THR Xtina16405 recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @xtina16405. Great progress with the cane and walks. Great news!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Look at you!! You're doing great!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Today was a good day. I am 17 days post op. I had my last PT at home today. I am really going to miss my PT lady. She was very good. She believed in walking as your #1 exercise and all the others as you progress. I can use the cane at home. She wants me to use the walker when out of house. So I am majority cane. I want to make sure my gait is good before I move to the cane all the time. Which is what she suggested. I am walking .4 miles with the walker. Each day I increase it. I use our houses in the neighborhood. Each day I increase my distance by 1/2 a house.

I am taking pain meds every 8 hours. Trying to wean off. I am good for 8 hours and then pain creeps up. But I was at 5 hours not too long ago. I am surprised how much better I feel.

My 85 year old aunt came for a visit. It is funny when she moves faster than you. We had a very nice day with a late lunch and then she joined me at my sons football game. I enjoy spending time with her. She was surprised that I am doing well. She really wanted to help me. She was my door holder. It was very nice.

Tomorrow will be a rest day. Much needed. At the game, I was worn out by the end. I came home and iced. I know I need a good all day rest day. I am grateful for the day I had and the special time with my aunt.
 
Good morning. It is early here in So Cal. Today is supposed to be a gorgeous fall day. It should be sunny and about 75 degrees. Perfect weather. I am looking forward to my walks today.

I have a question. My upper back is super tight from sleeping standing sitting and walking. I have a foam roller I normalky use to relax it. I need to lie down on the floor. How do I do this without breaking my 90 degree precaution and how do I get up from the floor? Any help with this would be great.

Thank you so much. I hope everyone is having a fantastic Sunday.
 
@xtina16405, I do not have restrictions and may not be the best to give advice but I have also started to want to be on the floor to exercise and can tell you what I do. If you sit on a chair with lots of floor space below, you can use your arms to lower you down while you keep your operated leg at the angle you need and use your arms and good leg to lower. If it is to far down, try putting a pillow or stool below the chair so you can ease yourself to an intermediate level and then to the floor. Getting back up is the same. Scoot into position with your arms and good leg and the use your arms and good leg to raise yourself while monitoring your operated leg angle. Hope that helps. I learned this technique from PT when I broke my ankle and the same principles seem to apply now providing you keep your 90 degrees while you do it. Good luck!
 
@CanukTriMom. I am going to give that a try. Thanks.

Today is officially day 21. I am using the cane majority of the time. I use the walker when I go on errands. Today I did my walk with the cane.

Now I have some new aches and pains. I have weaned to pain meds about every 8-10 hours with Tylenol on between. My new ache is my lower right back by the pelvis. It is very sore and I ice it. The other pain is my right knee on the outside. I hope I am not doing anything to cause these pains or if it is just part of the healing process.

Other than the pains. I am happy with the progress. Thank you for all your advice and encouragement. Truly happy I have bonesmart friends.
 
@xtina16405

Just checking in to see how you made out withe the foam roller on the bed idea. Remember, the aches and pains are all muscle related nothing to do with the new hardware. You are doing exactly what you need to do...rest, elevate, ice. If you need to do that all afternoon so be it! I didn't have the energy to move more than I had to right up until week 5. The process is full of mini plateaus but I looked at those as enforced rest periods.

Take care, keep drinking water for hydration.

Cheryl
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@xtina16405, such a merry go round with this recovery! Just when we think the pain is better, we wake the next morning with it back. Or a new one, or more swelling than before! I know it is hard for my hubby to figure out why I say I feel better one day, then the next I'm frowning again. It would be hard unless you are us and going through it yourself. He just wants me better so bad and I think it disappoints him as much as me. So it really is important we can commiserate here with others just like ourselves. If I hadn't found friends just like myself here, I would be thinking I am loony and not at all normal...lol.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CanukTriMom the roller on bed helped. Today I was going to try against the wall for a harder surface. The bed helped and broke up the tension. Thank you.

@rhondak thank you. The roller coaster is a fun ride. NOT! The ups and downs are crazy.

This morning is day 24. I am trying to wean off the pain meds and take Tylenol. Well this morning I woke up with incredible pain. The mornings are the worst. I have now begun rolling on my non-op side on my own in my sleep. Thank God for the body pillow I keep between my legs. But the pain was awful this morning. I am lying in bed waiting for the med to take effect. Just walking to bathroom was tough this morning

Good news is I am walking a little further each day. I still love ice especially around my incision area. I can tell each day I am stronger. But as @rhondak says it is a roller coaster ride for sure. Patience patience patience. This new hardware is mine to keep and I want it to last 25-30 years. So babysteps.

I hope everyone has a great day. HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!
 
@xtina16405 I just finished catching up on your thread. It sounds like you are doing well and encountering many experiences the many of us have had. I hope you have been able to find many helpful answers. You had a couple tense moments, but your body lets you know when we push too far. As mentioned, just be careful and patient along the way. On yeah, those exercises, water and ice too! Keep up your diligence and hard work!
 
@xtina16405

Sounds like you are rocking girl! Just think this week will be one month since your surgery...it will just get better and better as the weeks go by

One foot in front of the other both literally and figuratively.

Cheryl
 
Thanks @CanukTriMom. I tried the roller on wall. Can you say big fail? Bed is the way to go right now. Thanks for the encouragement. Working my way to be like you. You have been an inspiration.
 
Well I haven't had a lot to report. Today is Day 28. It is hard to believe that 4 weeks ago I was in the hospital with my IV and catheter. So happy to report that I am doing well. I have had some post op blues. I did have a nightmare 2 days ago that I was hating my hip and was in so much pain I was thrashing around in my dream. I woke up to minimal pain just the normal morning stiffness and bed in order. The dream was quite vivid and scared me. Tomorrow I see the OS. I am sure I will get to see my new bionic part on X-ray. We will see how far I have come. I am up to Tylenol only. And today I walked my entire cul de sac which is 0.45 miles. I did it twice. Once in morning and again this evening. I am happy with my progress but I know it is all baby steps and have to watch overdoing it when you feel good. Thanks again to my BS family. You help me every day.
 
Hey, speaking of laying on your back... this is all I have been doing. They did not show me how to roll on my side, so I haven't tried. I've told myself for years that I will start sleeping on my back - tomorrow, each time. haha. So at least this gives me a chance to do so, but is it okay to be on the back all the time??
 
I could not roll on my non-op side until week 2. My physio showed me during our home session. At first I could only lie on my non-op side for short periods of time. I did it because my bums were getting sore. At Week 3, I could sleep for a few hours on non-op side. This week non-op side is no problem. I am a side sleeper so I start this way but end up on my back when I wake up. My op side still sore. I tried today and lasted about 20 minutes. The incision is still too sore.
 
Oh. If your OS gave you restrictions you may not be allowed. @craftdee I believe has this restriction. So make sure you are not going against your OS restrictions.
 
ah okay, I was not informed of any restrictions... but I'll make sure to ask just to be safe =) I have physio next week, so will see about it then too.
 
Hi @charley86 @xtina16405 is quite right I do have restrictions... don't like em', but do follow them:blackcloud: One is that I MUST sleep on my back. For most people with restrictions they last six weeks, for an unlucky few (like me tada) it's twelve weeks. I am hoping to have the back sleeping one lifted at six weeks, I will then be allowed to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs to keep the operated leg from crossing the midline. For some people that is the limit of the restriction (to use a pillow if they sleep on their side) from the beginning. I also have to not bend beyond 90 degrees, sit with a wedge cushion so that my knees are always lower than my hips, not cross my legs, not twist my torso while weight bearing on my operated leg, and I have an extra one which is not to prop my operated leg while sleeping (on my back, lol) but that doesn't seem to be a standard restriction while the others are:what:
If you are going to try rolling from your back to your side, make sure that pillow is between your knees when you start and stays keeping your legs apart and parallel throughout... but please check with your OS first
If you had Anterior Approach you are less likely to have these restrictions, but it is still worth asking your OS. The restrictions are all designed to reduce the (already quite low) chance of having your hip dislocate... the reason Posterior Approach is more susceptible to dislocation is that in that procedure the posterior capsule that protects the hip is opened and the protective layer of muscle around it, so there's a "weak" spot until the capsule and muscles heal, Anterior Approach isn't as invasive.
Oh how right you are @xtina16405 your buns get sore:sick: I have cheated a couple of times (I'm a side sleeper too and find I get so little sleep on my back) and rolled onto my side (but DEFINITELY used the pillow) ... it was bliss:egypdance:
I rolled onto my operated side once on purpose (to kiss hubby goodnight) and it was excruciating, that was at only two weeks though, and once by accident last week... but it still hurt, never mind 20 minutes -I lasted about 20 seconds:rotfl:I understand that it can take many months to be able to sleep comfortably on your operated side, but not for everyone of course.
I'm so glad you're having aches and pains too (not that I want you to have pain of course:tada:) ... I was starting to think I was the only person to have this op that ever had them. The hip's fine, the thigh and knee are killing me! At least the shoulders and upper back pain have got better since I stopped using the crutches. I've started icing again too:ice: and taking Panadol (Paracetemol orTylenol) again through the day (I had dropped to one dose in the mornings, that are always way worse than the rest of the day) and lowered the activity level somewhat and it's better, guess I went too low too quick and paid the price.
I'm having a Physio visit tomorrow, I'm going to see if she can show me some massage foam roller type stuff for this thigh pain. I YouTubed it today, as you do:heehee: and saw an article about using a piece of pipe etc. So needs must, I got the rolling pin out of the kitchen drawer and hubby was rolling me like a piece of pastry for about ten minutes... until he got bored:loll: You know, it actually felt good!!
Enjoy the roller coaster :good-bad:(in my "real life" I love the roller coaster, here... not so much!) that is our recovery. Hopefully we can move to the pony ride soon:horseriding:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom