Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Ah thanks @DogLoverx3 !!! One of my closest friends came over unexpectedly tonight. I was over the moon to see her. En my daughter and granddaughters turned up that was all very lovely and good. Guess what? I forgot my evening pain meds I've only just ramen them and the pain is so bad I've come to bed and it's only 9.20 xxxx
 
Hi @Josephine. What did you think about the level of meds I'm on? I just said the DogLoverx3 I had visitors tonight and forgot to take my meds on time and now I'm paying for it!!!! Ouch!!!!! X x x. Had a very early night to elevate ice and rest x x x x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great day full of visitors! Sorry about missing the meds though :-( On the one hand, it's good that your knee didn't remind you, then again, a little 'hint' would have been better than a full blown 'ouch'. I've done that before. Strange how it doesn't gradually start to hurt, it's sort of an all or nothing thing. Hopefully your pain meds will kick in shortly and the ice and elevation will help!

My knee was feeling pretty good after PT so while I was outside in my backyard with the pups, not even thinking, I started picking weeds .......... not a good idea. Took a few minutes for me to realize that I probably shouldn't be crouching down like that, so I stopped, but apparently not fast enough. Whoopsie.

I've got plans to go meet friends for happy hour tonight and I don't want to cancel, but probably won't stay very long. I've got my ziplock baggie in my purse though so I can have the bartender fill it with ice for me :)
 
That sounds such a good idea. The weeding was probably not and your knee will soon let you know if it's feeling unhappy. I hope you have a great time at happy hour and hope you do have a happy one too!!! I ended up making a cake earlier a banana one with pineapple underneath it. I added nutmeg, cinnamon you know mixed spices to my basic recipe. Cooked it cooled it and it went down a storm. They all kept going into the kitchen and cutting a piece!!!

Have a fantastic evening will chat to you later xxxx by the way I posted my latest pic of my knee
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 and @DogLoverx3 - I have a secret read of your conversations each evening before bed, and even did so a couple of nights in hospital. Sorry - but I really enjoy it - better than a novel!
At just approaching 1 week post op I am impressed with what you have both achieved and just hope I do as well.
I too must 'fess up as a Brady Bunch fan - one night when my daughter was about 13 we were catching a v early morning flight out of New York. Well it was a 'Brady-athon' Night and so we just stayed up and watched back to back episodes and slept on the plane the next day!
My troubles are very different from yours as I think they overdosed me with laxatives :eeeuw: - in hospital, with dire consequences. I am only on paracetamol, but still keep going, going, going ...... Things are beginning to gradually improve but its not nice when you have a big swollen log leg too!

I have to wear the compression stockings for 6 weeks - 24/7. I have already put a finger nail through one pair. Today was my first out patient physio appointment. I was chatting with my daughter as to what would be easiest and comfiest to wear. I suggested a knee length tunic dress thing, that I would normally wear with boots. 'With what on your bottom half' she asked. I replied that I would just wear my sexy white surgical stockings. She fell about laughing and asked if the surgeon had taken out my self respect and any sense of fashion, along with the dodgy knee joint. I really didn't care what anyone thought ....... (but I wore a pair of tracksuit bottoms anyway!)
Time for meds and bed now - so good night to you both ......
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya Dogwheels. I am is glad you enjoy our posts. We are both very similar in iur outlook and totally honest about how things are. Yes we are more interesting than a movie because this is real. If we can help people to understand that it is ok to cry, be depressed, try and say please don't overdo it like we do at times and make people laugh, then that is brilliant. If we can advise someone with ideas or personal experience even though we are all different individuals in recovery that great too!

I know exactly where you are coming from as regards dress sense etc. I am usually smartly turned out, clothes hair makeup because of my jobs. However, since surgery I couldnt care two hoots about anything. The only time I make a bit of an effort is when I have to go physio and that isnbecausenit is a group one in a hospital gym!!! I am living in trackside bottoms for comfort and long sleeved t shirts. It doesn't a look too bad because I've lost quite a bit of weight since the op. I had got it to lose though because of inactivity, and not forgetting Christmas and New Year over indulgence!!!

By the way, 70 denier thick black opaque tights will cover surgical stockings!!!! Good night. Let's hope we all get some reasonable sleep. Chat soon. Night night love Nana Moon27 x x x
 
Hi @DogLoverx3, the point about me making that cake was that I was really upset again earlier, so my husband said make me a cake I refused at first then I felt guilty cos he has been so good to me. My point I am trying to make is that the baking is seriously therapeutic and I have been fine in myself since. The pain meds have kicked in...thank goodness!!! Chat later x
 
Hi @Josephine. What did you think about the level of meds I'm on?
Yes I did and I wondered if it would help if you tried suggesting to him that you might try something different like Tramadol and paracetamol instead of the morphine. Morphine's actually not all that good for TKR pain anyway. Tramadol is a lot more effective. Worth a shot, don't you think?
 
If I can pluck up the courage to go back I may suggest that. The only thing is I had become immune to it before the surgery because I had been on it quite some time before the morphine x x I don't like the feeling of morphine and would like to come off it x
 
Hi @dogwheels ! Glad someone can read our back and forths and not only enjoy them but realize that whatever they may be going through, we've been through as well. Now, as for fashion - I've actually worn my slippers out in public more than once. I've NEVER done that before. I only wear makeup if I have to and it seems as if any vanity I ever had has gone out the window. I'm all about comfort and shortcuts these days :)

I hope you can learn from, and avoid, all the mistakes that both @Nana moon 27 have made (sorry to throw you under the bus like that Nana) :whistle: and that you have a smooth (and quick) recovery! Glad you decided to wear bottoms to PT! Good decision on your part. ;-) Sorry about the digestive issues, but hopefully you're feeling better.

Nana, I hope you are sound asleep as I type this (i think it's @ 3am there) and that your knee is feeling better. My knee is NONE too happy about my little weed pulling brain man. I can't believe it didn't even occur to me what a bad move that was. I went and met my friends for a couple hours anyway and am glad that I did. Of course I had my sexy bag of ice on my knee the whole time, but again, people were very nice and proud of me for going out. We had some good laughs, good food and went for cupcakes afterwards. :-)

I've got some cooking to do tomorrow, but aside from that, it's another easy(ish) day for me. I hope you had a good rest of your night and your knee is feeling better. xoxoxxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3, I am sooo glad you've had a good night out. May be next week I might see about doing something. Mind you this Friday evening, I am going to my brothers as it is his wife's birthday and their tenth wedding anniversary.

I am so rather flattered that people like our posts but when you think about some of the stuff wee out in them I guess they must make interesting ready. It's nice that we are helping people and taking tHeir mind off the pain for a bit..

I have had a few hours sleep and hope that I can doze off again. I do hope that your knee will forgive you your sin of weeding!!!!!

Have a great day and I will,chat later. I'm nt sure what I'm doing today. Will see what the day has in store.


@dogwheels I'm concerned that you are only on paracetamol (Tylenol) is this managing your pain?

Take care catch you later xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
 
Gosh I slept three times I. The night. Fantastic. Knee feels easier today. I think it's forgiving me x x x hope you slept well too. Watching a soap opera on catch up tv (coronation street) it's our longest running soap over here (1960's) I'm hoping it'll bore me back to sleep x x x x
 
Having a much better day all round today. I got my husband to drive me to my mom bad dads and my father in law. Pain a lot less. Knee is less stiff. I hope you're ok x x x
 
YEY for getting some decent sleep (albeit broken up) and for your knee feeling better today! I bet you start seeing gradual improvements from here on out! Just don't overdo!!! I think you should probably give Tramadol + Tylenol (or whatever you call it over there) a go and see if maybe it will work for you post surgery. Everyone says that post op pain is different from arthritic pain, so maybe it will do what it's supposed to! Morphine is just so big time that I worry about you being on it for so long. Maybe you don't even need to go into see your GP. If he has prescribed Tramadol for you in the past, maybe he can just call in a refill? Not sure how it works over in your neck of the woods.

I hope you've had a nice time at your mom and dad's! Remember to take it easy. It's easy to forget, when things start feeling better, that we're still very early in this process!

Yes, glad that others can take away something useful (even if it's just a smile) from our posts! xoxoxoxo
 
Hi DogLoverx3, I hope you slept well. I have been good as soon as I got in I went straight upstairs and did the . mantra! I feel good today. I just pray it lasts. I'm going to have an afternoon nap now it just gone 4 pm here xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo I think I'll try and see GP this week x x x x
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 - you seem to be having a good day today. Thanks for your concern over the paracetamol, but yes it seems to be doing ok for me. I cant say I have no pain, but then neither do people on here who are on much stronger meds - I do not find my pain to be excessive and it's quite manageable. I felt a little let down that I never got morphine post op (friends have been hilarious when they have needed to take it) - it was paracetamol and codeine with an ibuprofen now and again. They stopped the codeine after post-op day 2 and the ibuprofen shortly after. I have a hiatus hernia and gastritis and they were keen to try to prevent upsetting my stomach too much (but then they went and gave me all those laxatives - huh!) My knee had a busy day yesterday with my first physio and I was on strict instructions to bring the swelling down, so it was a bit tender - but seems much better now and the swelling has reduced considerably - so hurrah for me! I could take an ibuprofen or co-dydramol here and there, but dont feel I need to and as my tummy is still not 100%, will not consider that option for a while.
I feel a bit light-headed/queasy from time to time, but drinking lots and having nibbles 'little and often' seems to sort things out - I have been like this after GA before.
I have been on a mission this afternoon to try and hunt down some more TED stockings, the same as the ones from the hospital (as I can get the size right that way). I know everyone on here says they are proven unnecessary, but my man insists (24/7 for 6 weeks). I had 2 pairs given me and only a week on from my surgery I've put my finger through the top of one, and the other has taken up the colour of my sexy(not!) new trackie bottoms. These poor things wont last a fortnight, let alone 6 weeks. Well the hospital pharmacy (private) doesn't stock them, my local health centre pharmacy doesn't stock them and wont order them in, and I cant find them on sale in UK other than in huge bulk supplies. I think I am reduced to having to go back to the ward and beg ...... Still I sent them a big box of minicupcakes today to say thanks for looking after me, so perhaps they will give me some?
Hope you have a good evening - I have taken the hideous white monstrosities off and letting my legs have a breath of fresh air ..... ah..... Perhaps my knee is ready for its first full frontal photo?? I'll see if I am brave enough to flaunt the beauty of it!
Chris X
 
Hi @dogwheels , I hope you don't mind if I butt in ;-) but I've heard that you can get TED stockings on Amazon.com . Personally, I found that wearing them increased the swelling in my knee and I found them very uncomfortable. I think the main purpose of wearing them is to avoid blood clots and since I was moving around enough, I didn't have to wear mine past the 2nd week. If you find that they help you, then go for it, but I'm wondering if they have anything to do with the excessive swelling in your knee. Just a thought..... Actually, your surgery is so very recent, that you should probably just ignore me and keep wearing them. Down the road a bit though, you might want to ask. As you should be resting A LOT, the TEDs are important.

Funny about your friends on morphine, btw. ;-)
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - thanks for the input, I can find the same brand on US sites but they are out of stock on Amazon UK. Typical! I may order some and have them airmailed, or I think I shall have to just go a-begging to the Floor Sister.
I'm fortunate not to have to do anything, so I am taking it easy - funny thing is my husband says he is needing to nap too (we are currently in separate rooms until the knee is better/his snoring improves/I put a bag over his head!) - his only duties are ice machine; getting food for me; ferrying me to physio/hydro - but obviously this is a terrible strain. Haha
The TEDs are a drag, but I do as I'm told. Last lot of knee surgery I was living in Abu Dhabi and had to return to 40+ degree heat wearing the wretched things. I got some very strange looks from the locals, with those sticking out from my summer dresses/shorts etc!!
Taken a picture of my knee and now seeing if I am brave enough to post it ....
 
Hi @dogwheels have you tried Boots? They usually stock them. Mu friend in north wales gets hers from there. Make sure you are asking for the right thing. They may well be called flight socks but they do the same thing xxx may pay to speak to the pharmacist x she has them because she has had DVT xxxx
 
@dogwheels I have only been able to wear the Ted on my good leg. Every time I tried it on the operated leg it made it swell to the point that the staples were under considerable pressure. The nurse told me just to wear one n my good leg xxxx
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom