THR Yippie Yippie.. Double Hippie!! (CricketHip)

@ceezee The Grand Canyon was difficult for me just trying to go down the trail with all the switch backs when I was 25! I could never dream of doing it at this age. I did do the trail down to Havasupi and back. It was much easier. Gorgeous waterfalls.
Thank you for your suggestion about LEKI walking poles. I appreciate it. I know you have had two THR this year and I consider you another expert in this realm. My other hip will need surgery, but not just yet, my OS said.
I am so glad you are doing well. Have great fun in Montreal. The last time I was there it was 1968, I think, for the World’s Fair. Do they even have those anymore?

@gertie Thank you, for suggesting the Black Diamonds with foam. I agree comfort is important. I have OA in my right wrist. OA in fingers, too. I am taking after my great grandmother. Despite it she lived past 100.
I will need to go to a sporting goods store soon and try out how the grip works with my wrists. Initially I thought I could get some ski poles at a garage sale, as I had to give up skiing a few years back, :bawl: but I think it’s time to take up pole walking as a new senior sport after THR. My town has an indoor track for walking, and that will work well this winter. I am assembling my “new hip wish list help items.”

@VSlowLife I have to be careful not to grip too hard or my wrist hurts, especially on the left side and especially when I'm bracing on a downhill section. It has gotten better with use over time.

@CricketHip … 3 months...what a wonderful report for still so early going...definitely use those walking sticks...I wish I had mine with me yesterday (I forgot). We went for a pretty level 3 mile hike but there were different size rocks on the trail and I would have felt more "safe" if I had them with me. Plus, the upper body workout is always a plus. My walking poles are called Exerstriders.

I am so glad that you are back to doing things you and hubby love doing together. The soup sounds divine. I need to go apple and pumpkin picking, along with buying all of the winter squashes. I do enjoy the Fall!

All of the lingering stiffness, overdoing because we don't know when to stop, etc. will become less and less. It happens so slowly, you don't even realize it...So, keep up the great work!

Sending best wishes for your Mother-in-Law and your special Lab....Labs are the sweetest. Our son has a black English Lab....xox

@VSlowLife I think my sticks are the Leki brand, too. I found them at the REI store near us.. I was totally clueless and a nice sales rep helped me adjust them, etc. I agree with Gertie, in that I need to make sure Im not gripping too hard with my hands.

We just returned from the food fair.. the weather was perfect, cloudy with a nice breeze and the rain held off. We ate our way down through the vendors.. ran into several friends/clients, which was fun.
The bad news is that the restaurant wasn't outside selling their soup. :bawl:I guess I could have walked inside but tht wasn't what we wanted to do, we wanted to stay outdoors.
I did get caught in the trolley tracks a couple times but the hip was steady and strong, just like I had hoped.

I am a happy girl. Later tonight I shall do my exercises and work in my home office a bit, how that room can get so messy is beyond me..

Now if we can get good news about Rooney (yellow lab) this week, all will be just swell. :dogsniff:

@Bfam85 thank you for always being so supportive!! Can you believe it? We have had both our hips fixed up.. and in a very similar time frame.
We both need to get strong and stable before the freezing rain and ice/snow arrives.. which m=reminds me,, I think I want to get some of those griper things that fit over your boots to help you gain traction in the winter? Do any of you bonesmarties use any that are really good? @mainegirl1 maybe?

@Bfam85 another question for you? Do you still take anything for the stiffness? Tylenol or NSAID's?
Asking for a friend :rotfl:

I think I want to get some of those griper things that fit over your boots to help you gain traction in the winter? Do any of you bonesmarties use any that are really good?
My husband and I have those. When we were both working in Philly and taking the train they were handy to have on hand. Definitely help with ice. Snow is usually not bad to walk in so I didn’t use them unless it was icy. I still keep a pair for me in the car. I have a container full of winter things like folding shovel, space blanket, regular old wool blanket, etc....

Just like the Leki poles, I got them at REI. Super place.

@CricketHip I use Stabilicers--easy to pull on over boots and have cleat-type grippers that work well on ice. Like ceezee I keep a pair in the car. They make for rough walking on pavement but they got me safely from my car to my office on some dicey/icey parking lot days and last winter got me safely down my driveway to the mailbox each day. But I figure that walking outdoors for exercise is probably a no-go for a couple of months mid-winter.

I still take acetaminophen daily for stiffness/soreness. There are days when I forget because everything is feeling good and then by late afternoon, wish I'd taken something. My worst soreness, though, is first thing in the morning--that first trip down the hall is always a shuffle and groan rather than a bright springy walk.

My worst soreness, though, is first thing in the morning--that first trip down the hall is always a shuffle and groan rather than a bright springy walk.
Oh boy, Gertie,, isn't that the best description.. a shuffle and a groan. But the joint itself feels great, that gives me great hope.. Thanks to you on the Stablicers.. I'll check them out and thanks @ceezee for your REI suggestion. I do love going into that store...

@gertie My “local” sporting good store does not have much of a selection of trekking poles, I learned online, so I found some women’s Black Diamonds with foam for 20% off. Since I will be starting to use them in the colder months, I think the foam is better for me. Thank you for the suggestion. Glad to hear over time your wrist adjusted, and thank you for the tip on not holding too hard, also @CricketHip.
I live around quite a bit of water, so most folks beach walk, thus few walking poles in my area.
@CricketHip I do have ice grippers from LLBean. They fit over my Sorel snow boots.
Glad you had a food day outdoors, with much less pain. :flwrysmile:Poor Rooney, I hope things go well. It’s tough when our four legged babies are not feeling well.

I have Kahtoola Microspikes and we all in the neighborhood have been using similar for twenty years. There are newer lighter in the line the Nano spikes. I once had stabilicers and they were so heavy and clunky I chucked them, Please avoid the Yak Trax.. they are not as stable as you can roll on them and they have a short life before breaking They have a new model the ICE trekker but note here is no traction aid mid sole.

Also know you cannot drive in any of these! I keep my microspikes on my winter walking boots all year and do not take them on and off.
For running to the store this year I am trying LL Beans Comfort Mocs with Arctic Grip. I can't wear spikes in the car but from the car to the store the ice is usually miminal but I would like slip protection.

I have other true trail crampons but those are for hiking not walking; the spikes are longer.

Also know you cannot drive in any of these!
Good point!

I’m curious as to how well the llbean comfort Mocs will work. And I’ll have to check out the nanospikes.

In Philly we don’t usually get tons of snow but we sure do get lots of freezing ice.

Hi @CricketHip....If I remember correctly, I stopped taking the occasional Tylenol or Aleve around 3 or 4 months. Icing and elevating also stopped around that mark as well. So happy to report that after yesterday's hike my leg didn't swell...that's a first right there.

It's funny, when getting out of bed in the morning, I still stand up and wait to see how everything sorts out before I start walking! Up until recently, I had to step slowly to get things flowing, but lately that first step feels fine :) You will get there!

The snow/ice will be here before you know, but I don't plan on ever being out on ice if I can help it. I have used ice grippers, but the ones I had were so hard to put on over my shoes/boots. You should probably try a pair on before you purchase if you can.

It really is such fun to be able to do this together and compare notes. I feel like the big sister!!! hahahaha

If you have dedicated outdoor shoes consider leaving them on.
I do mostly because we always have hard packed snow and ice Nov to April
Secondary roads never are free of it as we get few melts but with warning winters more snows that end in rain then a hard freeze.
The alternative is the penguin shuffle step on ice. Safer as you are always taking little shuffles.
Like you may have done before hip replacement!

@Bfam85 yes! You always had your replacements right before I did.
Haha. Big Sister!! And friend. :loveshwr:

@mainegirl1 you know what? I could delegate some old boots for the grippers.
especially for walking Rooney. It gets nasty at times with black ice, that stuff scares me!
Thanks!

@VSlowLife mens sizes
I ordered mens shoes I have wide feet
Two number sizes down from womens sizes
though heavy sox can take more room
These aren't exactly fashion shoes .
Gads its been ages since I wore heels as most heels are not a d width nor a ten except frumpy ones

@mainegirl1 Of course! Thank you. It’s been a long time since I got a hand me up, when my son had work shoes he outgrew and they fit me for yard work. Ditto on the heels. Not hip OA friendly. When it comes to not falling on ice, fashion is less important. I was a D during my pregnancy many years ago. I am closer to a C now. I swear I am getting OA in my toes and some shoes from last year are tight.
I am a nine so I know what a ten looks like. Once in a while I get 9 1/2 with thick socks.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back