Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Yes, @Dabber and @Nana moon 27 it is very difficult with some of the hidden ingredients listed on labels that catch us unaware. Cross contamination can also be an issue. A processed product can be listed as gluten free however, if not manufactured in a dedicated gluten free factory the food may contain gluten.

In Australia (and I believe New Zealand) there are 350 permitted additives (and constantly increasing) that may cause a reaction and for some folk need to be avoided. To name a few, these can include anti-caking agents, bleaches, emulsifiers, mineral salts, propellants, food acids, sweeteners. (such as wheat based glucose syrup), thickening agents, vegetable gums, ground spices (where wheat is sometimes added to prevent clumping) and even vitamins.. One such problem I encountered early in my research days was buying fish and chips... I always asked for grilled fish and asked the chef not to coat in flour, but I then enquired about the chips which turned out to be frozen and contained wheat to avoid clumping - there it was on the label!

In some countries, the labeling laws permit a percentage of gluten to be included and not declared in a processed food and still be called gluten free!

There is also such a difference from being a diagnosed Coeliac or sensitive or intolerant. If sensitive or intolerant, one can get away with eating a gluten product however, if ingested constantly, the digestive system says No! In many different ways - bloated tummy, toilet issues, even a masked UTI problem as the product irritates the bladder as it works its way out of the body.

Fresh is definitely best, but I acknowledge that as we are all time poor, sometimes processed products, tinned, bottled or packaged are a quick option - being totally gluten free is often very difficult to navigate.

:)
 
Hi @Poppet that was so informative thank you. It doesn't help that I had a really bad candida (yeast/thrush) attack. Worst in years, amongst the worst I've ever had and then all this other stuff started after. I did tell the GP.

He said poor diet, sugar craving,warm clothing and all the meds I'm on have probably caused the attack.

Yes all what you say now adds up x thank you x

@Dabber thank you for sharing I'm going to be very careful. As I say I'm not a Coeliac but have a mild wheat intolerance which clearly has caused a lot of this x

Take care love Nana moon 27 x
 
Hi Ann - thanks for the kind feedback :) in the nutritional library I have this article regarding probiotics that you may find interesting: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/probiotics.20811/

And, yes, Candida is difficult to get rid off. It is possible to have latent Candida, meaning it is sub-clinical, so we may not have actual irritating symptoms. There is not only the internal vaginal thrush, but also a very irritating skin Candida condition which can be very painful. So eliminating the offending foods and environmental issues does help :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nana Moon 27

I hope your doing good... I've been catching up on posts. Get better soon. Xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
After reading @Pumpkln post about her massive improvement since undertaking gait analysis and her latest update, I'm going to try and find out about it here.

I must look up about gait training. I'm thinking more after I've had my LTKR in June. I know I don't walk quite right so I think it would be good sense into enquiring about it when I go to the hospital again. If not may be I'll ring Freddy the private physio I used before my revision. Even just once a month. He was brilliant.

If I have once a month sessions even that would help. He does all the massages. He was brilliant before my revision. Even though there were problems with the replaced joint those massages helped immensely, as did the acupuncture. I'm sure it was his work that stopped the development of scar tissue problems.

Catch you later x x
 
Nana my physio told me use sticks as long as you eyed to get gait right is better to use sticks then limp and when walking look ahead not down long strides heel.forward to ball then toe I still am not quite right but guess as leg straightens and bend improves so will gait hugs

Why are you having private physio on next op talk to physio sin hospital and ask for referral to physio dept I am having hour week leg class at local hospital community one where you do different things based on op or injury and also one to one sessions with physio at same place


20/01/2015
 
Hi @Homeport

I was paying for private physio in desperation after my first op because the physio I had on the NHS, was hands off, group gym therapy. Then I developed bad probs with knee. I couldn't get anymore PT off the NHS so I paid. It was much better. Unfortunately I needed revision but this really helped with the massage and acupuncture.

However, since revision I had hydrotherapy and plenty of group physio. This has really helped. I will practice my gait using the crutches.

Thank you that was great advice xxx

Love Nana moon 27 x x x
 
I'm so happy to hear you're doing so well after your revision Ann I can't think of anyone who deserves it more you really do and I cannot be more happy for you!!!
I've begin to have some problems on the bottom of my foot I'm afraid since I've had my knees replaced I'm walking the way I should And in return it is causing my foot to Reposition itself I feel like I have a stone in my foot now... So off to the doctor for me As soon as I can!! Will go post it on my page too

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk
 
Hi Ann. I am pleased to hear that you're feeling better overall :ok: Good news. I hope you get the gait sorted out also. My gait is pretty poor recently and I've progressed to using a walking stick for stability. However, I don't really know what height it should be and on which side to carry it! Maybe I'll get a physio opinion. Thinking of you and your next TKR in June! Brave girl! :wink:
 
Hi @Judlepip I just read your great news on your thread ! Yaaay for you xx

Your crutch/stick should be the same side as the problem leg. As for height you should be able to lean on it without bending over. It's best to get the physio to make the necessary height adjustment really.

Thanks for your well wishes. It needs doing desperately.

@suzzee2000 it's lovely to hear from you too. Thanks for your lovely message about my knee. I now have a preoperative thread called Nana Moons Preop thread. Original !!!! I hope you get on ok. Your problem sounds like Plantar fasciitis. A lot of us have suffered that. Just caught up on your thread.

@Judlepip I mean the opposite....aaaargghh x
Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Judlepip I just read your great news on your thread ! Yaaay for you xx

Your crutch/stick should be the same side as the problem leg. As for height you should be able to lean on it without bending over. It's best to get the physio to make the necessary height adjustment really.

Thanks for your well wishes. It needs doing desperately.

@suzzee2000 it's lovely to hear from you too. Thanks for your lovely message about my knee. I now have a preoperative thread called Nana Moons Preop thread. Original !!!! I hope you get on ok. Your problem sounds like Plantar fasciitis. A lot of us have suffered that. Just caught up on your thread.

Love Nana moon 27 xox
I always was told to have it on the opposite side to operated knee if using one with arm straight down so Han rests on it if that helps


20/01/2015
 
I always was told to have it on the opposite side to operated knee if using one with arm straight down so Han rests on it if that helps
Yep! the crutch should be on the opposite side to your operated knee - unless you're the TV doctor, House :heehee:. I found this on the web site: https://www.ehow.com/how_4841743_use-one-crutch.html

Walking with One Crutch

  • 1 When walking with just one crutch, hold the crutch on the opposite side of the affected leg. It is common to want to use the crutch on the injured side, however this just causes you to lean and put more pressure on the injury.
  • 2 When stepping swing the crutch through as you step with the affected side. The crutch and your foot should hit the floor at the same time. Then step through with the unaffected leg
  • 3 . By holding the crutch on the opposite side you can take weight off of the injured side and better support yourself as you walk.
 
@Judlepip my addled brain. I'm so sorry. I won't be offering advice out like this in a hurry again. Thank goodness for the mods! Sorry. Worse still I know which side as I'm still using the stick. Once again sincerest apologies. X

@Homeport thank goodness you we're on the ball. Trust me to saying back to front. Nothing new there though.

@Celle please accept my apologies. My bad.
 
No worries, Ann! I still mix up my left and my right from time to time. :heehee:
 
Hi Nana moon
How are you? Have the positive developments maintained themselves?

It made me laugh to see you getting left and right confused. I have always done that myself but with the pain and the meds it happened for me all of the time! It surprises me how much pain and the meds can really "addle" our brains (including @Legin 's Harold)

xx
 
Hi @copsham

My knees love steroids! I'm able to walk upstairs very easily in the correct manner and even downstairs a few steps without even thinking. However, I'm still getting burning and twitching at night. I've managed to get in and out of the bath unaided. I'm getting up off lower furniture. I know once these leave my system it'll be as usual. Nice while it lasts inc the energy boost.

I'm off to Wales Wednesday night for a couple weeks. The forecast isn't great but the fresh air is what I feel I need xxx

Please take care
Love Ann xxx
 
I need steroids lol maybe I could give knee puff of my asthma pump lol
Nana I cannot even get left and right correct at hydro when doing spotty dogs lol
Hugs
Wales will be lovely break whatever the weather even in rain I love living in Dorset for fresh air and slower pace, we have lived here for six years now xxx


20/01/2015
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom