Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Hi went to physio. I was so tired and fed up. Good news though. My rom has increased despite swelling from 100 to 105 and the straight has gone down from 7 to 4 degrees. Before I went I drank a large glass of coke (caffeine) and half a bar of chocolate (sugar). It helped me get through the morning!!!!

I've gone to bed to elevate ice and sleep will be in touch later x x x x x
 
Congrats on the 105/4 ROM Nana moon 27 !
I have PT this afternoon as well. Maybe I'll follow your excellent lead and have a pre appointment snack of coke & chocolate!:beer:
I just got home from my first appt with my Dr since the surgery. I posted all about it on my thread, if you care to read.
I am hopeful that we both have a much better night of sleep ahead of us. We sure do deserve it! :beg:
Big hugs!!
Caryn
 
Congratulations on that ROM, well done you! I've had my last PT session, so I won't get any more readings, I'll just have to guess. Chocolate and coke seems a good idea, I'm far too sensible and had a glass of milk and a peanut butter sandwich before my sessions, I've been doing it all wrong :sad: . Seriously, I'm thrilled for you, I know it's only a number, but it is positive reinforcement to show that the hard work we are putting in is really worth it.
I've just had a fantastic time with some ex colleagues, four hours over a sandwich and a coffee, but I haven't laughed so much for ages, I'm off to try for nap now. Xx
 
Looks like it's been appointment day for lots of us today. Hope the session didn't wipe you out NM27 - especially as you were a bit sleep deprived. Good job you didn't have a Red Bull - you would have been zooming around the exercises. But in the inimitable words of Brucie: 'Didn't you do well?'
The sun is shining here, my friend has visited and is amazed at how well I am doing (she's a GP and pretty straight talking) She came bearing armfuls of tulips, a Hello mag and a box of Baklava. Yum yum! I am now back from my Friday Water Torture at the pool - sorry Hydro session. I enjoy it when I am there, but boy do I feel tired after. Have been told I am doing really well and my walking is good - 100 ROM - so a positive start to the weekend.
Just having a quick lay down and a grapple to get the TEDs back on. Grrrrrr.....
Talk later and love to all in the meantime
X
 
I've just had my first TED free day, slightly premature but sheer bliss! Well done @dogwheels, more great measurements, aren't we all doing well. Are we really the same group that started chatting those few weeks ago? Haven't we come a long way together? And that's the point, we've really done it together, so much support, it's been great.
I'm glad you had a good time with your friend, praise from a GP is worth even more than 'just a friend'.
We were supposed to be having friends stay for the weekend, which I did have a right moan about earlier in the week, but as I got used to the idea I began to look forward to it, and now find that I'm really disappointed that they have had to cancel due to ill health. I'm never happy!!!
 
Lyn, to say I am jealous of your TED free day is an extreme understatement! I have to persevere for another 2.5 weeks until the day I see my OS - which is exactly 6 weeks post op. However my appointment is first thing on the morning of my Wedding Anniversary (#35) so I will be telling him he has to be nice to me and will then fling those TEDs into the nearest bin! My GP friend suggested I kept them for long haul flights ..... don't think so. Plus I don't think they will be any reasonable state to wear again once I have finished with them.
Sorry your friends have cancelled - especially as you had come round to be looking forward to their visit. Never mind - haven't checked the weather for the weekend, but perhaps you can find something else to do instead?
I'm hoping some fabric I have ordered, arrives soon. I must be feeling better as I am itching to do a bit of sewing.
Take it easy and enjoy your evening.
ChrisX
 
What a lovely day you have all had. Socializing boosts the spirits :) I didn't have to do TED hose this time --so strange how each doctor does things differently. Recovery is as much a head game as anything else….
 
Firstly, I need to clarify my earlier action of cola and chocolate! It was deliberate so that I would get a caffeine/sugar rush to help me cope with the PT morning!!! because I had only and hour and half's sleep!!!

I'm really glad you have all had such good days today. I am also ted free now and that virtual ted bonfire is beckoning! My appointment with the consultant is on Monday. I have to talk seriously with him about my other knee that keeps letting me down.

The PT told me today to start increasing my distance walking now with no crutch. He is pleased with the strength despite the swelling. But he was not concerned about the swelling or the warmth! I will speak to the consultant about that on Monday.

Ellejay it's wonderful today was your last PT session mine is next week! I'm sorry your friends have cancelled but at least they considered you in the decision so you won't pick up whatever they've got!

I slept for about two hours this afternoon and then the phone rang. My hairdresser had cancelled because the exhaust has fell off her car.. I was ok about it But I'm so selfish right now and was gutted because I was desperate. Never mind shell do it when she can!!! I told her it was no problem and she was grateful x x x x she's going to contact me tomorrow x x

I've got my two granddaughters staying over tonight, they're 7 & 13 years old and we're up in my room watching the soaps, having lovely girly chats it's lovely xxxx

Catch you all later thanks again for all your lovely posts and for caring...thank you!!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh FYI sorry UK only!!!! I found out today that after physio finishes we are entitled to four weeks free gym on prescription from our GP. Ok it does mean the local council run facilities but hey it's free!!!! It covers the gym and swimming baths. Just thought I'd let you know x x x x x x
 
My GP gave me my four weeks before the operation, as my knee was so painful I said I wasn't getting enough exercise, so she gave me the prescription to get fit and build up muscle strength, I can't imagine I qualify again, but I think I will take out membership anyway, especially as they have a 'Motorcize' room. Does anyone else have one of these nearby? Do Google it to see what I mean. It does seem a bit of a gym for the older person, but for people with joint problems, or maybe if someone has had a stroke it's fabulous, and you can always use the proper gym for the machines that tone the upper body.
I hope everyone has a great weekend, xx
 
Back again, had to finish the previous post too quickly. Motorcize (could be Motorsise?) basically uses all the usual gym machines, but they are motorised, so if your body can't do the full motion at least the machine takes your limbs, gently, through the whole exercise. The more able you are the more effort you can put in. I found it really good for my sore knees before the TKR. The GP was on at me to lose weight, but I couldn't walk or use a normal gym so how are you supposed to do that? So she gave me the prescription to try this section of a local gym. I know that there are a few dotted around the country, I recommend them if you have one near. Some advertise themselves for ladies only, some for the over 50s. I am definitely going back, probably the week after next, and I'll take out membership.
 
Wow! That's excellent that you're all eligible for the bonus gym visits!
I found out today at pt that my first visit to the therapy pool is next week.
Can I tell you all how happy I am about this.... yet at the same time, completely unprepared to wear a swimsuit! !
PT put me through my paces today and added a few new exercises. I'm a bit extra sore and swollen so I'm in bed already with ice.
ROM was 107 and extention a 2. Yay :)
Hubby spoiled me with takeout dinner in bed.
I'm so blessed!
Hugs all.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
 
Good morning everyone, I hope that you are all okay and have managed some form of sleep. I think I must have got physio right yesterday. I'm a bit stiff but not in the excruciating pain of the last two weekends. Wahey, the sun is shining here and I feel a bit chirpier today. I've got up made my husband a cuppa, done my breakfast so I can take tablets and managed the stairs back up with out having to hold the rail. I am still two feet one step though.

The girls have slept like rocks,I just checked on them and they are out for the count! When their mom comes, if the weather holds, I may suggest going for a walk around the duck pond in the park not far from here. There is the country park right next door to my house which is ok but there is a lot of dog poo left by irresponsible owners and you end up playing hop scotch instead of having a nice walk!!! When I walk out to my car in the back drive I can see cows, horses, goats and sheep sometimes. It is lovely!!! Just ruined by the irresponsible actions of a minority with their dogs!!!!

Anyway enough moaning, I hope we can all have a marvellous day and post about it later. Look forward to that love Nana Moon 27 xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxox
 
Well what a totally stupid trick I've done to myself today! I failed to elevate all day! I have sat "normally" and walked around, been the shops, pottered round the house, tidied my bedroom and cooked the evening meal! No elevation after any of this. I've just said to my husband that my knee felt awful so I was going to bed. I just stripped off to put on my nightshirt, happened to look at my knee in the mirror, my whole operated leg is half the size again of the non operated one. So I've elevated above heart level, put on ice pack and now saying a few prayers that it'll go down by morning. I cannot believe I've been so daft as to do this, what was I thinking? The reason I've stayed down today was to see if I could try and stay awake and sleep tonight. Fat chance now. Please guys, don't do this silly trick just because you feel normal!!!!! @Josephine is not going to be impressed with me over this at all (sorry) :headbang::gaah::groan::sad::sigh::shrug: I give up I always learn the hard way!!!!
 
Oh dear missus! I do hope that the ice and elevation calm things down a bit and you manage to get some zzzzzz's. There is a positive though ....... a short while ago you wouldn't have been able to achieve all that you have done today, and would have been icing and elevating throughout because you needed it. The very fact that you were so busy being 'normal' that you didn't think of it and didn't think you needed it, shows how things have improved, and how far you have come.
See? I will always be positive and optimistic is my middle name! As my daughter says 'You can always manage to polish a turd, Mum'
Hope you manage to sleep. Talk tomorrow
X
 
I did the same thing on Thursday--and have been trying to recoup ever since! I didn't ice after being on the bike then went to the store -- Violet, my knee, did not like it at all. These delayed reactions are tough to deal with. I was at breakfast today with some friends and I made a comment that it was difficult to sit so long and one of my dearest friends said " I though you were all better" "No --it takes a year to approach normality" She looked most shocked.:yikes:
 
Hi @dogwheels, people really don't understand this. When I get comments like that I say you have to remember they've broken three bones in my lower leg, fitted a whole new knee joint in and cemented it on to the bones .... it shuts them up as it's totally true!!!!! I wish I hadn't done this x x
 
Back
Top Bottom