THR Wiggle’s post-op hip surgery journey

Maybe you ought to check back with your doctor, or call and ask a pharmacist. For some people 4000, even though it's the "safe" upper limit, it's enough to cause liver damage. My niece wound up in the hospital with liver problems after only a couple of days on that dose, and she's only 40.
Just because meds are OTC, doesn't mean they can't be harmful.
Good luck, be safe!
@wiggle
 
Thanks for sharing that story / warning @subie2021
That is why it’s always best to check with your doctor re: meds whether prescription or OTC.
 
The tramadol didn't work for me, my husband finally made me take an oxy at night and boy did that help. I could finally sleep once I took that and got in the recliner and iced and elevated. Once the swelling went down, pain went down. Also the lack of sleep was getting to me the oxy really did help me turn the corner.
 
Also can you just put some ice in a zip lock baggie until yours come in. Take a hammer and crush it if you have too.
 
I took 2/500 mg acetaminophen at 11:45 and 2 more 6 hrs. later. I got diarrhea and got extremely sleepy. The bottle says 6 tabs in 24 hrs. is Ok. Maybe 2/500 mg’s is too strong? Anyway I wanted to stay off Oxy but I don’t want to take any more acetaminophen tonight so I’m going to take 1/ 5 mg Oxy to help with sleep. Anyone else have trouble with 1000 mg of acetaminophen. I only took 2000 mg today?
 
When you total the amount of acetaminophen be sure to check your Oxy to see how much is in with it.
 
There is no acetaminophen in my Oxy. Should one be weaning off Oxy. by day 18? 1000mg of acetaminophen seems too strong for my body but 500 mg. doesn’t provide much pain relief. I have regular strength Tylenol here, which the dosage is 2/325 mg. for adults, which I also tried yesterday and didn’t get much pain relief from that dosage either. I ended up taking 1/5 mg Oxy last night about 9:30 pm., Only slept until 2:30 but was able to fall back asleep until about 4:30. I’ve been awake ever since.
 
Hi @wiggle
I'm sorry you are still struggling but if you only took a pill at night, then it seems to me you are weaning off the oxy.
I still took my opiate pain killers at bedtime at 4-5 weeks out....but was doing alot (and I mean a lot) of icing during the day which helped alot.
Boring... I know, but try to use ice whenever you can,

I also had a very difficult time even after one month being able to sleep long periods of time and yes, I guess it was pain of sorts...but really I describe it as more discomfort and an inability to find a way to stay comfortable in one position for very long before getting really achy and restless.
Sleep deprivation was one of my major complaints prior to surgery, so I was really frustrated.
But unfortunately, it went back to a time thing....it did eventually get better and better.
I hope today is a better day!
 
Thanks Mojo. Did you take Tylenol during the day?
 
I did.... usually at the strength you described as that is the dose I had on hand too. And for the first 3 weeks I am pretty sure I still took an oxy in the middle of the day when needed
As I mentioned before, my doctor prescribed Tramadol at 4 weeks IN LIEU OF the oxy and the Tylenol/Tramadol worked well for me.

Honestly, I think at 3-4 weeks out, I was feeling some post-op blues and a bit of recovery depression. The initial exhilaration of getting through surgery had worn off and the dragging on of postop discomfort can make one anxious.:heehee:
I found distraction was more helpful than Tylenol.
Getting outside was a boost but my double hip replacement was in May, and as you know here in the South, days were already stinking HOT:sigh:
Mornings were my time to sit outside and watch the birds and take some mini strolls around.
Posting on the forum, dumb TV shows, and getting out for short drives (as a passenger) were my reprieves.
And... trying to remember to count my blessings.:) :-) (:

Hang in there, @wiggle . It will get better!
 
I feel very restless in the afternoons. Is it due to the low grade pain and my inability to get comfortable. I can’t seem to settle down. Oxy relaxes me but nothing else does. I get up abs walk often but would like to rest abs relax rather than feel restless!
 
I have Tramadol. Does it contain acetaminophen?
 
Thought it might be a little better than Tylenol.
 
Should one be weaning off Oxy. by day 18?
You really need to talk to your surgeon’s office about your medication. I suggest you call them tomorrow morning. I am sure that someone on your surgeon’s care team will listen to your concerns regarding your discomfort / pain and insufficient relief from your prescription, then advise accordingly.
 
Thank you. I was just there on Thursday for a follow-up. We did discuss how to wean off Oxy. They didn’t want me taking Tramadol while ion Oxy. They said 3000 mg acetaminophen per day for pain was fine. I may call to discuss taking Tramadol short term.
 
I was taking 1000 mg three times a day of Tylenol..I have cut it down to twice daily.
 
I think like the first 2 weeks, I cut down to 1000mg twice daily for the last 5 days.
 
When I forget to take the Tylenol in the am ( for example I just now took it instead of this am ) I start getting low back pain. I am also on Mobic for inflammation for a month.
 
Good morning everyone. I’m now 3 weeks and 2 days post surgery. I slept in bed last night but wasn’t very comfortable. The recliner puts less pressure on my hip incision but sleep is also intermittent. I am wondering if others are still in a recliner at this point or is trying to sleep in bed a better idea?
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom