Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you put the cooling pad under your knee so it does not move? Just be sure there is a pad to prevent frost bite.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks Pumpkin, I'll try that later. I'll have to build up the surrounding area with small cushions to level it off. The immobiliser is made from a type of thin foam laminate and acts as an insulator. I can take it off for showers etc, just have to be careful not to knock it. Here is a picture of a similar brace
[Bonesmart.org] Would like advice please, I think knee has moved
 
I bet you can't wait till June. You are almost there! I am sorry that you have gone they this ordeal though! We are here to support you as much as we can!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Thanks. The brace and my leg have about a 10 ish degree angle on them. I have to support the top and bottom of the brace and the middle section is in 'fresh air'. When I take the brace off any pressure round my knee area attempts to flatten my leg out and hence pain. I might just try and undo the brace and leave it under my leg for support and put a lightweight ice pack on top of it. This may work in the day but not at night when I would really benefit from it.
 
Well I've tried to keep busy this long Easter weekend and not focus as much on my knee, but I keep getting frustrated. I sat out in my wheelchair today and watched hubby garden, but all I could do was watch and give him suggestions what to do. Yesterday was a family day and I sat next to the paint easel and helped grandkids paint pictures but it was hard work getting the paints out and changing the paper over. I need my crutches to walk and haven't much balance standing still, but I managed it. Also did some binca sewing with grandaughter.

I also used wheelchair at the end of the dining table which made a change from eating from my knees sitting on the settee with my leg up which I usually do. Much more sociable. Wheelchair is stored in the car so I need someone to fetch it in for me to use in the house.

it is 6 weeks tomorrow hopefully until the op. Just wish it would go quickly. Still having a lot of trouble sleeping at night. Tried extra painkillers but it is hit and miss whether they work. It was almost 3 o'clock again this morning before I got off to sleep. I have some sleeping tablets but can only use them occaisionally and they don't always work. I'm dreading pain management after the op with my track record of pain management and adverse effects. They put in an epidural with the spinal last time but it fell out the first night. I had to go back to recovery for a leg block to get some relief from the pain. With my stomach problems oral meds aren't good. I have got a letter from my gastro this time to put on my records to try and prevent the bowel blockage I had last time which they ignored. I was in agony a few days from that.
 
Just rang secretary to try and find out what knee they have ordered. The design is still with Stanmore but she cornfirmed it will be titanium. They will get in touch with more detail as soon as it is available.
 
Sounds like you are getting closer to finally having this done.
 
Had to go to DIY store this afternoon to get the 10% senior discount. Hubby is not quite senior so I have to accompany him. Managed self propelling myself in my wheelchair all around the store and back to the car which bucked me up. Hubby had to push trolley. My carpal tunnel seems OK doing that, but walking with crutches any distance sets it off. Just walked down to the bottom of the garden and back. Having a good afternoon.
 
Well its official. I have received written confirmatiom this lunch time that my surgery date is 2 June and I have to be there for 7am. Of course it is subject to the outcome of any pre-operative tests. I go on the 7 May for these. I think that they must be confident that my custom made prosthesis will be ready on time. So 5 more weeks to go from Monday. I can't wait. I know I will be in for a rough time ahead again but this time it is the real thing and I should be on an upward spiral for a change. There is still a possibility that it won't be a success but I don't think I can get any worse than it has been the last 5 months. I wouldn't wish it on anybody. I swopped pain, warmth and inflamation and not being able to walk, with pain, warmth and inflamation and not being able to walk AND not being able to bend my leg at all.

The more I think about it the more I think that the new knee maybe a hinged one and maybe uncemented. Just my feelings, maybe speculation. I'll have to wait a bit longer to find out. I remember the consultant saying that hinged knees were usually cobalt chrome not titanium or oxinuim. Being a bespoke knee I guess there are different possibilities. I can't wait to escape the current situation and move on with my life and start enjoying some freedom and independence. I'm trying to keep busy in the day to speed up the 5 weeks wait.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's such good news. You must be thrilled to know it's actually happening at last. Even though you have more hard work ahead, hopefully the end is in sight for you. I shall be in a Italy on 2 June but will have everything crossed for you. Linda x
 
@ coppernob thanks. Hope your wedding went well Easter saturday. I was thinking of you. It was a dry day here, hope it was in Yorkshire also. Its good to know that you're recovered enough to go to Italy on holiday. I hope to be able to go away for a late summer holiday in this country. I won't tempt fate and book yet. The extended family usually have a cottage for a week in the school holidays.
 
It all went really well thank you. The sun shone and it was a magical day. Steve and Debs said on Sunday that there wasn't anything they would have changed about their day so we couldn't wish for more than that. We were exhausted after it but are coming round now. It's good to have the holiday in Italy to look forward to or it might all have seemed a bit of an anticlimax with everything having been geared to the wedding for so long. I hope you're well enough and able to get away later in the year. Linda x
 
Got an appointment with my rheumatologist early tomorrow morning (3 months late due to NHS backlog). I have the delights of the Manchester motorway system to contend with first. It takes 3x longer first thing in the morning than later on, so a very early start. I haven't seen him since beginning of August last year so there is a lot of catching up to do. He was the one that was very concerned about my knee when the original surgeon basically told me to go away and live with what I had! He instigated the testing that has led me to where I am now. I'm going to ask about immunosuppressants just in case I have to go down that route.

I usually see him for my fibromyalgia, but that has had to take a back seat recently with all that has been going on. He is a strong advocate of mindfulness and runs a pain research centre. I took part in some research for him about a year or so before the TKR and was nearly not accepted as my pain threshold was too high. I hate to think what I'd be like now if I had a low pain threshold!
 
Incident on the way this morning which delayed us almost 1 hr so we got there slightly late, but still early enough not to loose appointment. My blood pressure was up, no surprise. He said immunosuppressants wouldn't work, which surprised me. He said the knee they put in should take account of foreign body reaction. I'm not 100% convinced but I'll have to wait and see.

They are going to wait until I've recovered from the knee op and then work on improved fitness. He said he thought I'll never be pain free. He suggested taking up swimming/ water exercise. I did ask at the local pool last week whether they would let use my crutches to get to the pool side and the answer was yes. I thought 'Mr Health and Safety' would say no. My HAD (Hospital Anxiety & Depression) scores were high which is no wonder considering the current situation.
 
Yeah things are progressing! It also sounds like you have an honest doctor which is a blessing. I am getting excited for you @busylizzie and am looking forward to your recovery posts!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Thanks @Jozilla, you and @Pumpkln are being my rocks. It is much appreciated and the way you both support others on the forum whilst still having you own problems. I was a bit down last night. A little better this morning and trying to stay positive. Less than 5 weeks now to wait. The warmer weather and this brace don't mix. The nights are definitely the worst. I took a sleeping tablet last night to at least get off to sleep before 3am but woke up this morning in pain and very stiff probably because I didn't move as much. I don't take them very often, just when I get desparate for sleep.
 
Sleeping is not so good for me tonight, on an off, all night. Just realized I missed a pain pill :bignono:, at night not so bad, elevating and resting right now. Glad to have Bonesmart for middle of the night posts. 5 weeks pre op, seemed like it would never happen, then all of a sudden the revision is behind me :elevate:.
Reading and supporting others allows me to take the focus off of myself, makes recovery easier, and lets me know I am not the only one on this journey.:hiking::friends:. Feeling :sleeep: finally.
Hope you get some rest today, and can sleep tonight.
 
More than happy to help you!! It is nice to have support. I had insomnia for several years and took every kind of sleep aid. Very frustrating. I went to an ENT for another issue. He had me take a sleep study and I had severe sleep apnea. I fell in love with my Cpap machine instantly! If the insomnia continues I would suggest this test down the road. I went to a facility but they are doing them in your own home now. Very frustrating not sleeping. I hope it gets better for you and is just related to what you are going thru. Keep posting! We care.


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Yet another bad night. I feel like a zombie. Couldn't get to sleep and then couldn't stay asleep probably because I couldn't get comfortable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom