Revision THR will I ever reach the end of this drama?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I typically get my husband to do the ironing as with his military career, he is MUCH BETTER at it than I am. I'm not proud, I will admit that in this ONE thing, he is better than I am.
 
oh dear i am in trouble here. I went to physio on friday. Went ok apart from i think he expected me to have a bigger range of movement than i did. Cant understand why they cant read records. I did not have a straight forward revision and i have a long and complicated history.
They gave me some more excercises to do and i have been doing them twice a day. However over the past 2 days i have been getting more and more pain. Starting at the top of my pelvis, into my hip, down my leg and into my foot. Am in so much paim am beginning to regret going to the physio at all. :sigh:
 
Millie, just an amateur opinion here, but are you keeping up your pain meds? PT should not hurt a lot. I quit my pain pills within a couple of weeks after my operation because I had no pain. However, after reading advice here, I'm now taking Tylenol and find my recovery and PT goes much better.

As an aside, I grew up in the UK as a kid in the 1950s. I thought the service provided by the NHS was just fine. From reading this forum, a lot of you appear to be getting good service, but I also see one or two that are treated indifferently. Are your health care workers and doctors unionized?
 
Evening Oldyellr
I as still taking the same meds as when i had my surgery. Like you i tried to reduce them after a couple of week and the pain increased. After coming on here and reading posts from those who know i increased them again. The physio who treated was a second year student so just hope he knows his stuff. Have to go back on Monday.
 
Millie, please take care not to over do things in PT. I had to learn the hard way. I suffered from increasing pain, much like you are describing. My surgeon believes that it was directly related to straight leg raises, and weighted straight leg raises. Needless to say, at my appointment yesterday afternoon, he discontinued my PT until December 7th. He wants me to rest and give the hip and muscles a chance to settle down. Lesson learned.

So, ice, elevate and medicate and you will be feeling better before you know it.

Tammy
 
Hi Tammy
I am going to ring thenphysio in the morning. They didnt look at all my medical history and i think the were expecting my joints to move in a certain way but after so many surgeries over the years they only move the way they want too.
They were saying my pelvis was very tilted and said to start with i needed to do excersises to help get the muscles to work so i had better posture. Dont think my pelvis wants to move. I did have nearly half my pelvis rebuilt during my surgery as it broke every time they tried place the socket into the bone.
Wont do more than my legs will let me. Am hoping to get some sleep tonight. Working full time and no sleep is not good !!
Take care :kittykiss:
 
Hello Millie,

I had hip revision surgery at the end of August. It wasn't straight forward as I had left it to get so bad. I needed very large bone grafts and for the first 7 weeks after I was beginning to despair it would ever get less painful. And, all the time I was getting asked by my family "Are you doing your exercises?" Well, yes, I was trying, but all I gained from it was more pain. If ever things felt a bit better a bit of exercising was guaranteed to cure that!!

So I stopped and slowly, things began to improve. I went for my 12 week check up a couple of weeks ago and my Surgeon was pleased with my progress. Did say to keep on using one stick for as long as I felt I needed it.

And, I could have hugged him. My husband asked him what exercises I should be doing. He said "NONE" !!

As he explained it, it took years for my muscles to get in this state, I also had my muscles and tendons stretched as that leg was 2 1/2" shorter than the other. He said they need time to heal, not keep damaging them with exercising. He said to just do my everyday things, go for walks when I feel like it. As he pointed out, I can walk around now and do things I haven't been able to do for years, this is all building up the muscles.

His opinion is that these booklets with exercises they send us home with from the hospital should be banned. I've now had three hip replacements and I am inclined to agree with him.

Hope you start feeling better soon, you have certainly been through the mill.
 
Afternoon Hippys
I have phoned and spoken to the physio. He said the exceccises they gave me were to help with posture and my pelvis tilt and maybe my muscles were too weak to do them yet. He said to not do them uptill i am free of the additional painand he will assess me again on monday. Makes me want to not go really :shrug:
 
Millie, I am on a doctor recommended hiatus from PT as well due to some overwhelming thigh pain. I am not allowed to do any of the exercies until December 7th. A few days rest and you will be amazed at how much better you will feel.

Tammy
 
Less nerve pain but more general pain. Today. still not done any excercises but have been for a little walk for about an hour.
I been walking for 5 weeks now but dont feel i am doing as well as i expected. Really struggling to work. Glad its the weekend at last :doh:
 
Hang tight Millie, better days are coming. They are just right around the corner.

Have a great weekend. Glad to hear the pain is decreasing.

Tammy
 
Tammy is right, better days are coming :) Just stop worrying about doing exercises and posture.

I also have a tilted pelvis and my spine at the bottom had curved the same way. The tilted pelvis accounted for 2" of my leg shortness. I wonder is tilted pelvis becomes a permanent feature as my surgeon lengthend my leg, I presume because he doesn't expect the pelvis to correct itself. Funny I never thought to ask, was just happy not to be lopsided anymore!

Regards posture, my son and his wife visited last week. He suddenly said it was years since he had seen me stood up so straight. I asked him what he meant and he said I had been walking bent over like a little old lady. Cheeky so and so !!
Thing is I had never noticed walking stooped or suddenly walking upright, it just came right all on its own. I'm sure you will too.

At the moment I am having a self inflicted painful spell, I had to rescue my Sulcata tortoise from under the greenhouse bench. We had put a board up to stop her getting under, she is like a bulldozer and had previously knocked out the struts holding up the bench. Hubby wasn't here so I had to get down there and try to get her out (Sulcata are the 2nd largest land tortoise and she is the size of a dustbin lid and I haven't a clue what she weighs) and what a struggle I had.

I am now paying the price but, I know going easy for a few days will get me back to where I was. Too much exercise you see :rotfl:

My next visit to the surgeon is February and I get an xray and forget the hips, what I really can't wait to see is my pelvis and spine. I want to see if they have altered any!

So take it as easy as you can, I know that is hard for you having to work. But take every opportunity to put your feet up and keep on top of the pain relief.

Aileen
 
Afternoon all
Was so exhasted last night went to bed without taking my painkillers and slept. This morning i have decided to double up on my morning meds and see if the day is less painfull and so far so good. Will let you know later howe the rest of the day goes but am hopfuli :cheers:
 
Millie it is awesome that you got some much needed sleep. Don't be surprised if you end up taking a nap or two today due to the increase in your pain meds. Looking forward to hearing how your day goes today.

Tammy
 
Evening
well i have done so much today. Doubling meds has made such a big diffrence. I managed to get all my house jobs done and loads of christmas present wrapped. I am now resting and dont plan on doing anything else today. Tomorrow I am getting my hair done in the morning and need to get the ironing done and hopefully some more presents wrapped before doing sunday dinner.
Then will be getting the toys etc ready for work on monday.
Also getting in the right frame of mind for the visit to the dreaded physio :yikes:
 
Hi Millie, fellow Coventrian, so glad to read that you have had a much better day today. Gosh you have done so much, I feel guilty now as I have done so little today. My get up and go seems to have got up and gone!

Hope you have a good day tomorrow

Chris
 
Millie, so nice to hear that you are now feeling much better. How wonderful that you are going to take some time to pamper yourself and get your hair done. You should throw in a pedicure for good measure.
 
Evening.
what a busy day. Had hair done and managed to get the rest of the christmas presents wrapped. Having an easy night ready for work tomorrow then the dreaded physio at 3pm :what:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom