TKR Woohoo! Now I've got two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, and I knew "I was Leaving on a jet plane...." :rotfl:

Do you remember that song?

Like I said I gave her my real cell phone number because she asked for it, but I knew she was too wrapped up in herself to keep track of a little slip of paper. She just wanted someone to listen at the time, and I gave the nurses and aides a reprieve that way. :wink:
 
Wow, you're a good woman. And brave. I knew my roommie was also wanting attention, that there was fundamentally something amiss. But the best I could muster at that point was keeping my temper and offering help if no nurse appeared immediately. Worse, we found out when she was still happily high that we grew up on the same street, went to the same schools, etc., and we live just a few blocks apart now too. She wanted to get together after we were both on our feet. Now I desperately hope she's forgotten my last name so she won't find me. I feel guilty, but I just didn't have it in me to be that nice. You, however, were an angel. :angel: (of course, you could also leave and go back to your room. Just sayin')

Since she was high at the time maybe she won't remember where you live! :heehee:
 
Physiotherapist came today and was very pleased with how I'm doing. ROM and all that is progressing very well. That surprises me because I've not been diligent about exercises while things have been so sore, but she actually said that was just the right approach. Yay BoneSmart!
 
So you really were only pretending to be nice. :wink:

LOL, at first, I just wanted to give the nurses a break! Then as I listened to her I started to feel sorry for her. :heehee: I guess maybe I am a softie sometimes! :wink:
 
I just wrote on another thread that it feels like I'm in a weird space-time continuum ruled by Knees, where a day lasts 72 hours. Does anyone else feel like that?

I feel so cut off from everything. Today I went outside for wee walk, just because I needed to do something, anything. The PT told me yesterday that I should wait several more days to to this and be sure I had someone with me. Well, the walls were closing in and I seem to be sort of stranded alone these days (it's that 72-hour day thing, but it feels like no one is ever coming to visit me), so I went out. The garage steps were tricky, admittedly stupid to do. I didn't go far, just enough to get some very hot and humid air, take cute but useless cat for a walk, and get really tuckered out. Maybe 20 minutes, and it did feel good to get out. But my knee is most definitely not happy with me; PT obviously knows best in this case.

Before surgery, I tried to get hooked up making caps for preemies in the hospital, but trying to volunteer was practically impossible and it didn't work out. I can't concentrate for long, have minimal energy, but I'd like to be doing something other than playing Angry Birds and Boggle. Does anyone have any ideas?
 
Well yes! Take graduate classes online! Lots of fun, especially since I have one of my classmates that has excuses for everything! I listened to her go on and on today as to why she couldn't finish her part of our assignment, too tired, jet lag, blah, blah, blah, and not once did I mention that I have a knee that won't behave! I told her we all have stuff in our lives, it just depends on how we deal with it. Lord help her if she ever has a knee replacement. A small bump opened on her arm and she talked about it for 15 minutes. When I would steer her back to our assignment she would go on another tangent. Finally I said I have to go. She kept calling and leaving messages but she finally did what she was supposed to do on the assignment!:hairpulling:
 
I remember those 72 hour days! It averages out. The days are about 16 hours long at this point! Can't believe it's been three months!

Unfortunately, with all that extra time with those 72 hour days, I didn't have the mental capacity or energy to DO anything. The same drugs and healing that slowed time down, slowed me down. Mindless television. That's all I could manage. :-/
 
Well, gee, you make that sound so appealing. :snork: I certainly would like to spend my time off from teaching dealing with students who make excuses for not doing their homework and with inconsiderate colleagues who don't know how to cooperate. :gaah:

Seriously, though, I don't think I have enough concentration to take courses, though I certainly have considered it. I do plan to return to work too (can you tell how much I'm looking forward to that?), so can't do the big commitment for grad studies anyway.

But I do thank you for the idea. Keep 'em coming!
 
Unfortunately, with all that extra time with those 72 hour days, I didn't have the mental capacity or energy to DO anything. The same drugs and healing that slowed time down, slowed me down. Mindless television. That's all I could manage. :-/
exactly!! And it's too muggy to have the windows open even at night, so I feel really cooped up. I can't even focus on serious reading, and crosswords are way too hard. Before I go back to work I'll have to learn a bunch of new novels to teach, so I'm a bit worried. But at this stage I'll even take a suggestion for a fun app (free?) for my iPad!
 
Houzz is free if you like to thumb through Home pictures. It's fabulous on the iPad.
 
Well, gee, you make that sound so appealing. :snork: I certainly would like to spend my time off from teaching dealing with students who make excuses for not doing their homework and with inconsiderate colleagues who don't know how to cooperate. :gaah:

Seriously, though, I don't think I have enough concentration to take courses, though I certainly have considered it. I do plan to return to work too (can you tell how much I'm looking forward to that?), so can't do the biggie grad studies anyway. (too snobby to say I have three university degrees already, plus a ton of extra university-level qualifications for my work?)

But I do thank you for the idea. Keep 'em coming!
OK how about if you just take my place dealing with this one teammate that is driving me bonkers! I will write all the papers, you just do the talking!:headbang:
 
Jebsw, boy do I remember those long days!! I couldn't concentrate to save my life! It took forever to get my focus back. I'm a financial planner and used to being super sharp, so having the dull haze hang over me was so frustrating.

Here's an angry birds story for you. While I was in hospital for my TKR last summer, my husband was with me most of the time. While I would cat nap, he was playing angry birds. I kept waking up to the sound of "weeeee" and bought I was hallucinating at first until I figured out what he was doing!

I played two games on my iPad that kept me busy; flood it and pyramid, which is a card game like solitaire. I played flood it when I was getting 20 minutes of ice after pt. it's a fun game.

Seriously, just take it slow and easy. It gets better, although hard to see some days. I'm sure cute but useless cat was happy for the walk!!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Hi Dhare63/Dawn,
I know what you mean about those sound effects! I can only play angry birds with the sound off. I'm going to check out those other games now. I've already installed houzz. Thanks!

That dull haze is so thick, sometimes. I spent the morning writing cheques and paying bills. I was sharp enough to discover I'd been charged three times for the walker rental. Got that straightened out. Then I found another mistake the credit card company had made, so I phoned them. Spent 25 minutes on hold, and then the very nice gentleman explained how I was wrong. Oops. But, hey, it made the morning pass. But explain to me how this could make my leg ache and swell.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom