THR Xtina16405 recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations @xtina16405 - my hippie partner with the same surgical date - on your amazing progress. So many changes. You will love seeing your new bionic hip. Remember to snap a photo with your cell phone - I forgot to do that, but wish i did.

Keep up your great progress! I am about to post my 4 week status report - big news for me, stay tuned!
 
@xtina16405

Wow you are doing spectacular! See I told you the time would go quickly once you got past the first two weeks. I will try to post to my own thread with my latest updates but I wanted to check in on my fellow hips first!

It will only get better...just remember to do everything slowly ......turning, stepping etc. as you quad and gluts get stronger, you will be able to move faster...Remember, it's all about the gait, bout the gait....

Cheryl
 
The doctor visit went great. I didn't sleep well last night. My mind was racing. I wrote it all down. I had some nice tea. It was one of those sleep an hour wake up. Sleep an hour wake up. Sleep an hour wake up.....:tiredwheel:.

So the doctor visit. He is very happy with my progress. I forgot to take a photo of the X-ray. It was so cool to see my new bionic part. I will definitely snap a shot in 2 months. A MUST.

My driving restriction was lifted. So I got in car and drove a block. Um.....:groan:. It HURT! I need a driver for a while. The Dr said he normally waits 6 weeks. I think I will go with it. Only 2 weeks. Unless I just go to the market. 3/4 mile drive easy. I can swim in 2 more weeks. No yoga. He said I can have a massage.

Cane is good for distance. He said I can start walking without cane in house. He said my gait looked really good. He is going to have me continue Physical Therapy. He says that I probably only need 2-3 sessions. He just wants to make sure my hip lasts and he has done everything to help me. My goal is 25-30 years or longer.

All in all the visit was great. I was so happy when I left.

Oh for all those who are experiencing pain.....I did ask about my aches and pains. I have pain around my upper pelvic area both in front and back. He said it was normal. I asked about my IT band being sore. He said it was normal. I asked about the pain in my outer knee to mid knee of op leg. He said it was normal. He said the way they twist and move our leg and the muscles is not normal. So all the pain I have is normal for being beat up by him. He said it will go away. Just continue to ice rest and elevate. :ice: So we are normal .... I guess. :rotfl:

I hope everyone is having a great day. It is heating up in California. The winds are coming and that makes for 90 degree weather in fall. Smile and make the best of today.
 
Oh fabulous @xtina16405 , so glad your visit went well.
Wow, you could be listing MY aches and pains, so nice to know it's "normal":heehee: and that it will go away!
My Physio just left, she was lovely, and she basically said what your OS said, gait is good, only have to use the cane if I'm tired etc, the leg's doing fine considering what it's been through, if I want it to ache less... do less - or medicate more. I didn't even give her a full list of my daily activities and she started shaking her head, guess I've been overdoing it:no-fin: She added some stretches for my quads, and I had some acupuncture which I was skeptical about but have found really helpful. Massage is good too, even with a rolling pin like hubby did for me yesterday:rofsign: though she used her knuckles and it really got into those little niggly crevices.
I'll try and remember to take a pic of my bionic hip at my OS appointment next week, though the radiologist did say that if I take a memory stick or CD in they'll download all my films for me... that would be good to see the progression; all I have to do is remember to take the stick:loll:
It's cooler here in Western Australia today, 21 Celcius or about 70F - that's a good few degrees cooler than average for November, though spring has the most variable weather for us - it'll be hot hot hot soon enough so I'm not complaining:cool:
'avagoodone as we say
 
Today is 5 weeks since surgery date. :egypdance:This last week was pretty normal as far as recovery goes. I am walking about 0.6 miles each walk. I walk 2-3 times a day. :walking:I am amazed at how much stronger my abducter muscles are. My focus is my gait. I still use the cane outside the house. In the house, I am pretty much cane-less. I will use the cane when I get tired towards the last two hours of evening. I am really focused on not limping.

Now life is not perfect at all. I have aches and pains. All muscular. I was taken the oxycodon/Tylenol in the evening only. After reading @craftdee thread about overdoing it and pain meds. I went back to taking it twice a day 12 hours a part. What a difference it made! My muscles are sore and each day it is something different. My IT band was sore from hip to outside of knee. I just massaged it. My hamstrings have been sore. My quad and inner thigh. Each day was a new adventure. The one that has stuck is my gluteus Maximus. My bum muscle is sore all the time. Just part of the recovery and I know it is all good. As my surgeon told me, I moved you bones and muscles in ways they should not go. It is normal to be sore. I will take this sore over the daily bone on bone any day. I know this will be healing and going away.:angel:

All my best to my BS friends.

I may update tomorrow. I have my first outpatient PT appointment. :flabber:
 
Not sure if I have provided you with this link @xtina16405...

Slow and steady and remembering that recovery from a joint replacement can be a marathon and not a sprint gives one permission to recover in one's own timeframe :)

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition
 
Hi @xtina16405 so glad you got with the program re the pain meds:heehee: I can't believe someone actually stuck with my ramblings long enough to get something out of it:dubious:
I'm finding, like you, that it's a bit of a day by day adventure! I've got to say my bum was extra sore the other day, I've had that niggling "oh, there it is" feeling since the beginning but this was way more tender... then I remembered I'd been on my old foe the stationary bike, the one with the chiseled rock for a saddle (well, that's what if feels like) and remembered why I love to hate it:censored: A sore bum is guaranteed after using it:rotfl: The first day's not even the worst, it's the second ... and by the third day you can hardly bring yourself to lower your backside on to it.... I've never got as far as day 4... it could be fine:shrug:
Probably a word to the wise if you get to use a bike too;, the current advice is to have no tension or pedal backwards at first... the pedaling backwards worked a treat, but when I went forwards with no tension I felt it was getting away from me and overworking the muscles I'd just got sorted (especially that groin thing!!) so I put just a bit of tension on, not enough to really feel resistance but enough that the pedal didn't fly back up too easily and it felt really good - like I was stretching those quads and hamstrings, but not like I was asking them to do anything they weren't ready for.
I'm glad you feel like you are healing, I finally do too. I know most people say that the first two weeks are the hardest, and they certainly are the ones with the most adjustments to be made, but I felt weeks 3 and 4 were my hardest (possibly because I didn't fine 1 & 2 that bad) to some extent your support network has diminished, you've made most of the adjustments you've had to make and the reality of having to keep that up kicks in then, as well as the cumulative effects of poor sleep and moving a damaged body around. The last week or ten days have been so much better, feeling daily improvements, even with the odd curve ball thrown in... I just feel stronger, more able and exactly as you said I can't believe how much more I can abduct... I couldn't get on the hated stationary bike for most of the last two years - got no excuse now:rotfl: I can't wait for my restrictions to get lifted so I can test the rest of my range of movement.... hopefully it's improved that much too - and without that terrible bone on bone zap!
Let us know how your PT appointment went :upright:
 
@xtina16405 and @craftdee, sounds like you are both doing great! Good luck with the outpatient PT and Donna, great news about the weather and pool!

I am writing this at 3:30 am from the hospital - the knee is in and am battling pain and nausea - as in vomiting everything. Tomorrow the nerve block wears off and pain gets worse. Fun times! I am taking every med they give me!!! Anyway, thought I would pop in and say how happy I am for you both.

Virtual hugs,
Sharon


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It was a cool day today in Southern California. We need rain. No rain just cloudy.

Today I had my first outpatient PT appointment. It was a good appointment. :yahoo:The PT said my range of motion is very good. She massaged my legs. That felt so great. Amazing! I new I was very tight. She showed me some stretches to do. She said to continue to increase my walking :walking:and gave me a few exercises to strengthen my abducters. They are my weakest muscles and the one exercise that still hurts the most. She said I won't need many sessions. I don't go back until Dec. 7. It was so nice to have a massage. I think I will be incorporating a massage into my recovery plan. It was wonderful.

I leave tomorrow to go away for my birthday.:beer: My sister and I are traveling to San Jose (6 hour drive) to see Oprah Winfrey. My birthday is Saturday and we will be with Oprah Friday and Saturday. I am very excited. I got a great deal at a 4 star hotel. I am worried about overdoing it.:beg: I did rent a wheel chair for the weekend to transport me around so I don't over do the walking. I plan to stop every two hours on the drive to stretch and walk. Anyone who has driven long distance at 5 weeks please advise how long I should plan to stretch.:what: My car I can lay down most of the drive which is nice. I just want to make sure I am watching my recovery too.

I hope all my BS family is doing well.
 
Best feeling when your therapist gives you massage. Don't let them over kill you with exercise or over do anything. Learn from my mistake. I had couple of lump on my thigh because of lack of massage and overdoing. My new Pt dude is very informative. We're working on managing those lumps. San Jose has some nice spots also some **** places. I used to live there. But enjoy the bay area. The standard is one month of therapy. I suggest going to a gym and ride a bike. By thanksgiving you will be back to normal.
 
@xtina16405

Wow look at you go girl! Goin to see Oprah.....I am so jealous. You deserve it. Take your roller and heating pad with you as you will them after driving and walking. I still have a bit of a backache as my pelvis is still settling in to the new gait but it is all good,

Have a great time

Cheryl
 
Happy birthday @xtina16405! Enjoy Oprah!!! You are making such great progress. So happy for you.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you @CanukTriMom @LaxMom and @craftdee I had a fantastic weekend. We stopped about every two hours. My hip felt good. I was very surprised. We got there early on Friday and did O Town. This was like a convention with free give aways. Then went to hotel so I could lie down and rest hip. Then back to center for Oprah. Even Saturday I was good. They had breaks every 1.5 - 2 hours. Which allowed me to stand walk and stretch. We had 90 minutes for lunch. We parked in handicap right next to center. We ate lunch and then I lied down in car and rested. I think the rests allowed me to feel so good. My hamstrings are sore from the stairs. But overall I felt great and had an inspirational weekend. It was more than I expected. I feel great from the message and energy too. Tomorrow will be a total rest day. With walks. I think I will go to the park and walk. I hope all my BS friends had a great weekend.
 
I have just one word- JEALOUS!!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@LaxMom. You are doing great. I am amazed by your accomplishments. I will tell you I am still on a high from all the speakers. The show was amazing. More than what I even imagined.
 
So great you got to go. A perk of living in California, no doubt. As for me, I am just icing and elevating!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@xtina16405

So glad you had a great birthday and that you took the time to stretch throughout the day! How was your lower back? I find that I am still getting a stiff lower back when walking for longer than an hour. Still working on my gait and I know it will be perfect when I no longer have a stiff lower back!

Have a great day.

Cheryl
 
Week 6. I have felt great all week. This has been a blessing and a curse. I have been walking a mile without cane. I really focus on my gait. I want to start swimming, but my wound still has a few scabs. Doctor said no swiming until all the scabs are gone. So walking it is. I walk at least two times a day. So a total of 2 miles. I keep increasing slowly by one house a day. I have been feeling strong. Doing my PT exercises. All good.

So the curse. I overdid it yesterday. I have been feeling so great. I have some projects to complete around the house before I go back to work. One was my closet. Yesterday I emptied the closet and vacuumed the entire thing. I got rid of so many clothes and shoes. It felt so great. I was up and down from my knees. Well today I am suffering. I am exhausted. I ache. I took a pain med because I was so stiff when I got up I thought I was hit by a car. So today is a rest day.

It is amazing how easy we can overdo it when we feel great.

I hope all my BS friends have a great weekend.
 
@xtina6405, you may have earned you way into the over did it club, but look at you go! Two mile long walks a day! Woo hoo!!! So happy for you. What terrific progress you have made. Glad to hear you are doing so well.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom