Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Hi @Nana moon 27 - off you go and have a nice sleep, you must need it. I'll be around later so can catch up then.

Brilliant news about your knee procedure, but not so with the chest clinic and I am getting steadily more cross with your GP. I was telling my physio about all the problems you have had and the first thing she said is that morphine will be making your chest problems so much worse in and her opinion is the worst thing you could be taking. Still your hands are effectively tied aren't they? I am sure once you get that chest clinic apt they will be changing your meds immediately.
Talk later
XXXX
 
I cannot believe your GP will not listen to you - the morphine most certainly can, and clearly is, making your lung issues worse and it doesn't even sound as if it actually helps when you take it! Personally I'd ditch the morphine and stock up on margarita mix, it would probably help more and be a lot more fun.
 
My goodness Ann. I wonder if going directly to A&E one morning (early so not many others there) might be the answer to get your chest looked at by someone different and, hopefully, get a second opinion also about that morphine. Summat's up that's for sure and your GP doesn't sound as if he's on to it. Y
Good job you've got an appnt to get that drain done, can't help but wonder when it might have come through if you hadn't phoned! Now the mixture of tablets is clearly getting to you. Whatever is he (your GP) up to! What is the morphine for? Do you really feel you need it to the extent you're losing your health generally? 19th June is quite a long wait in itself. Good grief.
 
@nanamoon. Is so unreal that you have been taking morphine all these months. Here in the states they put you on a morphine pump for the 3 days in hospital and that's it!! I'm still taking oxi but only 1 pill a day. Feel like I left hospital and rehab as a junkie wanting more. I've been filling In with Advil which to me is better than anything! But don't tell my stomach lining that.I am more concerned about your breathing than your knee...do they have symbacort
In pill form. That's what I took when my breathing is real bad from bronchitis along with advaire inhaler. I used it in rehab and hospital, kept telling them I lost it and came home with 4 extra inhalers. Big savings. Knee acting a little crazy probably because of the weather we are having rain, humidity cloudy I guess it's kinda of like England's weather
Take care coffee buddies, just finishing up my cup if joe with all of you.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@dogwheels you are so right. I have asked for a short notice cancellation x x x I'm praying they find me a slot. My daughter and grandchildren are here now so I'm going to go now. I will definitely chat to you properly later. Thank you so much Chris your a good true friend x x x
 
Hi @Judlepip I am on a high dose of morphine because I'm still in the most awful pain. I can't face our A&E here. Y end up leaving with more than you went with. They're not pleasant. I weaned off them twice and went to my go asking for alternative meds and he told me off for coming off a perfectly good effective painkiller that worked for me. I became resistant to Tramadol, dihydrocodeine etc before the op!!! Xxxx
 
Ann,
As you know I have asthma and have been very concerned about your asthma symptoms.
I took it upon myself to look up morphine, respiratory depression is a side effect, with a warning for people with asthma. My source was Medscape, using the app on my iPod touch.

I use a rescue inhaler, long acting inhaler, steriod inhaler, and accolate, that I take daily. I also drink coffee in the morning, and as needed day or night, caffeine is a bronchiodialator. At least one of my medications is enjoyable.

I also have sleep apnea, my CPAP machine records data. While I was in hospital, and on oxycodone at home, my AHI was 2.5, indicating I had some respiatory depression, my normal AHI is 1. Anything under 5 is considered OK so I did not worry. AHI = Apnea hypoxia index.
The night of my surgery my AHI popped up to a whopping 12, Yikes. Only one night, but you can see the effect medications can have.
I am also on 2.5 liters of oxygen at night, for some reason I desaturate at night, but am fine during the day with good numbers. Nope they cannot figure out why?

Sorry for boring you with all this information, but I do believe the morphine may be depressing your breathing, and just wanted to demonstrate how narcotics have affected my breathing, and possibly yours.

If I was you, I would ask for a nebulizer for breathing, for a sleep study to rule out sleep apnea, and to find out if you are desaturating at night. In addition to all the other respiatory testing they need to do.

The way I see it, getting to the bottom of why you have knee pain will resolve these problems, in the meantime you have to deal with all of these effects. :hairpulling: :holysheep::banghead::tantrum2::cry:

On the lighter side, the weather here is beautiful today, and is supposed to be over the weekend.
Please take care, and enjoy your grandchildren :loveshwr:.
 
@Nana moon 27 I feel so worried about you as I read your post. I want you well! I wish you deep rest. The asthma concerns me a lot. I am so confused as to why your doc won't try a different med. I hold you close right now as I think of you. Many dear thoughts and prayers Ann.
 
Hi @hopefaith

I had taken so many different medications pre operatively, that I seemed to become resistant to them. I had Co codamol all strength, then they tried me on Tramadol that did nothing. I was given dihydrocodeine still no good and so the list went on! In the end they put me in 30 mg Zomorph a day. I now take 90mg per day. I hate it. If you look on dogloverx3thread, I've explained a lot in there to her x I cannot take NSAIDs due to my asthma. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, you are a good and very kind, caring person x x x
 
@Nana moon 27 I wish I knew what those meds. were. Meds have different names country to country. I worked with a lot of pain management patients, but I don't know those meds. by those names. I really wish I did . I just think there are many options. I really hear and care about your frustration. I cannot even imagine. I am glad you have solid dates for your appt. and procedure. I just wish they were SOONER! I have trouble wrapping my brain around an appt. that has to do with breathing being that far out! I hope you don't feel blamed. I think we are all frustrated with you and that is coming out in our posts. We care so much about what is happening with you. X X X. ~~Hopefaith
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Morning all. I have got up this morning and I feel like I can breathe better for the first time in weeks! Thinks it's that new tablet the doc gave me yesterday. My peak flow is up 350 without the medication. Going to have a lazy pottering about day today.

Will post later and @Pumpkln I wish we could all have a magic wand to banish all our aches, pains and troubles away too. You're so right x x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
Hi all. Yes I am a bit better in myself as for the first time in months I feel like I can get air properly into my lungs x I'm convinced though that the morphine has caused bronchospasm and this new tablet which is a bronchodilator has relieved it. I mentioned the possibility again about bronchospasm to my GP yesterday but he was adamant that it wasn't. Anyway, I know that when I do get to see the chest clinic, I'm pretty certain that they will confirm what we all suspect here!!

Well today the weather is really weird , warm and sunny one minute, followed by torrential rain. It would not surprise me if we didn't get a thunderstorm later.

My poor garden caught out a bit while I was away. They didn't water it when we had the really hot spell for a few days. Quite a few of my plants have shrivelled but my deadheading and watering seems to be paying off and they're picking back up again. I have not said anything to the girls. I'm just grateful they checked on the house and post. They even freshened the place up and vacuumed so it looked nice when we came in. Bless them!

I'm going out to replenish the bird feeders now so I'll post you all later x x x

Keep posting

Love Nana moon 27 x x x xx
 
Oh @Celle
Out of curiosity how long did it take your right knee to get some sort of normality? How long before it became your good leg? I know we're all different but I'm just asking x

I hope your LTKR goes well if you go ahead with it. I'm glad you have a provisional date just in case. That's nice to have things in place like that.

My left (non TKR ) knee is playing havoc the last couple of weeks. It wasn't bone on bone in February but there was only a little cartilage left. They are reviewing it in September. I was offered injections for the pain in it but when I said I have no pain , the doc was surprised. However, thinking about it Im on a high dose of morphine, which would mask it. Trouble is now that the pain is coming through the morphine. They have said that if there is not too much deterioration showing in the next X-ray compared to the previous one from the osteoarthritis, they'll try to preserve it.

It's lovely to hear from you Caryl and I'm so glad the posts entertain you.

Love Nana moon 27 Ann xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ann,
I think it was about a year before I started to forget about the right knee. It all just happened so gradually, until one day I realised that I wasn't mollycoddling it any more. As the left knee deteriorated, I found myself leading with the new knee - and so it goes!

I think that a couple of falls helped, too. In one, I landed on my TKR knee. While I had some soft tissue bruising and swelling, I realised that the implant itself was strong.

I do hope that you can get your knee and chest problems sorted out. It must be quie disheartening for you right now! :console2:
 
So glad to hear you can breathe!! Breathing is necessary for good sleep and sleep for healing - hoping you get a dose of both.

My last thought on the pain med situation - would your doctor "humor" you by giving you a script for one of the meds that used to work?
 
Hi @TexasTee, he can't do that. The reason why I was on morphine preoperatively was because I resisted all he was able to prescribe within the limits of my asthmatic condition. However, preoperatively I was on 30 mg morphine, now I'm on 90mg post op. Definitely not right! Xxx
 
I'm scared to say this but all I've taken today (pain meds) so far is 30 mg Morphine and 2 paracetamol. I feel okay. I slept because I could breathe properly. Just as @Pumpkln said oxygen levels are crucial to sleep. This proves that the new asthma tablet is working fantastically. I woke up this morning and my peak flow was 400! Wow. After medication 450. No wonder I'm feeling so good x x
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom