Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

@nana moon. Hi why are you still up. The time reads 4:30am. Is that your time. Uneventful day at doctors. The only problem was sitting and waiting for 1/2 hr then couldn't get up. That was embarrassing. But I thought I could just run into a small little store to buy some fruits and veggies...not a good idea. Knee hurting so bad when i got home..at least I had something to eat oh did I mention ice cream better than meds.... It's freezing here in ny the weather is really coming in like a lion. Guess u do miss preschool teaching
Have a good day/ night everyone. Sleep tight :)
 
Hi @susanne it is now 4.50 am here. I've woken up in discomfort. Not pain as such but really bad stiffness and swelling, which is really a form of pain I guess. Worse still I really want a cup,of tea, I need my ice pack but the thought of going down those wretched stairs. I really don't want to wake up my husband. But as I'm lying here doing heel slides while I'm posting I'm very aware of how stiff and uncomfortable it is.

So, I'm going to have to go get the ice. I don't want to but i need too. Might as well make that much needed cuppa xox

It is embarrassing when you can't get up properly esp in public. Ooh and ice-cream, I agree' is a marvellous cure all!!!

Chat later

Love Ann x x x
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, I always used to have a cool bag by the side of my bed, lined with large ice packs, and then I'd put the ice packs I'd be using inside, so they were there, handy for when I needed them in the night. It doesn't help with the cup of tea I'm afraid, but it would stop a trip downstairs. We did resurrect our ancient Teasmaid from the loft when we retired, but it is so noisy, I think it would wake the neighbours. We are still in separate rooms, (with visiting rights :heehee:), and I am sleeping so well now (I managed 8 hours non stop last night) I'm almost reluctant to go back again. We have hired a holiday cottage in Cornwall in a couple of weeks time, so I think we'll be back together then, I'll see how that goes.
I'm having a non exercise day today, I have done a lot this week, I'm going o craft club this morning, then I'm meeting my ex teaching assistant for tea and a catch up this afternoon. She and I worked side by side for twelve years and probably saw more of each other than we did of our husbands, but now we've both retired I see very little of her. She also had to have a TKR, it must be those tiny chairs. Have a good day xxx Lyn
 
Big mistake yesterday. So don't do what i did. I totally overdid it for me. I thought by doing the housework etc instead of exercises it would be better. The only positive from yesterday was the mental high and a lovely clean house.

My knee hurts, it's stiff and swollen and my hip hurts. I never get hip pain. I fully intended to go get ice, cup tea etc after posting to susanne but I couldn't face it and somehow dropped back off to sleep. Now I'm paying for it. I hurt. I'm going to wake up my husband and ask him to sort these things out for me x and yes he'll huff and puff but I don't care as long as I get what I need.

I have a colleague/work mate coming to see me just before lunch. So I need to get this pain managed so I can wash my hair etc. .

I hope you all slept well and look forward to reading your posts.

Love Ann x x x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Ellejay that's a good idea. I'll try that tonight. I too am in a separate bed still too. Like you, I shall be away in two weeks as our caravan site opens and we shall share a bed then. The only plus side is that there is another bedroom so if it doesn't work out one of us can move x x x

I hope you enjoy your tea and catch up with your TA. It's nice to catch up like that. I'm still in touch with some of the girls from the nursery I worked at and it's great catching up. I'm serious when i say this. The nursery manager has quite literally asked me to go back as herDeputyManager five times. She has finally realised that now I've had this done I could never go back. To be honest, I worked so hard to get where I am now, I would never have gone back, although as I said before I miss working with the children.

Have a fantastic day love Ann x x x x c
 
I need your advice please @Josephine

I am now 9weeks into recovery and still not really progressed as far as I feel I should. I am not driving because of still being on morphine. The GP will not budge on this because he says why change pain relief that is working.

Stupidly, yesterday I chose to do housework instead of exercise as I thought of it as another form of it. Well that was yet another foolish mistake because today the knee feels like it has a big ball of swelling just behind the kneecap and above the knee cap.

Bearing in mind Josephine, that two weeks ago you suspected I might have Tendinitis from walking up the stairs on my operated leg and hurting it, I suspect I may have aggravated that. How long does it normally take to recover from Tendinitis? Im going back to my GP on Monday because I feel so on my own now as in not knowing what's right and what's not and what should I be doing since being discharged from the group Physio.

Thanks Josephine
Love Nana moon 27
 
@Nana moon 27 Tendinitis can take anything from a couple of weeks to three months to settle. It's not a very predictable thing. I think you are thinking too much about all this - as most people tend to! Don't forget you are only 10 weeks out so still in the early days of recovery. You just need to take it easy and take things gently. Stop beating your head against the wall and asking "when will recovery be here!" :headbang: It'll come when it comes!
 
Ups and downs like you're dealing with are so normal--and like Josephine says it's easy to overthink. We think by 10 weeks shouldn't we be recovered? when really we know we're only a few laps in.
 
@Nana moon 27 Sorry your knee became stiff and sore --I think that's quite normal for where you are in recovery --just frustrating. My knee is 24 days older than yours and still has it's moments--especially going down stairs or slopes! Tight band feeling is much better. It truly takes a year or so for full recovery. I think we all just hope that it comes sooner than that and eventually get on with life regardless.
 
@kneeper thank you. I'm getting worried as I'm due back at work in two weeks and I'm nowhere near right. The one job I could maybe do at a big push, the other one I need to be fitter for x x x I have to see my GP before than so I'll see what he says x x x I can't return to work until I'm off the morphine. I can't come off the morphine until the pain and the swellings gone x x x
 
Thanks @Chihuahuan. It's nice to be reassured. I know I'm not the only one like me but I truly am getting frustrated, which led to my stupidity yesterday with the housework. It just feels so horrid x x x it's like a ball of swelling and pain behind the top of the kneecap and above it. On top of which my menopausal sweats are getting steadily worse since I had that unexpected period the other week. I think it upset the balance again. The only other thing is I was on steroids again last week, and I think they can upset hormonal balance.

But I'm alive, I'm ok, I'm not dying it's not life threatening and this is temporary

Love Ann x x x x x
 
Despite the stiffness and the swelling, the pain is a lot less today. Woohoo thank goodness. My husband has just done me something I haven't had in ages - beans and egg on toast for my breakfast. Do you know what? It was scrumptious, absolutely yummy x x x x x

My children and grandchildren are due down today. I hope by then I'll be kind of perky for when they come. I definitely feel better pain wise. It's like a massive relief and all I've taken is the paracetamol. I will take a reduced morphine dose and see how that goes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning @Nana moon 27 - hope you managed to get a bit of rest last night, and that your knee is less troublesome today. So glad that the pain has eased a bit and you know what? I think your improved appetite is a sign that your body is coming out of its 'funk' and beginning to heal and respond.

I think you are right, you need to go back and see your GP. Perhaps you can sit with him and agree some sensible goals to work towards? You need to tell him what needs to improve, the areas where you need most help, and the timescale you want to work to. ( A return after Easter would give both of you some time to work on everything).

Enjoy your time with your family today. We will be glued to the rugby on TV. Back to back coverage from 12.30. Good job I enjoy it too! My computer is still protesting with the website, but I will persevere!

Talk later
ChrisX
 
HI @Nana moon 27, Is there I reason that you have to return to work so soon. Especially now that you mention you have to drive a lot. Even now when I have to drive around an hour straight, I am ready to give the wheel up. When I went back at three months if I did not my benefits would drop for myself and my younger son and I would have to pay out of pocket every month for coverage for us both $1500.00. So I prayed and did what I had to do to get back and be able to make it through the day and took my ice pack to work for the first few weeks back. Was able to hold out with discomfort by taking Motrin and when I got home taking Nucenta. What does your work entail? Is it the GP who will okay you to go back or your OS? Boy.. lots to think about. Two weeks seems soon, but your body will let you know what to do. Have a wonderful day.
 
Hi @chestnc. I lecture in childcare to 16-18yr olds in a College. That's only a 25% post. I assess childcare students (inner city) 50% post. That involves a lot of driving from schools and nurseries in the city. I observe them in action and basically give advice on how to improve their practice. This involves a lot of sitting and standing for several hours during observation and moving around as the student is working with the children x x x no I am still in full sick pay for a while longer because I had an excellent non sickness record which protected the sick pay.

I feel that I should be returning to work. I'm honestly worried that people might think I'm malingering, you know trying not to go back with no good reason. I actually worked right up until the end of term only losing three days when the knee went completely. I need to go back but I know I'm not ready, physically.

Thanks for your concern

Love Nana moon 27 x x x x
 
@nana moon27, you sound so dedicated and those young folks are blessed to have someone like you. You sound like a truly dedicated person which is what young folks need now-a-days but you have to think of numero uno first.. yourself and your knee. You don't want to go back too soon and have a set back and be out longer than you would be if you had stayed out just a mite bit longer. If don't feel physically ready and you have the sick time I would say take your time. You sound like a real trouper. But sometimes it does not pay health wise to troup. Take care of yourself first.. then you can better care for others. To me that sounds like a lot of standing and a lot of driving. I say re- think the whole thing. I was on pain medication until almost the three month mark. I was afraid to go back at three months. Good luck with your decision.. we are here for you whatever you decide. :) :)
 
Remember it's not just the pain and discomfort of recovery but your energy level too that needs to be considered before you return to work. Can you phase in?
 
Hi @kneeper I can phase in with the teaching. As regards the assessing job i
need to be more physically well. That can be phased but the physical side is going to be a problem until I can get stronger. I'm phoning a private PT on Monday who treated me for whiplash eighteen months ago. I am going to see if he can help me with finding the right exercises for me for my knee, so I can improve x x x
 
Hi all

I have had a fabulous afternoon. The garden is looking lovely with all the spring flowers. My eldest daughter arrived first today and gave me a hand to straighten up the back yard. Nothing heavy. Just wiping over the glass patio table, bit of sweeping and she planted a few things for me too.

So today I had my daughters here, my 86 yr old father in law, (who still drives and lives independently), 3 of my grandchildren and my grandsons girlfriend and younger daughters dog Tilly!!! I wasn't sure how my eldest daughter would react because Millie (her dog, recently deceased) used to come on a Saturday and this was the first time since all of this. She was fine and the dog just kept fussing her!

I cooked a turkey crown today that I'd bought just after Christmas and frozen. I remembered about it yesterday and realised that if I didn't use it very soon it would have to go in the bin. Ooh it was lovely. I did fresh bread rolls, salad and chips (fries) and fed 9 of us. There was still loads left, so I sliced some up for my father in law to take home and the rest of the joint I cut in half and gave the girls half each for their Sunday dinners tomorrow !

The dog, needless to say has been my very best friend all afternoon because I fed her turkey. She kept snuggling up to me and putting her head in my chest or snuggling up to the side of my leg and looking sidelong at me adoringly...lovely. She is a small Staffordshire bull terrier. The strange thing was, she came running into the kitchen like a lunatic when they arrived, to where I was standing but as she got right by me she stopped and walked calmly over to me. We all looked at her in disbelief, it was as though she knew about my knee. Even when she snuggled, she did that on my left which is also unusual. Good dog! X

I have decided to contact a private PT who treated me for whiplash eighteen months ago. I found his card today. I will phone him on Monday. What is even better still, he uses a room in a doctors surgery, diagonal from my house, so I literally would only have to cross the road x x x I wish I'd thought of this sooner, @dogwheels put the idea in my head the other day, thank you x x
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom