Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like it should be time to move ahead, sorry to hear you have to wait so long for your consult, and then the wait for surgery.:sad:
 
Do not apologize for expressing your frustration. You have had a long road and are still waiting for more answers. It is normal and that is what bone smart is all about - allowing ourselves to express our feelings, good or bad.
 
I rang consultant's secretary this morning to ask for a progress report as I knew that this was his first clinic day since February.

He is going to discuss what to put in my knee with a manufacturer next Monday. The earliest the op will be is the beginning of June which is 2 weeks more than first told. It will only be then if a suitable off the shelf implant can be found. If a custom implant needs to be manufactured this takes 3 to 5 months so it will be at least the middle of summer before the op then. Why can't the original timings he gives be more realistic. I know he is a good surgeon and hope the wait will be worth it. He only operates on Mondays and we have 3 Bank Holidays coming up. I have said I will take cancellations even at very short notice so long as I have time to fast!

I am continuing to have pain in my good knee back and hip and said so. The pain in these is worse than the knee with the spacer. A new knew can't come soon enough as there is nothing I can do about this pain except hope it will settle down when the stress is off this part of my body. There will be no option of a right knee replacement for the foreseeable future.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry this is so slow, but at least he is looking at your options, and hopefully you will start to move forward soon.
 
Hi Lizzie. Sorry for not responding earlier. Your situation just leaves me speechless. You have been so patient and such an advocate for yourself for so long. Very impressive! I am thinking of you and praying the pros identify the right implant for you pronto! Keep the faith my friend!
 
Secretary rang 1 hour ago, they need full leg length XRays to put on disc to send to Stanmore. Just having lunch and then off to hospital. Best news of the day, things are progressing albeit very slowly.
 
Great news, Happy to hear everything is moving in the direction for a resolution of your foreign body reaction.(English drives me crazy, i before e except after c, then there are the exceptions :hairpulling:)
Don't forget the tortoise won the race. Slow but sure and you will get there!
 
Had them done, front and side standing full length Xrays. I had trouble balancing for them and hung on to a walker for dear life for the sidewards one ( had to do a semi lunge to keep my good leg out of the way) and my crutches for the front one. They need to be put onto disc now.
 
Glad things are moving along.
 
One step backwards again. Swelling has come back up and in pain since Monday. Wonder if it was the lunge? Had to take brace off for Xray. On 4th brace now, also wondering if when I change the brace if the angle is just slightly different and also affecting it. Tried icing again without brace last night, OK for a while then the weight of the ice pack made leg hurt and I had to stop.
 
Great news this afternoon, I have got a provisional date for surgery on 2nd June subject to my custom implant being ready.
 
Great news! Let the countdown to June 2nd begin. Your perseverance and patience is finally paying off! And a custom implant too....that is marvelous. I wonder what metals they will use. And how your sensitivity to cement will be handled. If you have the details, please share. All well here with my new Oxinium knee and I remain ever hopeful that it's my answer. Your good news has made my day Lizzie!
 
@spinfanatic Thanks. I don't know what has been ordered yet. Will probably be after Easter now before it is sorted as Xrays have to go onto disc and then get to implant manufacturer. Pre-op is the 7th May so I may find out then. It was admissions that got in touch today.
 
Terrific news. I have been reading your thread and wish you the best!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Sorry to have been out of touch for a while. I've been up to my ears in wedding preparations, cake making, childminding and birthday celebrations.

It's not good that you were given the run around again, but I'm so pleased that you at least have a provisional date now. Hopefully nothing will happen to delay things. You have been through so much and been so strong and patient through it all. It's time that something went right for you now.

We're gearing up for Steve and Debs' wedding on Saturday. Hopefully the sun will continue to shine until then. I hope you have a good Easter. With continuing thoughts and prayers Linda x
 
[Bonesmart.org] Would like advice please, I think knee has moved
your thread title per your request, @busylizzie. Good to see that things are on the move at last!
 
@Coppernob belated Birthday Wishes. Hope your wedding goes well. They are great occaissions but do take some planning. Lets hope the weather is good.

I'm on countdown again now and just hope nothing goes wrong this time and I get a new knee. I've a feeling mine might be made out of titanium too as he doesn't want to put another oxinium knee in and cobalt chrome is out. It is with the manufacturers and him now to decide what is best. I know it is going to be a custom knee and that is why it is a provisional date. Let's hope they are quick making it.
 
Well at almost 21 weeks post stage 1 I've made it to the bottom of the garden for the first time since surgery on crutches. Wheelchair won't go over the grass with me in it but hubby took it down so I could sit down when I got there. He wanted an opinion on a new low wall he wants to build. I'm shattered now. Pain no more than it has been this week but still not good.

I have real trouble sleeping and it was about 4 am this morning before I dropped off after having had about an hour before midnight. The immobiliser brace is so hot and uncomfortable in bed. I hope I don't need another after stage 2. I have just over 6 weeks to wait still. I just hope we don't have a heatwave. Not looking forward to another 6 weeks of TEDS then again and blood thinning injections. It will be the 3rd set since November.
 
I don't know if you have an electric ice machine but I was able to use it all night under my immobilizer brace. I only had to wear the brace for three weeks and only at night so I consider myself fortunate. I believe my OS wanted me to use it because he straightened my leg and also worked on ligaments around my kneecap. I thought everyone had to wear one and was surprised when I found out that was not the case. You are almost there now. You certainly have a great deal of patience. I cannot imagine you have been dealing with this for years!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
@Jozilla thanks. I think it will be any ice pack/machine. It is the weight of it on the cement that causes the pain I think. I haven't been able to use one since the op. Any little pressure on where my knee used to be alters the angle between the lower and upper leg and that causes the pain. Even changing from one brace to another is a problem, even when I transfer the same metal stays. It is a 6 strap immobiliser brace and I can't fully tighten the middle 2 due to the pressure. Just hoping the 6 week wait from Monday is correct and he doesn't change the date again. Fingers crossed the new implant is ready on time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom