Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

@Nana moon 27, I hope the pain you are having is figured out. I am so sorry you are having this pain. Are you taking your meds around the clock. That's strange, usually icing helps take the edge off. I am icing my knee as we speak. Just sore. Maybe the cold weather, with wind chills feeling like -2 degrees. Another storm is heading this way by Sunday night and my body reacts to the bad weaher. Hope you are feeling better soon. I believe you guys are having a lot of rain. Maybe the dampness is causing a general increase in pain, but please get this checked out. I am worried about your pain my friend. Hope you get a good night's straight sleep and not up in the social room like me :angel:
 
Hi @chestnc I'm lurking about. I had about three hours sleep maybe at most. I'm not in pain unless I stand up and walk!!!! I will ask my PT this morning he is very lovely and understanding. Hi likes me because I make him laugh during the group physio sessions with my cheeky humour. I'm pretty sure he'll advise me. Thank you for your concern. You're right this weather does affect me but whatever this is I'm pretty sure it's muscular x x x
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, Oh my that is not good. have you seen your OS for 4-5 week post-op care? And did this start after you saw him. It sounds muscular. I would see what PT says and if answer is not satisfactory I would be calling my OS. If I am in pain, I am calling somebody. Especially since this is now affecting you walking and you need to walk so as not to stiffen up. I am praying that things get better. I wonder did you pull something in PT? Do you think?
 
Hi @chestnc, no I did nothing wrong last week in PT. I woke up like it!!!! I saw my OS on Monday last, and she is more than happy with me. They are monitoring my left knee which will have to be done but not fir a few years I hope. They are going to X-ray it in 6 months to see how fast any degeneration occurs because if the osteoarthritis. Then if it's not degenerating too badly they will inject it and try and prolong it x x x x x
 
Nana moon.....so sorry you are having a bout of swelling. I don't think it's anything serious but you do need to be sure you're taking your pain medications on a regular schedule? Can you tell me what you're taking and how frequently? I know you said you are icing and elevating. I hope that means you're doing that the better part of the day. It's also good to ice at night as you sleep. Until you get this under control, you need to keep your activity to a minimum. That means no errands, no house chores, no popping out for social events. The sad thing about swelling is that, while it can come up quite suddenly, it can take many days longer than that to resolve.

Be sure your therapist is not contributing to the swelling by pushing you with exercises. And you should not ever be pushed to the point of pain.

Please let us know how you're doing!
 
Hi @Jamie I take Zomorph I had cut down to 20mg morning and night. I took 30 mg yesterday morning and 40mg last night. This is propped up with 4x2 tablets per day of Paracetamol (Tylenol). I'm ok until I walk. I can bend and straighten on the bed. It doesn't hurt to do these it's when I stand and go to walk. I will use my elbow crutches today. I had thought I'd made them redundant! I have no social plans so I'll do the whole mantra to a tee!!! I'll do the extra ice thing. The only trouble is I only have two ice packs. I'll try and sort that in the way back from PT. I still do not drive because although my OS said on Monday that I can; a) my car is manual I can't do an emergency stop and b) I'm too fuzzy on the Zomorph!!!! It would make my insurance null and void you see.

I will keep chores to a minimum, my husband, amazingly, although he huffs and puffs a bit at times, has been very supportive.

Thank you Jamie love Ann x
 
Ouch, ouch blooming triple ouch. Fine until I walk on it. Anyway, I'm off for last Physio session today. Can't see me doing much. I'm going to have to use my sticks today too painful under pressure. I'll do a proper post everyone when I get back. My whole leg is swollen, my knee looks angry! I'm sure if it could talk it would be cussing me!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with physio this morning Anne, don't overdo things. My 4 sessions have come to an end, I keep trying to convince myself I should go to the swimming pool, but don't quite make it. I'm staying in bed all morning to give yesterday's cortisone injection the very best chance of working, and looking at the torrential rain outside it's definitely the best place to be.
I hope that horrid pain goes today, chat later xx
 
The only trouble is I only have two ice packs.

I was given a cryo cuff when I left the hospital and it really is fantastic, but I also bought these very cheaply from Amazon.... [Bonesmart.org] Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!
They are like a shower cap with a hole and screw cap, I half fill them with water, freeze them over a small bottle and they then sit neatly on my knees for a couple of hours. I do recommend them.
 
Morning everyone,
Hopefully you are getting an explanation for your pain @Nana moon 27 and that there is an end to it asap.
I too was fortunate enough to be sent home with an electric cryo ice machine. They are available online and may be something worth investing in. I also used the recipe in the library for the homemade ice packs make with water and rubbing alcohol. They are most excellent.
Thank you ALL for the thoughts and kind words the past few days that I've been fighting the flu. I awoke this morning actually feeling human. Still coughing, but not nearly as much and the horrible achyness seems to have finally dissipated. Hubby is now in the middle of his battle. Fun times!
Thinking of you all.
Caryn

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Well I went to physio in agony despite the pain meds increase! He to use both sticks too! Anyway the physio took me off and examined my knee, leg and muscles. He diagnosed severe muscle fatigue. He suggested I still went in to the gym and just do non weight bearing exercises. Amazingly my rom had improved again it's gone from 105 to 110. But the straightening is still -4 that hasn't changed although straightening it was not comfortable at all. I did a few non weight bearing exercises and even the bike for 3 mins. I came out ok but as soon as I started to walk that pain started even worse. So I'm lying on my bed and I'm icing elevating etc. They said I need to rest but make sure I do the non weight bearing until this has settled down a bit. I've had some lunch and a cup of tea but now I am very tired and need to sleep. Will post later x x x. Weather raining and damp no snow! Xxxxxxxxxxxx
@dogwheels and @Doglover last night was just so funny you both cheered me up soooo much thank you. Hydrotherapy and floating mars bars is just hysterical!!!!! Lol xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!
@nana moon, FYI: Your flexion (bend) is 110; your extension (straightening) is 4. The goal for extension is 0 which means your leg is perfectly straight. If your extension was -4, your knee would be bending backwards (it would be hyper-extended). Here is a picture of hyper-extension of around -17. [Bonesmart.org] Woohoo I'm starting to feel better! These were my hubby's knees before TKR. And here they are after surgery. [Bonesmart.org] Woohoo I'm starting to feel better! These pics are thumbnails, so you can click on them for a larger view.
 
Hi @bottomshollow the morphine to blame. Should have said + not - lol xxxx your hubby's knees are much better looking now. The before pic is that what is known as hyper mobility? I've never ever seen knees that bend back like that. It made mine ache just looking. Thank you for sharing this it is really kind of you x x x
 
Wow! Sounds as though your muscles are too fatigued to support your knees. In the US we do lots and lots of quad sets to strengthen the knee support before we do anything standing. All you can do is rest and be a vegetable….:console2: Did he tell you to do non-weight bearing exercises to keep the joint moving and to keep strengthening the quads?
About the only thing I could watch for any length of time were the old british historical drama series that I got on the computer through a streaming service.
Rest well and keep safe. :puppysmooze:
 
I hope everybody is ok and had a good day. We didn't get the snow that was forecast just rain! We also had a few moments of sun too!!! Had a busy evening, my son came over and my daughter and their children. It was a nice distraction. I managed two hours sleep this afternoon and felt better for that!!!!

Thanks @Chihuahuan I realised what I did that triggered my knee off. It's felt good a couple of days back and purely without thinking I led up the stairs with my operated leg it was at the point of no return when all my weight was on it as it bent the pain hit my knee and I had to save myself my getting on to my non operated leg!
I forgot all about that!!! At least I know with rest and elevation and non weight bearing exercise as recommended by both you and the Physio, it'll get better again. Xoxoxo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That will do it --it is taking me ages for me to get over the step/curb with the wrong knee thing! Hard to explain to folks unless they have been through this. Our house is all one level so it's not been an issue for the most part but when I'm out and about I have to really think about what I'm doing. Come to think about it I've not even had the need to go up/down a long flight of stairs since my op!
Glad you are feeling a little better. :SUNsmile:
 
This is trouble @Chihuahuan when your knee has the time when it feels normal you forget so easily. I learnt a lesson from this big style!!!! X x x the thing that gets on my nerves is when I go for a walk I'm looking at the floor all the while as I scared of falling x x x
 
Me too -- and you have to remember to lift up your leg at the same time. It gets better eventually but never totally goes away. Just don't let it stop you -- I was hiking on trails leads than a year or so after my first TKR and was just a little more observant about where I stepped.
 
@Nana moon 27, So that was the upshot, severe muscle fatigue. Wow that is something... You wouldn't think that would cause so much pain. I hope you are able to rest and I certainly hope you are feeling much better. Keep those pain meds nearby along with ice. keep your chin up and feel better soon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom