Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are the.only one who can.decide if you.wait then.absolute rest but its quite a long time. As much as.anything its the mental anguish. Thinking of you pal

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks for your concern. If I walk straight legged it isn't so bad, it is when I keep bending it that it hurts. I had 27 weeks practice at having a straight leg with a immobiliser brace. I thought of using the brace again. I will discuss it with the GP tomorrow.
 
Nae need for thanks it is.what we do

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Brace is on, any slight twisting of leg hurts a lot down outer leg where long stem is. I am going to sit it out until GP appointment tomorrow morning and see what she suggests. I had problems last year between Christmas and New Year and had to be admitted overnight to local hospital as GP couldn't get in touch with knee surgeon. Perfect timing again. Do not have problems on weekends and Bank Holidays in the UK it is the same. I am virtually 7 months out now from the last op I did not expect more problems.

I have just read an article about problems with the UHMWPE (polyethylene) bearings and bumper disintegrating on a SMILES knee. I just wonder...There was an incident in theatre and my knee had to be re-sterilised using chlorohex solvent. Where the outer bearing is, is where I have the problem. My whole leg has been subjected to higher stress due to the mis alignment/rotation. It is the Materials Engineer in me thinking, maybe I am thinking too much. I will just have to wait and see. It is odd now, the leg alignment looks correct and my foot points in the right direction.
 
Try not to overthink what might be going on. A person's mind can go to all sorts of strange places at a time like this. I think you probably are better off with your GP than the emergency room staff, who probably would know little to nothing about orthopedics. Ideally, your GP might be able to help get you in to see your surgeon more quickly.

Your program of resting and taking things easy until tomorrow is good. Please let us know how that appointment comes out.
 
Thanks again. The brace is helping, I'm glad I kept it. It is stabilising my leg. The only trouble is l can't ice when it is on. I will wait to see what the GP says tomorrow. She will be surprised as I am supposed to be seeing her about my abdo pain not leg.
 
Fall back position if it gets worse is to go to A&E at another hospital in the trust or wait until I see the GP tomorrow morning.
It's not an emergency like that. You can wait until the hospital is back in normal business and ring his secretary to get a message to him. You GP won't have anything to offer and will most likely just tell you to go home and rest. But I do agree that you need to cntact your surgeon as soon as is practicable.
You could ring NHS 24 Doubt if they.would send dr.but you never know
No they won't!
 
My GP was proactive this morning. She examined my leg and agreed that she thought something amiss with the knee. She could feel the movement inside the knee when I flexed it. She didn't like the hyperextension and the loss of flexion. She is going to fax a letter to the knee surgeon so that it will be with his secretary first thing Monday morning. I have to continue with the brace and icing and do nothing to aggravate it. She reckons it needs another scan.

With regards to the problem I was booked in to see her about. It is very likely that I will have to have my gallbladder out. I also have to stay off painkillers if at all possible. Hopefully by digestive system will settle down. Now waiting for gastro surgeon appointment.
 
In scotland its not unknown for nhs 24 to send dr out. At my work dr often.comes its cheaper than.sending ambulance and then having hospital.see.them and then.disscharge.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin, I agree, from what I have seen and experienced of the Scottish NHS, they seem far more focused than the English NHS. Small local hospitals near the patients home to deal with day to day issues and recovery backed up by a central large hospital with modern up to date specialist facilities . Hubby's elderly relatives have benefited many times from this. Being near to their families ensures regular visits from loved ones.
 
don't get me wrong scot NHS isn't perfect but in.talking to friends down.south its way better. We also have free perscriptions. I have had six follow up calls from.nurses on.ward to.check I.am ok. Mind you they might hv just been.looking.for a.bleather. I know.what you.are saying Legin.talk.noooooooo such a.quiet chap. -whistles

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I get free prescriptions now I'm over 60, but had a medical exemption card before that as I'm diabetic on meds. The Welsh get free prescriptions also I think. Think it is an unfair anomaly. We all pay the same taxes.
 
Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. You have so much to deal with all at once.
Glad you kept your brace, and that it is helping you now.
 
I'm.so.glad I am.here otherwise would be.paying.tuition.fees for the girls.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Work paid for my second degree, 30 years after the first one, but I had to do it mostly in my own time.
 
Its diff doing education.as a.mature student I had a.ball at uni

Legin THR Sep 14
 
My left knee is still hurting a lot even with the brace on. Without it, it feels unstable. My ankle is OK now and my foot pain is decreasing. I hope I get some answers next week.
 
but had a medical exemption card before that as I'm diabetic on meds
How strange you should say this. I was telling a lady that her husband should be getting free prescriptions but she said he doesn't. I was pretty certain he did as a T2D. Thank you for the information.
 
@Josephine, if you are a diet controlled type 2 diabetic you aren't entitled to a medical exemption card, only eligible if you take meds.
 
First day of the New Year and I had a bad night. I got pins and needles in my left foot. Looks like something is now pressing on a nerve. Gently changed position slowly a few times and it eased off a little. Abdo pain bad also. Roll on next week please, and hopefully I might get some answers, then we can work on a solution. It hit me bad in the night I suppose it is the thought of it being a new year and I'm no further forward. I feel as if I'm going backwards again. Surely the light at the end of the tunnel will be visible soon, I certainly hope so. I don't relish the thought of more surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom