Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Hi I've weaned my self down to a very low dose on the morphine which is propped up by 4x2tablets a day of paracetamol aka US Tylenol. He said I was doing a good job of cutting down in my own time. He also said that if I'm waking in pain at night I need to increase by one tablet if necessary. He quite understandably doesn't want me to risk being in pain needlessly. He's good at getting in my head as you can tell! I think his other concern is that I have a past history of depression and anxiety, in fact I was on antidepressants all last year again but when my knee completely went I was made by the hospital to come off them because they were masking the pain I was in. So I think he's concerned about me suddenly stopping them because of the withdrawal effects which are pretty horrific when you look at it. He doesn't realise that I'm more stable than I've been for a long time but he's taking no chances. I' was on them through sheer pressure of being a total control freak, holding down two jobs, trying to juggle money, being the only wage earner and the bad knee. I just felt so pressurised to the point I thought I was going to explode! When it went completely, I was doing this and more on morphine!! So I think this is his real reasoning behind his decision x x x x x BTW I've never done any sort of self harming or anything it was pure anxiety and depression x x x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Do they have pain consultants in the UK? We have one in the orthopedic group I go to. I am quite unfamiliar with using morphine for pain except in the hospital via IV. Perhaps the morphia questions should go to Josephine. One big question is how much pain are you in or willing to be in if you gradually wean off the morphia too soon?
You really are not far out from surgery --remember the 12 months recovery time --so you are less than 2 mths out and 1/6 of the way through. Give yourself the gift of time for a good recovery.
 
I also had never heard of using morphine outside of a hospital setting so I have no voice on it's use in this situation.
I would however be inclined to believe in your doctor and his ability to offer you the care you need.
I seem to recall @Josephine has mentioned many times the reasons why addiction fears can be set aside in our situations.
As for your return to work, I've also been led to believe the 12 week window I was given is quite liable to change. I hope you can figure out a mutually agreeable course of action between you, your doctor and work, but please don't push yourself to hard to fast...we all know how badly that can backfire!
Hugs :)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Chihuahuan & @glazed151 thank you so much. Yes they give us morphine in the UK it is under the name of Zomorph. The reason I was in it originally was that I developed a resistance to co codamol, Tramadol, and dihydrocodeine as I had taken these for three years prior to my op. When my knee went completely it was the only thing that worked. It is a controlled drug and GPS are limited as to how much they prescribe you each time, so you have to go back regularly for monitoring. When you collect your prescription from the pharmacy you have to sign for it I have reduced my morphine down to 20mg in the morning and the same at night. This is propped up with paracetamol (Tylenol ). The only trouble is I do wake up in the night in pain and in the morning. He has suggested I up it by 10mg at night until it settles down again.

So yes I'm just going to take it as it comes now and see what happens. Thank you for your support xxxx
 
I've just gone into the Bonesmart library and reread some of the articles. In particular Josephine's pain chart. I am definitely on the inadequate side. I need to just take what I need and worry about things later. Jamie quite rightly says that naturally as the pain lessens we don't take the meds so closely they are taken a bit further apart. It's made me think a bit differently now x x x
 
Hi Ann, I'm beginning to agree with you, I've been very proud of myself cutting down to 4 paracetamol in 24 hrs, but I have been in more pain recently, and in fact, just before I read your post I took 2 Tramadol in the hopes that I won't wake in pain during the night as I did last night. I wasn't going to ask for any more Tramadol, but I think I do still need them.
Sleep well, xx
 
Hi @Ellejay I think if you read Josephine's pain management chart it shows whether you are adequately pain managed or not. It's in the Bonesmart library at the top of this page
 
I was on oxy or tramadol + tylenol every 4-6 hours for 2 months before i was able to start cutting back. There are no awards for being in pain, so take what you need to in order to feel better ladies. I hope you both rest well tonight @Ellejay & @Nana moon 27 :sleep::mcoffee::sleep:
 
And I still take Tylenol and Celebrex as needed --some days more than others for niggling aches here and there. :umm:
 
It sounds like your doc is very familiar with your medical history, so I'd be inclined to think he's on the right track with easing you off the morphine slowly and by monitoring your pain levels.
 
Sorry you're up in the middle of the night my friend. I'm upstairs watching a movie on my laptop with the dogs. I forgot to bring an icepack up with me but I certainly don't want to have to do the stairs again today, so I'm just going to deal. Starting to think I might have moved back upstairs too soon :(
 
@DogLoverx3 I think I need to try and get out more. Im soooooo bored!!! I have no stimulation at home. The tv is not the greatest, I'm gamed out, fed up with knitting and sewing. I've arranged to go to a friends house later this afternoon so hopefully that'll perk me up a bit. Still waiting for confirmation off the hairdresser, that birds nest of mine doesn't help either!!!!

What are you doing today? Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo hugs xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo :puppysmooze:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I sure know where you're coming from with the stairs. Even though I have had to do them from day one there are times when I still struggle with them. Especially when it is stiff like it is now. I just struggled down for a snack and ended up eating a bowl of Cheerios cereal and a packet of tictacs!

Stairs are hard work and I remember when you made me aware very early on in my recovery when I went up and down stairs 8 times and wondered why I was struggling so bad!!!

I'm going to try agin now to sleep I do feel tired but I don't think I do enough In the day to make me tired.
Yesterday I went the docs, then the supermarket to get my friend some flowers, dropped them off at her house with a card and had a quick chat but she was on her way out to Wales. Then stuck In the house until this evening. Went for a walk but it was a bad idea because of the stiffness and swelling. So only walked up the road and back. :puppysmooze:
 
I think getting out more will do you good! Glad you're going to visit with a friend. Only trouble with getting out is knowing when it's time to go back home. ;). Well, it's Wednesday night here (8:30pm) but tomorrow is kinda busy - have to take my little couple their meals and then have to prep & cook for a breakfast I have bright and early on Friday. Also need to finish organizing stuff for the accountant as I see him right after my breakfast Friday and then I promised to meet friends for Happy Hour. Yikes. I'm supposed to go to an outdoor beer festival on Saturday, I'm quite certain that ain't gonna happen.;)

i Hope u get ahold of your hairdresser as i'm sure it will help your outlook. We all like to feel pretty! I think I've forgotten how. I wear a lot of hats these days ;) It's just easier
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 it's 3.45 am here!!!! You have got a busy day. I meant to say to you the other day when you said you endowing your tax and books etc for the accountant. I just don't know how you are doing all this, I really don't know how you cope the way you do!!! I told you before you are inspiring. You are stronger than you think and you do ever so well against all odds x x x x you know what Ellen? All I want to do is feel normal again, bubbly energetic caring me! I feel I got lost along the way somewhere x x x x x x x x:puppysmooze:
 
You give me too much credit, my friend. I am not coping very well at all and the only way I'm making it thru is to kinda half a** everything. That, paired with my slower than slow rehab makes me feel like I'm not accomplishing much of anything.

soon enough though, we'll both be back to how we want/used to be :) xoxoxoxo
 
@DogLoverx3 I give credit where it's due, and yes our recoveries are slow. You do really well with your job, social life etc. Tell you what the outdoor beer festival sounds like fun !!!!

It will be nice when we really can get back to our old mischievous selves xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo goodnight xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo :puppysmooze:
 
Hello @DogLoverx3 ,@dogwheels, @Ellejay @Chihuahuan, @glazed151, @sez22 @Karringtyn @Yorkshiregal54 @yiayia3 @tashia @chestnc and anyone else you're most welcome!

Well I so not have any idea why I am in such pain this morning. Was it because of the very short walk I did last night when I was in pain. Who knows? It's so cheesing me off right now. I've cried going down the stairs to get my self some breakfast so I could take my meds. I cried again when I realised I had to go downstairs again for my ice out the freezer. I didn't even bother to make myself a cuppa I couldn't face standing still waiting for the kettle. I had water anyway with my tablets. They're just starting to kick in now thankfully.

I'm not at my best this morning. I hope you've all had restful peaceful,nights sleep not too many disturbances. Love Nana moon27 xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom