in line for ice cream. I can sit in padded booths and bring a cushion, but it still really hurts deeply after about 30 minutes. Just those two outings depleted me. My sister had a bad car accident three years ago, breaking both her knees straight across. She’s permanently disabled and describes it as having a certain amount of energy in a day and when it’s used up, she’s not in pain but exhausted, her legs are like lead and she has trouble moving. It seems like that (+ pain) and it’s frustrating because it doesn’t look like I’ve done ANYTHING strenuous. Just sitting! I’m impressed you could walk the path AND sit on a bench. It’s so interesting how varied our recoveries all are. Thanks for your posts ❤️
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom