Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dede62 im not going to wait much longer. I am going to call the OS today to see if I can come in and talk to him soon about scheduling the sugery. I dont want to deal with this any more. I want to get back to the things I enjoy doing that I cant do now with out pain.

Trish
 
[Bonesmart.org] Where to start?
GREAT DECISION!!!! Good for you, Trish. The paradox of life is that is both too long and too short to just exist in pain becoming less and less able to participate in it.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Where to start?
 
Dede62 im not going to wait much longer. I am going to call the OS today to see if I can come in and talk to him soon about scheduling the sugery. I dont want to deal with this any more. I want to get back to the things I enjoy doing that I cant do now with out pain.

Trish

Trish i think that's fantastic that you are ready to schedule. After reading thru this thread that has been going on
for so long it just seems to be the right thing to do.
i was also a SCFE, had the pins in my hips as a child, but they stayed there until my BTHR in October, so I know
what you have been going thru. It seems that the hip is never fully corrected and eventually we just wear out
our sockets over time. I turned 50 2 weeks before my surgery, but had been bothered for 2-3 years with
the pain as things got worse. You will find that THR will give you your life back, and maybe these new parts
will outlast us all!
good luck with your scheduling, hope things work out great for you!
 
dede62 is right, I had a scope and he told me basically the same thing, no guarantee it will help. In fact it did quite the opposite, it made things progress faster. I have done soooo amazing after my thr, I have zero regrets! I was back to work in 2 weeks! It is time to get yours done :). You will be amazed at how wonderful you'll feel! Keep us posted for sure and best of luck to you!!
 
Lily77 - wow 2 weeks and back to work! that is awesome. I am hoping to get it done early enough so I do not miss much of our summer time basketball activities and be ready to be back at work in Aug when school starts back.

Trish
 
Went to talk to the OS today about scheduling THR but he wasn't in the office. I talked to his PA but she didn't want to make a decision about surgery with out the OS there. So I get to drive an hour and half back to the doctors office tomorrow to see the OS. I guess nothing is going to be easy about this whole mess.


Trish
 
[Bonesmart.org] Where to start?
Life is like that some days---seems like everything you do gets rained on. But when you see the OS tomorrow and get a date
[Bonesmart.org] Where to start?
the sun will be shinning on you again.


Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Where to start?
 
Oh my fate is against me I swear. Talked the surgeon today, he wants me to try to lose some weight and take some anti inflamatories and give it 4 months. But he says he will be out of the state for about 4 months and wont be able to do the surgery until August. So I think I will take the meds and try and lose weight (hard to do when it hurts to move) but I am also going to look into another surgeon who would possibly do it sooner.

Trisha
 
[Bonesmart.org] Where to start?
And this is certainly one of those times. I am so, so sorry that the OS has put you off---and expects you to lose weight when exercising is just about impossible.

Well, we'll just have to keep our fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes crossed that you can get a earlier date from a new surgeon.

Try to keep your chin up, things usually happen for a reason. Take care and keep us posted. You know we care.

Here' s
[Bonesmart.org] Where to start?
 
Trish, so sorry to hear about your appointment. As Judy says, it's an opportunity to see another surgeon that may be better suited to your needs. Use the resources here to start your research and make sure to ask tons of questions to get the best qualified doc you can get. It may be worth your while to travel a little to find the best. I looked out of my city to a more metro area about 30 minutes away to go to my doc. It is worth the trip every time I go to see him. Best of luck on your search and keep us posted. It all finds a way to work itself out.

:console2:
 
:iagree: You've had enough pain and hassle already---find the right surgeon and get this thing over with. Those pounds will drop off like melting snow once you're able to be active again (she says as she squeezes into her jeans after enjoying her Haagen-Dasz rehab!)
 
:hairpulling: :headbang: :shocked: ..... I really feel like I could scream at the top of my lungs right now. I called a second OS in the same group as the OS I saw a few days ago (the one that is going out of state for a few months). I just got a call back from the new OS I was trying to see about scheduling a date and she said to follow up with Dr. Covall (the one that is going to be out of state) what ever that means. I am so frustrated at this point I dont know what to do.

Trish
 
Dang, Trish, maybe you're the one who needs to leave the state! You've had more bad luck.
 
My quest continues. I talked to a PT friend of mine and he suggested a OS in the next town over. I have an appt. scheduled with him on the 22nd. Hoping this doc will help me out with an early spring (mid April early May) surgery date. Now to just hope that the doctor notes and medical records show up this week or early next week from the last 2 docs I have seen.

What is it they say "everything happens for a reason"
I sure hope good things come from all of this.

Trish
 
:yay: Finally got a date. My LTHR will be April 17th. I love the new OS I saw today. I am so glad he listened to me and agrees with me that I do not need to wait any longer. Now I get to count down the days. :happydance:

Trish

LTHR April 17, 2013
 
@Adda I am a teacher also and I waited until after Christmas to have my hip replaced. I was really suffering towards the end. My pain interfered with my job! My reason for waiting was because our new contract offered short term disability, which didn't go into effect until Jan.1. So I waited, hobbled around with my cane and my cart! Everyone was pushing for me to take care of it sooner, but I held out.

Do you have a short term disability? I'm thinking of having a knee replaced this summer and then I will probably be out of school a little bit at the beginning of the year. I have to worry about me now and you should worry about you. The kids will survive, they bounce back. It's no different from taking a maternity leave!
 
Mbone Yes I have short term disability. Will be talking to the principal on Monday (he knows it was gonna happen just a matter of when) and beginning the paperwork and getting lesson plans ready for the last 5 weeks of school. Luckily I should be almost done covering everything I need to cover for the year by that point and all the sub will have to do is review all the standards with the students and give them a couple of practice tests before their End of Course Test in Mid May. Our school year ends May 24th so we get out earlier than most school systems but we also start the 1st week in August as well. I want to be ready for that first day of school in August.
 
Adaa What grade do you teach? I work in Chicago and we were on strike so our last day is June 24th. We are starting earlier next school year, Aug. 14th. So If I have a knee replaced, I have to decide if I want to be off at the end of this school year or at the beginning of the next. I do not have a classroom, as I am a Literacy lead teacher.
It is true, the end of the year is a lot of review. People do not realize how much a teacher has to do just by being sick! What other job needs someone to take your place when you are not there...right!!!
 
Mbone I teach mainly 9th graders and some 10th graders with a dabbling of 11th and 12th graders that have to retake Biology or Physical Science to graduate. I really want to make sure I have taught them all they need to know for the End of Course Test (which is given by the state). I hope my long term sub is a science person that can explain things in the review so the kids dont "forget" everything and bomb the test.
 
So glad things are finally heading in the right direction. I now have my date for my pre-op evaluation and my joint replacement class and my pre-op visit secheduled with the doc before the surgery. It is finally coming together. Not much longer now and April 17th will be here.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom