Guest viewing is limited

THR Yippie Yippie.. Double Hippie!! (CricketHip)

Oh, my goodness--all this talk about ice and nano-spiked shoes is freaking me out. Is winter just around the corner--eek! This is definitely when I appreciate suburbia where when it snows, which is rarely here in the PNW, I simply don't go outside and spend a lot of time with my nose pressed against a window. If driving is needed, my husband does that. Don't go out in snow ever--major, major weenie. I couldn't live in the places you ladies do, so brave, all of you!
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Happy Friday and weekend too! I hope you have some special plans and experience blue skies, sunshine and pleasant temps on this Autumn weekend.
Enjoy!
@CricketHip
 
Good morning on this official 4 months hippie-versary update! :wave:

I am happy to say that I am feeling pretty darn good these days. At the 3 months mark, I was still plagued with such tight and sore muscles and some inner groin discomfort. I began some PT which at first seemed to be a good fit- well, it wasn't. I gave it up after 4 visits. I will say that he gave me some postural restoration exercises that almost immediately eased the feeling of a tight band encircling my mid thigh area and eased the wicked tightness of my ITB and I am grateful for that.
But the other exercises began throwing my rectus femoris into a nasty cycle that was verging on tendonitis.. it had that sharp painful feeling and would wake me up at night if I moved my leg in certain directions.
I talked to my PT and he hemmed and hawed, suggesting I call my OS office and get back on NSAIDS- then about 30 minutes into the scheduled one hour session he asked if I had anything else I wanted to do for the day? whaaaaat?? So I suggested maybe ultra sound on my hip flexors or some hands on stuff and he said well, I think we are done for the day.
I didn't go back.
I do exercises based on what I can do without having discomfort and now I am quite happy with my hip.
I am able to walk briskly for a good 1-1/2 miles, working mostly full time and sleeping very well.
Groin pain is gone,, that completely left for good only about 2 weeks ago. So it took awhile to recover.
The most difficult issue currently, is that my upper body became de-conditioned during my recovery and it's giving me some grief about returning to work full time. So I need to balance things a little better for the entire body,, I should know better but we all know it's a process, right?
I'm so happy to have this all behind me and to be feeling so well again..
Kind of a boring report, huh?
:flwrysmile: :loveshwr::tada:
 
Thank you @Layla!! I just cannot believe it's been 4 months.
On the intake form at the surgeon's office it asked about my goals for having the THR.
My reply was
1) walk briskly for exercise without pain
2) sleep through the night without the nerve and bone pain

I got both wishes.. :prayer:
 
Last edited:
Funny story, though.. My brain. It's a space cadet some days. Anesthetic? The results of a very very difficult year? Who knows, but I am so absent minded..

I prepped for my work day and when my hair looks flat on top I will put a velcro roller in it while driving.
Of course I ran some errands, picked up my laundry at the clean and fold service ( massage linens), dropped off things to the Good Will.
Then I look in my rearview mirror......no wonder I received some funny looks! [Bonesmart.org] Yippie Yippie.. Double Hippie!! (CricketHip)
 
those griper things that fit over your boots to help you gain traction in the winter?
I have some that are rubberised to stretch and have metal spiral thingies on some of the rubber parts. I've used them in slippy icey situations. I got them off QVC here in UK but I can't remember the brand name. Merrell has some good traction shoes / boots. Look for their 'artic ice' range. Special vibram soles that don't get hard when it gets freezing.
 
Kind of a boring report, huh
Not at all!!! You're sounding great! I can relate to the pains and tight muscles at three months that miraculously disappeared by month 4 - thank God. Onwards and upwards, my eternally positive hipster. Thanks for your support. :thumb:
 
@CricketHip
The photo really cracked me up and hit home with me. I did the same two days ago only with a blue Velcro roller on the way to meet my dad for breakfast. I was probably spared what you experienced only because I got tired of the roller bumping the roof of my vehicle and finally yanked it out thinking, if I didn't I'd probably forget and wear it into the restaurant. I don't know about you, but I feel like I'd tell a woman if I witnessed one walking around looking clueless. :rotfl:
 
. I got them off QVC here in UK but I can't remember the brand name

I had the same from QVC, where they used to bring in a block of ice and demonstrate by walking around on it, lol. I think they were called Yak Trax or something like that, but someone on here said it's a crappy brand so there must be better ones out there. May have been @mainegirl1 Was that you, Mainegirl?
 
Yep Yak Trax sent my neighbor tumbling down her icy slanted driveway when the coil broke. And she is 95 lbs. and wears a size 5 shoe so stress was not a factor.
I use Kahtoola Microspikes but they are sharp little pointies and best left on boots that are left outside at the door. Here in the winter when we visit we always bring a bag with house slippers or driving shoes. You can't drive in them either.
Stabilicers are another brand name but when I tried them they were so heavy. I got some of those Arctic Ice shoes that Merrell and LL Bean carries for driving when changing out of and into spikies is hardly practical. I can negotiate my driveway and the supermarket driveway with those.. ( the two most visited pieces of pavement. I am not visiting doctors office pavement soon I Hope and plan)
 
Pretty cool, really. Especially if you can wear them right from the slippery parking lot, indoors. I lost my Yak Trax long ago and this seems more practical than off / on and carrying "indoor shoes" along with me all winter long.
Thanks @mainegirl1

 
@CricketHip Happy 4 Month Anniversary! You are doing so well, Happy for you! Love the curler in the hair. :heehee: I've been known to do things like that all too often, we're all just human. :loll:
 
Yes, I bought ones that Mainegirl said were heavy. :shrug: But I don't plan to go hiking for miles in the ice so I think they are ok.. I also ordered those Arctic shoes. worst fitting things ever! I will return them in person and try other sizes. Surely the clerk can help fit me better than I did online.
@Lalya, sadly every single person who saw me were men. What's up with that?

At least it was just one roller.. Yes, @Elf1 we are just human, with unruly hair :rotfl:.
But we have darn good hips! The best money can buy!
Oh! I bought my MIL the "Yak Trax." She used to live in her own home with a nasty steep driveway. they didn't work, probably didn't buy me any brownie points!
 
We still bring inside shoes as sand is so prevalent ( we don't have salt on the roads) and sand is rough on hardwood floors
To be seen is how much sand a arctic grip sole retains . My and my hubby hiking boots retain a huge amount and he gets my wrath for going to the bathroom with boots on.
I get to clean the mess as he doesn't notice it and I get tired of being a nag
 
I just saw boots here (Montréal), probably for men, that have a steel gripper piece In the sole that flips from flat to grippy. I’ll try to find out the name of them. They looked pretty useful and snazzy.
 
Happy Four Month Hip anniversary, @CricketHip ! You have come a long way and I am glad to hear you are so much better than the three month point.
Walking briskly for 1 1/2 miles must feel wonderful!
 
I talked to my PT and he hemmed and hawed, suggesting I call my OS office and get back on NSAIDS- then about 30 minutes into the scheduled one hour session he asked if I had anything else I wanted to do for the day? whaaaaat?? So I suggested maybe ultra sound on my hip flexors or some hands on stuff and he said well, I think we are done for the day.
I didn't go back.
That sounds like the PT place where I went. I didn’t go back either.
 
@CricketHip Happy 4 month! SO SO happy to hear of your progress!! Way to go! Awesome! Yahoo and Yippee!!

And now that we are all in such a great mood- gotta ask a burning question (since I first joined almost 6 weeks ago) - are you @CricketHip because that's the sound your hip made pre-op?

Wishing you a fabulous weekend and some lovely brisk and pain free walks!
 
I chose my name based on how crickets walked or rather circled, when they had a broken leg or even worse, a missing leg. :chuckmarch:
Up until recently I've always lived in a rural area and crickets were everywhere, maybe some of you haven't seen a cricket in that condition..well, that's how I felt with my lousy first hip experience.

I do enjoy my name though. :heehee: @FayeL
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom