THR Yippie Yippie.. Double Hippie!! (CricketHip)

No @Aline I actually haven't had Graeters.. or if I did it was long ago and I've forgotten.. I know it's a must have, too.. no excuse as to why I haven't had it on my recent visits.
@mainegirl1 skyline chili is a chili with a very unique taste and when I was a Buckeye I thought everybody ate their chili on spaghetti noodles.. then I moved East. :shrug: But I had it one night at our home for some friends and now it's become a tradition with us. Even their teenaged kids ask me when I'll make it again.
I hear you about the tight hip flexors. That was my issue earlier on in the recovery. The most consistent 'squeaky wheels' are still the ITB and TFL.
I realized recently that there isn’t any pain in my groin or hip now,, just the lateral leg muscles and other soft tissues. That is such a thrill to realize that there's only soft tissue soreness now. :happydance:
 
Hi there, @CricketHip Yup, my hip flexors are in miserable shape right now and I suspect weren't really doing all that great before surgery. I had an exercise for dealing with that but I never seemed to progress very well with that. I am sure I need some other exercises to try as tight hip flexors really can impact one's gait, and mine is off, I know. And nice to read no groin or hip pain now--progress, real progress!
 
Right there with you @CricketHip all that debilitating pain is gone! I too am just dealing with tenderness soreness when I bump my hip area or touch the skin.. still having issues with the left leg knee area.. cortisone not much relief.. waiting for time to pass for mri.. fluid would show they told me end of month. The only thing keeping me on the cane, the left longer I’m on my feet the larger it becomes and painful, I’ll take it.. lol.. nothing compares to what we all have endured for 12 weeks...I simply cannot get upset or angry at anything at this point I am thrilled as well!! Huggs :friends:
 
@CricketHip I'm just catching up here and am glad to hear that things are progressing so well! Yay to cooking for friends and Skyline Chili too (blast from the past--I grew up in Cincinnati).
 
@gertie, thank you!! Ahh, another Ohio gal. I think Southern Ohio is so pretty..
I sure was tired by Sunday evening, but so glad I hosted the dinner.. it was fun! Sometimes we forget how we used to live. At least for me, my world had been shrinking.. nice to begin spreading my wings again!
 
@CricketHip, this inspires me! I can't wait to flow back into my normal life. I miss it! Gratefully, I've got two trips planned that gives me something to look forward to and will boost me out my small world and back into my larger world. :loveshwr:
 
Aww, thank you @gertie and it is very satisfying. You have been spreading your wings, too! I feel like we took this on together with our close surgery dates.. :loveshwr:

I'm you have some trips to help keep your eye on the prize.. it really helps! But you are still early on in the recovery game.. you have a great attitude about your healing process. Which is much of the battle, don't you think?

I was really discouraged around weeks 4 and 5. It taught me some patience, which is always a good trait to have and it isn't my strong suit. But things are looking up and improving quickly now! I just finished walking my yellow lab.. Rooney. I forgot to check my watch to see how far we walked but I'm guessing we went close to a mile and this is after working today. I only worked on 2 clients but overall, I felt very productive!
I just hope I'm not exhausted tomorrow..:yawn: but at least I don't report for work until 11:30 am yippee!!~
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to check my watch to see how far we walked but I'm guessing we went close to a mile and this is after working today. I only worked on 2 clients but overall, I felt very productive!
I just hope I'm not exhausted tomorrow..

Two years before surgery, my walking had diminished tremendously because of the pain. Fortunately, I could play pickleball (different kind of movements). Soooo grateful for that. I'm looking forward to being able to do some trail walking again, of which there are many here in the Seattle area. No running, which I used to do LOTS. Two joint replacements won't be happy with long-distance running. I will be happy just to return to golf and play pickleball.

I was asked by one of my clients when I'd be returning to work. My goal is next week when I can drive again, but that may be too ambitious. My body will let me know. However, I do miss working. Hope to get there soon.

take good care...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Awww, good luck with your decision next week, and I know you'll make the right decision.
It's so difficult to not be there when someone needs you to be. But you and me both need to take care of ourselves first.
I was sitting at my desk today and chuckling about my schedule. Apparently I didn't lose anybody due to my absence, which was a long one!! I missed several weeks before my hip surgery due to the illness of my mother.
I couldn't change the events and had to flow with it. Somehow it's all working out. It will for you, also.
I need to look up pickleball!! :tennis:
 
Absolutely! It WILL work out. Over the years, taking care of self is paramount to helping others. I do understand the possibility (and the anxieity that comes with it) that I might lose clients. But I've been inundated with text messages from many of them, wishing me a speedy recovery, but they're also saying, "No hurries. More important to be healed than to rush back." I'm very grateful.

Let me know how your return to work goes.

sweet dreams
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@CricketHip Congratulations on that walk with Rooney! I hope you're feeling OK today. I did what I think was around a 1 mile walk on Tuesday--first mile-long walk in at least 6 months, maybe longer--didn't have my FitBit but did have my iPhone in my hip pocket, although I'm not sure I trust its step/distance counter. In any case, I was tired at the end of the walk and muscle achy that night but nothing dire. Feels good to be getting back to walking after months of a painful hip. I took it easy yesterday. We'll see what today brings. I hope you're having the same beautiful weather we are.
 
Slowly but surely, @CricketHip you and so many of us are starting to really spread our wings again and while everyone is moving on a somewhat different path, we're all heading in the right direction! Taking care of ourselves first, as we can't help others unless we ourselves treat ourselves, physically and mentally, with compassion and needed time to recuperate and recharge. You are doing great--just keep it up!
 
Slowly but surely, @CricketHip you and so many of us are starting to really spread our wings again and while everyone is moving on a somewhat different path, we're all heading in the right direction! Taking care of ourselves first, as we can't help others unless we ourselves treat ourselves, physically and mentally, with compassion and needed time to recuperate and recharge. You are doing great--just keep it up!

So true! We all have our own path and timing.. I need to check in on your thread and see if you are doing as well as you were last week! I'm sure you are. I hope to update later with my PT news.. I'm thrilled with my 'person'
:loveshwr:
Thank you @Barbaraj you are always so encouraging. It's appreciated.
 
@gertie I feel great today! I still ice each night and elevate.. it's helping whether I think I need it or not.
Slowly the morning stiffness is receding too. PT gave me some great direction and already my ITB seems less like a nasty dictator!! As @ceezee said earlier... throw the confetti! :loveshwr:
 
Hi @CricketHip :hi:... So happy to see this latest post of yours! Looks like life is beginning to return to "normal" again after a relatively short period of time. You are so disciplined to ice and elevate every night...I bet that's one of the reasons you are doing so well. Glad that you also have a good PT that can help you. They are truly worth their weight in gold!!!

The weather this past week has been stellar...trying to get out as much as possible and enjoy it.

Keep up the excellent work my friend!!! :yay:
 
PT gave me some great direction and already my ITB seems less like a nasty dictator!!
That nasty dictator, ITB (IT Band)...yes, very sore for lots of us. I've been massaging my lateral quad (outside), ITB, and lateral hamstring (outside) the last few evenings and it helps lots. Particularly with the night visitors, muscle spasms, restless legs, and other weird and unsettling feelings that run up and down my leg starting precisely at 10 pm. Glad you're getting the help you need. Stay in touch! Sweet dreams.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Particularly with the night visitors, muscle spasms, restless legs, and other weird and unsettling feelings that run up and down my leg starting precisely at 10 pm.
If you haven’t already tried taking magnesium you could give that a shot. I had the same issues and magnesium totally stopped them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, magnesium is one of those lovely miracle minerals. I do take ReMag (liquid Mag) and also another potasium, etc. supplement that contains magnesium. I may up my dosage just because our bodies take such a hit with surgery. It has been getting better the last couple of nights maybe because I've been adding massage to my nightly routine. Thanks so much for your suggestion. Very sweet of you to think of me. Happy Recovery!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom