TKR Where did my energy go?<

We have a house in Ormond Beach. Usually in September it is about high 80's with rain a little every day so am hoping it won't be too much for my energy level.
 
Well my employer took the stance that if I could not come in the office for eight hours, they were not interested in accommodating me. So this week is the last I will do any work from home and per my doctor, I will not be returning at least till I see him on September 17. Too bad my employer is so narrow minded, but they are the ones who will be suffering as I told my employer I am perfectly happy taking my naps and watching tv.
 
Too bad my employer is so narrow minded, but they are the ones who will be suffering as I told my employer I am perfectly happy taking my naps and watching tv.

Good on you! I've dabbled my toes at returning to work; a half-day here, a day there. I just completed my first full week back, and my routine (following in the footsteps of @Slainte) was to come home from work, feed the cat, eat, take a shower, and go to bed. One night I fell asleep at seven, woke up at 11:56 and flossed, and told myself that counted. Awake for a few hours on the computer, back to sleep. Towards the end of the week it got easier to stay up until closer to ten.

I also had the bright (I think) idea to try to sandwich in all the neglected tests and procedures I'd put off for forever, since my insurance deductible and co-pay were maxed out (a position I hope never to be in again). Over the last month I've gotten teeth cleaned, blood-work, a pap smear, a mammogram, a bone-density scan, a colonoscopy, eye surgery, three mega-blasts of antibiotics (during the dental procedure and the colonoscopy) and the resulting yeast infection, and I'm sure there was more. It's all been kind of rush-rush as my insurance year rolls over in another week. Part of what inspired me was the thinking, "Brand-new knee, brand-new life, I want to be tip-top healthy for it!" All of these, as well as the travel for the eye surgery, have come with a cost as well as a benefit, and each one of us (once we take off the super-person cloak and accept the limitations) is probably the best judge of what will be worth doing.

Looking for ways to cut back on the things we have to physically do, as well as becoming willing to accept help (where it's helpful), become part of this journey. The airport in the city to which I traveled for surgery has a very long walk to get from the gate to luggage to the doors. I accepted assistance, not because I couldn't have walked it eventually, but because I knew that I would need all available energy and focus to meet with the surgeon, get an exam, get questions answered, go through the surgery, etc. So I became the lady riding the wheelchair through the airport. Ignominious? Yeah, the first time or two. But realistic? Also yeah. In the long run, worth it.

Some stores have a shopping service online. Go to their site, fill your virtual cart, tell them when you'll pick up, and wah-lah, baby! Also part of the journey is accepting that the help you accepted didn't do things the way you have done. That's it's own set of frustrations. But overall, we just need to tap into our resourcefulness and move on.
 
I am struggling to become the queen of accepting limitations. Sometimes I don't want to appear weak or dependent but then my knee speaks up and reminds me that the benefits of getting help outweigh the feelings of uselessness. I have even booked tickets for baseball games in the disabled section because I want to go but don't think I can do the stairs in the stadium. Go Blue Jays!!
 
Today I was determined to cook dinner since my husband has been doing everything since July 10. I only made three items, but almost fell asleep during eating. He appreciated the effort, but I am on the couch with an ice bag for the rest of the night. Tomorrow I will take it easy.
 
Today for the first time I have gotten my son ready for his workshop. Luckily today was an easy day as he is eating lunch out so it was just getting his breakfast and meds together. I am feeling stronger most every day, but have been having slightly more pain towards the end of the day.

My PT believes it is from the heightened use and standing on it more each day. My swelling is almost all gone, I can bend to 124 degrees and have gotten to zero on straightening.

We are driving to Florida on Friday so I am torn between pushing hard to prepare for the looooong drive or resting more to conserve energy. Suggestions?
 
Don't push. But make sure you bring your rain gear. I have lived in Florida my entire life, and have never seen rain like we have it now.

The calmer your knee is when you set out on your journey to paradise, the less grouchy it will be. I lived in Ormond as a newlywed. Happy memories of a beautiful beach town. Hope your trip is a comfortable one.
 
I took a walk around Walmart to get travel supplies. It was tiring, but not too overwhelming.

We bought a home in Ormond Beach last year and moved my mom down there till we retire(3 years) and she has definitely let us know about all the rain.

Appreciate the advice and will not push myself before leaving.
 
I am at 7 weeks and still need a Percocet more evenings than not. It just seems at the early evening I just become uncomfortable and nothing else seems to do the trick. I have tried light exercise like a walk or ride in the car; icing and elevation; and changing positions. I am not in extreme pain, just cannot seem to relax and become comfy enough to settle down. Should I be worried about this?
 
No. Don't worry. It's quite normal to feel more uncomfortable at the end of the day.
At 7 weeks out, many people still need pain relief all day, not just in the evening, so you're doing very well.
 
I am 12 weeks out and still sore late afternoon and can't wait to get home from work to ice. I must admit I had no idea it would be this long of a recovery starting out !! Still the bone on bone pain is gone and I can cope with a grouchy ache! You will be stiff and sore after your journey so rest up now and try to keep ice on it in the car. Safe travels and enjoy your trip.
 
I am 7 1/2 weeks out, and asked my OS yesterday about the fact that I still take 5 mg percocet at night, or else I don't sleep. He said he didn't want me to be on it forever, but not to worry at this early stage. And gave me a refill.
 
I am 17 weeks out and while I stopped daytime meds at 6 wks., I still take a tylenol 3 at night.
 
During the day, I take only one Celebrex which seems to do the job until I get to the end of the day. I take a bag of ice with me and have some straps I use to attach the bag to my leg while driving or walking too far.

For some reason Tylenol was not working for me when I stopped taking the Percocet all day. I do like the Celebrex.

Patriciad, I have to go back to work in about three weeks and am very worried about the exhaustion.
 
I have also felt that regular tylenol didn't work for me. (one T3 has 30 mg of codeine in it--different ballgame!) One of the moderators told me that in order for regular tylenol to work you need to take 1000 mg up to 4 times a day. She said most people simply don't take enough.
 
@Third joint -- I am 10 weeks out and we are driving to California leaving right after Labor Day. I have several ice packs that will go with me to freeze in the in-room refrigerators every night and I bought an ice bag that I can fill with ice and water whenever we stop for lunch/dinner. I am limiting each day to about 450 miles to allow for frequent breaks to stop, stretch, and walk. We did a 300 mile trip last weekend and didn't stop often enough as it was dark, and I forgot to take the ice packs. My knee was very swollen the next two days so I have learned my lesson. I also plan to take my polar ice machine so I have it when we get to CA to spend a week with our son, DIL, and granddaughter.

I can also sympathize with the exhaustion! I never thought it would continue this long. I read the medical sites that said you could be back to biking and dancing at 6 weeks. Then 3 1/2 weeks post-op I was lucky enough to find this site and learned that realistic recovery takes much longer. I can still only manage shopping in one store at a time and I was expecting to be power shopping by now. You have found a wonderful support group here.

I also still take a Norco--5 mg hydrocodone/325 of acetaminophen and a 500mg acetaminophen. There is something about the dark and quiet that exacerbates pain. I also still use the ice machine at night.
 
We are driving to Florida on Friday so I am torn between pushing hard to prepare for the looooong drive or resting more to conserve energy. Suggestions?

Don't push.
:iagree: It will only cause you to be more tired, stiffer, and more frustrated.

At eight weeks, when I went back to the classroom, I was stiff and sore at the end of the school day, and I was exhausted.
Stamina is the last to return for many, and the soreness or the stiffness can linger for a while. There is nothing, unfortunately, that you can do to speed things up.
 
When traveling long distances you can get in the backseat, use pillows to support you and put your leg up on the seat--it helps.
 
@thirdjoint
Hopefully you will be able to stagger your return to work. I was able to gradually increase hours and days over the past 6 weeks. Apart from it being very hard on the knee it was/is exhausting and is pretty much the only thing I can do. When I get home I have to ice and elevate and often take a nap. I am early to bed and don't do much in the way of cooking a meal. You just have to pace yourself, keep listening to the knee and do what you can. If you have any choice delay your return to work or do it gradually - but we don't often have a choice so accept it will be hard and tiring and plan on taking care of yourself as much as you can. You have done really great up to now and I'm sure you will continue. Take care.
 
Hi sdgrandma. Good luck on that trip. I def plan to stretch out in the backseat with pillows and ice. I don't have an ice machine, but have good luck with ziplock bags.

Patriciad, my employer is not enlightened enough to allow a staggered return to work, so it is 8 hours or nothing. I know it will feel like I am backsliding, but am mentally preparing for it.

Today I had PT, pulled some weeds, cooked dinner , got a haircut and packed a little. I was a little swollen and sore, but not as much as I would have been a week ago. My PT says expect several good days with improvement every day; then a bad day. Doesn't mean regression, just a sign to slow down a little.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom