THR Woodstockhip’s Recovery Thread

Sounds like everything is proceeding ok. Butt pain, groin pull, glute all the same that I have. When I tell you to have patience it goes for me too, and boy am I an impatient patient.

You sound to be moving right along in your recovery! I did the same as Leejaa, reverted to using my walker when I felt fatigued using the cane. No shame in using tools available to us, especially if it helps keep us safe.

Well, they cancelled my post-op for tomorrow due to an emergency! I feel badly for the person who is in need of emergent care but DAMN, I was so hoping I could have a ceremonial destruction of the TED hose. Hopefully they will be able to put me in later in the week. @Elf1 and @leejaa, yes, I am fine using the walker if I get too tired with the cane. And @Softtail, we appear to be on a similar recovery trajectory, impatient patients that we are!

I was so hoping I could have a ceremonial destruction of the TED hose

Call your surgeons office and ask if you can burn them yet. Nasty ol things! They may inquire about your activity level and give you permission to toss them. I hated them and called to see if I could ditch them and was told by my surgeons PA that they’re happy if people wear them for half the time they’re prescribed for. I think they over prescribe the hours in a day they want you to wear them knowing most will despise them and cheat! Ssh, don’t tell, between you and me only. :wink:
They do serve a purpose...aside from annoying us.

I’ve been meaning to update my bone pals but was waiting for a couple of post op visits. I had my visit back to the surgeon's PA last Tuesday and she seemed to think everything was going along well. The xrays showed a decided pelvic tilt which, we hope, will improve with strengthening and healing. The implant looked great, the dressing was removed and the incision was fine. There was very little bruising and swelling, underlining once again, the benefits of icing and elevation. I go back in early November for the next visit, this one with the surgeon. The next day, I had a venous Doppler to make sure there were no blood clots (there were not) and, HOORAY, I ditched the satanic TED hose.

Somewhere along the way, I ditched the walker and started using the cane, probably around the two week mark. I can hobble around without it but like to have it nearby since those first few steps are always a bit iffy. Last night I slept without benefit Oxy, and that felt GREAT.

After being held captive in the house or on the deck for weeks, a friend took me for a visit to a nearby town and we walked around, ate lunch and window shopped. I felt it the next day. It is soooo easy to overdo.

Today was my first outpatient PT. Thankfully, my PT is of the “if it hurts, don’t do it” school. We did some standing exercises as well as the usual glute squeezes, lower leg lifts, and the one where you press the backs of your knees down.

There was one that the original home PT tried to get me to do the very first week and I still can’t do it...you lie on your back and extend the operated leg straight out to the side and back. It goes out and refuses to come back. Something in the groin screams bloody murder. We stopped that and I did it standing, with no trouble at all. Strange.

Anyway, physically and psychologically I am light years ahead of where I was two weeks ago and in large part, I thank all of you for your support, humor, and understanding. :console2:

Congratulations on your dressing removal and getting rid of the TED hose. Big milestones on the journey. It is nice to get out and as you say so easy to overdo when we feel good.

I was glad to hear that your PT is of the do no harm school of thought. It takes a lot more muscles to move a leg up and out and back laying down then moving it while standing. It will come. You are way early on your recovery. Keep up the good work of icing/elevating and listening to your hip.

Have a peaceful day.

:wave:
Nice to hear you are seeing improvements and some of your "deficits" will definitely resolve with time ... Stay slow and steady...lots of healing still happening.
Hope today is a Good Day.:SUNsmile:

Happy Three Week Anniversary!
Each one of these early weeks feel like a milestone. At least I thought so. Recovery is one of those occasions when you want time to pass a little more quickly. Your office visit sounded reassuring and you‘re progressing nicely.

It sounds like you did a quick drive thru the ODIC (Over Did It Club) after your lunch, window shopping / walking date with a friend. I wish we could have offered some cautionary advice. Outings seem to be a common cause for over doing it early on. Problem is, it usually never hurts until afterward. The good thing is any discomfort it caused sounds like it was short lived and accidentally over doing it definitely teaches us our limitations in the early weeks.

I think you’re doing great. Keep it up and have a great Tuesday and week!
@Woodstockhip

”Mama said there’d be days like this...” Remember that song? MAN, today has been one of those days. I feel like I took a giant step backwards — like the scribbly recovery drawing. Zingy nerve pains, lower back pains, calf zaps, plus the usual deep ache and glute pain. I had PT yesterday but didn’t overdo it — we did a lot of balance work, time on the bike, and really gentle movement. The weather doesn’t help — nasty, rainy and gloomy. So, I've been on the couch pretty much all day, moving the ice packs around to whatever part needs them most. And to add insult to injury, I BURNT MY PIZZA! Okay, vent over.

Burnt pizza oh no!:gaah: But as early on as you are balance work and the bike even without resistance may have been enough for your hip to be unhappy.

Sings and zaps and burnt pizza, oh my! I sure hope yesterday was an improvement and that today is even better. Wishing you a sunshine, lollipops and rainbows everything..kind of day. Remember that song? :wink: :SUNsmile:
@Woodstockhip

Yikes! Here's hoping the pain zing, burnt pizza days get less and less frequent. Months from now, we'll think burnt pizza has nothing to do with our surgery.

:friends:
Hi, hippy pal.
Sorry to hear you are struggling, but pleased to see you taking it on with a realistic attitude... Just a bad day, a snapshot in time, and temporary.:sigh:
Doesn't make it easier when you are all up in in it, but Keep the Faith friend ... It's all worth it on the end.:yes:

:hi:Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re enjoying steady progress and looking forward to a wonderful holiday season and a fantastic 2021.
A great rest of the week to you! :)
@Woodstockhip

Thanks, @Layla. Funny, in some ways it feels like the longest month ever, and in others, it feels like it flew by, depending on how my hip is feeling at that particular moment. So...a progress report (though I can't say it's been "steady" progress!)

I'm off the cane in the house. I do take it if I'm walking outside, since I'm a little gun-shy about non-level ground. I'm down to Advils every 6 hours or so and (hooray), the raised toilet seat, walker and shower seat have been returned to the loan closet. I'm driving, and I'm sleeping pretty well, though I'm always up once or twice at night. I still nap occasionally, but didn't today. So that's the good stuff.

On the other hand, today, when I *really* felt like celebrating, I found myself in quite a bit of pain, deep in the glute. Icing isn't really helping, nor is Advil. It almost feels as if I tore something in there. I know, that is highly unlikely, but this isn't the usual deep ache. It's more of a searing, throbbing pain. How common is that, a month in?

Congratulations @Woodstockhip, a month down all ready! I have loved following your recovery because even on the sucky days you still sound so positive! I’m sorry you’re having glute pain. It truly is something new every day, isn’t it? And just when you think you’re making progress something else crops up to make us scratch our heads! I have no answer for you, other than to say when my OS gave me my op report this week (and I made the mistake of reading it in detail) I finally understood why my muscles have hurt so much. It’s amazing where they stick retractors! Hope you can find a way to ease it soon.

I have no answer for you, other than to say when my OS gave me my op report this week (and I made the mistake of reading it in detail) I finally understood why my muscles have hurt so much. It’s amazing where they stick retractors! Hope you can find a way to ease it soon.

That's so funny -- I read my detailed operative report this afternoon (after having to pay $6.50 for the privilege!!) and I thought the same thing. Yikes! Pins and retractors and insertions and planes?!? Good thing we're asleep.

Good Evening,
It seems you’re doing well and making good progress aside from the deep pain you’ve mentioned. Does this article describe your pain?
I hope whatever it is it eases soon. I wish you peaceful sleep tonight
@Woodstockhip

@Layla, Thanks for sharing Josephine's article. I asked the PT about it. She seemed to think it had to do with the sacroiliac joint and did some work to try to adjust things. But it could be the piriformis. Everything is so close together and since it's all connected, it's hard to tell. So far, I'm treating it exactly the way the the article suggested, with the exception of those exercises which would violate the Prime Directive (the hip precautions!).

Pain in the butt is common. I've had it with both sides and it tends to go away after a while like most of the rest of the pains. I wouldn't worry too much about adjustments just yet. Once you get further down the road doing some of the stretches will help.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88