TKR Where did my energy go?<

Ido t have a popping feeling but I do hear a clicking especially if I get out of bed to use the bathroom during the night! I do get that stinging down the side of the joint and it can vary in intensity. Are you finding the taping is helping ? You have done well the past couple of days and progress is being made. Just not as fast maybe as anticipated. More baby steps!!
 
The taping has not stopped the popping or the stinging.

Another therapist told me the stinging was likely from twisting the knee as I rise because the muscles around it are weak. I notice that when I get up slowly and use the correct muscles, the stinging is less.

The popping/clicking I also hope will disappear, but can't figure out the cause.
 
I too have the "noise" --especially if I don't have full weight on the joint. I was told by another member that her doctor told her that the noise would lessen when the tendons etc. tighten down with the passage of time and the increase in strength.
 
Good to know. Thanks for sharing. I do notice that how I walk seems to make it happen more or less.

I know I have a long way to go on muscle strength.

How far out are you?
 
The taping has not stopped the popping or the stinging.

Another therapist told me the stinging was likely from twisting the knee as I rise because the muscles around it are weak. I notice that when I get up slowly and use the correct muscles, the stinging is less.
Good point. It could be that with the bad knee you were using bad mechanics and so doing those same movements don't mesh with your new alignment. I know for me foot placement and gait took quite a while to do "correctly." Correct felt weird.
 
Great info! I know that early on I was still limping with my new knee for no other reason than it was the only way I could walk for the previous 6 months. My PT helped remind me to walk correctly and concentrate on the heel toe, Heel toe etc., so I am good now. My clicking does wear off after walking and I too was told that it could disappear with time but was not a cause of concern as long as the new joint felt firm and it was not painful. It is a bit annoying though!
 
@Celle and @Third joint - hadn't seen the article but exactly what my OS said today when I mentioned it at my check up. Said to swim, bike and walk as much as possible.
 
Great article Celle. They have not told me I can swim yet, will ask at PT tomorrow. First day of work didn't seem too bad. Putting the leg up was impossible. Putting ice on it was only a minor help then I had to make a stop to get my driver lisence renewed. I still thought ...... Not too bad, till I got home and the swelling and discomfort really kicked in. Have had it up, icing and took two painkillers and a short nap.

Had 857 emails to wade through, so had to sit more than I wanted. Tomorrow will be better!
 
@kneeper, right does feel wrong. Especially the inside of my knee since it was in the worst shape. I will keep exercising and be patient!
 
Good point. It could be that with the bad knee you were using bad mechanics and so doing those same movements don't mesh with your new alignment. I know for me foot placement and gait took quite a while to do "correctly." Correct felt weird.
:iagree: "Mechanics is muscle memory." What may feel normal may actually be abnormal---I had to work on correcting my gait in both legs after my BTKR---I had to work hard to overcome the feeling of "normalcy" that actually was not.

Have you purchased new shoes? The wear pattern on the old shoes may also be causing you issues, too.
 
Day two of work and a PT day. The knee was quite swollen, measured larger than than 4 weeks post surgery. And I could not get to my 130degree bend. I kept it iced as much as possible and elevated for 30 minutes at lunch, then got it up as soon as I could after I got home. The swelling bothers me, but I am not as tired as yesterday. Hoping to keep it to one painkiller.
 
Work is enough for you knee for one day. It's best not to do PT on top of work.
i'm not surprised that your knee was more swollen and that your ROM had decreased. The ROM will come back, so don't worry about it.
Most people find that their knee swells more when they go back to work. It should improve with time.

You're doing the right thing in icing when you can and in resting, icing and elevating when you get home.
 
Hi Celle, lesson learned on PT and work in one day. My knee is so swollen this evening that it can barely bend. I went straight to the couch with an ice pack and am not moving. I am seeing the doctor tomorrow and I am not sure what he will say. I am supposed to have PT after see DR, but am skipping.

Today is definitely my worst day so far, but I know it will get better when my knee forgives me for all this new activity.
 
Don't get discouraged I learnt quickly after returning to work that it's the only activity you can do - no shopping, standing, cooking on work days and definitely no PT. If possible get up and walk every 30 minutes during the day - if only for 5 minutes. Keeping that knee bent under your desk even if you can elevate or stretch it out in between really aggravates the tissue - or at least that was my experience. But it passes and improves with time and will swell less. Good luck with your doctor and continue to listen to your knee.
 
I had my worst day on Wednesday. Yesterday I kept icing and walking, still no real way to put my knee up. When I manage it, it is so uncomfortable an angle I give up. However, I went home felling pretty good and did not even need my nighttime pain pill.

Today I woke up feeling bad. My knee was kind of saying, Okay I put up with this four days but am opting out today. So it has not been a good day so far. But I know it will pass.

My Doctor was extremely pleased with my recovery and was not overly happy I came back to work. He wanted me to stay at home for 12 weeks, but hey, we gotta eat! My company was making sure that the pay was so low I would not want to stay at home any longer than necessary and they made it clear it was come back full time or stay at home full time. For such a handicap friendly company, I was very surprised at their lack of support.

My Doctor told me to go out and try anything I wanted; the knee would tell me if I could do it or not. I wanted to try swimming but the PT seemed horrified I would even try it. I have two goals, which are probably stupid. One is to kneel on the flloor and the other is to bend it enough to sit on it. Working veeeeeery slowly on both. I can kneel on my squishy couch and a bit on the bed. I can bend it and cross my other leg over it for about five minutes. So hopefully as the weeks go by I will be able to do both of these items.

How many weeks have you been back at work? How much discomfort are you having at the end of the day?
 
Try the swimming it's been very good for me though I do breaststroke arms and crawl legs so funny to look at.
Sounds like your work place was as sympathetic as mine - I had to return st 5 weeks out although reduced days for a couple weeks. I think I am 16 weeks today and I still get stiff and sore if I don't stretch and wAlk but it eases after a bit of ice and elevation at home. I can even stop and go grocery shopping on the way home after! But I do remember how difficult those early days back were and how I felt it slowed my recovery but hey ho you have do do what you have to do. I am in Chicago and enjoying my break!!
 
Try the swimming it's been very good for me though I do breaststroke arms and crawl legs so funny to look at.
That's wise. The breaststroke leg kick is one of the hardest actions on your knee, so it is best not to try it until much later in recovery.
 
I have made it half way through my second week of work. Has not been as bad as last week. I did one round of PT and skipped today as yesterday I was on my leg a lot and couldn't elevate it or ice it the entire day and it is letting me know today.

I have not had any nighttime painkiller for almost a week, so that is a good step I think.

I was supposed to be finished with PT today, but on Tuesday he insisted I schedule out two more even though I exceeded or met all my goals. I am beginning to think it is some kind of scam where you never finish till your insurance says "no more". :loll:

@patriciad, how was your trip overall?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom