BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Yippie Yippie.. Double Hippie!! (CricketHip)

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by CricketHip, Jun 24, 2019.

1. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    @Rbc Hello! Well, first of all- what was your approach? I had the anterior and it is known for making the first week or so a bit easier, then things level off. I am actually rather fit and strong. Over weight a bit but strong and always have been. I have a physically demanding job, too and I think just maybe, because of many injuries and fractures that preceded this I may have learned to manage things a bit better? Lots of practice? I'm not sure, but after yesterday's hair appointment I returned home and slept deeply for at least 90 minutes! Your shopping for over an hour trumps my short little walk on that trail! :thumb: :rofsign:

You sound like you are getting out and doing a lot, actually. Please don't sell yourself short and yes I think if you put that Fitbit back on you will be very surprised at your numbers.
    Your sister! What a horrible accident. I hope things continue to improve for her as surely it would take a long time to regain all that was lost.
    P.S. you are only 5 days ahead of me, you are right up there with me with your progress.!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Barbaraj

Barbaraj supremo

Really, @CricketHip, the anterior approach is supposed to make the first week easier?!! Shudder, I can only imagine how tough it must be for others, then. I had anterior approach with both hips and sitting at the chair in front of my computer, I am feeling a deep ache along the line of the incision (which is available for view in all it's glory as no bandage, just glue which looks like a strip of tape0 and feeling exhausted. Sleeping on my back is the absolute pits but when I tried side sleeping I couldn't manage it. Sounds like you're doing great--and, oooh, a hair appointment, that must have been nice. For me, it will be when I'm able to go back in and get a manicure. I may have old, veined and age spotted hands but, dang it, I usually have pretty, colorful nails! Cheers.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. CricketHip

lol @Barbaraj I think it is supposed to be easier.. but I think it's all relative, right? Hey the first week is just a lot of heat, soreness and throbbing. but you are sitting up in a chair at your desk? I don't think I tried sitting like that the first week, so kudos to you! The other "easier" aspect is that we don't have those restrictions, right? Like no 90 degree angle limits.
    Your sense of humor is intact.. that is a good sign.:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. CricketHip

Well, look at me! 4 weeks post op.. plus one day. The weather here is so nice and I celebrated by taking a nice walk outdoors, followed by copious amounts of ice, of course. :ice:
    I think I am progressing along nicely. It's definitely an up and down progression, depending on what I've done for the day. The biggest challenge is the stairs. To do laundry is 2 flights down from our master bedroom and there's some laundry that I feel safer washing myself (and drying) vs. my husband.:heehee:
    My Tylenol schedule is much more casual now. I'd say maybe on an 8 hour loop instead of watching the clock hit the 6 hour mark.
    Occasionally I can walk up many steps the normal way, one foot after the other, then other times I'm back to the slow-mo trudge. Downstairs is easier but only when my quadriceps are loosened up, the quads and ITB seems to be affecting my flexion just a bit. I walk with one cane and probably 40% of my day is walking without the cane.
    I can't say that there's pain, it's more of a soreness, a tightness with a deep ache, especially towards the posterior hip area.
    The bummer is my sleep patterns, they are plucking on my last nerve. Truly!! What I wouldn't give for a night with a full 5 or 6 hours of sleep.

But! 4 weeks post op is a great thing! The mornings when I wake up and walk to the bathroom without discomfort are my favorite days. I was able to prep a nice lunch for us yesterday, tacos with fresh tomatoes and lettuce from our garden. But goodness, afterwards? Did I ever fall asleep! Energy drain is still real!! Then later in the afternoon I went to my wonderful chiropractor and had a gentle adjustment which helped my low back and S.I. joint... I could easily relax and trust her, she's very competent and gentle.

So, in summary--THR's are a life saver. Yes, there are some dark days before the surgery and some tough days in recovery but we still are so so so lucky to live in this time frame and have offered to us some of the best implants and surgeons out there!

I'm finishing up my icing session and then I'm going to attempt a nice meditation session. We have our AC turned off and it's a very pleasant summer afternoon here. I guess what I am trying to say is that I'm feeling on the top of the world today! :yes!: Hopefully resuming my meditation will help me sleep better.. time will tell.

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Barbaraj

Barbaraj supremo

What a pleasant posting, @CricketHip You are four weeks out, so long enough to look back and see real progress since what I expect (well, it was for me!) a pretty dreadful couple of days just home from the hospital. Sounds like you're doing really well, still icing but cutting back a bit on your Tylenol, and using meditation to help you relax and recharge. I can't imagine letting anyone touch my back at this point (snarling ensues...) but glad that the chiropractor was able to give you a bit of relief from your lower back pain. Have a great sunny afternoon!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Amen to that!
    Nice update. You're doing well. May it only get better. :)
    @CricketHip

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@CricketHip what a great update! Glad you're doing and feeling so well and this gives those coming up behind you hope for their recovery. Super nice day here as well, just not cool enough to cut off AC. Was awesome though when we were out running errands, didn't feel like I was melting!
    :heehee:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Wonderful update @CricketHip

Nothing better than fresh air! Glad you got to walk outside today. Stairs are still challenging for me and I am 3 months from you. I still use a pillow case to transport laundry up and downstairs. Can’t safely manage a basket. At your stage I’d hurl the pillow case from the top of the stairs. Amazing all the tricks we learn with this process. Glad your chiropractor was able to bring relief to your back. Sleep truly is king. Hope you find your magic recipe soon. I’m convinced sleep impacts pain more than anything else. Hope this lovely weather continues. It’s so mood lifting. :console2:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Layla

Happy One Month Anniversary!
    Wishing you all the best as you continue healing. :)
    @CricketHip

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hope today is a Good Day @CricketHip
    Healing mojo cooking at you. :roseshwr:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. mikeycat

mikeycat graduate

Canada Canada
    A wonderful post and inspirational. Boy would I like to sleep in the daytime and nighttime as well for that matter but I sleep in increments and that is ok too.Getting outside is grand isn't it? And veggies from your garden what more could you ask for.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

@CricketHip, great to hear your recovery is progressing ... and WONDERFUL ... to hear someone planning to meditate. I want to be more consistent with meditating ... which is strange ... because I feel 1000 x better when I regularly meditate ... Anyway, great to hear the update of a fellow Rothman patient.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Hip Hip Hooray!

Hip Hip Hooray! post-grad

You sound great, @CricketHip. I'm happy to hear that your recovery is going so well. I was on Oxy and Tramadol after my surgery. It's interesting to hear your take on the meds. I didn't feel anything from the Tramadol, but took it just in case it was working and I didn't notice. The Oxy gave me such incredible relief. I hope you are able to sleep more hours in a row soon. I remember those nights of getting up, taking meds, and icing. Soon it will all be a distant memory...

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Good Morning @CricketHip Just stopping by to wish you a wonderful day. Happy to see your progress. Encouraging recoveries are inspiring to read. :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. CricketHip

So, just when you think it's safe to get back in your vehicle and begin living a bit of your life....
    last week I had an eye appt. and found/ordered a new pair of glasses. I was feeling a little weird that day, like my proprioceptive spider senses were off but decided I still wanted to go to a Home Goods store. My first big mistake of the day..
    Well, long story short, somebody lifted my wallet while my purse was sitting in the cart. :holysheep:

My little outing turned into a very long afternoon, much longer than my hip could handle. I lost a credit card, 2 debit cards, one is my personal one and the other a business card. Plus my drivers license and a multitude of other cards and receipts..
    Within a short span of time more than 3700 dollars was attempted on them! Luckily I was able to report the cards and the one charge was declined.. But at the moment I am a little over 2700 dollars short. I really don't think this would have happened if I wasn't off my game a bit. Plus it took me at least 15 minutes to think about calling the bank to cancel the cards, I'm so annoyed about that.. further proof my brain isn't up to snuff.

Then it took me 2 days to get my leg and hip back under control, especially since I had to go to the DMV the following day- a Saturday which took a good bit of time and also to return to the police department to follow up some details on the incident.
    Husband was so sweet. He packed up our car with bottled water and a cooler with ice packs and we drove out to Amish country and just enjoyed the rolling hills, fields and farm animals while I sat all comfy for most of the afternoon. It did both my mind and body a world of good. We like to take our dog with us and found a nice restaurant with outdoor seating the allows dogs.
    So, lesson #1. be careful on your first outings.. things could go a little haywire or you might join the ODIC
    #2. be kind to yourself, if lesson # 1 happens. :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@CricketHip Wow, what a wild ride you have been through. Your husband is a peach!!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. linette333

linette333 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What a truly awful experience @CricketHip ! Glad to hear that everything is now resolved and that you are feeling calmer.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Bergame

Bergame junior member

@CricketHip Aww - this is not fair. You have a chance to have a little fun shopping adventure and end up having to spend time at DMV. If I see those wallet thieves, I'll thwack them with my crutch! Your drive through the country sounds like the perfect corrective though, and I'm glad you're being kind to yourself in response.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Layla

I'm so sorry, Carol. That is awful. It serves as a word of caution not to leave handbags unattended, which I'm sadly guilty of. In the cart, most often unzipped or unbuckled. When I have done this and stepped away for a couple secs, to pick something up, or get a better look, I'm totally aware that it can be risky and find myself doing it anyway. :hissy: I'll now think twice and hopefully learn from your sad misfortune.

Thankfully hubs came to the rescue after a couple bad days and you were able to escape to the peaceful wide open spaces and later enjoy some al fresco dining. Glad to hear you found it soothing.
    I hope today feels a lot brighter! :SUNsmile:
    @CricketHip

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. CricketHip

@Layla, you are so right. My purse was, indeed, left unzipped in my cart. sigh Then the policewoman, a very sweet young lady told me this happens a lot with .... gasp.... middle-aged women! :scare:

It was interesting to think about the chain of events that led to overtaxing the hip. too. It doesn't take much to upset the new joint cart.

• Like Like x 2