Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, still getting hot sweats from time to time but much better than I was. I think I must have had a bug. Hubby getting better too. He has to go to the hospital tomorrow to have two teeth out. He went to docs today to be checked out as his ear has been sore. Checked out OK so we guess it must be from his teeth. He wasn't good last time he had a wisdom tooth out so I'm keeping my fingers crossed he has a better outcome this time.

My foot/ankle/knee/leg/back is still really bothering me. I have an appointment with a different podiatrist on Wednesday, let's hope they can shed some light on the problem. I believe that my tibia is badly aligned with my knee and femur and is causing most of the problem. I spend most of the day resting with my leg elevated. I have been doing some craft work to keep my mind occupied.

Yesterday and today I've had a daytime snooze, couldn't help myself. One minute I was awake the next I'd dozed off. We had a power outage yesterday and were unable to get hot water as it is pumped from the thermal store. It was afternoon before I got my bath and got dressed.

Tomorrow is the three year anniversary of the original TKR, and I'm still not fixed.
 
Hi @busylizzie

Well I'm not going to be hypocritical and wish you happy ankneeversary. It's not that far from the north west to the midlands and I don't need you to bounce anything off my head for saying it (only joking)!!! :heehee:

Good luck with the appointment on Wednesday. I hope it goes your way, I really do. It's about time you got a break from all of this x

Something to make you smile (I hope) look how the emoticon goes up the others backside !!!!
:heehee::bolt::rotfl::heehee:
I seriously need to get out more...xxxxx

Have a nice evening xxx

Love Ann xxx
 
I went with hubby to the hospital today. They struggled to get the teeth out. He is in quite a lot of pain and on antibiotics now. I hope he will be fit in the morning to transport me to my appointment or else it will have to be a taxi. He said not to book one yet.

My leg continues to be very painful today and painkillers aren't helping much with the pain.

@Nana moon 27, thanks for making me laugh. When I worked in industry, I used to regularly go to the Midlands for business meetings.
 
Ah so you get the humour then? Thats a relief. I'd hate to upset anyone intentionally! Business meetings in the Midlands, were any in Brum or was it more the Black Country area? That's sounds like a very responsible job you had there.

I do so hope that your husband gets better before the morning do he can Take you. These flipping taxis cost a fortune and more often than not it's a bit of a white knuckle ride with some down here....scary xxx

It is horrible when the meds don't work. I got like that before this revision. It was the moat frustrating thing I had even been through and then when my my mobility was affected and I couldn't do what I wanted to do with the kids on holiday I got very depressed.

So on that basis I cannot even begin to comprehend how you are feeling. I totally get the frustration. But as for your living with the constant pain I don't know how you do it. The strain on you both must be enormous. We've only had 11 months and I have to say it's been the hardest ever.

I'm glad I made you laugh, that's good for you.

Love Ann xxx
 
@Nana moon 27, I used to go round the car plants in the 'British Leyland' group in turn roughly once a month. Triumph, Jaguar, Rover and Austin Morris. Most were near where you live but also Cowley, Oxfordshire. I was young then. Up early in the morning, travel down, full day meeting including over lunch, then back at teatime. Tiring but rewarding. Jaguar had the best lunch, white tablecloths and waitress service. I got to know the M6 well. I sometimes went home via the scenic route through Lichfield when the motorway was busy.
 
You wouldn't like going from Birmingham to Lichfield now. They put a monstrosity of a chaos known as Dunton Island. It has that many lanes and traffic lights in odd positions, you don't know where you are! It is a main route too, full of artic lorries and very heavy commercial and domestic vehicles. I tell you know, the number aof near misses we've seen there is scary. I know as my aunt and uncle live in Lichfield. I've driven it a number if times to take mom to see her brother and sis in law because dad cannot face that island.

I would imagine that Jaguar would have the best. How lovely for you to have done such a job as that. Good for you. I've enjoyed this chat it's nice to hear a bit of someone's life isn't it? Xxx

Love Ann xxxx
 
Well today is another day and I've had a more positive appointment. What a change. I saw a senior podiatrist. She took a very detailed history and listened to the outcome of the things I'd already tried.

She noticed my leg mal alignment straight away from the chair where she sat. She thinks its my tibia that is causing the problem. She didn't know whether to start treatment today or wait until I'd seen the consultant next Monday. She also said that she would have tried a lateral post first but kicked it into touch as I'd already been down that route. Decided in the end to have an orthotic made with a medial post to try. It will take 2 to 3 weeks to make and it will be posted out to me. We don't know if it will work but it is worth a try. If it causes more pain to stop using it straight away. She wants me to get an ankle support as my ankle is getting very irritated. She was very gentle with the examination not wanting to make things worse.

I have to be careful not to aggravate my foot any more. The plantar fasciitis should get better as my foot settles down. She isn't sure that all the problems can be fully resolved with my present knee in place. I may have to put up with some discomfort in my leg and back whilst they try and sort out what to do. Like me she thinks that some of the problem is because my knee has a fixed hinge and no movement side to side. She thinks i will have foot/ankle xrays taken on Monday. Also the unnatural position I stood in for the leg xrays could have masked some of the mis alignment, just as I thought.

I definitely have a 2cm actual leg length discrepancy. My original surgeon disputed it was an actual discrepancy and kept telling me it was apparent one.I have a new heel raiser and I'm getting one made with a new orthotic for my right foot also.

I was upfront about going to Salford University for what I thought was going to be gait analysis. I have to go to next week's appointment and see what happens. If I'm getting nowhere we agreed to kick Salford into touch. I can't go through that painful experience again. Hopefully next Monday's appointment with the specialist will give me more idea what is happening. She was surprised that it was still in pain when I was at rest, even in bed.

At last I have been heard, I have had this problem 5 months and repeatedly told give it time it will settle down. I have come away in a more positive frame of mind. No more painful exercises for me until they sort out an action plan.

The normal follow up from this morning's appointment is a telephone appointment in a few weeks time. Not for me, she wants me back to see her in person after I have tried the orthotics and seen the specialist.
 
I have another reason today to be happy. I was involved in a road traffic accident as a pedestrian on my way home from school 49 years ago today. I have no recollection what actually happened but I feel very lucky to be alive. I was tossed in the air and had a compound fracture of my leg and broken upper arm. I was in hospital approx 10 weeks and confined to bed for 9 of them. I haven't liked bonfire night since then, but rejoice that I survived. I made an almost full recovery and it hasn't stopped me doing anything over the years.
 
Oh @busylizzie

It made me glad to my heart when I read this lovely, hopeful post. At last, things are looking up. The beauty of this is that you can go on Monday, armed with the information from this wonderful podiatrist you saw today. This is lovely hearing you so hopeful. You were truly blessed today with that lady. It's good that this happened today, on what would have been the worst day of your life 49 years ago. It's balanced it. I like that. Maybe this is your turning point. I will be crossing everything for you now xx I cannot tell you how pleased I am. Maybe we are both going to have a better 2015 x

Love Ann xxx
 
I'm so glad to hear you had a much more productive appointment this time @busylizzie :loveshwr:
 
@Nana moon 27, Thank you for asking, Hubby is slowly recovering. Dentist at the hospital had to drill out the wisdom tooth, he couldn't pull it. Hence it has been a painful recovery. He is still on strong antibiotics but has stopped the painkillers now. The swelling is going down, but he has trouble opening his mouth still. He said this week that I had to stop making him laugh as it hurt.

I went to the pain research hypnotherapist on Thursday evening. It was very different. She is researching the 'Escudero Method'. Dr Escudero practised Noesitherapy, 'healing by thinking'. He anaesthetised patients without any chemical anaesthetics. She uses a method based on it for pain relief with quite a lot of success. She worked on the lateral side of my left ankle/foot with some success. It is very specific where the pain has decreased. I still have the plantar fasciitis on the same foot. It is odd that the ankle /side of my foot pain is less but I'm still get pain related to it up my leg/knee/thigh/back. I'll have to see how things go. I am going to have a follow up appointment.

Today I went for the Gastroscopy. i have now been diagnosed with mild Hiatus Hernia and Gastritis. Biopsies were taken and i have to wait for the results and have the Ultrasounds that were also asked for by my consultant.

Monday, I go to see the ankle/foot specialist.
 
Oh I'm glad your husbands coming through it all. That's nasty stuff he's been through. I wouldn't suggest you read the poem on the Christmas thread to him in the Social room I wrote though.. The thread is called something like I know it's early but... One of the ladies isn't a Christmas lover and really took the rise earlier, not nastily but very drily. I've tagged her into a poem I made up about her x it is a nice one, in the end, and as you know I would never intentionally upset anyone xx

The one and only tooth I ever had out was about three years ago. It was a back double tooth and it broke as he pulled it. Oh it was the pits. I had to sit with my mouth wide open for twenty minutes, while he drilled the rest out. I had a bit of shock after and should never have driven home but I did. Shaking, nervy, freezing cold. Never, again. I'm more careful with them.

I'm glad you've had some relief from the alternative therapy. These things do work. I had acupuncture off a private PT before my revision and it worked. I was sceptical until it worked x ok the results didn't last more than a few days but that for me was fantastic.

I'm even more pleased that you have a diagnosis for your stomach. All these things when they are sorted will help you feel so much better xxx

I wish you luck with your forthcoming appointments and it's lovely you are sounding sooooo much better in yourself xx

Love Ann xxx
 
@Nana moon 27 , I have tried acupuncture too. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I am willing to give anything a try providing it is safe to do so. I keep an open mind. I have tried hypnotherapy before, but not for my knee. It didn't work last time even after 12 sessions. They decided that I was in too much pain from other sources for it to work, still, it is a method of relaxation I try from time to time.

It is an odd sensation knowing that my ankle hurts less, but is still giving me the same problems. I have to be very careful not to overuse it.

When I had to have a Wisdom tooth out years ago because of infection , I went straight back to work afterwards much to the surprise of my work colleagues.

I have ordered the ankle support recommended by the podiatrist this week, but it hasn't arrived yet. I bet it comes when I'm out on Monday.
 
Busylizzie,
Glad to read you have some relief from your pain. You are smart to not overuse it, just because if feels better.
I hope your appointments next week are productive, and give you some more answers.
Murphys law that your ankle braces will arrive while you are out, or maybe not.
 
My whole leg with the exception of my ankle and lateral side of my foot continues to be very painful. I would never have thought the pain research trial on Thursday evening would work. My ankle/ outer foot still hurts but nothing like it used to. I have been more comfortable lying in bed, hence I am sleeping better and for longer, but still not great. I still feel exhausted. I am being very careful not to overdo weight bearing but the rest of my leg is still suffering. I wonder what will be the outcome tomorrow when I see the specialist.
 
It was a long wait this morning. I had to wait an hour for xrays. I had to put my foot in an unnatural position again which set off the pain. Then another wait to see the consultant. He was very thorough in his examination. Hubby and I think that he thinks it is an alignment problem but did not actually say it was, just the reaction we got. There is nothing structural wrong with my foot/ankle. He had me jumping around with the pain and kept comparing the left one with the right good one. He scratched his head at one point. He said that the left one was hypersensitive. I have to have nerve conduction tests and a CT scan. He asked if I've ever had Gabapentin before. I collapsed in the garden last time I took it and had to spend 2 nights in Hospital. So it is a no no. Lyrica doesn't agree with me too as don't antidepressants used for pain relief. My hubby mentioned that the pain kept me awake at night so I'm being referred to pain management yet again. I mentioned that pain management at 3 separate hospitals in the past hadn't worked and they had all signed me off with unresolvable pain. I am still being referred.

At the desk on the way out I asked how long the waiting lists were. With a bit of luck I should get appointments before Christmas for the nerve tests and CT scan. The pain management waiting list is long and no idea when. Then I will have to wait for an appointment back to see the consultant I saw this morning, then another wait to see my knee consultant.

At least I am being heard now. I have to work at calming down the pain again in my foot/ankle to survive. Thank goodness I have my scooter so I can get out and about without walking.
 
Rheumy appointment went well today. I got 2 for the price of 1. My advanced practitioner was training a colleague. I've to do very little exerise until foot/ankle is sorted out. I mentioned swimming and we decided no no until we have a diagnosis. I could just make it a lot worse than it is. Still longer being a couch potato. I have to manage my fibromyalgia as best as I can in the circumstances.


I mentioned the pain research and they were very interested.
 
I've just had a long soak in the bath, so relaxing. I needed it. Early lunch today, then off to Salford University podiatry appointment. I so don't want to go. It is the 6th appointment in 8 days. I don't think I'll get anything positive out of it. I don't think they will offer me anything to improve the pain. The orthotics I got last time just aggregated my leg as did the exercises. Oh well, I better get dressed and have lunch and be off!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom