TKR Where did my energy go?<

I have not thought ahead to how it will feel once I go back to normal life. I have had hips done and after the healing there was a strange awareness of the ball for awhile, but it passed so hopefully the knee will also fade in your consciousness?

I stocked up on Otc heartburn meds and hope to find a combo that works because the Celebrex really helps.

Today I took my Percocet early in the morning and was able to go to the beach for a few hours but stayed only below the knee in the water. Came home and exercised in the pool then had a nice nap.

So a good day. Hoping tomorrow continues the forward progress.
 
@thirdjoint
I've taken Celebrex for 8 years and I have reflux, so I take 40mg Nexium daily. Nexium first thing in the am, Celebrex later with breakfast. That works for me. I can eat and drink almost anything!
 
I have taken 40 mg omeprazole daily for several years. I add nexium when that does not control it. Hoping that combo helps if the heartburn comes back. I took tons of ibuprofen before my surgery with no side effects, but since surgery cannot take any without stomach problems.
 
Sounds like you had a really good day yesterday by getting your pain under control with the Percocet in the morning and a good balance of activity and rest. That's the way forward. Thanks for the reassurance on the awareness of the new joint. I figure this too will pass as so much else has already. Have another great day!
 
Tomorrow is our last day of vacation. I have managed to go to the beach twice, floated and exercised in the pool a few times a day.

Have been on my feet much more, but listening to the knee and knowing when to sit and ice. My mom is not very helpful so I ended up doing more cooking and cleaning than I planned, but feel I have gotten stronger this week.

Last night I was able to make it without my bedtime Percocet, so that was a nice surprise. I doubt I am done with it forever, but still a good step.
 
Sounds like you have had a good vacation and have handled the extra activity really well - so now have to pace yourself for the car ride home and continue to improve and heal.
Had a bit of a scare taking my dog for walk this morning as another dog (luckily small terrier) attacked him and my reflex was to stick my knee between him and aggressive mutt!! Thought afterwards it would not be good to have dog bite on scar!! Luckily no harm done except for bit of a twist !! Good news was that I didn't even think about knee under circumstance. !!
 
That is good news both on avoiding a dog bit and using the knee like a normal knee. It will happen more and more till the only time you remember is at the airport when you get pulled out of line. Happens to me every time I fly.

My mother has a young dog that is VERY bAd about jumping on everyone and I have had a few bad moments where she has gotten me right on the scar.

Good advice on preparing for the long ride home. Tomorrow will be an easy day.
 
Wishing you a good journey home. My Knee was quite sore and had new sharp pain on walking after dog incident. So lots of ice & elevating. Continue babying it again today as although improved still not as it was before the twisting so feeling bit frustrated today.
 
I probably would have treated myself to some extra painkillers.

Ride home was long and uncomfortable. Today I am sore and tired. Taking it super easy. Funny I thought the moment I got home I would feel amazing. Weird how your mind fools you.

Hoping you bounce back on your injury. I know that is very frustrating.
 
Sounds like your journey went well ! I did treat myself to some Advil yesterday, slept well and woke up raring to go this morning. On walking the clicking tightness was much worse than usual so after 10 mins of trying to walk it off I gave up and came back home just before a rain storm hit! I guess it is still a bit unhappy. Work as usual tomorrow. Hope you have a good week now you are home.
 
Those backslides are a pain. I accidentally bent my knee too far back
trying to get into the car yesterday, so today I have been extra sore and rested a lot.

I did only a little housework and exercise, but did cook dinner. Endinng the day with my Percocet and a gentle stationary bike ride which always relaxes my knee for some reason.

Hope tomorrow goes better for you and I plan my first solo trip to the grocery to get a limited amount of items.
 
Hope your day went well and you managed to get to grocery store after recovering from your long car ride home. Feeling better today more "normal" amount of stiffness and ache after walking. I am going on a short break to Chicago next week. It will be my first flight so that should be interesting. Did think by now I would be able to walk further than I can so will definitely be needing ice packs for the trip.
 
I did my entire normal workday schedule from getting our son up, breakfast, meds, lunch packed and me showered and dressed. I was still feeling lively so I changed our bedding, cleaned the upstairs bath and did some laundry. Took a little rest and ice and went off krogering. Tried to be mindful that everything I bought had to be brought into the house.

Once I got home and put everything away, I went directly to the couch and slept for 2.5 hours. Other than a 10 minute ride on the stationary bike I have been taking it easy. I expect to sleep well tonite.

I was considering flying to Florida in a month or so. I will be anxious to see how you manage. My concern is the lack of leg room. Hope getting ice won't be a problem at the airport. Keep me posted on how it goes.
 
Will do - I have booked a seat with more leg room but was thinking I would probably not get one of my gel packs onto the plane with me so not bothering. I have to sit for long hours at my job so I don't think the plane trip will be worse than that as I intend to walk to back of plane a couple times during the journey. I read on here of one person who had the knee replacement out of state and had a 2 hour plane ride 2 days after surgery to get back home which I was stunned and in awe of thinking of my first days after surgery. I am looking forward to the change of scene and temperature. Summer here so hot and wet it feels like Wintertime everywhere else as don't have the energy to brave the outside too much.
Carry on doing what you are doing - it's working!!
 
I will say I booked an extra leg room seat that ended up being on the emergency exit and the leg room was less with no tray table and three people crammed into two spots. So hopefully your extra leg room is more truthful!

I have a new PT and he did some taping oft knee because I have some stinging down each side of my knee when riding. his theory is the front is too tight and this will help. Has not relieved the stinging, but I have been on my feet more the last two days and did not even take my bedtime painkiller. My bend increased to 130 so I am happy with that.

Back to work Monday. Beginning to feel like I will survive.

You might be able to take a zip top bag and get ice from a shop past security. I am fearful of getting too far from my ice pack.
 
The zip lock is a good idea. I ice most days after work. Sitting is much harder than standing for some reason. Probably the bend position. I almost hate to post in case the knee jinx arrives but have had a really good few days and felt an improvement in walking. The tight band feeling is much less and I don't tire quite so easily. Good luck with your return to work - be prepared for feeling very tired by the time you get home. Hope your weekend is going well.
 
I have pushed myself very hard the last two days and although very tired at the end of the day, I survived.

I did a lot of walking and sitting in uncomfortable chairs. My boss assures me they have the perfect height of boxes for me to prop my leg on when I go back. They really have no clue.

More taping from the PT guy trying to eliminate the popping that happens when I walk.

It does not hurt, but mentally makes me favor the leg. Hard to ignore it. I don't think it is an issue, but will check with the Dr when I see him next week.

I am doing better at sitting, but find standing in one place difficult. I went to the meat market today and had to stand and wait at least 20 minutes. It got uncomfortable. I came straight home to ice. Not looking forward to the all day bend of an office chair.

A few good days really make it all worthwhile, don't they?
 
Standing seems to be a lot harder than walking. I am at almost 5 mths. and am just now getting so I can stand comfortably for more than a few minutes and I still tend to shift from side to side after about 5 mins.
 
Ooh, standing for 20 minutes. Poor you. I hope after I get my second knee done I will eventually be able to stand without it wearing me out! Glad you survived the last two days!
 
Glad standing is a universal problem. Now I just have to wait that out.

Is anyone else having the popping feeling when walking?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom