MUA Whome08's Recovery thread

Journaling is amazing at this point. I write down what I could and couldn’t do and what made me smile that day. I go back now and read it and think “ :shocked: I forgot I couldn’t do that then and baby look at me now!” Like lifting my leg onto the ottoman or putting on a sock.

Sometimes we get soooo mired in the negative we don’t see the tiny victories.

Now I celebrate every chance I get! :yahoo:

All they say is do your exercises....
That's where we differ. Mostly we tell members NOT to do their exercises because they are largely unnecessary!

But here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
ai63.tinypic.com_eta39s.jpg

4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

1. pain: Pain level is 2

2. medications: 5 mg oxy. Taken as needed, usually before PT orearly in the morning

3. swelling: moderate

4. ROM: 703/3

5. icing at least 4 times a day, 15 minutes

6. leg is elevated the majority of the day when I am home.

7. activity level: light cleaning, some cooking, short outings to store and mall

8. exercises at home? If so what and how often?
knee stretches on stairs twice a day
heel slides 1 set of 10 three times a day
knee stretches sitting in a chair 2 times a day

PT three times a week.
heel slides three sets of 10
leg press three sets of 10 at 40 lb
modified bicycle 5 minutes
strengthening exercises using foam roll 3 sets of ten
clam shell using resistance band three sets of ten
side stepping using parallel bars

Last edited:
I had my left TKR on the same day you did. I am keeping up with your progress. I am still very stiff. Today they did an ultrasound to see if I have a blood clot as the back of my knee is very sore. No clot. Probably a Bakers cyst. My doc told me to take the week off from PT, as I was so sore and swollen after last Thursday's session.

@Whome08 that is a lot of strengthening you have going! So hope you get some relief soon for your peace of mind. If you ever want to chat come say hi ... us non sleepers are here all the time it seems!
:bored::tiredwheel:

@Whome08 that is a lot of strengthening you have going! So hope you get some relief soon for your peace of mind. If you ever want to chat come say hi ... us non sleepers are here all the time it seems!
:bored::tiredwheel:
Thank you. fortunately, that is the one thing I have on my side, I am sleeping very well. I look forward to it every night.

Whome08. you missed out some essential detail:
5 mg oxy. Taken as needed
I need to know the dose and the times
4. ROM: 703/3
Is the extension - 3 - a plus or a minus? Plus if you are unable to totally straighten it.
6. leg is elevated the majority of the day when I am home.
Which generally comes to about how much time?
modified bicycle 5 minutes
WHAT is a 'modified' bike?

It's like an elliptical machine but you sit down. I use the handles to control the stretch on my knee

You've STILL only answered one of my three questions!
How about the other two?

Hello, just an update on my progress or lack thereof.

I had an MUA on 12/4. Doctor said it went well. He got to 130. Before going under he said I would have minimal pain not to worry. Ha!

After MUA I was in so much pain I couldn't stand. I had a blinding pain that went straight down my leg. Butt scooted around for two days because I couldn't even use walker. I think surgeon forgot to consider that my left had been straight for about 3 months prior. Everything was tight and MUA just made everything a mess.

I started PT the following Thursday and got to 95. However, this past week has been a nightmare. I think the PT I had pushed too much on my knee and it just aggravated it. I am so swollen and stiff. I asked yesterday if we could not do the pushing and pulling and he said unfortunately not. He omitted the massage, the thing I like the best.

I just felt kind of brushed off because their standard protocol isn't working on me. I am having issues sleeping again. Being physically and emotionally exhausted are not helping. Unfortunately, I don't have much support at home from my husband but that's for a different forum : ).

Right now, the thought of going to PT gives me so much anxiety. I have an appt on Monday with the surgeon. Maybe he can prescribe some antiinflammatories for me. I am doing the CPM machine which I like and feels good. It's just the pushing and pulling and then the anxiety I feel makes me tense up.

I don't want to mess up the MUA but I really feel like I need to stop formal PT and just do stuff on my own. Less stress. I know that's the philosophy of this forum but it's so hard to go against professionals that do this for a living. I do know how my knee feels and it doesn't feel great after PT.

Tired of being helpless and crying every day. The holidays are approaching and I am not even excited about them.

Just tired of being tired. Just needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

Thought I’d just try to brighten your day a bit! Saw OS yesterday for 6 week check up. He said he wouldn’t expect anything over a ROM of 90. Told me I must have been working hard at exercising as mine was over that. Little did he know I’d been following the bonesmart way!!

I know it’s hard to go against our professionals, but since I’ve joined Bonesmart more than a year ago I have learned that all these professionals have differing opinions, contradicting each other.

You know how your knee feels, so you decide what should be done or not done for it. If you feel PT is doing more harm than good (which I agree) then take a break from it. You can always go back if you want to, or not.

PT should not hurt, and pushing and pulling your leg is very bad for it, no matter what they say. Again, theirs (and my) opinion is just that, one if those varying opinions.

I see in some posts above that Josephine needed some clarification on some of your info. Please answer them so she can help you. Her approach to recovery and rehab is truly more sensible than what most of us are offered.

@Whome08
Your recent post was like reading mine. The swelling. The lack of rom. The depression and crying. The fear.

I understand all of it and can only tell you it gets better albeit slowly. I’m a few weeks ahead of you. Hang in there. :console2:

I don't want to mess up the MUA but I really feel like I need to stop formal PT and just do stuff on my own.
I think you need to stop it ALL!
it's so hard to go against professionals that do this for a living
Well I do this for a living and have done for around 56 years! So whom do you trust? Besides which, you said it yourself "I do know how my knee feels and it doesn't feel great after PT." That says it all!

You need to remember two things:
1. it's YOUR knee and you get to choose what's to be done with it
2. you need to empower yourself to take charge of your own destiny
3. it's also a matter of consent. If you are concerned about refusing to do therapy, you need to read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Thank you for your input
I appreciate your advice

I started PT the following Thursday and got to 95. However, this past week has been a nightmare. I think the PT I had pushed too much on my knee and it just aggravated it. I am so swollen and stiff. I asked yesterday if we could not do the pushing and pulling and he said unfortunately not.
No one should ever push on your poor knee. It has been re-injured from a very traumatic surgery it went through less than 2 months ago. By the way, YOU are in control not your PT. You say no or stop, and he has to. If he doesn't, then it is assault on you. Tell him so and tell him you'll have him arrested. Better yet, never go back. This therapy is doing you way more harm than good. Why should you be in pain? You don't have to be and your knee will heal much better without all that pain. Take control of your recovery. It's your knee and no one else's!

just a quick update: spent most of yesterday elevating and icing. did some walking around the house. The swelling and tight feeling has gone down considerably. It has made me feel much better. Did the CPM machine this morning just to get the knee loosened up again and then walked a bit. Although it's still stiff, it's not nearly as uncomfortable or immobile as it had been. Thank you to everyone for your support.

@Whome08

:happydance:

Makes me happy! Glad you sound a bit more at peace today. Same development here too my twin!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88