Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Hi @Pumpkln

Chris, I hope you don't mind but how old was your mom when she had it done? I want to ring mom later and tell her this. You are a star as always and I thank you xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, So glad you got some sleep and feel rested. I think I am going to try it. Most of the time I am out like a light. It's when I am so tired and have that late evening nap that throws everything off. I wake up wide awake and it is late. Tonight we had a power outage which occurs quite often in this town and it knocks everything out. So I lay in bed wide awake and after an hour poof the lights come back on. I guess I have gotten used to the computer putting me to sleep which is a bad habit. Again Ann so glad you found a way to get some good sleep. :yay::yay:
 
Hi @chestnc

It worked so well. After I'd posted , I dropped off to sleep again about 6.30 ish am and didn't wake up until 9.45 am. Wonderful xxx :chillpill::flwrysmile:

Love Ann xxxx
 
Oh great, isn't it great to have a good night's sleep. So restorative. Well done. I hope you're doing OK Ann. Time apart does us all good from time to time I'm sure. I'm sure you'll manage as you're a determined gal and you WANT to! You'll be like honeymooners when you meet up after a break (well, maybe!!!) AS far as coping on your own; I've a dear friend of just 90 who's just had a TKR and she's going to have to be on her own once she returns from convalescence which I fear will only be two weeks. Fortunately she has lots of friends.

@marmora - I'm quoting you as I thought that was just so thoughtful.
"Fear can manifest as anger and anger then can be destructive to a relationship.

When you're down and weary, you just want comfort,peace and understanding".


You're so right and I'm sure others found that helpful too.
 
Hello Ann @Nana moon 27 - how are you my old mate? Hope today is a bit better for you, as you sounded a bit less chipper than usual when I was away and read your posts. I'm glad you got stuff off your chest. People always assume that if you are usually cheerful and upbeat, you don't have down periods, and expect you to 'perform'. They are generally deeply shocked to realise that being the life and soul of the party is a cover and a public face that often hides what's really going on. I know this only too well.

Anyway - have you got rid of that hubby of yours? He will come back a new man from his fishing trip and be oh so very grateful .......... absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. Oops, on second thoughts perhaps you don't want him to show his fondness too much at the moment :rotfl:.
Shame you don't have a downstairs loo - it would make things so much easier. I know things are tight at the mo, but once everything is back to normal again could you not fit one under the stairs? My friend had one of those macerater loos put in her cupboard under the stairs, and it worked a treat. Meantime you could have a bucket in there ..... sorry Ann couldn't resist.
When my Mum fell and fractured her pelvis she had to have a commode downstairs as she had no downstairs loo in her house. I didn't know where to put it as the old man across the road, who used to post Mums letters and stuff would regularly look through the window and bang on the glass rather than ring the doorbell. I could just imagine her on 'the throne' with Dennis peering through the window. In the end I had to make an armchair 'cave' and site it in there so she was covered!!

As I have said already I have managed to come back with a cold - typical. Just doing the washing from our trip and have sent hubby to our other place as he has an early race in the morning, and he is like a vacuum cleaner with colds etc - picks up every one going. I have just posted a couple of photos on my thread if you are interested, as I didn't want to clutter yours.

Off to do the hand washing now - one day I will learn to buy things that just go in the machine!
Talk later

XXXX
 
Hi @dogwheels

Yes, I'm doing ok. Better after getting much needed sleep. The insomnia has been horrendous this time around.
He'll go on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning til Saturday. My eldest granddaughter will stay with me and go to and from school at mine X x x

I'm ever so glad that you had such a needful time in Budapest. I just showed my husband and daughters your pics. They are fabulous. The girls were sad about what had happened to those poor people. He was fascinated by how well the shoes were constructed and as he is a history buff, knew about the poor Jewish people and the river. Dreadful, barbaric.

Your first paragraph summed everything up so very well Chris xxx and you're right not too much fondness yet. Peace will be fantastic xxxx he's had 10 months of caring and that's enough for anyone when they're not used to it. We'd already discussed him going off for a break, before I went in hospital. However, at that time we thought I was having a straight forward procedure and out the next day. Of course having major surgery has put the kibosh on that xxxx

I had to smile at your moms temporary loo in an armchair cave. It wouldn't have done Dennis any good whatsoever to have seen your mom indisposed!!!

I have missed you. @DogLoverx3 is have sea, sand and cocktails xxx I hope she's having a great time. Her work life has been über busy!!!

Catch up later, the family is still here, take care


Love Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, seems like everything is always better once one has gotten enough sleep. I understand exactly what you mean when you said:
Our lives have literally turned upside down xxx
I have been there so many times and back. There were times I thought Geez how could all this be happening to me. But when I look around I have seen where another person has it much worse than myself. So I just deal with the hand I have been dealt with. and leave the rest to the "Man upstairs" (God), because that is all we can do.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mom's cataracts were fixed in her 70's, she is 91 now.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Well I've had a nice day today. My daughters came over and my husbands youngest sister. We sat and chatted and that was nice.

My husband is off for a well earned rest on Tuesday night to the caravan. He is going to catch the end of the fishing season and drain down the caravan for the winter. He is coming back on the Friday. It's his birthday on the Saturday x x my daughters are not impressed about this and don't think I should be on my own. I worked it so my eldest granddaughter stays the nights with me. That way I get up early have a shower and get dressed. Then we will have breakfast together. I take my meds. No problem. He has said he will cook a stew and curry etc before he goes and freeze them x x x he's had 10 months of the treadmill of looking after me after my TKR, doctors, hospital, chest clinic appointments. Then the whole recovery process starting all over again after the revision. He's had to do the shopping, cook most of the meals and been kept awake by my insomnia and crying with pain. We are both looking forward to this break. It will do both of us good.

Catch you later

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Ann - I'm glad you've rested and are feeling better. Probably best I not comment on the husband front as I invited my first one to leave! Sounds like you've got a plan though, good for you.
 
Hi @Nana moon 27. I just read some some your thread and you sure have been through the ringer!!! I have been reading your comments on many different threads and I have to say that you are such a sweet, caring person that I just had to stop by and introduce myself. Even though it will be hard with your hubby away, like you said it will be good for both of you. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Anne
 
Hi @Yorkimom

You are so kind in what you're saying to me. Thank you. Yes, I've been through the proverbial wringer and I needed people to realise that our husbands/partners get thrown Into the role of carer and don't always cope.

This I've found, upon reflection of the situation, often manifests itself in a bad or negative way. He cannot cope seeing me in pain and so immobile. He's always had a live wire wife, that juggled two jobs, house, bills, finances, supported my kids/grandkids and kept up my haven of a garden xxx the negative behaviour/responses were his shield.

I know in my heart my husband does love me but I couldn't go on with how things were going.i had to deal with it before it spiralled it of control and caused permanent damage to our relationship. I'm eternally grateful to him for supporting me as best he can. I do tell him this and he knows I appreciate it. It's been a very challenging recovery but since my revision, my knee feels different, better and I feel hopeful for the first time in 9 months xx

The consultant had told us both that I was going in for a straightforward procedure that would involve an overnight stay. We had discussed that my husband could have a much needed total break, up at the caravan for a week and go fishing. The idea was for him to have some down time out of the situation. He was really excited about this and then I ended up with revision, seven days in hospital and he just couldn't cope. He's been stuck with me since January. I totally get he needs a break from all of this.

Resentment builds up on both sides really. I was angry, frustrated with the situation I found myself in after the TKR. Then, when things went wrong, I failed to cope with adjusting to being at home. All I wanted was my mobility, independence and old routine back.

I get jealous of him because he can run up and downstairs like a mountain goat. He can jump into the car/van and go out independently and visit his family xxx I wouldn't wish this on him for the world xxx

Now we've both calmed down and cleared the air, things have improved dramatically and we are talking, actually having proper conversations. That's nice.

I have to go now. It's 5.45 am and I fell asleep into my iPad just. Speak soon. Thank you for getting in touch.

Love Nana moon 27 xxxxxxoxoxoxxxxxxxxxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Chihuahuan @DogLoverx3

A little true anecdote to make you smile. When I take my morphine, occasionally it causes me to have nightmares or hallucinate a bit. Things like water coming through the ceiling and worst one of all was a room full of big snakes.

Well, I'd taken my meds, dropped back off to sleep and when I awoke, standing in the bedroom doorway was the most beautiful Jack Russell cross. He was white with brown patches on his eyes and ears and the most beautiful pointy face. I stared and thought "what a beautiful dog" then I thought "silly moo, it's your morphine". It cocked it's head to one side and looked at me with the most beautiful brown eyes and I thought "this is no hallucination!" I said "oh, hello gorgeous boy" and it came towards me, wagged it's tail and let me scratch it behind it's ears. I thought this is real but where has it come from. My husband shouted up "have you got an unexpected visitor?" I shouted back "yes, and he's so beautiful. Please tell me you've bought him for me as a surprise!" In those few seconds I'd convinced myself he was mine. My husband shouted up "no my mates here,it's his moms dog" well knowing that this guys mom is 94, I shouted down "does she need to re home him then?" They both laughed loudly. His mate shouted up "no, she's gone to Lourdes with my sister, I'm looking after him while she's away".

I got up, washed and dressed rather gutted and disappointed but no way was I going to miss out on being able to fuss the little dog, who by now had gone back downstairs. When I went down, I perched myself on the arm of the furniture and he came up, jumped at the side of me and snuggled up to me having his ear scratched. Well I had to laugh, because my husband said to his mate " that dogs had more fuss in the last five minutes than I've had in a month!"

Oh I would so love another dog x x x x just a small one like that or a cross chihuahua, cross Bichon anything small that I'd be able to walk x x x my friend on the caravan sites dog is a cross Yorkshire terrier/Bichon Frise. Absolutely fabulous dog xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxo
 
@Nana moon 27 I loved your story. I can hear how much you want another dog. They are such wonderful companions. I don't know what I would do without my little Rusty. He's only six pounds, but he lets you know he's here. Around 20 years we had a Jack Russell Terrier named Tricky. She was a sweetheart. My father-in-law owned racehorses and Jack Russell's were always at the track. A friend of his had two they were trying to find a home for. My in-laws had seven acres and we had built a house next to theirs. He brought the dogs home...one for him and one for us. Theirs was a male named Casper. While ours looked like the regular Jack....lean, white with brown spotting. Casper on the other hand had short legs, was stout and was completely white except for a brown circle around his eye. They were great dogs with lots f energy and lots of love to give. I hope you get your wish and get another dog. Anne
 
I'm seeing the OS tomorrow, a mere three weeks after my op. Unheard of normally. He's keeping avery close eye on me indeed. I will post when I get back. It will be my first journey outside this house since my operation and I'm looking forward to getting out even if it is purely for this appointment. I've told my hubby we have to stop off on the way back at the doctors to collect my prescription and sick note xxxx

Take care all
Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Nana moon 27 We are so fortunate in the US that we have greater access to our surgeons or their nurse practitioners. I imagine when they do a revision in the UK that it is put in a different category other than a routine procedure --not that there is anything routine about a TKR! I hope you will ask him about what he saw inside your knee and why the spacer needed to be replaced -- it's my scientist-side that likes to know all the ins and outs of such things.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again @Nana moon 27. Another Dogwheels family phrase, my Nan's this time (she was a hilarious Cockney and had a fund of them that have my daughter in stitches .... we both love using them). A 3 week OS follow up? 'Well I go to the foot of our stairs!' Amazing!

I'm with your daughter on this one, there is a cover up going on and a 'keep Mrs G sweet and happy' offensive. @Chihuahan is absolutely right - don't let him off the hook easily, and find out exactly what he did and why. @Chihuahan has erudite scientific interest, I and most others just want the gory details of what he didn't do right the first time and what he then had to put right. It is so unusual to get such treatment on the NHS, so make the most of it and pump him for all the info he will give. I know you are just grateful that things seem to be going well now, but any info he can give you may put your mind at rest in the coming weeks if you get the odd twinge. You can reconcile it with what he has done. Do you reckon there is any chance he'll agree to phasing out the morphine? I do so hope so as it will be one step closer to getting back to normal and driving again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom