THR Yippee, that's the other one sorted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Anne, just catching up and can see we are very much at the same stage. Im walking the "woodentop" way outdoors too. Nobody ie PT mentioned it to me, but as I got a bit better it felt like the right way to go

I am going to invest in some of those trekking poles, so that in a few months when I can go out for lovely long walks, I will use them as they are supposed to be good for upper body workout too:wink2:

Have a good weekend

Tanny x
 
Buy them, buy them, been using them pre op and post op. Besides upper body improvement, they're great for your back, hips and knees. But learn the proper technique. You'll double your distance and get soooo strong:thumb:
 
It's good to be back after a week offline! I've often fancied those Nordic poles and will definitely look into getting some Renate- will also need to look for someone to instruct me in their use. We could try them at our salsa class Tanny! So, have been home alone for most of this past week as husband had promised to farm-sit for my sister and deserted me till yesterday!! I was surprised at how well I managed having felt weepy and pathetic as I waved him and his i-pad off last Sunday( boy did I miss that i-pad)!!! Got into quite a good little routine though pottering around and looking after the dog and 3 cats. I had FULL control of the Sky remote and didn't watch a single sports programme, hah!
Did manage to do a bit too much some days in my usual idiotic way and paid the price as you do. Have such a painful right upper arm, radiating down to my hand - worse than my hip at the moment. Felt totally inadequate when I read in the paper about some chap who was going skiing with his wrist in plaster and the guy next to him on the ski lift said that was a brave thing to do - the reply was " this is nothing, I had a hip replacement 6 weeks ago":cry4: Well the sun is shining so I feel a short walk coming on. Go Spotty Woodentop!!
 
Hiya Anne, I was just wondering how you're getting on?

Have you had your follow up consultation?

I'm hoping everthings getting a little easier including the nights

Tanny x
 
You're right Jo and I always was a rubbish skier anyway:snork:
Tanny, hi! Follow up on 19th, was yours yesterday I must check your post? Nights are better thanks - still on my back but only getting up twice past few nights,yay!
 
Well I had my follow up visit on Monday and the OS was very pleased with my progress. Told me I could play golf (amazing when I've only ever played pitch and putt in my life!) horse ride, swim,drive etc. Also told me to not use any support going round the house and to try and do without when walking outside. Since trying that I've been in so much pain I feel like I'm going backwards not progressing and I don't feel that I'm weight bearing as well as I was prior to this:cry: I have awful pain at the top of my leg and my skin feels like it's been rubbed down with sandpaper although it looks normal.
Don't know if all this is from overdoing things as I'm trying to walk over a mile each day plus usual house chores, ironing,etc( but still not hoovering). He also said I could go back to work but no way do I feel ready for that so as my GP has signed me off till 17 Oct which will be 12 weeks since my op then that's what I'll stick to.
Sorry to moan but I do feel low in spirits at the moment:cry4:
 
Sounds like you are doing too much. Your body is telling you to slow down and take things a bit easier!

Have you just started weight bearing Anne? If so no wonder your body is complaining. You have to start slow and build up.

I don't agree with stopping using support to walk. When you start leaving the walking aide behind - that's the time to try walking unaided. Use a cane or crutch until you feel confident. You don't want to get into the habit of limping again.
 
Oh Anne! I do know how you feel. Ive just posted a very similar post, and I too have been signed off work until 18th October. So I know how you feel about the sense of relief.

I soo seem to be going backwards, and now on reflection and reading your post, I think the problem is we are doing to much. In our rush to be "normal" functioning people, parents, partners etc.

I am going to make a real effort to chill out. Driving is def causing me a problem.

What is the pain you have Anne? you say its in the top of your leg, is at the front like mine?

feet up hun

Tan x
 
I had an extremely sensitive incision area for several weeks - It was so sore that I couldn't bear even fabric from my clothes touching it. It did feel a bit like it had been rubbed with sandpaper.....I was advised to massage it to desensitise it, that really freaked me out! I bought one of those little 'nodule' type massager things from body shop and used that over my clothes - it hurt at first but did help to make it less sensitive - maybe that kind of thing would help?
 
Jaycey, I have been weight bearing since day 2 and only using 1 crutch for a couple of weeks now. I have been going without round the house quite often and thought I was doing ok. It's really only since Monday that things have got so sore. I did my first short drives and slept on my side for the first time. I've also been trying to put socks on by reaching down. Also the OS tweaked my leg which hurt rather. All in all I'm thinking it's those things that have caused the pain. I did a couple of hours ironing yesterday but I've managed that before ok.
Tanny I think you're right. We're rushing things because we feel we need to and I didn't feel comfortable driving so I might give that a miss for a few more days. As I've never been offered physio and when I asked the OS about it he said it wasn't necessary just keep walking, I've no idea what to do to ease things along. My leg hurts at the front top as yours does and inside down the side if that makes sense.
Gosh I have rambled on, sorry!
 
It sounds like your nerve endings are starting to regenerate (sensitive area) around your incision. I find that the weird sensation lessens if I massage the area.

I think it is normal to have some ups and downs during recovery....I sure am. Glad to see that you have a nice group of friends who are rallying you on.

I totally disagree with your OS (?) about physical therapy. I hope you are doing exercises twice a day at home. There are quite a few web sites showing great exercises. I think the pain you are feeling is your weak muscles..at least that is what my therapist says when I have the same complaint. Do continue to use your cane so that you aren't limping.
I am 9 weeks out, but have only been walking for just under 3 weeks. I'm still using a cane at home and a wheeled walker out shopping. I won't need to go back to work until November, but I am hoping to have a fairly normal stride by then. Driving isn't a problem since the surgery was to my left hip.

Keep up the good cheer! It sounds like you are healing very well.

Nan Right THR 19Jul11 Virginia, USA
 
Thanks Nan, I do feel we're all very lucky to have such good support here on BonelSmart. The only exercises I have been doing are the ones recommended on this site. My surgeon is adamant that they aren't necessary and I must confess to having been very surprised when I found that the hospital didn't give them out. I will definitely stick to using my cane though till I am certain I don't need it aa I don't want another week like this one!
Glad to hear you're doing well too.
All the best
Anne
 
Whoa! Don't ditch everything all at once just because your surgeon has said so! You need to reduce your usage slowly and only as and when you feel able. Mostly the point is when you find yourself forgetting the cane and having to go back for it! Then you'll know you are ready to ditch it.

And take those pain meds! Doesn't matter how long it is - if you're hurting, take them!
 
I reckon I put myself back quite a bit by trying to get socks on - because you have to go beyond 90 degrees. How I managed in the end was to wear baggy hiking socks which I could kind of slide my toes into and then hitch up using the long handled shoe horn. It was easier to go without socks in July and August but def. need them now in these autumn days!
I think the trekking poles are brilliant. Would recommend Pacerpoles which are a bit more expensive than the regular ones but much easier to use and eventually when we're strong enough again, give you excellent upper body work while walking. You can get them online.
Take it easy though:grouphug2:
 
Many thanks for useful advice folks. I'm definitely not going to ditch the walking aids Jo now you 've said that and although I had reduced my pain meds to 3 times per day I will happily go back to 4 if I need to. Why do they tell you these things if you're not ready? I will listen to my body from now on! I do normally use my sock aid thingy Viv but thought I'd push myself a bit. Fool!
 
Anne, it's not foolish to push yourself a bit! You need to push a bit to progress.

It's all about feedback though, isn't it? You (One) can drop the meds back to three times per day but if it hurts, move it back to four. It's not a backward step, it's feedback.

I do wish I could listen to the advice myself though :biggrin:
 
:th_heehee: Don't we ALL wish that, Cappy!!! Me included during my recovery!
 
Thanks Cappy. Glad to see you're doing so well after your second op. I don't know how you've managed to keep up with your jabs for so long- I only had them for 4 weeks and couldn't face the last 4 days worth! I still reckon it's the Irn Bru!
Best wishes
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom