Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adaa, I just noticed something you said in your first post, about the fact that now you limp all the time. To you, and anyone else reading this who is limping....that limping is not just your body's way of protecting you from pain. It also means that your gait is now impacted, and this can result in all kinds of other aches and pains. The longer the limp goes on, the harder it is to correct when you do get your THR. So a limp should be taken seriously as a sign that it is time to do something.

Hope it all works out for you timing-wise.

Sharon
 
Ada's - best of luck on the 30th - be sure to tell him about the pain on. Thr bike. Let us know how it goes,
Annie
 
Looking forward to getting an update from your appointment on 30 Aug Adaa.. So sorry you suffered pain from your ride on the back of hubby's motor bike though.. I hope answers are to be given when you see this OS, keep us posted :)
 
Still not enough answers but getting a little closer to one. The OS I saw today took new X-rays and said that the femoral head was not tilted properly. The previous OS did MRI's and CTs without contrast so this new OS couldn't really tell anything from the old MRI and CT. He is ordering a arthorgram with MRI (I should find out whent that will be scheduled some time next week) and a cortisone shot in the hip joint. I have had the cortisone shot before and I didn't really see any change in my pain. This OS thinks it may be actabular impingment. When he was moving my leg around he could hear popping and creaking (I could feel it in my joint). He said if I need an arthorscope that he will be refering me to a specialist in Nashville, TN because the OS I saw today doesn't do those. He doesnt think I will need a THR but wants to see how much arthritis is actually in the hip joint.
 
I had an arthrogram and cortisone injection yesterday with a new MRI. That was not a fun experience. The arthrogram was really painful and after being in the MRI machine for about 40 minutes (had about 5 minutes left to be done) the power goes out because of a storm. So I had to wait for the machine to boot back up after the power came back on. Was a long day. Now to wait until October 2nd to go back to the OS to see the results of the MRI. The OS thinks it is probably a labral tear or cam impingement.
 
I can totally relate to your "long" day. Hubby and I had one very similar about three weeks ago. You are just exhausted by the time you get back home. Then it's a pretty long wait to get the answers.
 
ADaa,
Don't be afraid to see as many Drs as you need to find the answers you seek. I knew I was probably ready for a hip replacement, but went to three different orthos for consultations. Each one was good, but it wasn't until I saw the 3rd one that I found the right one. A friend went with me to two of the appts for a second pair of eyes and she said the same thing. From the moment we got there it seemed like a good fit and got progressively better when we saw the Dr. He asked questions about what I had tried for relief and let me answer before he said how bad my hip was. I liked how he wanted to hear MY response to my condition before he related what he saw on Xray. My hip has deteriorated so fast this year that I wouldn't be able to wait much longer. The Dr I chose did tell me to be careful and not walk for exercise to leave him something to work with! Good luck in your journey. You have to manage your own healthcare to a point, don't let anyone or any Dr make decisions for you that you are not comfortable with.
 
Ok guys I got the MRI report back but do not go to the OS until next week. Could you guys help me interpret what this says?
"Imaging of the patient was performed on a 1.5 Tesla magnet. Prearthrographic images demonstrate a screw tract through the intertrochanteric portion of the proximal left femur which extends into the left femoral neck and head. (knew that already. I had hip surgery at age 12 for slipped cartilage). There is no evidence of avascular necrosis. Mild fluid in the left hip joint is similar in volume to that on the right side. The right hip is unremarkable. Asymmetric degenerative changes are suspected in the left SI joint.
Post arthrographic images demonstrate generalized chondral loss and marginal osteophyte formation on both sides of the left hip joint. Mild subchondral cystic changes are also present in the medial aspect of the left femoral head and anterioor aspect of the left acetabulum. No loose bodies are detected. There is no evidence of focal labral tear. There is no evidence of avascular necrosis.
The contralateral right hip is unremarkable. Asymmetric degenerative changes in the left SI joint are suspected.
IMPRESSION:
Generalized chondromalacia and secondary arthritic changes in the left hip are prominent for patient age. prior sugery as described. No evidence of labral tear or avascular necrosis."

I am looking for some clearification about what all this means. I know that no avascular necrosis is a good thing. But I am not really sure about what the rest of it is saying. I would like to have some idea about what all this means before I head back to the doctor's on Tues. Oct. 2nd. so I have some idea of what to ask if I have more questions other than the fact that my co-workers say "just face it, you are getting old" LOL I am not ready to accept that fact at 39.

Thank you for all you guys do to help everyone out. It is really appreciated.

Trish
 
Tagging Josephine; for you; that medical-speak is above my pay grade. :)

And I fully agree....at 39, you are not even remotely close to old. Me...I might be on the cusp of possibly starting to get older....but you, definitely not!

Sharon
 
Asymmetric degenerative changes are suspected in the left SI joint.
"Asymetric" means one side is different from the other: ergo, he suspects there is some degeneration in the left SI joint
Post arthrographic images demonstrate generalized chondral loss
"chondral" is cartilage
marginal osteophyte formation on both sides of the left hip joint
"osteophytes" are small bony outgrowths like this where the yellow arrow is (okay, I know it's a knee and yours is a hip, but I couldn't find as good an image of an osteophyte in a hip!)

[Bonesmart.org] Where to start?


Mild subchondral cystic changes are also present in the medial aspect of the left femoral head and anterior aspect of the left acetabulum
As I said before, "chondral" means cartilage so subchondral means beneath the cartilage; in other words, there are cysts in the bone that are beneath the cartilage and don't involve the cartilage
The contralateral right hip is unremarkable
."contralateral" simply means "the other hip"! If a surgeon is talking about one hip, be it left or right, the other hip is always the contralateral hip. Unremarkable means he can see nothing to remark upon.

Summary: the hip joint has some minor degenerative changes in the form of bone cysts and cartilage loss and there is possibly some issues around the left SI joint.
 
Thank you both for your input. I go back to the doc on Oct 2nd so he can explain all the medical jumbo but knowing what he is talking about will help. I talked to one of his nurses yesterday. She called to see how the pain was now that it has been a week since I had the cortisone injection (was done at the same time as the arthrogram). I told her it helped for about the first 4 days after but now the pain is coming back and is almost back to where it was before the shot. She said that I didnt have a tear (which I knew from the MRI report) so I would not need an arthroscope and my hip is not bad enough for a THR so she needed to talk to the doctor to find out what is next.
Its very frustrating trying to find answers of why I only hurt on one side and in one area but everyone saying that everything looks ok or its not very bad.
Thank you again Jo and Sharon I appricate your help.
Trish
 
Hi Trish

Let us know how you go with your appointment on 2 Oct..
 
I wonder if you are getting some referred pain from the SI joint problem???? Ask the surgeon about this possibility.

Dorothy
 
Hi,
I am new here and will start another post but your messages here scream my name!! I have bilateral mixed FAI (cam and pincer impingement) and my right labrum was totally frayed. We don't have MRA imaging of the left but I feel it's the same. Anyway, I had a scope a little over 8 weeks ago. It is a terribly long recovery. I have a new limp in my operated hip. I am now looking for a new surgeon to talk about replacements.
I just wanted to say hi and if you want any opinions about FAI or scopes, message me any time! I am glad to hear your labrum is intact. That is a good sign. But still so sorry for your situation. It isn't easy. By the way, we are the same age! Good luck to you.
 
Saw the doctor today and he said that the cartlidge is very thin in my joint from what he could see on the MRI. He said I have arthritis in my knee, hip, and SI joint. He said if I was 50 years old we would begin the process of a THR. He wants me to see a doctor that does hip arthoscopy to see if there may be an alternative to a THR. The doctor I saw today said that I need to lose some weight (lol no duh) and I need to strenthen my hip muscles. I told him that jogging, walking for long periods of time, aerobics (things I used to do). There is not a swimming pool around that I can use (that i know of) to get some exercise in that way and regular bikes cause pain as well.
Well at least now I know im not dreaming that my hip hurts. This is the 2nd OS that said I will eventually need a THR. I just dont know why they keep saying if I was 50+ or 60+ then it wouldnt be a question but since I am 39 the are skiddish to even suggest it.
Trish
 
Adaa, I am so sorry to hear about the frustrations you have faced. I've read a lot about hip resurfacing. Perhaps you would be a candidate for this? In a way, I wish your hip was a little worse (in a good way) so that you could "get on with things." It is so frustrating to know what you feel, know that there is a viable solution out there and then be forced to wait for it. Hang in there girl! Be persistent!
 
Trisha, I would try and seek out another OS, you are not too young to have a THR. We have heaps of members much younger than yourself.

I can imagine how disappointed you are, lots of information to digest..

But truly, you are not too young. If there is radiological evidence for a THR and you are in pain, then you are a candidate :)
 
Finally got all the medical records from all the doctors I have seen about my hip. Sent them to Nashville sports medicine and they arrived there this past Saturday. So hoping to hear from Dr. Byrd soon with either of 2 responses. 1. "yes come see us so we can make sure you are a canidate for a hip scope" or 2. "no we do not need to see you, we are recommending you for THR with Dr. Covall." I can handle either of those 2 answers. The waiting is very frustrating.

Trish
 
Keep us posted! I am sorry that you are getting the run around!! That is so frustrating!
 
Hi Lilly,
I can relate to the bone spur pain on top of the pain from the degeneration of the hip. I have one also. I agree, you determine what to do about your condition and your pain. Because only you know how you feel. You are young and should not be in misery. Pain impacts the quality of life so much. A good OP works with you. Find one that is willing to do that.
I chose to wait 7 years before surgery. I was not aware of the Anterior approach and initially thought you had to be much older to entertain the thought of hip replacement. Injections brought me a great deal of relief for quite awhile. I was hesitant about surgery. My OP made me ware of all of my options but I ultimately had to choose. Go with the one you feel comfortable with.
:flwrysmile:

Nessiepie
RTHP December 14, 2012
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom