THR Xtina16405 recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday was Day 4. It started great. I slept the best I have. I went to bed at 10:30 and woke at 2:30. Bathroom and pain meds. My body was so sore from laying on my back. I was sore on my bum, back of shoulder blades and neck. I knew I could not lay down. I sat in the chair and iced. While sitting there, I have a recliner in my couch. So I got up and piled all the pillows on on side. With the grabber I was able to place pillows under bums. Then between my legs so I could get off incision area (I had posterior procedure and have a 10 inch wound). I used pillows to get comfortable in the recliner. I slept from 3 to 7:30 am straight. No discomfort. Amazing. I felt so great when I woke up.

My mom and I had breakfast and started a jigsaw puzzle. I was up until 11. Took pain meds a little early because I was tired. Slept until 1. Woke up had some lunch did some crosswords read watched some tv. Fell asleep again from 3:30 to 4:45. Then my life changed.

I became an unhappy person. I cried easily. I was in pain. I was miserable. My quad and hamstrings hurt. Very achy. I was miserable. Moody. Nothing made me happy. I didn't do too much at least I don't think I did. I was miserable.

I felt slightly better after dinner. My leg muscles were killing me. I could not get comfortable. I tried to keep to myself because I would just snap at my poor loved ones. Plus I feel gross. I want a shower. Tuesday I can shower. Used dry shampoo but wants hair washed so badly. My sister will be here today to help with that.

I have been taking pain meds every 4 hours. I have been icing regularly. I was just an unhappy person in pain.

I fell asleep for evening around 10 pm. Woke up at 2:30 feeling better. Moved from bed to recliner again. Slept from 2:30 to 6:30 in recliner and not sore this morning. I feel good.

I seem to feel great in morning and am miserable in the evening. I hope I can turn the tide tonight.
 
@xtina16405

Yes it will pass....post op blues..we have all been there and it isn't fun but let it out of your system. Hope today is a better day for you.

Br the way, I am very impressed you can do jigsaw puzzles while on serious meds!

Cheryl
 
I had much the same...felt good in the mornings & slowly deteriorated throughout the day....felt very sorry for myself do etimes but this wears off too. Glad you got some good sleep in...hope you continue to do so xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congratulations!!!! You will do great. Relax, elevate and ice the thigh. I finally figured out taking 1000 mg of tylenol does the job. I have basically no pain. Only problem I have is my legs get ice cold and then it becomes super hot. I can't climb over my bathtub, so sponge bath is my only option. If that helps.
 
Hi @xtina16405,

This report sounds really good even if it had a rough ending. I find myself crashing around 4 pm and need to go nap. I am also impressed by the puzzle. My brain is my weakest muscle at the moment! Sounds like you are mixing up activities and and being up and in bed. That is great! And, I am also experiencing those muscle cramps in my quads and gluts. I call them my butt cramps!

Looking forward to your next progress report!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sunday was Day 5. Wow. I can't believe it. Yesterday was a good day. I slept well that evening. 4 hours first then pain meds and restroom break. Then 4 hours and time to wake up. I was thinking about the changes since the beginning of this recovery journey. It is easier to get up from chairs and beds. I have the 90 degree rule. I can remember hating getting out of bed. Mornings are still rough to arise but the energy it takes is less. Walking with the walker has become much easier. I began at about 20% weight bearing and now I am 50% or more. Moving around in the bathroom or kitchen is easier. I am amazed that just simple activities such as sitting for a while are not draining me. Yesterday my sister came over to visit. She washed my hair in the kitchen sink. :happydance:I will hopefully be released to shower when the PT gets here today. It felt awesome just to have clean hair. Amazing how good I felt. We visited. She helped my mom with laundry. I wanted to participate so I was able to help fold. Now washing hair and folding clothes tired me out. So I made sure I rested. :sleeep: Yesterday was a really nice day. My only issue was the insomnia bug hit. I had a tough time falling asleep last night. My mind was racing. I read watched tv and even read some blogs here. Thank you all for your help. I truly appreciate it.

It is Day 6 today. PT comes today. I hope she releases me to use stairs. I am ready to move to my bed.
 
well done! I love that you compared to how it first was. Nice to track progress! I had insomnia last night too. Here's hoping we sleep well tonight. Take care.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yesterday was Day 6. It was a good day!

PT came. My wound looks good and I am so excited to shower on Thursday. :yes!:

She taught me to walk the stairs. It was nice to see my upstairs. It has been one week. Not much change, but I missed being up there. It was so nice to lay down in my bed. I forgot how comfortable it is. We went over how to get in and out of the bed. I can tell you. Last night was the best sleep I have had. I went to bed at 10. Woke at 2 pain meds water restroom. Read for about 20 min. Fell back to sleep and slept until 8:30. Amazing how your own bed helps you sleep. I even slept on my non-surgical side. Nice break for my back and bums.

She taught me more exercises. My quad was so incredibly sore after she left. I was exhausted. Rest rest and more rest yesterday. Plus I was miserable after the exercises.

My right leg has been cramping a lot lately. It is painful. My PT said it was normal because the muscles are healing. I have to get up and walk when it starts. It is not a fun feeling. But I am learning to help it. I have been icing. Any other help for the cramping is welcome.

Today is Day 7. It is early but the restful sleep has started off the day great.
 
Drink plenty of water to help with those muscle cramps. Also, try to eat a banana every day or so which will also help with the potassium. Glad you're sleeping well now. That rest is huge in a successful recovery. Keep icing!
 
It is Day 8. Yesterday was a rough day for me. I was tired all day long and just felt blah. I just rested all day. I don't know if PT on Monday wore me out or why i felt so blah. I slept great that night. 10-2 then 2:30-8 and first sleep in my bed. I think it may have been the new use of stairs.

Today i feel better. I did tweak my hip last night. I woke up to use the restroom and wasn't thinking. I started waking without my walker. Big big mistake. I don't recommend it. My hip ached the rest of the evening and sleep was awful after that.

Now my dilemma. My son is a junior in high school and plays varsity football. There is a game Friday.
 
Oops accidentally hit send. He has a game Friday. I really want to go. I can be dropped off at visitor gate and then it is about a 50 yard walk to bleachers. I am worried that it may be too long a walk for 10 days post op. I know I will be tired and plan to rest all day before and all day Saturday. I am afraid it will be too much. I really value the opinions of all who have been through this. You have helped me so much already. I appreciate an insight. Thank you.

Kristina
 
Hey,

I believe I had my surgery one day prior to yours. My opinion would be skip the football game. It's may be tough. Plus HS benches aren't greatest. I wouldn't do it. I graduated to a cane monday and have been walking outside about a half a mile each day. Sometimes my hips gets tired all I want to do is seat. Don't push yourself unless you feel confident.
 
@xtina16405 I definitely would skip the football game. Sitting on bleachers on a good day is difficult. I had my surgery on 8/25 and I struggle to sit on a comfy chair for extended periods of time . I am sure your son will understand. I was a football Mom too and I know how much you want to be there but please wait until you are healed.
 
Hello all day 9 was a good day. I allowed myself to just be and rest. When I would wake up, I would do 5 laps around the house. Just walking. I didn't over do it. It just felt good to walk for a while. Then I would ice rest elevate. I took 2-3 naps yesterday. I felt pretty good all day. The only issue was constipation. Wow it hit me. I have been so good. So now a little prune juice daily to make sure that little monster stays away. I slept great last night too. The most I sleep at any one time is 4 hours. It works perfect because I don't miss a pain pill and I have been keeping the pain under control. Oh and I got to take my first shower. HEAVEN. I was exhausted after the shower. It is amazing how much energy it takes up. But to have a clean body and clean hair is worth it.

PT just left this morning. We took a walk outside. It felt so awesome. I walked about 3/4 of a block and turned around. It was nice to walk outside. My mom and I are going to walk tonight again.

I felt really good after PT left not exhausted. Icing now. Than will have some lunch.

Thank you all for your support. This site has been a Gift

I shared it with my PT she is going to pass the information to her patients.

Thank you bone smart!
 
@xtina16405 dried prunes and apricots work wonders for the constipation.

Being tired after just routine activity is part of this recovery (unfortunately). Don't worry - it does get better! On days when you have PT - don't plan too much more.

So glad you are seeing the benefits of being here!
 
Day 10 was a good day. I slept great the night before. 5 hours straight pain pill. 4.5 hours straight and up for day. First time I didn't have a headache when I woke up. Prune juice shot and dried apricots helped the day too. So I decided if I got a wheelchair I could go to football game. So we rented the wheelchair and went out to lunch. It was so nice to be out of the house after 10 days. After lunch, I came home and took a nice nap. We left for game at 5:30 to make sure we had plenty of time and less of a crowd. I sat in wheel chair and would get up every 30 minutes or less. I would stand or take a short walk to make sure I didn't get stiff. I was done with 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter but hung in there to tell my boy I love him. He was sure happy I was there. It will be worth whatever price I pay tomorrow just to see that smile on his face.:loveshwr: Tomorrow will be a day of rest and naps with 2 walks outside.:chillpill: Day 10 was a great day. I felt good all day. :flwrysmile:
 
Oh, Kristina! I am so happy for you!!! I would have gone to the football game as well and so glad you found a solution. What a wonderful story. So glad you shared!

My son is a senior and I would not want to miss his lacrosse games. Glad it all worked out. Woo hoo!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well done @xtina16405 ! So glad you could see the game and you should be very proud about pacing yourself and getting up throughout the event. Yes, getting out is a bit of a struggle at first. But with a little planning and "help from your friends" you can do it! Enjoy your rest day!
 
Day 11. I was tired from yesterday's outing. I had a tough time resting. My mom went home today. I think that may have caused some of my issues. She did an awesome job helping me out. I am going to miss having her here.

I did my morning walk. Took a nap. I showered today. But I am feeling exhausted right now. I had a tough time napping this afternoon. Tough time getting comfortable. And I have a huge headache. I just need some sleep and I know that will help me so much.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom