Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

@nanamoon good luck with your drs appt. Hope everything works out. And glad hubby going with you
@dogwheels. Tea?? I would have went straight for the vodka. You poor thing. Just when things look good you get smacked in the face with something worse. But the trooper you are you will find a way to move forward ( literally )!❤️❤️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I met the surgeon who for some reason thought it was my six week check up. I said not it's only three weeks. I found this strange myself. Anyway, he examined my knee, he moved it about, got me to bend which he said was a good 90-100 degrees already and my leg was undoubtedly straighter. He was very impressed with how the scar had healed. My husband questioned him about what he's done to it. He said my original knee cap was too thick and was catching and grinding away in the knee joint. The reason he hadn't changed it in the first place was to reduce the amount of foreign body in my knee. What???? A whole knee as opposed to a Kneecap??? Less foreign body, hardly. He told my husband that they replaced the spacer in the joint. He was happy with my recovery so far, my husband was happy enough with the responses to his questions. He also asked me what exercises I was doing. I said Only heel slides lying on the bed, quad presses into the bed and heel slides seated in a chair. I said I was waiting until my physio appointment on the 24th before I did anything further. I explained about the fact I have to so stairs a few times a day. I walk round the house every day. I counted that as exercise aside from the other stuff I was doing. He agreed totally with this.

While I was there, I told him what had happened regarding my other knee at the other hospital. I told him how they'd promised in February to do another x ray in September and check for deterioration. If it wasn't too bad they'd try to save the joint. I told him how when I got there in September I was fobbed off and told that I'd been discharged into his care. He was really surprised and asked if I could remember the date of the X-ray, which I did. He brought it up, frowned and said that in all honesty there's no gap between the cap and the joint or patella and something there was scarcely any cartilage left. He said that he was going to be straight again with me. All he could offer is am arthroscopy and a good look around the inside of the joint but eventually it's going to need replacing. I told him I'm not in any rush to go through this procedure in a hurry. He laughed and said that we would get this one healed fully first, then do the arthroscopy after he sees me January and puts me on the list for it. He was more than happy to have me as his patient. He even pointed out on the X-rays the deterioration to my husband. His poor face fell. I could see what was going through his head poor love!!!

He said I have to stay on the morphine but think I should be able to start reducing after four weeks as long as my pAin levels are stable.

I ever so tired. I didn't sleep well last night. So, I'm going to have a nap before my gr ad daughter get here. Hubby goes away tonight. Now it's come to it, I don't want him to go, but I know he needs his head space x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Nana moon 27 Pleased you got through that appointment, I must read your thread, was it the same OS that did the TKR? The other knee too, oh dear.
Take care in this recovery and I hope you manage whilst your Dh is away, mine has to have breaks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've had to ice and elevate tonight cost I hurt my knee on moms stairs coming down from the loo when we popped in from the docs xxx her cataract surgery is a success I'm pleased to report.

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Dabber

Yes it was the same surgeon who did the TKR. I'm in no hurry whatsoever, to undergo this again too soon. We will see. Fate, no doubt will decide that for me xxx

My granddaughter has gone to bed she has school in the morning xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, wow seems like you had a day today, but glad you got some answers and do feel better. You come down off the Morphine when you can. Don't feel like there is a rush. Glad Mom is doing well with the cataract surgery. Hope you get some sleep tonight. You are probably don't feel too well may missing hubby. No worries the days will go fast and he will be home before you know it. You know absence makes the heart grow fonder.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ann, @Nana moon 27

What a day you had with your visit to the surgeon! I'm glad you got some answers from him concerning what he did and also that you managed to get your other knee assessed. Now you have some sort of a plan! It sounds as if your knee is progressing well this time. 90 degrees already! :yay:

It's strange how surgeons differ in their ideas. I asked my surgeon if he resurfaced my knee caps (he did both knees, 2+ years apart). He said that he prefers to always do the kneecap at the first operation, as it means he doesn't have to go back later and do a second operation. I guess you could argue for and against that:
  • "If the kneecap cartilage is not damaged, why replace it?" or
  • "If the kneecap is going to need resurfacing in the future, why not do it now?"
I'm not saying either choice is absolutely correct and I think it does depend on individual circumstances.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm absolutely exhausted physically. I've taken my meds. My knee really hurts me tonight. OUCH! With the Achilles Tendinitis.
My granddaughter had a bit of a shock tonight. I was late going to bed after taking my strong meds and I was kind of seeing things as usual. Anyhow she helped me get on to my bed and left me to get undressed. She's now at the side of me texting her friends. She was worried about me, I explained what was happening and why. She insisted staying with me for a while on my bed. I've told her she has to go to bed in a minute. She's got school in the morning and I don't want her tired or stressed out xxx

I hear you loud and clear as regards wanting to do so much more. I am the same. However, I struggled with the 40 minute drive to the hospital with my husband. The pain was awful after about fifteen minutes. By the time we got there oh wow it hurt. The same happened coming home. I know I've overdone it today and tomorrow I must rest. I couldn't believe I had a follow up appointment only three weeks post op and my physio appointment all booked for 24th of this month which is four weeks post op x x x it's unheard of to get treatment like this on our NHS normally xxx

My boss is coming to visit tomorrow and collect my sick note off me. She's text tonight to confirm this. She told me to hang on to it so she had an excuse to come and see me! I know she'll cheer me up, we get on very well Xxxx

I am struggling a little at home when I'm alone but if I take my time I do manage. My daughters popped in tonight as well and made me eat even though I wasn't hungry. I had no choice because of taking my strong meds. If I don't eat I vomit because of them.

I am enjoying the peace but will be glad when he comes back to be honest.

Anyway everyone it's lovely to hear from you all.
Please take care
Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry the posts are lacking today. This is the first day I've had to fend for myself, alone all day and also my boss came over. That went really well xx she bought me flowers and cream cakes, some cookies for the grandkids. We had a lovely chat. After she left, I went into the fridge and got some spaghetti bolognaise and pasta. It was delicious.

I'm so tired I'm about to go off to sleep. I am fine xxxx

Love Ann xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight I am in pain but refuse to increase the morphine. I've taken 80 mg today in total. I don't like taking any more xxx so, I'm playing games on my iPad Candy Crush, Bubble Witch, Mystery Manor, Midnight Castle, Candy Mania, Diamond Digger to name a few, alongside Scrabble, Solitaire and Mahjong x

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've been moaning about my hips. In particular the TKR side. The bones hurt all round the joint. If still bad Monday I will go docs with it xxxx
 
My boss came today in her brand new shiny red Mini Clubman, ooh it looks good. She bought me the most beautiful flowers, cream cakes and two packets of cookies for my grandchildren. She arrived about 12.30, said she'd only stay half an hour. She made the coffee and washed the cups. She left at 2pm. We had a lovely chat. She said how much I was missed at work and how people keep asking how I am and when I'm going back. She was very concerned at me being alone today but I explained there was fresh food in the fridge that I could simply reheat. She said she didn't like the thought of me having no one around. I reassured her that I was ok and would be going to bed once she'd gone xx

She took my sick note away with her and said if there is anything anytime I need, to just ring her. Bless her!!!

I am exhausted, I am in pain, I should take an extra 10mg morphine but I don't want to xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ann, I'm so sorry about your pain tonight, I hope the extra meds help. Your chat with your boss sounds like a nice break for you, wasn't that kind of her bringing all those goodies?
We met up with some friends we met in France this year at the show today, just for a short time, over a cup of tea. Chatting to people does take our minds off of our knees for a while. With best wishes for a good nights sleep for you, xxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom