Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry you are not getting sleep. I am up too, but at least I know to expect fragmented sleep after revision. Hope you get some rest soon.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
I have always been a tummy/side sleeper so having to sleep on my back isn't good especially for so long. I can turn slightly to the side now but any strain on the fixed leg ups the pain level and also affects my hip. I use a pillow to keep my legs apart and support the fixed leg.
 
Morning! So sorry you and pumpkln are not sleeping. I think it took me forever to sleep on my side. It was less painful to sleep on the unoperated side at first. Now at over five months I can sleep on tkr side. It must be harder with revisions though. I have read on BS about members using different types of pillows but I did not try any of them.

Is the pain level the same or worse for you? Tomorrow is May 1. You are getting closer and life will get better.

@Pumpkln - can you feel a difference yet in getting a revision? I have much empathy for both of you.

I bought you some cupcakes from my grandsons birthday. I hope they cheer you up!

[Bonesmart.org] Would like advice please, I think knee has moved


Hugs and prayers
JoAnne


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Yummy cakes. I bet he liked them. Did he get a sugar rush. My grandkids do when they eat sugary food, sometimes they go wild! Hubby has just gone to pick up grandaughter from nursery, Mum is working today. I'll not have much time to think about my leg this afternoon which is good, but I'm very tired. He looks after her, but she always comes to me for reading stories and some craft activities. She likes 'cutting and sticking' and painting. I've also got her sewing using Binca and thick embroidery cotton and plastic needles. Mum can't sew so I've started early in the hope she will.

My leg hurts when there is any movement between the upper and lower parts. The brace stabilises it but does not hold it rigid enough and allows some sideways motion. If I tighten it more the pressure of the brace makes it hurt more. Just laying on the bed without the brace, the weight of the leg tries to straighten it out after a short time. If I change braces the same thing happens. I'm on my 4th brace and hoping it will last til the op. Its the velcro that fails and I have had to add additional velcro to each brace. They only last approx 6 weeks. I have to buy them online. The replacement brace I got from the hospital was shorter with less fastenings and isn't comfortable. I manage in the daytime as I'm aware what is happening, but at night its harder.

Yes its May tommorow and only a week to the pre-op appointment. Still not heard details of what they are fitting on the 2nd June.
 
Very sugary. Too sweet for me - I had to scrape off all the goodies. He cried when the cupcake was finished. So cute - I love time with grandchildren! Take it easy and enjoy the little things! ((Hugs))


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Hope you had a good time with your granddaughter this afternoon. I always find they are a great way of taking my mind off other things, but I'm exhausted when they go home! My youngest, Ella, who is just 10 months old, started walking on Sunday so Tuesdays (when I look after her and her 4 year old sister, Leila) will be even more fun from now on.

I hope you have a better night tonight and are able to get a bit more sleep. I remember very well not being able to get comfortable in bed with the brace on and having to sleep on my back which I really don't like. Sweet dreams. Linda x
 
Hi @Coppernob thanks for the post. I just sat on the settee with my leg up and watched this afternoon I was so tired. Hubby let her have the glitter glue pens, glitter and sequins and supervised a good 'sticky' session. She loved it as usual. She has just turned 3. Its nice to have a little girl and do girly things, but she can be a tomboy. Its hard when her big brother is here as well trying to keep the peace and keep them both occupied, but enjoyable. They seem to understand now what grandma can and can't do. The little girl hasn't known me any different.

It was a nice afternoon so hubby pushed me in my wheelchair to school tonight to collect him, his sister sits on my good knee and has a ride too. Then back to their house for 1/2 hr or so until Mum comes home.

You'll have to child proof now that the little one is walking she will be into everything. Its good they grow up knowing and seeing their grandparents. I only really knew one of my grandmas the other one lived 360 miles away and I only saw her once a year. I never knew my grandads. We too moved away from our parents to get work. Fortunately our son only lives 2 miles down the road.

I'm off to bed now for an early night and try and get some sleep. I haven't napped today so hopefully it might work. I try and keep awake in the day but sometimes I can't and doze off for a short time. I have to stay upstairs at night as I can't make it downstairs quick enough to stop the house alarm going off. We forgot to get the time extended when we had it serviced recently. Hubby is a good sleeper and doesn't tend to wake up even if I fidget all night. He does snore however.
 
Last night was better, but I still kept waking up. I was able to go back to sleep which helped.

Both hubby and I were discussing the June 2nd date and wondering if it was realistic. We both have concerns whether the implant will be ready on time. We have 2 Monday bank holidays this month when everything stops. I still haven't heard from the hospital details about the implant and they said they would let me know as soon as they heard. Perhaps I am getting paranoid but I don't want any more delays, I don't think I could cope with any more. I have pre-op next Wednesday so I'll be asking questions then. I seem in limbo land my scar is healing well but I know I will be back to square one soon.

@Pumpkln as a physio have you any idea on the time scale to get my thigh muscles working again please. My thigh is getting very wasted and thin and limp. I know it will be hard work. As a kid almost 50 years ago I broke my tib and fib on my other leg and was in a full length cast bedbound for 9 weeks. i remember then that my muscles were wasted and I really had to work to get them going. I was a lot younger then and got dismissed from physio after a few weeks.
 
Recovery of use of your thigh muscles is different for every individual. First thing is the muscles have to learn that you will be using them and they need to start working. Best to expect little gains, like seeing or feeling the muscles contract, even though you cannot see your leg move yet.
You will need a physio who can integrate both ortho and neuro approaches for the best result.
I hope you implant is ready for your surgery date, and there are no delays in your surgery.
 
Still having trouble sleeping but it is not as bad as earlier in the week. I've changed one of my medications and I think it is helping.
 
Spoke too soon. Last night was not good. A fair bit of pain too for some unknown reason. I didn't do anything to trigger it. Not much better today, I struggled to shower late this morning. Leg is more swollen. Also full of hayfever even inside the house. Had to start using my inhaler, hayfever season is the only time I need it. Antihistamines seem to have stopped working. Wonder if I have too much histamine release in my body if that is possible. The antihistamines were controlling some of the pain and swelling in my leg but that seems to have stopped also.

Just wish surgery was over and I can begin to recover and have a life again. There is so much I miss doing and want to do. Spent the day so far with leg elevated apart from toilet breaks. Well almost at 4 week waiting now. Fingers crossed that this date isn't changed like the others have been. I must be due some luck after all this time.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Would like advice please, I think knee has moved
Hope you'll be feeling better soon. Hayfever is soooooo annoying!
 
Thanks @bottomshollow I'm allowed to take 2 antihistamines a day but only take one as they affect my waterworks - they make me retain urine. But needs must I think I'll take an extra one and see if it helps.
 
:hairpulling:Frustrating when one thing makes something else worse.
Around here they suggest showering before you go to bed, gets all the pollen etc out of your hair, off your body, and out of your bedding.
I hope today is better,:ice:
 
You really have shown grace under pressure in waiting an glad to read you will have a custom (and hopefully much better) knee. Waiting is hard enough but it is great you can narrow down to a specific time. We will be here for you all the way through.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I had the extra antihistamine this morning and it has helped a lot with both the hayfever and the 'knee' pain. It is wearing off now and I'm coughing and spluttering, my throat and eyes are sore. I have another hour to wait before I can have the next one. The antihistamines have always helped with the knee pain, as much or more so than painkillers. The pain and inflammation reduce each time I have a course of them. I suppose it backs up the foreign body reaction. I came off them late last summerin readiness for the aspiration testing and surgery. I started up again at the beginning of March I think in readiness for the hayfever season. I noticed a difference in my knee almost straight away.

I wish I knew what they are going to put in, in June. I told the surgeon the last time I saw him that I thought I was still reacting to something. I hope it will be a cementless one, but on the otherhand I hear that they are prone to loosening. I will ask again at the pre-op on Wednesday for news unless I hear before then.
 
Pre-op is tomorrow morning and I hope that I get some news about the new knee.

I had a really bad night last night and I'm shattered now. I went on a social visit locally last night to see some friends, first time since November. I sat on the settee with my leg up but I couldn't really get comfortable and hubby had to pull me up to get me standing to go home. It did my morale good. I only stayed a couple of hours but it was enough.
 
Hang in there. June is coming though I am sure not soon enough! Hope all goes well at pre-op. you will be in my thoughts and prayers!
 
I resorted to a sleeping tablet last night as I needed a good night's sleep to face pre-op today. Not perfect but I did sleep better. I have only done this about 8 times since last September, I daren't use them every night and my GP wouldn't let me have them. I get a prescription for 14 at a time and they are strictly regulated. I know tonight won't be great, it never is the next night, but needs must.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom