Revision TKR Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!

My news is that my pain killers worked.....I WALKED UPSTAIRS PROPERLY FOR THE FIRST TIME FOR WELL OVER 12 MONTHS!:loveshwr::wowspring::beer::cheers: :happydance::yay:

I just walked upstairs normally. One foot, one stair, left, right, woohoo. First time In over a year!!!!! Woooooooooflipppinhoooooooooo yaaaaay xxxxxx :yes!:

Love Ann x x
 
Hi @dogwheels

Anyway yes it was the hydropool that gave me the confidence. Although unlike here there was a hand rail either side to grip on to and the steps were much shallower than these stair. Doesn't matter I did it. I. Not going to push my luck but fingers crossed now this is me moving on.

Lunch with my sil was ok but she was very concerned about my shaking. It's early days and I know I'll get better.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ann,
Fantastic you were able to use alternating feet to go up the stairs.
I am going to post Josephines questions for you to get a better idea about your recovery, Thanks!

First I have some questions to ask you:

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!
)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)
 
Anyway my news is that my pain killers worked.....I WALKED UPSTAIRS PROPERLY FOR THE FIRST TIME FOR WELL OVER 12 MONTHS!:loveshwr::wowspring::beer::cheers: :happydance::yay:

I just walked upstairs normally. One foot, one stair, left, right, woohoo. First time In over a year!!!!! Woooooooooflipppinhoooooooooo yaaaaay xxxxxx :yes!:

That's wonderful news, Ann!
 
First I have some questions to ask you:

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Woohoo I'm starting to feel better!
)
About 6 and very stiff now. Due to take meds.

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
morphine 90 mg a day but I've reduced down to 50 mg (20mg am/30mg pm). Paracetamol 2x500mg, four times a day.

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
About half an hour to an hour a day. I don't ice and elevate every single day. Sometimes I just stretch my legs out in front of me on the bed and rest for a while or have a nap on my side with both knees bent.
5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
I wash up if there's not too much. Otherwise I load the dishwasher. I sweep the kitchen floor. Clean all the work tops. Plump up the cushions. Vacuum. Clean the bathroom. Peg out washing but not everyday I find this very hard because of three very steep stone steps down into my garden. They're often slippery I have to have a crutch in one hand and a small amount of washing In the other. I Peg it out and return for more. It gets really tiring. . I try to use the indoor washing rack In front of the radiator. Or occasionally the tumble dryer for towels and bedding. I am unable to go shopping on my own, as I'm not allowed to drive until I'm off the morphine. I'm not able to walk any real distance yet but I'm working on it around the house and the occasional shopping trip. I can prepare a meal but I'm so forgetful on all my medication (not just knee) that I'm not allowed to use the cooker unless someone is in the house. I nearly blew the cooker up a couple of weeks ago and yesterday I put a pan of oil on for sausages and completely forgot it was on. My daughter rescued it just in time. I can do microwave meals which I am not keen on. I am allowed to cook easy meals if hubby is in.

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

Leg raises x20, towel under the back of knee x20, lunges on the stairs x10, leg raises with foot turned outwards x10, I try to walk out I to the garden when weather permits and I walk up and down the path which is a fair length, twice when weather permits. Have just started hydrotherapy which I love


Thank you @Josephine
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Nana moon 27
4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
About half an hour to an hour a day. I don't ice and elevate every single day. Sometimes I just stretch my legs out in front of me on the bed and rest for a while or have a nap on my side with both knees bent.

:blackcloud:Hmmm! Ice and elevation are your friend :) Think it would help your pain level a lot if you scheduled it 2-3x per day. Think of it as an external pain med to add to your arsenal!:arrow:
 
Icing and elevating could well help with your night-time pain as well.

I used to go to sleep with an ice pack on my knee and replace it with a fresh, cold one when I woke in the night. I had an insulted bin (chilly bin, we call them) beside the bed, with several frozen packs in it, so that I did not have to make a trip to the freezer in the middle of the night.

Even now, I still ice in the evenings, when my knee is tired and sore. It's amazing how quickly the ice takes away most of the pain.
 
Yes I think you're right @Chihuahuan! You made me think the other day when you mentioned it and I thought then I'd nene neglecting it. I received my Christmas order off The Entertainer only to find that the silly whatsits have sent me someone else's children's presents. I got straight on to them. I've to ring them in the morning. Apparently Black Friday put their system into meltdown. I'm cross because this box is really big and it's stuck in my bedroom, which isn't the biggest, where hubby's left it aaaarrrgghh x I ordered a t shirt for my eldest grandson and a pair of trainer type things for my granddaughter. I think they're ugly but they're what she wants. I also got my nephews present with a couple of pounds off.

@Celle @busylizzie I'm going down now to get my ice pack, thank you for your help xxx

Love Ann xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Morning all,

I've woken up in pain. Got up walked around until it eased. Did my chores, did the tea and toast. Went back downstairs to bet the ice pack and now Im being very good icing and elevating x x x

I'm tired now xxxx

Catch you later xxx
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, it is amazing how just to have our bodies heal it takes a lot of our strength out of us. So ice, elevate, and rest. I actually woke up today without pain. The back pain has subsided. Oh my goodness.Thank goodness. Hope you have a good day Ann. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 and friends,
Ann, I'm glad things are going so well for you at the moment, what a difference a week makes! I totally agree with @Celle, icing and elevating are just another form of medication. Do you remember how I used to spend ages with my legs up the wall, with ice wrapped round my knee? It reduced the swelling really well. I also used to have a cool bag by the side of my bed with ice refills for use during the night, then my husband didn't need to get up in the night for me.
 
About 6 and very stiff now.
Okay but you do know thta stiffneessis a form of pain, don't you?
morphine 90 mg a day but I've reduced down to 50 mg (20mg am/30mg pm). Paracetamol 2x500mg, four times a day.
And does this control your pain?
About half an hour to an hour a day. I don't ice and elevate every single day. Sometimes I just stretch my legs out in front of me on the bed and rest for a while or have a nap on my side with both knees bent.
Well, you should be! You're only 10 weeks out and still having significant pain.
I wash up if there's not too much. Otherwise I load the dishwasher. I sweep the kitchen floor. Clean all the work tops. Plump up the cushions. Vacuum. Clean the bathroom. Peg out washing but not everyday I find this very hard because of three very steep stone steps down into my garden. They're often slippery I have to have a crutch in one hand and a small amount of washing In the other. I peg it out and return for more. It gets really tiring. . I try to use the indoor washing rack In front of the radiator. Or occasionally the tumble dryer for towels and bedding.

I am unable to go shopping on my own, as I'm not allowed to drive until I'm off the morphine. I'm not able to walk any real distance yet but I'm working on it around the house and the occasional shopping trip. I can prepare a meal but I'm so forgetful on all my medication (not just knee) that I'm not allowed to use the cooker unless someone is in the house. I nearly blew the cooker up a couple of weeks ago and yesterday I put a pan of oil on for sausages and completely forgot it was on. My daughter rescued it just in time. I can do microwave meals which I am not keen on. I am allowed to cook easy meals if hubby is in.
okay but that's an awful lot of activity for only 10 weeks out.

Your exercises - my comment in bold
How many times a day do you do these at home?

Leg raises x20 - too many. Do about 5 first thing in the morning only
towel under the back of knee x20 - to do what? Half leg raises?
lunges on the stairs x10 - do 5 twice a day but never ever cause yourself pain doing them. Only ever to the point of discomfort
leg raises with foot turned outwards x10 - why? What purpose do these achieve?
I try to walk out to the garden when weather permits and I walk up and down the path which is a fair length, twice when weather permits - how long is your garden? And is that twice a day? with all the other avtivity you are doing, you don't need to do this as well!!
Have just started hydrotherapy which I love - that's good but do make sure you're not over doing it because that's awfully easy to do. Remember the mantra - 'if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again'!
 
@Josephine it manages the pain to a degree. I have to expect some discomfort. The problem is I'm desperately trying to come off the morphine slowly. My GP has flatly refused to take me off "a perfectly good form of medication that works" despite my repeated pleas to get off it. When I went into meltdown and my daughter took me to see him, she asked him about it. He said while I'm in pain i need to take it. He said I'm sensible enough to manage the dose. The trouble is I've given the impression I'm addicted to it and this had been commented upon on this site before now (in my best interests). He reassured my daughter that I was anything but addicted. He said he was happy that while I'm in pain there's no addiction. I also had it suggested to me on this site (in my best interests) that maybe my body's producing pain so I have to take the morphine. That's seems to make sense to be honest. I've cut down slowly over the last month or so from 90 mg to 50 mg of Morphine. I'll be honest sometimes this dose isn't effective. I've been on morphine since last September. I was on 30 mg a day and 8 paracetamol. My body had got used to co codamol, Tramadol and others. That's why I was put on morphine Obviously I can't take NSAIDs because of my respiratory problems.

I have taken on board I'm overdoing it which is probably causing discomfort and stiffness. The reason I do the leg raises with my foot out turned is to strengthen the quads. I was advised to do this by a private physio.

What do you think? I would appreciate your opinion. Thank you for your time Josephine.

Bless you Ann x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My previous post to Josephine was to clarify if that is happening to me. Right now I don't know what to think anymore. Is my body producing pain because it's craving the drug? I just don't know. I'm due to see the GP again on the 5th and I'm going to try with my daughter to get something else off him as long as I can hold myself together. I'm scared myself Ellen that maybe I am addicted. I don't know? I'm awfully confused. I got it into my head that I'm regarded as an addict and that thought although irrational eats away at me. So thank you for reassuring me. It is a very real fear.

By the way I do appreciate everyone's concern. I'm nine weeks out of my revision and to be honest as you know I'm a bit all over the place at the moment but I'm doing well in other respects.

I need a step down drug that's for sure. There's no way I'm going to get off on to bare paracetamol. I can tell that now. My daughter asked the GP to take me off them when she took me there the week when I went into meltdown. He used that stock phrase "you're not addicted. Why should I take you off a perfectly good pain med!" I'm sick of him saying that. That's being proven with the fact I can't get off below 50mg morphine. I need something different. Ive tried and tried to get below 50 mg and it results in even less sleep. I crawl these walls at night sometimes, this is what I'm going to try and tell him. If I can't my daughter will. When the morphine doesn't work some nights because i need to take a higher dose, that makes me feel like I'm addicted x it's the worst feeling ever. Self doubt. Doubting my own judgement. Doubting everything.

Love Ann x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
He said he was happy that while I'm in pain there's no addiction.
I'd agree with no addiction but one can become dependent which is quite different. However, I don't believe you are dependent either.

Let me tell you a story - I know a lady who sustained a lower spinal injury in her teens. She is now in her eighties but still suffers really bad back pain because of it. Years ago she was put on a drug called DF118 - the generic form is di-hydrocodeine. For years she took one in the morning and one before retiring and though it didn't make her completely pain-free, it was enough to let her do a days work (she was a cordon bleu chef so worked in some very demanding kitchens with long hours).

But there came a time, back in the early 70s when our austere government issued and edict that too much money was being spent on proprietary brand drugs when the generic would do and the order went out that wherever possible, the generic form should be prescribed. This hit my friend badly as di-hydrocodeine and DF118 are actually quite different and I had this confirmed in writing by the chief pharmacist at the manufacturers Duncan Flockhart that the recipe for DF118 contained more than just di-hydrocodeine. Despite this, my friend's GP still refused to prescribe her DF118 on trh grounds that they were exactly the same. But - and this is the insane bit - she would prescribe he as much di-hydrocodeine as she wanted! Only problem was it didn't work for her.

This argument went on for months and years until she (the dr) finally agreed to write her a private prescription for DF118 but only for 30 tablets per month which meant she could only take one a day and on 31 day months, she had to go a day without any! But that still wasn't enough for this doctor - she wrote across her notes and every letter she wrote to any hospital consultant, in red block capitals - "this person is addicted to DF118"! And that has followed her around all these years. No redress. At least people with false bad credit ratings can get them corrected, this poor lady had no redress at all. And the tragedy of this story is that never, over all the years before and after this nonsense, did I ever get the impression that my friend was in any way addicted or even dependent. She had genuine pain and this drug was the only thing that worked for her. Shocking.

My point in tell you this story is that people are very eager to label people with long term pain 'addicts' but for the ordinary person- meanign those without an addictive personality - it's a nonsense. It's perfectly possible to take pain killers long term without getting addicted.
I also had it suggested to me on this site (in my best interests) that maybe my body's producing pain so I have to take the morphine. That's seems to make sense to be honest.
Absolutely not! The chemistry of pain doesn't not work like that. Should a person get pain when trying to come off an addiction, it's more likely to be stomach cramps and generalised muscles pains.
The reason I do the leg raises with my foot out turned is to strengthen the quads. I was advised to do this by a private physio.
Well, he's wrong! Your muscle don't need strengthening, they need rest and stretches. Don't do them.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom