MUA Whome08's Recovery thread

Just came back from 2 week post MUA. Surgeon emphasized ROM and the "window" I have to get it back. Of course, more pushing on the knee. GRRR. Now it's sore again. I am becoming more active so I am not worried about getting it back so quickly. Walking better with walker as I started to walk through heel to toe as opposed to stopping and starting. That was one of my goals for the week.
 
Now that Christmas is over I feel like I can relax a bit more and focus on recovery again. I seem to be making progress again. I actually feel better and want to start doing more things around the house etc. PT is going well. I don't push myself and I am only seeing the PT that I trust. She "gets" where I am coming from. I try not to focus on numbers, but anxious to see my ROM increase. I can go up and down the stairs like a normal person. It ain't pretty, but I can do with. Nice to be at the top of the roller coaster again.
 
:yay: Sounds like you're on the right track.
 
Before going under he said I would have minimal pain not to worry. Ha!

After MUA I was in so much pain I couldn't stand. I had a blinding pain that went straight down my leg. Butt scooted around for two days because I couldn't even use walker.
That you had so much pain is an indicatoin that the surgeon did break up some adhesions - so the MUA was needed.

Right now, the thought of going to PT gives me so much anxiety. I have an appt on Monday with the surgeon. Maybe he can prescribe some antiinflammatories for me. I am doing the CPM machine which I like and feels good. It's just the pushing and pulling and then the anxiety I feel makes me tense up.
I know I'm coming late to this, but you really don't need to go to PT. After an MUA, all you ned to do is keep your knee moving gently, and youo were using the CPM machine for that. Much of the reason why you couldn't bend well is that you were swollen from the trauma of the MUA - so you did the right thing in elevating and icing your knee.
 
Today was a good day! I drove for the first time since my surgery 10/17. Feel a new sense of freedom. I can start to feel my knee being a bit more cooperative although I still get stiff very quickly after being on it for a little while. Still icing and elevating a lot. Going up the stairs like a normal person with the cane. Slow and steady wins the race.
 
So I've been taking a hiatus from this forum. Trying to get back into life. It's been almost 8 months and I am still dealing with stiffness and swelling. The right side of my knee (right knee) it still numb and hard. Not sure what this is. I am continuing to stretch and walk. I try not to get down, but I thought by now I wouldn't be dealing with these issues.
 
I'm sorry these things are still causing problems. Hopefully, they'll become less of a nuisance as time passes.

Your knee numbness is because some nerves inevitably have to be cut during the surgery, but I'm not sure why the hardness is still there.
Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?

I had my knees replaced 7 years ago and 4 years ago and both of them are still slightly numb on the outside. The numbness has decreased, but that area still doesn't feel quite normal. It doesn't worry me now.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Whome08's Recovery thread So I am 10 month post surgery and 8 months post MUA. Still experiencing a lot of stiffness and heat coming from knee. It feels great when I wake up and then I can feel it starting to tighten up. I have attached a photo where it is numb and very hard. Flexion is very good, bend is anywhere from 90 to 100 depending on the day. Is this just all part of the healing or something I am going to have to get used to.
 
My first year was a very difficult and slow progression. I specifically remember my 9 month point, I was out of town for my daughter’s wedding. It was in northeast Ohio in December and the temperatures never got higher than the mid 20’s the week I was there.

I still wasn’t moving around well, I still had the tight feeling, bend was not great and the cold weather made my knee ache really bad.

I am now 2+ years post op, my bend is better and my whole leg has relaxed more. I felt improvement between the one and two year point, and even since my 2 year anniversary. (So I’m in my third year now)

I do still have that tight feeling, unfortunately, though. I would love to get rid of that.

My point is, don’t lose hope that this is as good as you will get.
 
wow. thank you for sharing that. I kind of feel the year point is the cutoff for improvement. I'll remain optimistic.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom