Guest viewing is limited

TKR Where did my energy go?<

Hi @Third joint -- maybe employers should read the following medically acknowledged information..

Did you know how the body goes about the process of healing following surgery (or an injury)?

Here is an article which explains this process.... :)


Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.


Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..


nutritional-snippets-did-you-know
 
It's such a pity your employer is not more sympathetic as it does put pressure on us when we really need more time to heal! Mine thought that as I had a desk job I should only be off for 3 weeks. I went back on my 5th week and when they saw how my knee swelled and how much discomfort I was in they backed off asking me to return to full time until recently. I was able to manage by doing some work from home. When you do go back don't grin and bear it but tell them if it's a struggle and hard to manage. Hopefully you will feel more able to cope in a few weeks but put it into perspective - you only have the one chance to heal your knee and that has to come before anything else. I put myself back by returning too soon I know now. Have a good trip to Florida.
 
I also have a desk job and could very easily manage my workload from home for several weeks. The explanation I was given was that since I sit most all day they didn't understands issue with coming into the office. They made me feel like I was running some kind of scam by trying to get more time off. I tried explaining the swelling and healing that saps energy, but continued to get the doubt. I finally just said, okay I will stay at home on disability and my work can just sit there. This is a large company that prides itself on its care for its employees and integrity.

But you are correct; healing comes first.
 
Well good for you for "standing" your ground. :yes!: So short sighted and of course they have no idea that sitting knee bent for hours really inflames it. I have a box under my desk to straighten / extend my leg and I set a phone alarm to remind me to get up and walk every hour - just for five minutes but it helps. I also ice it with a gel pack when it starts to ache and feel tight. I am lucky as I can use a freezer there.
 
We do have several ice machines there, so I should be able to mKe an ice pack when necessary. I will need to find something for under my desk to elevate. Good idea on setting an alarm. I will definitely do thAt as it is too easy to sit for hours when busy.
 
Third_joint , consider getting a reusable ice bag with something to secure it to your knee (ACE bandage, or a custom made reclosable wrap). I bought two different types, and the one linked has more threads on the cap (sorry, it only comes in that lime green), so I believe it will provide a more secure closure, but there are several kinds available. This one comes with the wrap, but I read some bad reviews about the watertight capabilities of the bag that comes with it. You could give it a chance, I suppose.
 
I have a reusable one that perfectly covers my knee, but it only stays cold about 20 minutes. I have been relying on zip lock bags and my lift belt from the hospital. I will take a look at something more reliable.
 
Those stay cold for hours. Most effective for the first hour, then they become gradually less effective. But it's easy to add more ice if you have the ice machines available.
 
I totally understand. On same journey. Luckily I am retired and can rest when I need since sleeping at night is a challenge. Love the forum and glad to see I am not alone. There is a great article on the forum that give a good illustration of how the knee affecys our energy levels. Found it most informative.
 
@Third joint - I bought several strap on gel packs from CvS & Walgreens - they stay cold for around 40 mins that I use at work. I don't have to ice all the time nowadays just when it starts feeling inflamed from sitting. As you say you totally forget how long you have been sitting once you get busy at the computer! My best purchase was from my Outpatient Therapy where I bought the Ice blanket type pad that they lay on you after exercise for $25.. Takes up space in your freezer but worth it as cools the joint really quickly ! Good luck with your trip today!
 
I tried to go back to work 4 weeks after my PKR, that did not work out to my expectations :yawn:. I was exhausted and still going to PT so I went in a few hours every day just to show my face to make the boss happy. I started full time again 5 1/2 weeks after. Still very tired but I noticed the more I did the more I was able to tolerate.

I am in South Florida and I agree, be careful here, I can barely breathe when I step out of my house. That will also tire you out!
 
The drive down was long and tiring as expected. I was able to drive two two hour shifts and able to sit up for an additional three. Spent the rest of the time in the backseat stretched out.

First day here did some pool floating and a lot of walking to get groceries.

Did take my Percocet each nigh, but gave up the Celebrex as I was having terrible heartburn.

Today we are trying the beach, unsure if I will go or not. Still want to rest more than anything else.
 
Well you got there which is the main thing and managed some long distance driving also so well done!
I would try to stick to doing only what you feel like doing! Hard though when you want to join in with what everyone else has planned. I guess you can rest In a beach chair! Enjoy the change of scenery and keep listening to the knee!
 
I skipped the beach. Floated a lot in the pool and did my exercises, but not taking the Celebrex is making me stiffer and a bit more uncomfortable. Trying to add in Tylenol, but it is not really helping. Maybe it is just the humidity, but I feel like I have backslid.

Letting my husband and son do all the running around is hard, but I am listening to my knee.
 
Why have you cut back on the Celebrex? Was there a reason for that? You had a long drive, running around shopping and did your exercises in the pool so not sure where the backsliding comes in as sounds like you have done well actually with all that activity. I learned that the pool is deceiving as you just think you are gently stretching and floating but you are actually giving the knee a hard work out, and that alone could be why you are feeling a bit more stiff and sore. So easy to get it inflamed. Ease off , increase the icing and elevation and see if that does the trick. It's definitely a roller coaster recovery but does improve. Enjoy Florida and let us know how you are progressing.
 
Sorry just refreshed myself on your Celebrex issue being the heartburn. If it works for your pain could you use Maalox or other antacid, take with food etc., as some others have posted. In the library there is a really good article on pain meds and scheduling them effectively that I found really useful.
 
The heartburn was there after taking my prescribed acid reflux as well as adding in another. It was REALLY severe.

I am doing most of my same activities, but feeling very uncomfortable while doing them. That is the backslide I was feeling.

Today I gave up and went back on the Celebrex because the discomfort level being aggravated by the high humidity had me doing nothing but sitting with ice. After resting for two hours today I could still barely walk.

So I will try every stomach med I can to keep taking the Celebrex as it was keeping my pain well managed during the day. I appreciate the support I have had here, it is so very helpful to be reminded that a few bad days are not the end of the world.
 
You are right a few bad days are not the end of the world but can still be disheartening . I am now 14 weeks and can see and feel how far I have come but still have times when I get discouraged and wonder if my knee will ever feel normal or close to normal. My numbness is decreasing around the joint which is good - but with it brings a new awareness of the prosthetic and it feels "heavy" and "foreign" if that makes any sense. Quite fed up with It all today.
Hope you find an antacid that allows you to be comfortable on the Celebrex.
All the best!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom