Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

Ann it sounds like you may have torn your meniscus. The pain is excruciating, or it was to me. If you have a wait before you can do a TKR please ask to be given a cortisone injection if you can. It's like a miracle and may help you get through. It's wonderful though that your revised knee is doing so well for you. Good luck tomorrow!
 
Hi @gr82cu2

This was discussed back in October, for some reason that I forget he said the injections wouldn't work on this because the joint had gone. Now I've spoken to a few people on this site who had injections done even when their joints were gone. However I had the injections and aspiration n my TKR in June and didn't work.

The thing is Janet, it's got tricompartmental osteoarthritis, no synovial fluid behind the knee cap and arthritis of the patella. Also no cartilage left.

This pain is coming through very strong medication xxx

Take care and thanks for all your help and support xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Dearest Ann,
I guess you know what's coming! You have to get that left knee fixed - and the sooner, the better.

I know that's a scary thought, but once the TKR is done, that knee can start getting better, instead of getting worse all the time. Then, you can look forward to a life with two good knees again.
 
Thanks @Celle

I know it's inevitable but now it has to be. I've kind of come to terms with the idea. I'm still a bit wary but I have to get over this.

More than anything I want full mobility, I want to drive, I'm fed up of hobbling around xx

This is the only solution xxx

Love Ann xxx
 
@Celle I sure can. I have so much support off yourself and others. This will be the decision that gives me my life back please xxxxxxx
 
Good luck today Ann. So glad the your new, revised knee is coming along nicely now. Xxx



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Nana moon 27, good luck this morning! Sorry you were having trouble sleeping. Have you tried Chamomile tea or Sleepy Time tea? That might help. Will be anxious to hear about your appointment. Take care, Anne
 
Hi Ann,
Sorry to hear you have to have your other knee done but I think you knew that really. Just a matter of coming to terms with it but you at least have one good strong knee that will make your recovery easier. And you know what to do now after all your experiences bad and good.
I know it's not a great prospect but you need to get rid of the pain.

big hug

Mary x
 
Glad you are on the list for a TKR. I was afraid they would want to do a clean out, postponing the inevitable. I hope you can get this next TKR behind you soon.
Busylizzie, I think they can do a number of revisions.
 
Hi all,

You might know nothing is ever straight forward for me. I had to wait an hour for an X-ray. Then when I got seen they only had a request for my TKR. I had to tell them the left one had to be done as they was the main reason for my visit. After some discussion one went off and phoned a doctor who authorised the left X-ray. .

My consultant was off and I took an immediate dislike to his registrar because of the way he spoke to me. It was patronising. I saw my hubby's jaw clench and I thought oh no. He did everything completely off his own back, disregarding his seniors notes. He clearly hadn't bothered to read them.

I listened and then said "if you would care to read Mr S notes you will see he wanted me to go on the list last October. I got very upset about another TKR and he said he might have considered an arthroscopy but as far as he was concerned the joint was too worn and I'd hAve been back inside a couple of weeks for a replacement". Almost but not quite sarcastically he said you are very young for this procedure and I would recommend an arthroscopy. I pulled my right jogger up, showed my RTKR scar and said really?

He looked very embarrassed and then my husband said Mr S wants her to have a replacement. There is no sense in her coming in for an operation that's only going to hurry up the deterioration of a joint that Mr S has told us she needs replacing and we have it in writing, so a copy will be in her notes. You cannot tell her she's too young when she's already had one done. He went on to say about being stuck on pain meds and not being able to go to work and the effect of this on my mental health.

He looked at the notes Mr S had left and the next thing he filled in the forms and put me on the list. Then he asked me questions about my medical needs. I told asthma, Bronchiectasis....as soon as I said Bronchiectasis he jumped almost down my throat trying to scare me with strong eye contact and said you do realise that any infection you have in your body may travel and infect the knee. I looked right at him and said I was diagnosed with the condition after the surgery with it and had had the condition for some time. My husband then said also can you make sure this time that everything is replaced. He assured my husband it would be.

Then there was a knock at the door and a consultant came in and asked permission for a final year med student who'd got his exams next week if he could examine me, once we were finished with the registrar. My husband said if she wants to then yes.

After finishing with the registrar, who ended up shaking both our hands, I went into the next room for the examination by the student. He was very thorough, gave an accurate diagnosis. Then he looked at my X-rays he correctly identified all the thing Mr S had on the previous X-ray taken at the other hospital. He also pointed out bone spurs on the new one and the further deterioration. The consultant asked the student what would he recommend. He said well this patient is on the young side to have a replacement. We could do an arthroscopy. The consultant said do you think that's going to help with this level of deterioration. The student said well it might get her out of pain. The consultant then said no point, she'd get a few weeks and end up back in having a TKR. The sensible thing to do is replace this. He also said remember the lady's history she already has a RTKR xx

Oh I was glad to get home x x x I'm very tired x x x

Love Ann xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What an ordeal they put you through! Thank goodness your husband was there to stick up for you. Not that you couldn't or wouldn't have stood up for yourself but when we're in an emotional state anyway it helps to have a loved one standing by our side and fighting for what is best for us. I hope you can get a surgery date soon Ann so you can finally put this all behind you and move on. (((Hugs)))
 
Good for hubby. I had to.face.down consultant registrar and head of physio. Tail.between legs for them. Ann its started at last rest now

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi Ann, I'm so glad you have an answer at long last. You were so right to say no to the arthroscopy, I just wasn't given a choice in August, it was a total waste of time and money, and in fact put me in in more pain than before the procedure. I do hope that they give you a date soon.
 
Sounds like a heavy day Ann....bet you're glad that's over! I think you realised another TKR was inevitable..,but it's another thing to have it confirmed.
Do hope that you get a date quickly .....waiting is just the worst.
I'm sure you feel relieved in one way....but anxious on the other hand. Thinking of you ...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom