THR YAHOO! I made it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for the advice Cricket. This will be my first with Massage Envy (finally using my Christmas gift card). I did tell them when I made the appt that I am recovering from hip op and need to have someone who is aware of the precautions. So we shall see. But I will make sure none of the precautions are broken. I'm only taking Motrin now (well I did take 1/2 of a Percocet last night to stave off any effects from bowling). I already planned on starting off easy and working up to more....I will definitely play it by ear, so to speak. Thanks again for the words of wisdom @CricketHip.
And, I totally agree with you...poor Harold!!!!
 
Thank you so much @Hipster Girl. It did feel amazing and now can't wait to get out there again..now that I know I can, without any after effects.
 
Home from PT and as I was leaving Sally said to me "happy bowling"! I fessed up to her when I arrived and she gave me one of those looks! But, when I told her that I woke up this morning with no knee or thigh pain, she agreed that maybe, just maybe, my little bowling outing helped. So, she added lunges to my workout and when I showed her I could do the lunges on my op side, she was a little impressed. So, bottom line, I think she gave me the go ahead to continue (very subtlely), cautiously of course, with bowling. YIPPEE!!
And @Cynthia777 .... I think you and I both need to go shopping for new drawers! Lol
:giggle:
 
I actually find it simply amazing that you are able to bowl already! I'm stunned! I mean, I would think the hips would take quite a beating bowling. You are something! I'm so happy for you Nana!
 
Yes, @Nana757 , whenever I go bowling I forget that the lane is greased past the line where you are supposed to roll the ball, someone in my group, including me, always wipes out by stepping over that line. So be careful-sounds like you are skilled so this probably has never happened to you, but take extra precautions!
 
@Cynthia777 and @LaylaHips, believe me...I am being extremely careful...which is why I bowled so crappy yesterday. And, I don't come close to the foul line...never have..even when I was a good bowler. With that said, though, I will be doing a whole lot more practicing before I bowl on the league. Need to get more comfortable and confident with what I'm doing.
But thank you, Layla, for your concern and, Cynthia, for your support, as always! :ok:
 
Hi everyone! I hope you all are having a wonderful, pain free day and smooth recovery! I'm here to say there is light at the end of the tunnel and that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! I am barely 9 weeks post-op and I am doing 90% of what I did before my hip started acting up. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, driving, exercising and bowling. The one thing (actually 2 things) that would make me feel 100% would be getting back to golf and hearing my OS tell me I am doing great. But for the 2nd of those I will have to wait until the end of November. By the end of this month, I will ease back into the world of golf again, when my restrictions are lifted. I graduated from physical therapy yesterday and was set free....yahoo! I still do my home exercises...most of the ones I did at PT. The only ones I won't be able to do, without joining a gym, are the treadmill, leg presses and the exercises that need one of those big exercise balls.
Now, don't get me wrong. I still have aches and pains and my thigh muscle and just below my knee are still an issue. But I have learned through trial and error how to get around them. Taping and wrapping does the trick and when they get really achy, ice and Motrin helps tremendously. Sally did let me know that eventually these problem areas will go away with continued activity, but it may be months down the road. I can deal with that! She also told me,when I let her know that when I wrapped my knee with tape the pain went away, that I was a bit of a genious for figuring that out. I don't think so...but I am a huge improviser. I still cannot wait for the day when I am so at ease with myself and my body that I can JUMP out of bed and walk fluidly, instead of stiffly (but, with that said, I do have to remember I am 68). I am still rather tense and haven't quite learned the art of how to relax my muscles and extremities. But I have no doubt that will come, as well, with time.
I have to express my sincerest gratitude to all my BS buddies for being so supportive during this journey of mine. I was scared &@&@less at the thought of having this surgery and could not have gotten through it without all of your positive thoughts, prayers, advice and support. For that, I THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart!!!!!! My only wish is that each and every one of you have the same...no...better...recovery process than I had during my recovery. Best wishes and prayers to you all!!!! Have an absolutely marvelous day!!
Janice
 
What a fabulous report Janice! Your recovery ranks right up there with the best and I'm so happy for you!
Thought I'd share that my therapist said you can buy those exercise balls (in various sizes) at Walmart or Target for about $20. He said they aren't quite as sturdy as the ones they have, but will last about a year. I think the high quality balls run somewhere around $80 (I'm going to just replace my $20 ball when it wears out). Keep up the great recovery...you're quite amazing!
 
Wonderful report Nana, it is so uplifting to hear how well you have recovered. Great that you are back doing what you love, bowling. I think those are the things that keep us on the road to a great recovery. Keep up the great recovery and enjoy yourself, best wishes to you.
 
No real comment from me on anything, but I just wanted to say I loved catching up on your thread; both hilarious and uplifting all the way. Thank you


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
@Nana757 Hi Janice what a fantastic update and I agree with @Cynthia777 that it ranks up there with the best of them.It is hard to imagine that it is only 9 weeks since your surgery.I can't tell you how encouraged I am to read your report as I set out on this journey even though I am well aware that each recovery has its own agenda and timescale.I hope it is not too long before you get back on the golf course.Thanks for your support
 
Hey Nana!! this was a great summary of your wonderful recovery!! The only thing that concerns me is that it almost sounds like a goodbye speech... you do realize that you are beholden to be here indefinitely?? :rotfl:
No, seriously.. congratulations dear woman.. you kept a positive outlook and sense of humor throughout.
I plan on following you in your foot steps!
It looks like I am slow to comment, well, I upped my exercises today and once again fell asleep with my fingers on the keyboard.
I plan to go back and re read your full recovery thread.. you are a kind, witty and very helpful B.S. friend.. hugs to you!!:roseshwr:
 
@Nana757 , Congratulations on your wonderful recovery, I think you are doing more post-surgery than I did when I was young and healthy!! You are an inspiration, I've always wanted to golf with hubby but he's not interested, so maybe I will take it up myself! Have a great weekend!
 
So happy to read your post. I want to check LIKE, AGREE, INFORMATIVE, FRIENDLY. You have been so supportive and wonderful and I also hope that wasn't a farewell speech! In the next 30 days I can start working up to a full golf swing - already been chipping and putting and it felt fine. No more walking backwards up the hill to the teebox for me! :egypdance: You will get there, but in the meantime you can bowl, carefully! Very happy for you :happydance:
 
Hi @Nana757
You are quite remarkable! You have achieved so much and I have loved your posts. I was going to ask you what you wrap and tape with, but then thought No, no use to me I would have to wrap and tape my whole body!! I keep going forwards and backwards but will get there in the end.

It is amazing what a hip replacement can do! In Victorian times we would probably all be in a rickety wheelchair/sedan chair or if we were poor in a workhouse labelled as a "cripple" . Lots of reasons to be grateful!
 
No,no,no....that was most definitely NOT a goodbye post. I am so invested in this site and all of you, I could never say goodbye. In fact, there have been times, I must admit, that I have been so concerned about your pre and post op trials and tribulations, I have actually had difficulty sleeping, worrying about some of you. I just probably won't be posting as much on my own thread, unless something major happens. But I will absolutely continue to follow all of you and your recovery. You have become dear friends and part of my family. You're not getting rid of me! Won't let that happen.
Since I never did have what golfers would call a full swing, @pamac, I would think that won't be an issue for me. But I am going to ease into it anyway...just to err on the side of caution. Been thinking I'm ready to give putting and maybe chipping a try. Don't use much hip motion in either of those. And @LaylaHips, you're just gonna have to find someone else to golf with. There are plenty of courses where they have ladies out there having fun, without the guys. And I didn't start golfing until 2 years ago...so it's never too late. @Kim22 ... You are so right...everyone is different and has their own recovery timetable. But, the result, no matter how long it takes, is still the same...having your life and mobility back. And that is the most important thing, to all of us. @copsham .. Yes, there are times when I do feel like a mummy, with all the wrapping...but I don't care...no one sees it but my DH and me...and it works to get my knee and thigh muscle to cooperate with the rest of my body. I can remember watching some old...old...movies, where "cripples" were sent to dungeons...isn't modern medicine the bomb?!?! @Plum Perfect and @CricketHip, you are both doing so extremely well in this early stages of your recoveries. I can see it wont be long for either of you before you are leaping small buildings in a single bound! @AndyH99 .... You have always been there with your little quips, which always made me laugh, and your words of wisdom. Thank you. And, @Cynthia777 ... What can I say about you? You are most definitely a piece of work! I just can't figure out if you are fine art or a comedic genius. I think I'll go with both...not to mention, my biggest supporter!! Okay, another novel for the books...."the end"... For now, anyway! Have a wonderful day everyone!
 
@Nana757, what wonderful updates to your thread! :) I am so happy that you're bowling again. My husband is an avid bowler and I know that when anything gets in the way of that, it really takes the air out of his tires.
Reading about your journey and all you've accomplished in these past 9 weeks is amazing and gives me such hope. You're obviously a very strong lady and are an amazing cheerleader for others on this path.
You've given me such great advice and support. I'm eternally grateful to you.
I can't wait to hear about your next adventure and just know that you'll be back golfing again in no time! :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom