Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Hi DogLoverx3, yeah she did overstay it a bit but I didn't mind because she is on her own and gets lonely. She does a full time job at work and volunteers at a local children's hospital working with the children and sometimes on the internal radio station. She even went in on Christmas Day bless her. I've chilled out as much as I could. Had husband wait on me too!!! Watched tv played Candy Crush (again!). Answered phone call off my mom and my friend from North Wales. After my work mate left I went back upstairs rest elevate ice and woohoo an hours sleep!!! I'm glad you left your taxes and did some cooking. I might make a banana cake tomorrow have to see how I feel. Got PT 2.30 pm. Have left off 10ng of my Morphine off tonight because each time I take it I feel sick which tells me it's too high a dosage. Haven't heard back off Josephine yet. Tbh it was a heck of an essay, so I might use the quotes from her post and answer them individually so it makes more sense x x x x hugs x x xoxo
 
1. what are your pain levels right now?
It was a painful 6/7 however tonight it is about 3
2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
I take Morphine 40mg am, 50 mg pm. Have reduced 50 down to 40 tonight due to nausea after taking this
3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?
I would say every 1or2 hrs for half hour
4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
Every hour for half hour and try to sleep elevated as much as possible.
5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.
I make odd cups of tea, dusting, still can't shop or drive so my husband does that along with heavier domestic duties like the vacuuming. I have been doing daily walks as advised one house, return, next day two houses return, then three houses return. I got up to six but I had to stop for last three days as knee too painful and stiff. Then there are the stairs, twelve in total with a wind at the bottom and the top. There is a partial banister on the right hand side as you go up. There is no handrail. I've been going up about eight times a day.
6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often?
I do all set exercises twice a day reps of 5. I'm supposed to do more but honestly Josephine I am doing my best but it's so much. I do knee bends on the bed x 5, knee bends on the chair x 5, passive knee stretches with towel under heel for three minutes and it really hurts when I do it, the PT's want five minutes!!! Then I do inner quads exercise with a rolled up towel underneath the back of my knee x 5, static quad exercise x 5, straight leg raises x 5. The I have the chair exercise which is like a hamstring stretch seated and pushing knee down with my hand and straight leg raises.

Thank you Josephine, I hope this is more easy to understand love Nana Moon27
 
It was a painful 6/7 however tonight it is about 3. I take Morphine 40mg am, 50 mg pm. Have reduced 50 down to 40 tonight due to nausea after taking this
I suggest you have a chat with your GP and ask if you can try Tramadol and paracetamol instead. It's a much better pain med for knees anyway.
Icing: I would say every 1 or 2 hrs for half hour
Every hour for half hour and try to sleep elevated as much as possible.
Half an hour is nowhere near enough to have any benefit, Do it constantly, every time you are resting, have your leg up and ice on!
I have been doing daily walks as advised one house, return, next day two houses return, then three houses return. I got up to six but I had to stop for last three days as knee too painful and stiff. Then there are the stairs, twelve in total with a wind at the bottom and the top. There is a partial banister on the right hand side as you go up. There is no handrail. I've been going up about eight times a day.
My dear girl! That's far too much! Who ever told yo to that? Read this Activity progression for TKRs to see what you should be doing. And with all those stairs, you don't really need to do any additional walking at all!

As for these exercises .... :doh:

I do all set exercises twice a day - do them once a day (what remains, anyway!)
- knee bends on the bed x 5 - knee bends on the chair x 5 - either one OR the other, not both
- passive knee stretches with towel under heel for three minutes - don't do these until week 6 if then
- inner quads exercise with a rolled up towel underneath the back of my knee x 5 - don't do these until week 6 if then
- static quad exercise x 5 - don't do these until week 6 if then
- straight leg raises x 5 - do 3 once a day
- hamstring stretch seated and pushing knee down with my hand - don't do these until week 6 if then

I'm supposed to do more but honestly Josephine I am doing my best but it's so much.
Yes, it is all far too much, especially with inadequate pain meds. How often do you go to physio? Do they know how much you are doing on the stairs ?

Remember this - it's your choice what exercises you do and you're not obliged to follow the physios so closely in this. A great number of surgeons' protocols specifically forbid any but the minimal of gentle and simple exercises for the first three weeks. They believe it should be dedicated to rest and healing .

There is no rush to get started on exercises and these surgeons actually believe (which is true) that it can be harmful if overdone as the consequent swelling and pain will stall the recovery and cause problems. My surgeon uses this protocol and does very few MUAs as a result. You might like to read the potted version of my recovery to see how little exercising I did! Knee recovery - UK style
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:thud::iagree::console2: I got kinda tired just reading the list of all you do. I hope you take Josephine's advice and give yourself a well deserved break ((hugs))
 
@Josephine thank you so very very much for your help. I will try and see the GP ASAP to change my meds. You know what? When I wrote down all I was doing I thought omg I didn't actually realise how much I was doing. All the exercises I mentioned are what the physios expect because of this ridiculous enhanced recovery service/programme that's is ongoing in Birmingham at the moment! I have physio once a week. I read with great interest all you had to say and loved your story about getting home and feeding the cats etc. That made me so laugh because that us exactly his cats are! As well you know! You did marvellously well I have to say. I can totally see why you recommend more gentle stuff. I have taken a slightly reduced dose of morphine and do not feel nauseous at all thank goodness. Once again bless you and thank you xxxx
 
DogLoverx3 I'm not ay all surprised that you were tired reading all I do. It made me feel worm out reading it.. I have to say thank goodness for Josephine, she is an amazing woman an example to us all!!! Her posts made brilliant reading I really enjoyed them. I'm going to cut myself some slack now and take things easier. There is no hurry to get back to work it's all covered, I've taken a back seat now where my grown up family are concerned. I had my eldest young. My children are two girls one boy aged 36, 34 and 32 years old respectively, I have five grandchildren aged 7,8,13,17 & 18 - two girls, three lads. They are all lovely and have supported me ever so well the two eldest (grandsons) wAnt to take me out for a special treat at a very nice Chinese restaurant they know (their treat!) when I'm well enough. Trouble is since this op I'm not eating anywhere near what I ate before ( that won't hurt though). There's not many 17&18 yr olds that would want to take grandma out ha ha!!!! I hope those gorgeous dogs of yours are being good and keeping you company. Love and hugs from NanaMoon27 xoxox
 
Nana, I do love your attitude! You're such a sweetheart!

I think they are doing some research in Brum - I was almost in on it but pulled out when I found out how much time was involved. Also I wasn't too keen on the 'intensive' part of the package - for obvious reasons!
 
@Josephine if they are researching experiment ting call it what they will! It may explain my two long front teeth and furry body (guinea pig?) ha ha ha xxxx
 
I love that your grandsons want to take you to dinner!!! That's awesome. My ex bf (boyfriend/best friend) has a 16 year old son who has just about the biggest heart of anyone I've ever met and still checks in on me to see if there is anything he can do to help. Pre surgery, he used to just pop by for a visit too! Made me want to cry every single time. Some of these kids today are sweeter and more empathetic than many adults!

I'm SO GLAD that Josephine got thru to you and you're going to slow the heck down!! Although I've been working, I have yet to walk anywhere outside the house unless I have to. So surprising that they had you adding 1 house a day. You'd be blocks away by week 2! :shocked:

Your family sounds lovely and I'm glad they're close by and supportive. Sounds like you did an amazing job raising them!

I'm glad you're not worried about rushing back to work. I read Josephine's story too and boy do I feel like a big ole' whiner by comparison. She did it all on her own as well and even carried her own luggage! :umm:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!
 
Awwww DogLoverx3 you are so right about some if these kids having such big hearts. The thing is these days not much attention is paid to the good they do only the bad stuff which is a shame. I'm glad you still are in touch with your exes son. He sounds lovely and very caring x he obviously holds you in high regard. Did you see the pic Josephine sent me I couldn't stop laughing xxxx
 
@Josephine and @DogLoverx3 you two have made me so cheery thank you. I'm lovely and relaxed now due to the hilarity of the pics and outer lovely lovely chats. Bless you both. goodnight xoxoxo:thankyou::friends::sleep:
 
You are one sweet lady, Nana Moon 27. I am glad that we 'met' on here. Funny how you can identify with and form a comaradarie (sp?) with someone you've never met. You have been a lovely support for me as well, so thank you! I'm glad you're feeling good and cheered tonight. As I think it's @ 2:30am there, I hope you sleep well my friend.

And yes, I saw the picture that Josephine posted - VERY funny..... and true to her spirit
 
Hi DogLoverx3, I've had a much better day. I went to physio and the girl is lovely and said not to over do things and if I didn't feel up to it that was ok. I told her she's the first physio I've ever met to have such a lovely approach!!! Anyway we went into the gym today and I really enjoyed it!!! She was pleased as my ROM has gone from 85 last week to 95 today! I have to go back on Friday and do you know what? I don't mind at all!!! I took on board the advice both you and Josephine gave me and it's paying off. I'm going to attempt to get in and see my GP tomorrow to see about changing meds x I hope you've managed to get some rest and naps in between! And yes it's so lovely that we have met like this and like you say the camaraderie we've firmed us wonderful....bless you x chat later xxx :bicycle1: This was me in the gym well nearly it was on a road to nowhere ha ha!!!!!
 
:dancy::dancy: 95 ROM :dancy::dancy: Way to go! That's awesome!!! So glad you liked the therapist you met with this morning and that things went well! It really does make all the difference. That's terrific about the bike too (nice helmet, btw) :-) I'm glad you're slowing down a little. Your knee will absolutely reward you for it!

Good luck getting into your GP tomorrow too. I bet once you get your pain meds sorted out, things will just keep getting better and better! xoxo
 
Oh I hope so. I love it when I get this feeling of hope. It's just that I know at the drop of a hat it can all change. I'm resting upstairs drinking Pepsi max. I can smell a roast dinner cooking yummy!!!!! Anyway how are you? Xox xoxox
 
Glad today is an UP day for you! Try to hang on to it for as long as you can and know that there will be more in the future. It's very overcast here today and darn it, so am I, again. I'm currently wandering around the house with an ice pack and a heating pad for my back trying to find a comfortable spot with no luck yet. Enjoy your rest and your Pepsi! Yummy on the roast!

I need to deliver food to my older couple in a bit and then off to PT later this afternoon. I have a follow up with my OS in the morning. Hopefully he'll wave a magic wand and make everything (including my attitude) all better. ;-) xoxo
 
The roast was deeeelicious yummy. I have so praised him over this. Again here it's been cold but sunny. I'm always better when the sun shines it seems to affect my mood x please let me know how you get on with the PT xoxox
 
I'm still giggling over Josephine's pic she sent last night...hilarious even now ha ha !!!! Xxx
 
Back
Top Bottom