TKR Woohoo! Now I've got two!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi J, it's what I do for a living, providing counseling to people about their finances. I love it! But it's demanding work, not physically but mentally. I think by the time I can retire, my grey matter will be like silly putty!
 
Oh Dawn,

On second thought never mind! My grey matter has already gone to silly putty! :)

Judy, I hope you are doing well today!
 
Holy moley, all the brain power on your thread Judy!:happydance: I would have to add that I don't envy teachers or caregivers in this country, they are way too underrated and taken advantage of way too often and compensated way too little money to make up for it. They teach our young and take care of our ill, which for both jobs have to have heart and compassion. And those are the qualities that are taken advantage of! Shame!
 
So tired today. I think I have the work thing a tiny bit sorted out in my mind. I realized this when talking to someone about it today, and she mentioned all the ... that's happened or been done to me. I realized that isn't even foremost in my mind these days, but rather that I just don't think I can cope with the physical demands both while at work and all the extra stuff that has to be done outside of work hours. If I do have to go back sooner than I feel able to, I guess I'll just have to do my best. :cry: I see my surgeon tomorrow and will have to see what he thinks.
 
Well, I hope he is listening to you! Teaching is so demanding on the body! I walked in to volunteer at the Jr. High I last taught at for 6 years, and those teachers are already tired and beaten down by a top heavy administration that spends millions of dollars each year, only to throw those ideas out in a couple of years and pay millions more for the newest fad! Here's a novel idea.... Flip it from a top heavy admin that has no idea what really happens in the classrooms, to a task force of teachers in each school, deciding what is best, how to allocate the millions and so on! I have learned so much in my Master's course that I don't think I could ever watch the politics that happen in that school dictrict as a teacher! As a member of the community, I can see right through them, and the teachers are begging me to design the bottom up theory and present it to one of the school board members who used to be a teacher. Hmmmmm..... :wink: I don't know, I think my shyness gets in the way! :whistle:
 
Good luck with your OS today J, I hope he is in agreement that your return to work should be delayed. If not, as you said, do your best, which is all any of us can do. Will look forward to your report!

Be well,

Dawn
 
I'm with the others, I hope your doc sees it your way and postpones your return to work. Your OS has the power, and the school system wouldn't want to go against his/her professional opinion for fear of repercussions they may aquire from them forcing you to return to work too soon.
 
Just back from the doctor. He scoffed at the idea of my returning to work in a few weeks. Filled out form saying no sooner than January, possibly longer. Didn't even get into all my confusion etc., purely medical. I'm just slow, as he's pretty pleased overall, but did say I'm only "nine short weeks" along and shouldn't be thinking about much more than physio and slowly starting to increase ADLs. Also wrote prescription for physio to resume working on the first leg as well. So it was good. I am content.
I had physio immediately afterwards, then went to the grocery store for yogurt and grapes. And now I am going to have a nap!
 
Oh Judy!

That is absolutely terrific news! :yahoo: You deserve the extra time off! Teachers are under enough stress as it is when they are on two knees that feel good!
 
Relief has found you, congrats!! Now you have time to recover at a pace that suits you, not the system!

Awesome news, Dawn
 
Thanks, guys.
I do feel relief. I think it's mainly that I was not just being a wimp about not feeling ready. We didn't even get to that part of the discussion. We discussed both knees, went through my list of questions and concerns. Then the doctor asked about work, I told him the date, he said no way. And that was it, after all my angst!

The only nagging bit of not-happy is that I was right that I'm not physically ready. Yes, this makes as much sense as usual for me.

Sidebar related to our teacher rants: I know I've mentioned how the province has been dealing with us. It's been trying to strongarm the doctors too. But the big news is that our premier suddenly resigned the other day, possibly because so many of his policies like these are kind of backfiring on him. So my OS opened with how 'heartbroken' he is about this, sure that I shared his sentiment. :heehee: I really like this guy.
 
Well that's ok! My Neurologist and I were sharing our political views and who we both hope comes out on top in November's election! :)
 
A quiet day today. Had my ultrasound, which kind of hurt when the tech pressed. Threw up on the way home (sorry, TMI).

Have now told both brothers about the delayed return to work. Both were skeptically or hesitantly supportive. I guess they still think of me as the whiny little sister and don't really fully believe how hard this is. :headbang: Also chatted with the union guy; he at least asked questions, wanting to understand, and was quite shocked at what we go through in recovery. Most of my friends have been really supportive, especially those who saw me struggle last weekend!

Today I bought a floor lamp on a whim. (yes, I was shopping! Good walking shoes make a huge difference for me.) But I have to put the lamp together. Saw no way to do it but spread out the parts on the floor and get down there. Once again getting up was no problem at all. :yay: That's such a pleasant surprise. It's funny how what I think will be easy is often so hard, and what I think will be hard is often easy. Wish it were all easy, for all of us.
 
Ok, I need to know how you got up from the floor. I only had one knee done, and I'm scared to even try!!! Bravo!!
 
J, here's hoping you get results that are good! And congrats on the little victory! Celebrate when you can!

Be well,

Dawn
 
Ok, I need to know how you got up from the floor. I only had one knee done, and I'm scared to even try!!! Bravo!!
Okay, let me try this.

Have some support nearby, like a low table.
Turn a bit onto the operative side. Put the other leg, bent at the knee, over the TKR leg, foot firmly on the floor. Use one hand on the table, the other on the floor or leg, and push up. No serious pressure on the TKR side, no kneeling on it. :tada: The odd thing for me is I used my newer knee as the one to do the work of lifting/pushing. If you have someone who can be nearby, it might be wise. (I made sure I had the phone within reach, just in case I was stuck on the floor.)

Hope this helps.

I accept no legal liability if you try this and fall flat on your face, or knee. :whistle:
 
Well, you know what? I was thinking about it, and decided to "share" after all! I had a little touch of shyness :blush: , attack me. Anyway, here it goes! :whistle:

1. Make sure that your hubby hasn't finished the remodeling on the bathroom, or this won't be nearly as effective! My Master Bath is a work in progress, so the floor is cement so this situation applies to me! :umm:

2. Make sure that your feet are still wet when you step out of the shower and off the mat! (You must be in a hurry, because usually, you would grab the towel and dry off, and of course I was! :rotfl: )

3. Decide to put on clothes with feet still wet, that works reallllllyyyyyy well! (It helps to set up the next stage of the drama!)

4. After you have mastered the underwear, shorts, and bra, try moving, while putting your t-shirt on over your head. (Make sure you can't see, as you are moving, because then you might miss something!)

5. Have the bathroom scale placed strategically in your way as you are moving with wet feet to pull your shirt over your head! (Adds to the Drama!)

6. Find yourself tripping over scale and losing balance because feet are sliding out from under you! You naturally pitch forward and your knees and then somehow tailbone all land on the cement!

7. Listen to husband in bedroom ask if you are ok, after he hears big crash, and ask "what do you think?" (Forgetting that he is a man and that he takes me literally and that I have not screamed for help, he yells ok then, I will leave you alone!") Needless to say the next words I said brought him in quickly, but I Can't share those because they are in code! :rotfl:

Poppet, thought you might enjoy a little humor!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom