THR Xtina16405 recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you found a way to watch your son play football.
I am sure he was happy, too.
Now get some extra rest.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I had a rough day yesterday as well @xtina16405 . Sometimes it's hard to settle and get comfortable after an activity day. Hope you are getting some much needed :sleep:!
 
@xtina16405, glad you got to see your son's game.I don't blame you for going. I would have done the same. You only get one chance to be there.I made sure I never missed a game when my son played and it was worth it.I thinkour relationship is better cause of that. Glad to hear you're doing well. Sorry you have been so tired though.hope it gets better soon. Hope you're have a great day.
Dan
 
@xtina16405, even though you are very tired and it's a feeling that's a little scary, you are doing really, really well. To be able to do as much as you are doing is a very good sign. Going to a football game so early on was amazing. Not sure if I could of dealt with the crowds and feeling so venerable. That's the feeling I had at the hospital for my one and two week check anyway, so you are feeling much stronger than I was.

I am at almost six weeks and I still get tired, and am still sore, and even still using walker. Hope that changes in a couple days though. I've had a series of headaches lately too. In my case I think it is the stress and worry that causes tension headaches, plus a huge part is not getting enough sleep, like you said. Sleeping on my back is taking me to the limits of my patience some nights, no wonder I wake up with a headache. Time is our friend that will smooth everything out. I'm sure glad we all have each other to keep us on track. I sure need it.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
No doubt about it - joint recovery is a marathon not a sprint.. A very good BS friend of mine told me that right at the start of my recovery - it still resonates with me.. However, it does improve, our bodies heal, we are able to resume to our activities. Celebrate the little milestones, they are the precious ones :)
 
Thank you all. I am definitely celebrating the small steps. I am really working on patience and taking
It slow. I am normally the opposite. I want this hip to heal correctly and last me 20-30 years. That would be awesome.

Today is Day 12. I have made great strides. Getting up from a chair is so much easier. Going to the bathroom is easier. Walking is easier. I still use a walker but I am 90% weight bearing and can move so much easier. I can make something to eat in the kitchen. I have more energy. Not a lot but more. The football game did wear me out but worth it. I had a tough day 11. I could not nap and by 8 pm was so exhausted. I slept very strange yesterday. In bed at 9 up at 1 and could not sleep. Up until around 4. Took pain med and slept until 10:30. Felt great.

Today I went to church with family. Tired after and came home had lunch and took a nap. Before I couldn't even think of walking in church. Sitting was difficult because the seats are a little low. But we made it work.

I am almost at week 2 and I am amazed how many great babysteps I have made. Slow and steady. This time I want to be the tortoise and do it right.
 
Well it is day 13 and I am not having the day I thought I would. Yesterday I did a little too much and today I am paying the price. So with the tired leg I have the blues. Wow. Double duty. My afternoon is starting to go in the right direction.

So let's start with the too much. Needed some food items for home. Mom went home Saturday. So my son and I decided to tackle market together. No scooter carts available so I decided I can do this. Yeah right. Too much walking and this morning I paid the price. 2:30 am PAIN. Took pain meds. 6:30 PAIN took pain meds and got up. Icing on cake . . . I slip while walking down stairs. My poor son about crapped his pants when he heard my scream. Oh pain and tears. So I have been taking pain meds religiously every 4 hours and icing and elevating. My right knee took most of the slip. But it scared me. All I could think was dislocation or fall and break the ceramic. SCARED!!!

So it is now 3:35 pdt and I feel good. I am going for a short walk later today. Not overdoing it but need to get outside and just take a small walk to make sure all is well. If I have pain I will be done. So far I feel good walking around house. Pain was 8 after slip happened. Now a 3. Much much better.

Needed to vent. Thank you bone smart. I am feeling better.
 
So now you know. You way overdid it. But it takes these little setbacks to get our attention and refocus us toward a slow and steady recovery. Pay attention to what your body tells you. Don't listen to your head. It's stupid. Doesn't totally understand what your body has suffered.

Kudos to you for figuring out the ballgame issue. Now be smart and creative as you INCH forward!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Be careful. Let's not hurt ourselves. First goal should be is getting all the exercises that PT showed you minimum 3 times a day. Gradually cut down on the heavy painkillers. The withdrawal is tough. Also, remember the pain is from incision and muscle soreness. I am serious try muscle milk. They help with recovery. Everyday making progress is the most important thing. Goal should be now be a cane
 
Wow! Hope you are ok. Slow down Girl! Hoping tomorrow is much, much better for you. Hang in there!!!

It sounds like you have a wonderful son. I know that you want to be all things to him and not let this worry or affect him - going through that myself, but he sounds like he can handle it. Lean on that wonderful boy a bit.
 
Just reading your post scared me! Hoping you are ok, falling is our worse nightmare, I know it is for me. We have to move so methodically and slow, but it's hard at times to always be so mindful I know. Let us know how you are feeling later.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
That first slip, trip, fall is what we all dread... however you handled it well - with care, meds, rest, ice etc.. :)
 
Thank you all.

Yes the slip scared me good. My leg was so tired from the day before and I was trying to be so careful. I am grateful for many of your threads when you all had bad days. I remember reading to take it easy. Ice rest elevate and I did just that today. By 2 pm today I felt good. I even took a short walk at 5 pm today. That felt good. I have learned from all of you that you can recover. So thank you. I am so appreciative of all your support.

My son is great. He came in today after practice to see how I was doing. I told him all I did and how great I was feeling. He was so happy. He was worried I really hurt myself.

For a day that started off rocky and emotional it turned out to be a great day. Relaxing and healing.
 
@xtina16405 , so glad you are OK after that slip! The first one is a scariest. Please don't worry about breaking that implant - it's very tough! I had 2 falls in my first 6 weeks. You may be a bit sore as the sudden impact is rough on a recovering body. Just do what you are doing - icing and meds. Great stuff!

The emotional roller coaster is one of the toughest parts of this recovery for me. I had one of those weepy days yesterday - everything set me off! Just remember it's all part of the process - this too shall pass!

You are doing great!
 
@xtina16405

Holy cow girl! Glad to hear you are doing better after your slip. Remember even if you just walk twenty feet down the street, that is fine. Don't push yourself which is what we tend to do when we feel good. I follow the articles posted on progression and healing as it keeps me in check.

Cheryl
 
It is easy to push 'just that little bit harder, go that little bit further...' We don't know where our recovery boundary is until we try.. You have a great attitude and you will get there..
 
Today is 2 weeks. I can't believe it. I have come so far. I remember just getting out of bed and walking the first few steps on 10/7. I never thought I would be where I am today.

I love that there is no bone on bone pain. I can get out of bed easier. Up from a chair easier. I can sit longer. Sleeping on my back (even though I don't like it) is easier and I am not so sore when I wake up. Today I am taking pain meds every 6 hours and pain is under control. It is amazing how far I have come.

PT came today. We graduated to cane. For a few days, I am only allowed to use the cane when someone else is in the house. I feel so strong. I walked a total of 4 blocks today and felt good. I really like my PT person she doesn't make me do any crazy exercises. She is a proponent of just walking. I walked twice today and will walk one more time today.

I am so grateful for all the cheers and advice I get from this forum. I am truly blessed to have found all of you. It is awesome to know we are all one team and that even though we heal differently we all have many of the same issues and learn from each other. Thank you so much.
 
I, like you, @xtina16405 can't believe how far I've come... and am amazed that - while not enjoyable - sleeping on my back has become easier and that everything just feels easier every day! I also am grateful for Bonesmart, it really has been a lifeline
Here's to us both continuing with a great recovery:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom