THR Wished I'd found you before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chrissie, @Hoppy Nanny if a member adds a full stop or a comma after the member name I have found that I do not get the alerts - hope this helps.. I am keen to know how your appointment went? - many hugs from OZ xx
 
Hi Chrissie @Hoppy Nanny Hope you had a lovely Christmas too... and we did enjoy our lobsters (though our dog is obviously VERY spoiled as he turned his nose up at the leftovers the next day!!)

Now, I just caught up with your thread and read you're having gallbladder "issues"... that was one of my medical dramas this year; I had the fall in Feb, kidney stone in April, Gallbladder 'attack' in May, Gallbladder removal in June then the THR in Oct... 2015 HAS to be a better year :heehee: My gallbladder issues are not to do with my weight, as I'm in "normal" weight range, but I do make a lot of Uric Acid - so I have a history of kidney stones as well. I had the "settling down" periods too... they're just an evil trick:rotfl:

I can honestly say that the op was not a huge one (it did, to be fair, leave me more tired for a few weeks than I was expecting, and I did have what they call "wing tip" pain in the outer shoulders for the first day or so which is from the gas they inflate your abdomen with, and no two ways about it... it was uncomfortable, but gone quickly) the scars are TINY, no stitches just steri strips, paracetemol if required (it was, for about one day!) The thing I want to emphasize is that I cannot believe the difference - as in improvement - it made to my, what I call "general health"! I have been suffering what I thought was IBS for years.... GONE, I had the nausea, abdominal discomfort, heartburn, "full" feeling, reflux, name it!... GONE, the tiredness/lack of energy/listlessness, GONE. I did NOT want this surgery, my OS would not do the THR with a potential source of inflammation present so as soon as they saw the gallstones on my CT scan I knew I was in for an op, end of story. I had the CT scan for the kidney stone, so it was an incidental find - I had a gallbladder "attack", you know THE pain last year and hubby and I tried all the self help remedies for trapped wind for an hour and a half until it abated, we congratulated ourselves on finding the solution, then when THE pain happened again in May we realized what it was and that the pain abated after about an hour and a half anyway - when I think back to the rolling around contortionist antics last year I feel like, as we say here, a bit of a galah:rotfl:

Apart from my hysterectomy, which was a cancer related issue, I would rate this as the best reward for effort surgery I've had :snork: My tummy was a bit "iffy" for a couple of weeks, so I had to watch my diet and not stray too far from a loo :bolt: but some of the horror stories I read (ah, the internet, blessing AND curse) have not been my experience; I have to not gorge (really gorge) on fatty food, but that was never my thing anyway, and that's the only limitation it has brought, the improvements are grand :wow:

Anyway, that's MY gallbladder story; I just wanted to reassure you, I know you suffer from anxiety like me... it is hard for us stressy types to BE reassured, but I really hope I've helped.

Good luck with the weight loss, you sound like you're doing really well with it, I lost 6Kg a few years ago (managed to keep it off too, good on me, lol) and it made a big difference to my knees, so well worth the effort. BTW, I love the Christmas Tree napkins :cool:

Donna xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Poppet It automatically puts a full stop after my tagging....will take it out...will let you know result...3.30 today for fasting ultrasound...so no food until tonight...kick start the diet!

@craftdee I'll be your dog...certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at lobster leftovers!
Thanks so much for telling me about your experience ( what a year you've had!). I've had exactly those symptons.....not kidney stones thank goodness. Just felt blah, blah all year. I certainly don't want an op but will see what they say...I think just knowing what it is helps.
I love reading your posts....they brighten my day.....might even get some alerts now I've taken Poppets advice.
Take care & thanks again...Chrissie xx



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well...results of further ultrasound & consultation....gall bladder full of stones....!! I'm waiting now for GP referral to see another consultant.....I'm quite OK about it as it's better than any other nasties. X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well I guess in a way this is good news! Get that consultation scheduled so you can get this done and dusted. Compared to your THR - gall bladder surgery is fairly simple. Just hope you don't have to deal with the painful stones!
 
Hopefully the second consultant will provide more answers Chrissie. GB surgeries are so quick and easy these days. Looking forward to reading how you go with the second opinion xx
 
Wishing everyone a Happy & Healthy New Year xxxx
[Bonesmart.org] Wished I'd found you before



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny . hi chrissie. hope things get sorted out for you. at least you know what's going on. a major drag but from what people are saying, it shouldn't be so hard to recover. hope this year brings you good health.
 
Thanks Devorah @dickinson I'm sure all will be fine...I'm just glad to know what is causing the pain....best wishes to you & thanks so much for checking in...it means a lot....here's to a special 2015 for us all.....Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Chrissie @Hoppy Nanny just read your post on Sheryl's thread, so sorry to hear you're feeling so :sick: I hope you get your gallbladder sorted out... I had mine out in June last year, after the kidney stones and gallbladder "attack"... it was a bad year remember?! Well as for the gallbladder removal THAT bit wasn't bad! I didn't realize how unwell it was making me feel, I have been treating symptoms for years... just not as symptoms of gallstones :heehee: If it wasn't for the kidney stones in April when I had a CT scan and found the stones I would still be putting up with those horrible attacks and all the insidious symptoms which I treated variably as IBS, an ulcer, a symptom of the SLE I may or may not have! (that's not me thinking I've got it, it's my rheumatologist saying I tick 7 of 8 "markers", testing, then not telling me if it's yea or nay and what would be the procedure if it was yea... I'm guessing now it's nay but didn't know then!)

I can honestly say my general health is the best it's been in YEARS, the aches and nausea are GONE, (well the OA ones aren't, but you know what I mean :tada:) the constant stomach upsets are GONE, that "I can't put my finger on it, I just feel blugh" feeling is GONE. The first week was pretty uncomfortable, but only paracetemol worthy :snork: I get very little in the way of digestion problems since I had it out, it was a fear when you hear the horror stories of having to be near a loo all the time, never being able to eat x y z again; I was like that for the first two or three weeks, then it settled down as long as I kept my diet reasonably bland - after a couple more weeks I ate and still do eat what I like and occasionally get a bit of a tummy thing after a fat-heavy meal; as I don't like "fat" it tends not to happen very often, and it's still not as bad as before.:yes!: This is MY experience, there is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that this is the case, but my surgeon was NOT offering it as a benefit.... he simply removed a diseased organ, as required. He had the personality of a piece of wood so I didn't expect much from him in the support department anyway :heehee: but he is a highly experienced surgeon, you only have to deal with them twice... and the follow up appointment took less than five minutes!... so I didn't care about his personality :cool:

What you have is also known as "gravel". My surgeon said that while it was my decision to have the op or not, my stones were big enough to be an immediate threat (of blocking the ducts) but that gravel could ALSO cause the problem so he would take the whole gallbladder rather than blasting the stones... and anyway the stones invariably come back. I really REALLY didn't want surgery, I am (like many people I'm sure) "surgery averse"; my OS basically INSISTED I had it done before he would proceed with the THR, he wanted any "underlying causes of inflammation" to be addressed before surgery. I had the surgery 9 days after consultation with the General Surgeon. It is the first surgery I've had where I was really given a choice (my appendix ruptured - no choice, unresponsive CIN2 made me feel my hysterectomy was a no brainer, serious jaw infection = apicoectomy) and I am SO glad I took it.

I would normally counsel FOR surgery, but if I were you I would start getting stompy about getting it done. I don't know the exact state or position of the NHS with this sort of thing, I do know I consider myself lucky to be in our system as every procedure I have had done has been deemed necessary and done within days... even the THR was considered Level 2 "necessary but not life threatening" and I was offered THAT in 9 days - though I chickened out on that occasion and took them up on the offer when I was ready:chuckmarch:. Can you get other opinions? If you can impress on the specialist just how unwell you are feeling, and that you are looking at another joint replacement in the near future and would think that having underlying inflammation would be a negative thing in that recovery... or indeed in the decision as to whether the OS would proceed (it may be worth consulting your OS and see what his take is on it) you may see some action.

As I've said I have battled depression and anxiety for many years (I don't like using the word battled, it sounds dramatic, but a battle it is!) :bawl:I have it well controlled now, but I do know my limitations and triggers and really can't believe I haven't fallen prey after the emotional onslaught of THR... don't get me wrong I am VERY grateful. Even people who have known me for a long time are surprised to dscover that I am a sufferer, I am generally a "bubbly" sort of girl, I think they expect me to be wailing and gnashing my teeth all the time:rotfl: I do think that my general health being so much better, just feeling so much better in myself, has had a HUGE impact on it. I have the sneaking suspicion that if I still had the daily blughs I'd be feeling pretty sorry for myself about NOW, depression and anxiety are REAL and they cause you REAL pain... so I'd be doing whatever I could to avoid it.... what are you doing still reading this? You should be on the phone demanding a consult.

I really REALLY hope you are feeling better soon, you have been such a great support for me, and I see you supporting many others here. You deserve to feel better

Donna :console2:
 
Hi @Hoppy Nanny

Chrissie I'm sorry to read you're not too well right now. You have supported me through some right horrible times and I want to thank you. I'm sending you a ((((big hug))) x

@craftdee, nice to meet you. I too have fallen prey to the dreaded A&D, I'm currently having CBT but this seems to be a slow process. It's linked to being isolated so long and having no independence and so on. Then family stuff. I'm not as bad as I was. It's surprising how many people on here seem to get an episode during the recovery x

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Hello @Hoppy Nanny
Just a quick comment re your gall stones. My mother when she was 86 yrs old had lots of small gallstones and was not operated on due to her general health. With in 6 months they had gone - apparently the bile can wash them away. but as craftdee said they can get stuck! So I will pray for a miracle with yours - either a quick unobtrusive op or a disappearance.
 
Donna @craftdee
Thanks so much.....I must say that I found your original post to me about the gallstones so reassuring...it was just how I've felt......blurgh!! No one else put it do succinctly...
The consultant says that there are lots of very small stones & doesn't want to operate as he says they empty out in the normal course of events ....and there is no guarantee they won't still keep forming. I can feel an episode coming on several days before it reaches a peak...nausea, stomach pain, bloating, back & shoulder pain....it sets me off in a panic, especially if I've planned to have the grandkids or gave a social occasion lined up....which is all the time as all of our friends are retired now so we are always out somewhere!!

I'm so pleased the op 'cured' your problem.....how fabulous....even if they agreed to the op there is a 6-9 months waiting list! I am just over a stone overweight but as I was a Slimming World Consultant for five years I eat a very low fat diet ( I lost 2 stone very quickly as they say this may have caused the stones).

My THR is just fabulous...no pain at all...I'm so glad I had it done but the other hip has just started playing up...you know that awful pain when you sit that goes in your buttock, down the femur and into the leg ( I'm hoping it's the cold & damp weather) & then my knee is so painful.....its at these times, with all the pain together that I get really down....my lovely hubby of 44 years is great...but he's so ridiculously healthy & gets no pain....so really doesn't 'get it' at all. He can't understand the anxiety it all brings........we all just want to get on with our busy lives!!

I see you are still suffering with pain from your THR, Donna.....but I would say 'hang on in there' as it really, really does take a year to get the ROM and if you get back problems that does hold you back. Because of my back op I still can't even cross that leg...but it is so much better than before the op....but it did take a full year to get the gait correct & the stiffness gone.

I so appreciate your comments .....just being on here makes me feel more ' normal'.

@Nana moon 27
Thanks for the hugs....need them right now!! I know this episode will pass (to be taken up by something else, no doubt!) but it is so getting to me.....I know you know how I feel as you've so been through the mill......it is the independence thing that worries me the most.....everything seems such a battle sometimes...even just the normal, everyday stuff which we would have done without thinking some years ago....CBT is a very useful tool, Ann. It takes time & practice...my darling 16 year old Grandaughter suffered severely with OCD when her Dad left her Mum when she was 7 ( and her brother 7 months old)....... We paid for her to have it privately & it so helped her to cope.....it still comes out sometimes but she knows how to deal with it.

Hoping your knees are less painful. Will catch up on your thread.

@copsham
That's exactly what the Consultant said to me.....it's great to know your Mums went away...here's hoping....you've given me some hope...thank you so much.

Lots of love to you all....Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] Wished I'd found you before

Dear Chrissie

I do hope that you are okay and wish you all the very best for a Happy Birthday! All my love from Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Thank you so much for your lovely birthday wishes @Nana moon 27
21 again ?..... Thanks so much for taking the time to post...you are so lovely.
I'm ok now.......but.....had a bad fall about 4 weeks ago....threw me into a bit of a downward spiral....it's been a tough few weeks but I'm getting there now! So been MIA for a while....how are you? Will try & catch up on everyone's threads..love Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh Chrissie are you ok? Just realised it's your twins birthday although I never actually chatted to her I did read some of her posts.

Chrissie maybe not today being your birthday, but another day, would you tell us what happened please? X

I was genuinely shocked to hear about your fall and I hope al is ok with you x x

Love Ann xxx
 
Chrissie, so sorry to hear you went thru a fall.
Glad you have recovered from that.
Happy belated birthday wishes to you...
 
@Hoppy Nanny I'm just popping in to see how everyone is doing. Sorry to hear that you've had a hard time lately. Hope you are feeling better and recovering ok from the fall! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom